Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen | Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla
Germany
schlenkerla.de

Style: Rauchbier

ABV may vary slightly year to year.

Bamberg's speciality, a dark, bottom fermented smokebeer, brewed with Original Schlenkerla Smokemalt from the Schlenkerla maltings and tapped according to old tradition directly from the gravity-fed oakwood cask in the historical brewery tavern.

Added by taez555 on 07-11-2001

Ratings: 2,311 |  Reviews: 1,128
4.1/5  rDev +1%

A: pours into my duvel tulip, clear brown with a hint on red in the light, a nice finger and a half head falling to thin layer.
S: as expected with style, smoky, i was expecting it to be over powering but it is not, there is a little bit of malt hiding but it is mostly smoke.
T: first taste is smoke which leads to a lightly sweet bready malt, and a strange sort of hop and smoke aftertaste that i cant exactly describe, though it is good. smoke lingers a long time
M: flavors are coating so it seem a bit thicker than it is. carbonation is medium to light.
D: overall marzen style is very drinkable, strong smoke makes for a good grilling brew

3.72/5  rDev -8.4%

This was poured into a Weihenstephan glass with about two and a half fingers of light tan head atop a black body. It smells very strongly of smoke with some malts seeping through. Upon tasting, I find the smoke very bacon-like but it's all I can taste! I nice moderate-bodied beer with low-med carbonation I can't drink one after another. Quite tasty though. I like Schlenkerla's helles lagerbier better, because of the lighter smoked flavour, I can taste other parts of the beer better.

4.17/5  rDev +2.7%

A friend of mine who introduced me to smoked beers hinted that I should get him a bottle of this while I was in Ontario. Taking the hint, I got one for myself as well.

Initial pour is about 66% ruby red beer, 33% creamy tan head. Head sloooowly evaporates, leaving nice lacing on the glass.

Fantastic smoky scent. Like bacon with a little bit of fat.

Taste isn't quite as smoky as I was expecting. A more smooth smoky flavor to go along with some light roasted malts. Slightly sweet flavor rounds it out a bit.

All around really good. I think this is going on my list of things to pick up again in the future.

3.83/5  rDev -5.7%

A: Pour is very dark with hints of red. The off-white head is really large and creamy. Dissipation is slow and uneven, but the lacings are great.

S: Smoked ham and fried bacon are what dominates.

T: Like the smell, bacon and smoked ham. A bit sweet.

M: Medium body and moderate carbonation. Aftertaste is lingering and holds obvious smoke and also some bitterness.

D: A very smoked Rauchbier. Either you'll love it or hate it. I had my first one a couple of years back - then I hated it. This time it's a lot better.

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

A-much darker than I expected with a thick foamy head that disappears slowly to leave a layer of lace

S-smells like smoked bacon and bits of malt

T-taste is similar to the smell, tastes of smoked meat with sweet malt and a very slight dry hoppy finish. Very creamy and smooth and has a surprisingly light body for such a smoky beer.

M-light to medium body, low carbonation, very smooth

D-this is one of those beers that you will either love or hate. A really great and different style to try.

2.9/5  rDev -28.6%

Poured into a pint glass.

This is one dark beer - can't see through it, to be sure. Minimal cream-colored head that last for more than two minutes.

Smells of smoke and burnt malt. Wow.

Here's how I describe the taste: Take your house and burn it down. Then take a piece of the burnt wood, add a drop of caramel to it, dunk it in a glass of water, and suck on it. This is the smokiest beer I've had to this point - holy cow!

This just did not work well in my mouth; you have to be a fan of rauchbiers to enjoy this one. If you are, this will rank pretty well with you.

To drinkability, this is a beer I just couldn't finish. Not even on a bet.

3.9/5  rDev -3.9%

Poured from 500mL bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: deep, rich brown color with a clear body and three fingers of compact tan foam. A very good looking beer.

Smell: malty aroma with a healthy dose of smoke. The smoke is not overpowering by any means, though it is pretty strong. I rather like it.

Taste: rich malt flavor with hints of caramel. Smoke is particularly big toward the end; this complements the sweetness like in a barbecue sauce. There is some bitterness toward the end, but I can't really discern much in the way of hops through all the smoke. Still, I'm enjoying this beer.

