Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen | Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla
Germany
schlenkerla.de

Style: Rauchbier

ABV may vary slightly year to year.

Bamberg's speciality, a dark, bottom fermented smokebeer, brewed with Original Schlenkerla Smokemalt from the Schlenkerla maltings and tapped according to old tradition directly from the gravity-fed oakwood cask in the historical brewery tavern.

Added by taez555 on 07-11-2001

Ratings: 2,373 |  Reviews: 1,151
4.67/5  rDev +15%

I had the store order this special as I have been aching to try a real rauchbier. Poured a dark soda brown color with a very large head with medium retention. The aroma was unlike any brew I have tried before this - so strong and pungent I can smell it while it sits on the desk in front of me. Aroma consisted of a chalky mesquite smoke, reminded me of smoked salmon. Taste was really something else. The smoke flavors were immense, the same smoked fish, with a sweetness like smoked sausage. Also a slight hoppiness, and roasted coffee. I am glad to have tried this, I would have to say this was one of my favorite beers so far to sit down and review.

4.8/5  rDev +18.2%

Deep dark brownish red with a creamy tan head. Smell is overwhelmingly smoky. Woodsy campfire aromas, smoked meats, fish and cheese, everything smoky and wonderful. Seems as though my glass should be smoldering. Taste is smoky as well. A sweet malt Marzen flavor underlies the smoked pecan or apple wood. Touch of smoked hops, but mostly malt complexities. Smooth full smoky mouthfeel. Halfway through the glass I had some smoked cheese and sausage, and this beer went with them perfectly. Eating some smoked foods actually brought out more of the sweet flavors in the beer. Goes down very easy. I'd go back to this beer again and again. An amazing style.

4.4/5  rDev +8.4%

OK. I've had smoked sausage. I've had beer.

Now I can have both in a single swallow. This beer's smoky aroma has to be experienced to be believed. While I know it has been around for a while ;-), this has been my first smoked-malt beer, and it's about time!

The quaff was smooth, dry... and then very smoky. If you've never had a smoked-malt beer, you have to try this one. Very long finish that leaves you hungering for a sausage. And I mean that very positively!

3.88/5  rDev -4.4%

A very dark beer for a Marzen, a dark amber in color. This one is quite dry tasting, with a very pronounced smokiness to it. The dryness seems to accentuate and focus your tastebuds upon the smoke flavor. This beer has quite a good amount of Body, a certain fullness that comes through even though it is quite dry tasting. There is not much in the way of hop flavor, which is good, as it allows the subdued malt and, of course, the smoke to come through.

4.27/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

I agree with LongBeachBum's review below... this is a wonderful example of a Rauchbier, and if you love smoky tastes and creamy mouthfeel, this one will please you. If you don't appreciate a little experimentation in your beers, stay away.

All in all, I thought the nice hickory aroma was very appetizing, and it followed that the taste may be predominantly smoky. But, after a few sips, I could definitely make out the roasted malts as well as a bit of hop character. A very well balanced brew that is great for a few pints, but after that, you will probably want to move on to something else. That's not a knock, but rather, this is a specialty beer which really isn't intended for sessioning. :)

3.9/5  rDev -3.9%

A deep lightish brown colored brew with a large covering of off-white foam that will sit around for quite a while leaving you with a glass covered in lace. Before even putting my nose to the glass, deep smoky aromas hit my nose like a fire on a winter's night. Yes it is late august, but what the hell. Hidden behind the deep wall of smoke, there are some sweet malts.

Oooh! This one is deliciously smoky. I have always been a bit hesitant with rauchbiers, but I really enjoy them, so maybe I will drop that fear. I will admit that it may be an acquired taste, but that smoke is excellent. It is not overpowering, but it is definitely in full effect. There is a pretty good balance with some sweet malts and grains in there. The carbonation is light, but enough to be crisp. The body is medium to full. It is smooth and very drinkable. I don't know if I would sit down to a bunch of pints, but a couple would be just fine.

1.41/5  rDev -65.3%

This beer pours a brown color with minimal head and lacing. The aroma is the weirdest that I've noticed - smells like honey hickory smoke barbecue sauce - wonderful aroma. The taste wasn't very good though. It tasted just like it smelled, but for some reason the taste wasn't good at all. Can't say much more, but the taste was terrible.

4.15/5  rDev +2.2%

brown

Aromas of liquid smoke, campfire smoke, shirt-from-the-night-before-while-standing-around-a-campfire... also smoked cheese and smoked meats. Smoke.
There are clean, elfen, slatey flavors, fresh-scone-textured, whisperingly light, mildly sweet, even dry, that return to fairly mild smoke notes. The balance is really nice.
I strongly urge you to explore your connoisseurship of prepared mustards in the presence of this beer. Rake thick layers of any mustard over deli rye bread and place anything else upon it you want to. Eat. Drink.
See what I mean?

4.47/5  rDev +10.1%

Pours deep mahogany in color. Smokey aroma hits me already. I went in for a closer inspection. Yup, it's smoke. There's no getting past that, if you don't like smokey aromas and tastes you might want to stay clear of rauchbiers. The taste is also smokey with a hint of malt sweetness underneath it all. This is a beer to drink with a big slab of meat. The smokey flavor is very intense and is better accompanying something rather than by itself. And if you don't like to drink this, it's a wonderful cooking beer. Try cooking some bratwurst in it.

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

This isn't as good as it's brother, the Urbock, but it holds it's own. It's main differences were the taste and smell, which are two very important things. The smell wasn't as strong and had a bit more of a hoppiness to it. It still had the great smell of bacon, but just not as strong. The taste was similar to the smell. It had a definate hoppiness to it, but nothing way too overpowering. It's definately a great beer to try, but if you have the chance, go with the Urbock.

4.47/5  rDev +10.1%

Deep smoky aroma, like smoked sausage or bologna or other fatty smoked meats. Brown to darkish red in color with small off-white head. Medium carb with medium oily palate. Sweetish start (like a light maerzen) with medium hops character. Sweet smoky fatty finish and after. One of the best smoked beers I've tried (though I haven't tried many yet).

4.37/5  rDev +7.6%

I don't know what to think of this beer. It is different than anything I have ever tried. I've had some smoked beers in the past, but these Rauchbiers are on another level. Personally, I can't handle this beer! Too strong of a smoked flavor for me. It is hard for me to rate this beer so low because it seems to be a high quality crafted beer. But this is my first Rauchbier so I can't compare it to others. Tastes like smoked salmon, esp. in the aftertaste. Malts are there at the beginning and middle but dissapear after that leaving only a strong smoked flavor. I might try this again later when my palate is more advanced, but for now the rating stays.

Ok, that first review was a few years ago and since then I have tried the Marzen numerous times and I really do love it. I have come to embrace the smokiness and almost crave it when smoking meats on the grill. I like the sweetness of the malts and how they balance the smoke flavors a bit. I would love to try this or the Urbock from the cask at the brewery.

3.38/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Certainly an above average offering but does not suit my particular taste.
Very dark offering, almost black with dark red undertones.
Head was thick but short and tan in colour. Carbonation was light.
Aroma was lacking.
Taste was malt heavy, almost a coffee with indirect bitterness.
Non lingering and crisp....Impressive....Recomended

4.02/5  rDev -1%

Presentation. A 500ml bottle that cost me $3.59. The bottle label design is very similar in presentation to the first of the Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbiers that I have tried. After having had the Urbock, at least I know what to expect with the Märzen.

Appearance: A very deep chestnut brown color, lucid with a ruby-red hue when back lit. A decent tan colored head when first poured, which soon settles down to a smooth ¼” covering, which laces the glass sides with drink rings. Good levels of carbonation when swirled.

Nose: As expected, the aromas are very intense. Immediately after I opened the bottle, and long before I poured the beer, it just screamed Smoky Bacon. Gorgeous aromas of freshly fried smoked Danish Bacon sizzle on the nose. The gentle crackling of the bacon as it occasionally spits in the frying pan are all visualized with every deep inhalation of this beer. Superb!

Tastes: Smoky introduction that has malts and smoked bacon in the middle, which finishes with salty dry smoked finish. The dry finish can beg you to take another mouthfeel to quell the salty aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Pretty solid, and above average. Creamy at time thanks to the smooth flavor profile and good carbonation. Very astringent, dry, smoky finish.

Drinkability: It’s one of those beers that you either love or hate. I love it, but even so, I cannot see me have more than a couple of these before the smoked aspect becomes extremely overpowering. Also, the astringent dry smoked finish can actually make you quite parched, and wish for a thirst-quenching Pilsner to quell the aftertaste at times. I wrestled to give it a 4, and was more happy with a 3.5 in the end. A good drinker, but not in great quantities.

Overall: Quite amazing, it would make for a great English Breakfast beer; well with some Fried Eggs, Black Pudding, Baked Beans, Grilled Tomatoes and Fried Bread (and HP Brown Sauce of course). Now there's an idea.....

3.94/5  rDev -3%

This brew poured a small head of fine to medium sized light brown bubbles and a very dark brown, but still somewhat transparent, body. It has a very strong aroma of smoke about it and a very smooth smoky initial flavor that builds to an even stronger smoky finish. I rather liked it. The smoke was not too more for me as it was for some.

Smoked bacon and other meat in the aroma... seriously, how can you go wrong with bacon? Ruby colored with a white head that fades faast. Smoked ham comes though in the flavor with the marzen characteristics coming through on the front of the tongue and initially in the profile. Very nice overall and something I would definitely consider buying again.

4.37/5  rDev +7.6%

16.9 ounce bottle

Poured a very small but fine white head. The body was a reddish brown with very tiny bubbles. Surprisingly transparent which when held up to the light gave off a beautiful ruby color.

The smell of this beer is a work of art. Smoke, ham, meat, wood, charcoal, sweet malts, little to no hop at all. This beer smells like a backwoods camp fire.

The initial taste, although medium bodied, is actually very light and easy drinking. It starts off with a shot of up front bitterness, then mellows very quickly. You can taste the roasted malts, caramel, sugar and burnt molases flavors mellow in the forground but with this lovely wofting smoke and meat flavor on a sepperate plane. It almost tastes like the burnt ends of a ham. The earthy hops compliment this beer so well you almost forget there are even hops in it. A perfect balance of earthy hops and smoked malts create an impressive woodsy natural flavor to this beer.

It finishes very clean and mellow with only slight hints of the smoke flavor. Although a good burp or two minutes or hours later is guaranteed to bring hints of this beer back to you.

Overall a very unique and delicious beer. Not a beer for every occasion or every pallet. It's deffinately an aquired taste. But a beer you shouldn't miss.

4.53/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Ok this is going to be a challenge,,this style seems to drivde beer drinkers.
Comes in old fashioned brown pint bottle with parchment style label.
Wow this is one beautiful looking beer ,dark brown with deep ruby accents, toppedby a massive frothy off white head..the head shrinks but persists wonderfully.
MM lovelly smokey aroma like lightly smoked Scottish salmon..or venison..very appetizing.
Wonderful taste..i like the dry smokiness it leaves on the back of my mouth..i can taste some nicely roasted malts beneath..but no hops to speak of, maybe the smokiness covers them..but this is good stuff.
Very smooth for a start on the tongue then the great rough smokieness takes over..great.
WEll I am happy to say I am in the ranks oif those that like Smoked beer..this was a great.will try more of this style.

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

Pours a clear reddish/brown, large tan head that slowly recedes to leave thick lacing. Aroms is strong with smoke, bacon, and some saltiness. Flavor starts of a bit sweet, middle comes the smoke, end is long and lingering with a smoked bacon flavor. Body is medium, fairly slick, minimal carbonation present.

2.82/5  rDev -30.5%

Poured a red brown with little head. Strong aroma of smoke and little else.As for taste, this is my first try of a smoked beer. I can't decide if this is good or not, because the smokiness is overpowering! There just doesn't seem to be anything else there. The smell reminds me of a campfire that has been doused with water, and the smell of the hot steaming coals. Not something I think I'd try again.

3.72/5  rDev -8.4%

I could smell the embers immediately upon opening. Wow! Super smoky and much more than the Weizen I tried recently. Dark and brown reminds me of a glass of coke with the ice melted. Same exact color. Short fluffy head but dissapears quickly. Taste is smoky, malty and sweet. I can't find any hops in this one. Again, aroma is real smoky like a smoked bacon or beef. I like this beer but I also am a fan of smoked foods. You'll most likely have to be in order to appreciate this style.

3.62/5  rDev -10.8%

I had the rauchbier weizen and was less than impressed. The smoke seemed stale and overpowered the rest of the beer. Here however, the smoke seemed to complement the beer more. I was reminded of grilled meat (of course not with a gas grill, those wastes of grills) and campfires. I could see this going well with a nice grilled steak or some fat grilled hamburgers, but I'm not so sure I could handle a lot of it.

2.95/5  rDev -27.3%

This brew poured a quick dissolving head and left virtually no lacing on the sides of my mug. It has a strong smoky aroma which absolutely turned me off. It had an aftertaste to it. It poured a dark amber color. It has too smoky of a taste for my personal enjoyment. I just could not acquire a taste for this brew.

4.14/5  rDev +2%

Pours to a brown/ruby color with a tan head that leaves good lacing. The aroma is smoky like a nice smoked fish or cheese. It just smells so delicious. It is like my cousin, STUBOB’s grill when his is smoking up some good grub for us to eat during a tasting session. The flavor is smoky and malt. It is super smooth and relatively light in body. I wish I had some smoked cheeses, meats and fish to try with this beer.

4.42/5  rDev +8.9%

Brewed soley from smoked malt! It pours a clear, reddish-copper body topped by a creamy ivory head which holds well and leaves some nice lace. The aroma is of intense Beechwood smoke over a gentle maltiness. The body is medium; and combines with a fine-bubbled, median carbonation to give it a lightly crisp and then somewhat creamy mouthfeel. The flavor is drenched in Beechwood smokiness throughout, but starts malty upfront with a touch of toastiness/toffee, followed by a good dose of bitterness as it heads towards the swallow. It finishes long and dry with a solid bitterness and a lingering smoke character. Although its smokiness will surely build on the palate after a few servings (diminishing its drinkability), it's still satisfying from start to finish within the first glass. Very nice! A classic example of Bamberg-style rauchbier that's absolutely worth trying; although their Weizen version might make a better first-step for the uninitiated.

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen from Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla