Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen | Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla
Germany
schlenkerla.de

Style: Rauchbier

ABV may vary slightly year to year.

Bamberg's speciality, a dark, bottom fermented smokebeer, brewed with Original Schlenkerla Smokemalt from the Schlenkerla maltings and tapped according to old tradition directly from the gravity-fed oakwood cask in the historical brewery tavern.

Added by taez555 on 07-11-2001

Liked:
4.06/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 2,335 |  Reviews: 1,139
3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

3.25/5  rDev -20%

4.18/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured from a 16.9 oz bottle in to a snifter.

A- Pours a clear dark brown body with some red around the edges. Head consists of a frothy gray cap which disappears in just seconds.

S- Smokey! Smoked, salty meats. Bacon. Pancetta. Brown sugar ham. A little campfire-like smoke, but it's mostly meat-like.

T- You guessed it... smoked meat all the way. Lighter flavor than the Urbock if I remember correctly. I can easily drink the whole bottle to myself without the flavor raping my taste buds.

M- Light body and medium-light carbonation. I wish it was a little chewier.

O- Pretty tasty overall. I'll definitely be having this and the Urbock sometime in the future.

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

I picked up a bottle of Aecht Schlenkerla's Rauchbier Marzen a month ago for $4.59 at The Lager Mill. I Like Rauchbier's but I don't drink them very often and I thought it's about time I finally give this beer a try, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 16.9oz bottle into a German style mug.

A- The label looks ok, it's got an old look to it like they haven't ever changed the label which isn't a bad thing but it's not that eye catching. It poured a nice slightly ruby brown color that took on more of a ruby hue when held to the light with a finger and a half worth of slightly darker tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty lacing behind. This is a pretty good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with medium amount of sweetness with the smoke being the first to show up and it pretty much dominates this beer with a huge smokey aroma, there's a little bit of campfire smokiness to it, but it's the smoked meat and ham like aromas that seem to stick out the most. Up next comes a noticeable herbal aroma but other than that it's pretty much a smoke bomb. The aroma is pretty good and I like the smoked meat aspect.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly lower amount of medium sweetness followed by the malts being the first to show up and they impart a nice grainy, toasted malt, caramel malt, and a slight nutty flavor. Up next comes the smoke which still sticks out the most and imparts a nice 50/50 mixture of campfire and smoked meat like flavors. On the finish comes some of the herbal aspects that I picked up in the aroma and it's followed by a lower amount of bitterness with a pretty smokey aftertaste that lingers just for a little bit. This was a pretty good tasting beer, It was much more balanced than the aroma and I liked that.

M- Smooth, clean, fairly crisp, on the light side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel is pretty good and it works well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a pretty good beer and a pretty good example of the style, I haven't gotten that Smoked meat flavor in many smoked beersand I thought that it worked well with the campfire smoke aspect and it helped the smoke not wear on the palate. This beer had pretty good drinkability, it was smooth, clean, fairly crisp, not filling, and the taste did a nice job at holding my attention, I thought the smoke would start to wear on me, but it doesn't and I think I could drink a couple pints of this but that may be my limit. For some reason I think this would be a nice fall time beer, maybe because of the smokey aspect. What I liked the most about this beer was the balance in the taste, the smoke really showed up, but it wasn't too overpowering and it let some of the nice Marzen flavors come through. What I liked the least about this beer was nothing, there isn't anything that I can of think that would improve this beer, it's good just the way it is. I would buy this beer again when I'm in the mood for the style and I would recommend it to anyone who likes smoked beers. I like the style but in my experience some of them wear on me quickly with the harsher smoke flavor, but this beer kept all aspects pretty balanced and it was more drinkable than i thought it would. This beer made a good first impression for Aecht Schlenkerla, I'll be looking for more of their beer and so far this is my favorite traditional German Rauchbier, Nice job guys, this is one tasty and drinkable Rauchbier, keep up the good work.

3.25/5  rDev -20%