Mouthfeel: medium body with good carbonation and a pretty creamy mouthfeel. Works for me!

Drinkability: this beer is good, but it's a bit much to consume a lot of. I'm going to enjoy this bottle, but I don't think I'm likely to ever have two in a sitting.

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

Deep, intense, and dark ruby brown colour. It's large dense head looks like beige meringue and leaves behind some little patches of lace on my glass. Good head retention. It smells intensely smoky, like a campfire with smoked meat nuances. It's meaty in the sense of having that same kind of smoke aroma you get from smoked salmon or bacon. There's a bit of sweet malt underneath it all, but the aroma is ultimately all about the smoke. It's a very rich and savoury kind of aroma. It has a clean toasty malt character with a bit of sweetness, and a strong (but not overpowering) smoke flavour. Very mild hop bitterness in the finish.

Medium bodied with a fair amount of fine carbonation. Feels pillowly and soft in the mouth. The first time I had this it was a bit of a shock, but after giving it some time and a second chance knowing what I'm getting into, this is a damned good beer. This is a drinkable piece of living history, the process of malting the barley over a beechwood fire dating back to a time before someone had the idea of malting the barley in a kiln. I think I want to hunt for more rauchbiers.

4.89/5  rDev +20.4%

There is nothing-- and I mean nothing-- like a beer from Schlenkerla. The marzen, like all other beers from this brewery, is rank with smoke from top to bottom, from beginning to end. And let us not leave out the salted ham, the salami, the tobacco, the prosciutto... the entire pig, smoked on a rod, slowly, without the apple in its mouth (which I find so silly, anyhow...). If you're careful you'll detect some light hops at the end which adds just a nip to the beer. On the whole it's softer and loftier than the urbock, but not as light as the lager (both worth your $6). An acquired taste, perhaps, but one which is worth acquiring. You cannot go wrong.

2.33/5  rDev -42.6%

Not a fan. But it's probably me, and not the beer. Beautiful dark brown, nearly black, pour with a nice medium bubble carbonation. Smell was smokey and pleasant. I was a bit startled at the level of smoke aroma and it was all I could detect. Taste was unbearably of cough medicine. I'm talking the stuff from the 60's that made no attempt to hide its medicinal qualities. I tried to pick out other flavors, but I just couldn't. A little thin on the palate.

This is by far one of the most unique beers I've ever tried. I REALLY wanted to like it, but I couldn't. Again, "It's not you, baby, It's me."

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

The beer pours a hazy reddish brown color with a tan head. The aroma is very smokey with some meaty notes. I also get a little dark fruit in the aroma. The flavor is smoke, roasted malt, chocolate, dark fruit and ash. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. This beer was similar to the Urbock, but I feel this one was a little less smoky, but also more complex in the flavor department.

4.03/5  rDev -0.7%

Dark, murky brownish/red swamp color in body with floating off-white fluffy head. Aroma of ham, meats, woodchips, smoke, tobacco, spice, and black pepper. More subtle in flavor than it looks: ham, meats, smokiness, slight tobacco towards the finish, bacon, hops without the bitterness towards the finish as well. Medium in body with a rather refreshing mouthfeel and taste. A tasty brew that quenches a strange thirst for a cigarette with your bacon and eggs.

4.44/5  rDev +9.4%

Pours ruby brown with a tan foam head that has some retention. Some lacing, but limited.

For the style, a home run -- somewhere between bacon and a campfire -- but wait, just a hint of toasted malt. Can't ask for anything more for a smoked beer.

Balance here. Charred woodsmoke flavor, with some dry dark toasted bread, just a slight bit of sweetness, leading to some hop bitterness (just bitter) in the finish. Funny, no real heavy smoke in the finish. Near perfect.

Medium bodied, some carbonation -- very appropriate.

Overall, this is a beer that scares people. I was and had some preconceptions from a tasting decades ago. This smells harsher than it is, and it is a far cry from liquid bacon. Great balance allows for the drinkability. Might be tough to do more than one at a sitting, but this is very special beer. Worth the try, by far.

4.15/5  rDev +2.2%

500 mL brown bottle.

Pours a clear, dark brown with a nice off-white head of fine bubbles.

Huge smoky bacon aroma.

Smoke is the dominant flavour here. Smoked meat, campfire and charcoal come to mind. Some roasted malt notes come through and the hops pick up towards the middle and lend some bitterness. Medium body with moderate carbonation.

Pleasant and unusual.

2.79/5  rDev -31.3%

Picked this up at a local store, and did not realize the whole thing with this beer is a "smoked" flavor. I can't stand the smoked flavor, so I am trying to be nice, but this just isn't my thing.

Bottle looks old, I feel like I am back in time.

Cracked the bottle, and it literally smells like dip to me. I am scared to drink it. Good pour, nice head, dark color but light at the same time, not a heavy beer.

1st sip, tastes very smokey. Very malty, but nice and light, if they got rid of the smokedness I would probably really dig this beer. I am a little disappointed, but more with myself because I should not have purchased this beer. Seems like other people like it so I think it's just personal preference, but I feel like I am drinking beer, with a BK Smokehouse burger mixed in. Not for me, Sorry. I usually dig the German beer too.

One thing I will say is that the smokey flavor tastes more authentic than I have had in American beers, so they probably did this right.

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

500ml bottle into a pint glass.

color appears to be a lighter brown, but when held to a light reveals itself to be a deep, deep garnet. a standard pour gets me a pinky of tan head that calms to a thin film. no lace in this one.

smells strongly of campfire with herbal notes and maybe just a bit of coffee.

taste is much more refined and complex than i was expecting. starts off with a nutty and carmely malt sweetness, then comes right in with the smoked malt. herbal hop character is present with a bit of spiciness, and the bitterness hangs on tongue for a short while before fading back into smoke. very well balanced.

feel is on the lighter side of medium with enough carbonation to lend a pleasing smoothness to the beer. seems to me that the lightness helps to mellow out the flavors a bit.

very drinkable and goes down smooth. this is a well constructed beer that is true to style. i'm not normally into smoke flavors in my beer, but i would definitely buy this again.

4.47/5  rDev +10.1%

Pours a dark but clear amber brown color. The head is substantial and lasts. Lots of lacing on the glass. A fine looking brew.

The smell is quite smoky and reminds of a barbeque on the lake, a truly inviting aroma.

The taste is pretty strongly smoky, but not overwhelmingly so. There's a touch of coffee and a light but pleasant bitterness at the end.

It's moderately carbonated and is kind of light on the tongue, and the aftertaste lingers of smoke and roasted meat.

The drinkability is high for this type of beer. I could easily have two pints in a sitting, and find myself picking up a bottle of this brew every few weeks.

It would be hard to find something about this beer that I DON'T like, other than the fact it's not sold in six packs near me! A truly fine beer.

3.91/5  rDev -3.7%

Drank from my Duvel Tulip

A - Pours a dark eboiny colour witha tight off white head that stays the distance.

S - Hickory type aromas.

T - Plenty of dark smokey wood flavour, that tastes l;ike it's been poured from the inside of a burnt barrel.

M - Medium body and medium carbonation.

D - A great introduction to Rauchbier but falls short of the Urbock.

3.97/5  rDev -2.2%

A: looks like coca-cola, but with persistent and large head
S: Smells of ham, typical of rauchbier. hint of caramel
T: First unusual and intensely ham-like, but it gets normal after some time. A little bit sweet and malty. not bitter at all.
M: Somewhat light, but not thin and weak
D: First hard to get used to, but then easy to drink on

This is a very special and unique beer. The enjoyment of this beer depends on what you drank before it, what you are eating to accompany it, and what your mood is. I was not in the most adventurous mood, so I could not enjoy it as much as I did before. Still, overall good beer, highly recommended

4.07/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured into a Spiegelau tulip glass

A - like some Barq's rootbeer, off white head, bit of splotchy head

S - immediately think of smoked ribs, good charred logs of wood

T - some dark malt flavor but not a lot, wood comes towards the end, is never overpowering but does linger on the palette

M - medium bodied, about normal carbonation, a bit thinner than I thought, however still coats the mouth well

D - first time I had this beer about 3 years ago i couldnt finish it, palette has luckily changed for the better, will be trying their other versions

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured a black cola color with a thick tan head that fades relatively quickly to leave but a bit of lacing on the side of the glass. A bit of head hangs around for the duration.

The aroma is great! Smoke up front, a sweet malt comes through, but only slightly.

The taste is almost a duplicate of the aroma. Smokey. Nearly tastes of a freshly extinguished log in the fireplace. Light sweet malt pulls through. After taste of an over cooked steak from the grill (in a good way!)

Mouthfeel is surprisingly light for this amount of flavor.

Drinkability is good, also for this much flavor. I could drink a few of these no problem. Though not something I'll be in the mood to drink a lot.

This is an amazing beer. A whole new world of flavor for me. A definite gouda cheese accompaniment. Might also consider using this in a chili or black bean dish. Great experience!

3.96/5  rDev -2.5%

A special bottle. Hope I like this but not sure about it. Haven't tried that many rauchbier. Some stringy, spotty lacing which helps some with appearance.

A- Coca-cola colored. With a thick brown-grey almost ash like mousse of a head.

S- Smokey sweet malt. A little metallic. Soft caramel fruit can be found but don't focus on this, it's minimal.

T- A conservative smokiness. A little vanilla and watery caramel in what I'd describe as a smoky, very lightly hopped pale ale. Almond reminds me of amaretto. Reminds me of root beer a bit.

M- So smooth. Medium, terrific carbonation. Pretty dry.

D- Very good. I just keep wanting another sip. Light and tasty spells drinkable.

Real easy to drink. Would buy this again. Would suggest it to someone to introduce them to Rauchbier.

4.49/5  rDev +10.6%

pours a brown amber color with an off white, almost khaki colored frothy head.
as soon as i removed the cap, it was like opening the lid of a smoker. this smell of the beer is like the bark of slow smoked pork shoulder, that or some quality jerky. the smoked grain just dominated the aroma, and its an exceptional smell.
the smokiness is in the taste too, but differently. it tastes great. i've had only one other smoked beer before, but it was a smoked porter, and this beer has much much more smokey character to it, which is what i was hoping for.
this mouthfeel is very nice.
overall, i feel like this beer was a brand new experience for me. i loved it.

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

Glass - Tulip

A - Dark brown color with a nice ruby/red hue when held to light. Produced a 1-finger head that dissipated quickly. It didn't leave much lacing, a spot here & there.

S - It almost literally smells like smoked sausage! Very meaty with peppery notes and a bit of dryness. Wow, can't get beneath the big smoky characteristic! I get a bit of charcoal with very mild sweetness, as well as tobacco.

T - Deep smokiness upfront with woody & slightly herbal notes in between. Pretty much like the smell, less meaty though. Finishes with hardy, meaty flavors, some charcoal & mild sweetness.

M - Crisp and a bit thin, around lite bodied I suppose.

D - Well I couldn't say that I could toss back a whole lot of this beer, but I would enjoy a pint or two, especially with some BBQ meat! Very good, I'd like to try others of the style but I'd definitely go for more American craft brews before this one.

3.6/5  rDev -11.3%

Poured into a tulip glass. Produced a 1/2 finger head that only stuck around less than a minute, leaving a small white rim at the top. Color is dark brown and looks to be medium to high carbonation. Much like a soda.

The aroma is rich with charcoal, wood and smoke. I can see how some may say this beer smells and tastes of meat but to me it reminds me of leather. No hops to speak of.

The taste is right in-line with the smell. Wood, smoke, charcoal. and oddly enough, pork. The same sort of pork flavor you would smell as burning wood cooks pork on a grill. Hardly any bitterness just a lingering charred meat flavor in the end. Again, no hops to speak of.

A unique style of beer but definitely not my favorite. Mouthfeel is light and medially carbonated. Drinkability is good because of it's light body but i can't help relating the taste and smell to leather. Oh well. Give this beer a try if you have the chance.

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen from Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla