Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen | Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier MärzenAecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Style: Rauchbier

ABV may vary slightly year to year.

Bamberg's speciality, a dark, bottom fermented smokebeer, brewed with Original Schlenkerla Smokemalt from the Schlenkerla maltings and tapped according to old tradition directly from the gravity-fed oakwood cask in the historical brewery tavern.

Added by taez555 on 07-11-2001

Reviews: 1,106 | Ratings: 2,249
4.07/5  rDev +0.2%

1 pt. 09 oz. bottle purchased for $4.29 on 6-24-07 at Whole Foods Portland. Contrary to what's listed here on the site, my bottle informs me that this beer contains 5.1 abv. Recipe change?

Pours a very dark reddish hue. Looks black until you hold it up to the light. Solid 2 inch off-white head leaves free form lacing while making a hasty exit. The aroma is almost exclusively of smoked meats. Like jerky and smoked salmon. More powerful than I had anticipated. But I like it. The taste is the same. Very smoky, and all I can think about is how much I love smoked salmon. This beer brings back memories that have nothing to do with beer. I like that. There is some definite hop bitterness in the middle, and I don't get any sweetness until the very end. Very interesting brew. Love the smoke, but there is something in the aftertaste that I wish would just leave me alone. Something in there just doesn't belong, imo. There is also a slight abrasiveness on the tongue. But this is still a very good beer, and I'd definitely purchase it again if my smoke-tooth starts harassing me again. Can't help but wonder what a touch of this could do for a nice homemade bbq sauce. Or maybe a marinade. Overall, I'm impressed.

4.47/5  rDev +10.1%

The Rauchbier (German for smoke beer) is one very unique beer and I have to admit I simply
LOVE IT! It is a completely novel experience and this was in my expectation after reading
a lot of what the folks who tried it had to say. I have to admit it was better than I
expected. I tried this beer at Brauhaus, United Square, Novena; I believe that's the only
place in Singapore where you can find this hard-to-get beer. So on to the tasting; the beer
it had a slightly burned smell (which I expected). The Rauchbier poured out coffee black
with very little head which dissipated in an instant. It has a taste of smoked ham or
smoked sausages along with the beery feel. For the Chinese folks out there, I would say
you may relate this taste to some of those dark chinese teas or some herbal teas; that
burned-like taste. The after taste was also a nice soothing taste of mildly smoked ham or
sausages. The beer is very smooth and extremely drinkable; I love the unique taste and
after taste and before trying it, I expected that I would probably give it a 7 or 8 but
it was really good and deserving a 9. I would love to drink this again; check out more on
smoke beers here: and also the company's official website:; truly one-of-a-kind and a class of it's own.

I tried this a second time on 14 June 07 and felt that it tasted pretty bitter. The smell
and taste is the same except for this bitterness. The difference is I had a pork knuckle
to go with the Rauchbier the last time. Shrug...

4.44/5  rDev +9.4%

I was very happy to get a hold of this beer. Let's see how this goes.

A- The beer pours a dark caramel brown. There is a very small layer of head with some mild lacing.

S- Wow. I'm not really new to the style but this beer has intense aromas. The first thing I get is smokiness. I'm also getting a faint liquor smell and mild florals scents. Smoky is really an understatement here.

T- The beer tastes much like it smells; like smoke. I'd say it's somewhat like mesquite but not quite the same. It was perhaps a bit overcarbonated. I also get a caramel flavor. The beer actually tasted a bit better as it warmed. I may have served it too cold.

M- The beer has a moderate body and feels great in the mouth. After a while, it can be a drain on your taste buds though.

D- This is the ultimate beer to enjoy with barbeque. As with the style, I think it should be enjoyed sparingly and correctly. Highly recommended.

4.32/5  rDev +6.4%

1pt .9oz brown bottle

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Marzen was a mahogany in color with an off-white head. The head had decent retention and left some lacing. The aroma was dominated by smoke. The taste was sweet malt with plenty of smoke with some bitterness towards the long, smoky, dry finish. It was medium bodied with fairly mild carbonation. Drinkability was good. It's a nice beer with a good smoke flavor. It's definately worth a try.

3.52/5  rDev -13.3%

Clear ruby mahogany body. Tan tiny to medium bubbled head, decent retention and lace.
Heavy smoke and wood scents, peat and earth notes.
Smokey flavor, lots of peat and earth. Abit of a sour note. Earthy hops and burnt rye aftertaste.
Medium body, somewhat hydrating and abit of coating.
Good drinkability.

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

What an interesting experience.

A= Poured a nice dark caramel-brown, small head without much foam but yet still somehow mustered to grow a modest foamy creamy head that left some mild lacing.

S= Smoke, at first. A touch of liquor-smell but not the potent kind which melts nostril-hair. Some mild florals scents, and reminiscences of being in an old furniture store with wooden floors and a lingering odor of furniture polish. More smoky wood.

T= At first, it's just pure smoke. My wife says mesquite-smoke and nearly choked on her obligatory test-sip. She said she'd rather go lick out our barbeque grill. Me-- I thought it was great, although a bit too much carbonation at the start, which only seemed to accentuate the smoky taste. After the beer settles for a few minutes, the other nice qualities of caramel and florals begin to appear. Not much hoppiness or bite. After it sat for half an hour or more, it was actually at its best-- very nicely blended, no carbonation in the way of the flavor, and the smokiness gently blended into the overall experience.

M= After it sat for a while, a delightful mouthfeel of mild sweetness but not syrupy, very nice caramel and its own uniqueness.

D= Depending on one's desire to let this go a bit flat for a while and then drink it slightly warmed down, it's super and could even be a nice session-beer if one could afford it.

4.12/5  rDev +1.5%

It pours a clear mahogany with deep amber flashes along the edges. A finger of soft off-white head sinks away to little if anything at all. And yet, filigrees of lacing adorn the inside of the glass. Go figure.

The aroma is every bit what is expected, and that's the edgy, wood-fire bite of well and duly smoked malt. Like a burned building, it keeps on giving off that aura. But in no way is it bothersome or overdone, because a touch of maltiness keeps it grounded and centered.

Upon tasting, that smoke plumes forth yet again with a tongue-engulfing, salty earthiness, like that of cured meet, but underneath is a sweet, charred caramel notion. A quick mention of hops gives a light spice coating to the continuing sugary barbecue tang. The finish is a lingering melding of the woodsy smoke and a general dry crispness. If this is your thing, as it is mine, this is a very tasty and artful specimen.

Light bodied, it fills the mouth as though it's bigger, with a round creaminess that keeps the smokey earthful malt on the palate some time.

I've had smoked beers, not even rauchbiers, that smell all too much of spent wood or ashcans. Not here though, as the smoke is deep, rich, and woody, delivering the notable edge of controlled combustion. On it's own, it's fairly drinkable, but with virtually any assertively savory food, it becomes a luscious companion. So I'll split the difference and say it's plenty good. And the whole time, it's like you're drinking a pint of brewing history.

3.59/5  rDev -11.6%

I believe this brew is true to its style.

The aroma is of course smokey. Kind of camp fire-ish. Reminds me of summer BBQ's with smoked meat.

It looks ok. Head was ok size. Head retention was average compared to other smoked Beers that I've had. Colour was darkish brown.

Flavour was just like smoked ham! I thought I tasted a bit of hickory, but my friends disagree.

Mouthfeel was nothing special. If anything the carbonation was too strong, or crisp.

Overall, I like it, I think it would go well with some game meat. Stronger flavoured cheeses like an aged white chedar too. Or with kielbasa.

4.72/5  rDev +16.3%

Appearance: gorgeous deep scarlet, nice head and lacing.

Smell: Wow! that's different, is your first thought, very pronounced smokiness. Salmon, cured meat smell, some charred wet wood also.

Taste: at first sip you're cautious given the intense smell, but it is very smooth. The taste is very much like the smell, but with a nice malt sweetness. Slight hop bitterness makes for a balanced finish.

My first German rauchbier, and I'm hooked. As for drinkability, you feel like you have gotten your protein for the day with just one, but it goes down very easy. Would drink lots if I could afford it.

3.96/5  rDev -2.5%

So this is my second rauchbier(I haven't typed the first ones notes out), but I instantly have more respect for them than the american smoke beers....with those I am always left wondering where is the smoke...but with these it is easily tasted and smelled....

A- This beer poured a very dark amber brown with hints of orange coming in with the light...the head was about an inch tall and left a sticky lace all around the glass.
S- I'm a vegetarian so this(and the urbock) taste and smell like meat(to me at least.) Thick rich malts, smokey, meaty bacony beefjerky like smell...spicy and savory...light caramel malts, but not in a sweet way.
T/M/D- This a really unique mouth feel....big round and smooth malts....the beer is extremely easy to drink, medium bodied and filling...smokey and meaty almost a liquid beef jerky feel...It is really unique and wonderful....if you don't like it on first taste you will appreciate it when you finish the bottle. Not something for everyday, but definitively something I will return too.

4.17/5  rDev +2.7%

Poured from a 16.9oz (500ml) bottle to a wine goblet - a $3 bottle from Stumptown in Portland, OR. Listed ABV on the bottle is 5.1%.

A: Rather mundane mahogany-brown. Deep and dark but lacking in carbonation and head - just a thin and soapy film covering less than half the glass.

S: So smoky. Reminiscent of a campfire, roasting hot dogs over charred embers. On-dimensional (all smoke), but it's a good smell...

T: Wow, tastes even more intense than the smell. This is not a beer that will please most people but I find it pretty wonderful. Sweet smokiness, hints of BBQ meat, molasses, charcoal. Intrinsic woody-flavor, charred malts.

M: Mouthfeel is surprisingly light, but lacks carbonation. Smoke is ever-present, but clings lightly to the palate, on the back of the tongue and down the throat.

D: If I want a smoky-tasting beer, i'm going for this one. Really, it's like no other beer I've had; even smoked malt porters come nowhere near this. I wouldn't have this all the time, but would definite recommend it for a try (under the premise that it's S-M-O-K-Y).

2.86/5  rDev -29.6%

This was the smokiest rauchbier I've ever had, and that isn't necessarily a good thing! It is very substantial, and has a flavor remiscent of eating fresh bacon inside a smokehouse, but not enough beer character for me. Not very drinkable, but very interesting.

It boured a sparkling red color with a medium amount of head from a mini-keg. It had a salty, smokey, meaty smell. It was downright bacon-like in flavor, but I wish had more beer character. I felt the beer-flavor in this beer was totally overwhelmed by this bacon flavor. It had a salty mouthfeel, like a mouthful of seawater. Not very drinkable.

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

Served in a bottle and poured into a stemmed Pilsner glass.

Appearance: brown and clear with hints of red. Head formed and laced as it settled.

Aroma: briny smoke dominates, reminds of hickory smoke (brewery actually smokes its malt with beechwood).

Taste: exceptional, again a briny smoked flavor which reminds me quite a bit of smoked salmon. The smoke dominates the palate and overwhelms the marzen character, but a fantastic pairing with smoked foods or barbecue.

Mouthfeel: on par with a marzen, not heavy or light.

Overall drinkability: this is one of my favorite beers. Most people either love it or hate it. If you enjoy smoked foods and don't mind this flavor in your beer then this is one to try. Typically I will have no more than one in an evening as any more seems like too much of a good thing...

4.17/5  rDev +2.7%

16.9 oz. bottle poured into a mug.

Appearance: Pours an extremely dark red colour, rather clear. Head is relatively dense and foamy -- not too big, but a nice tan colour that laces the glass.

Aroma: Has a truly unusual smokey -- yet somewhat sweet -- aroma. Like a smoked ham with a sugar glaze -- not something I would ask for in a beer, but it smells really appetizing.

Taste: Initially tastes quite malty, and that separates into the smoked ham flavor, with a quite noticable sweeter malt undertone.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied and quite smooth. Very light carbonation.

Drinkability: Alcohol-wise no problem. Flavor-wise this can become a bit too much too soon.

The smell is very interesting and unique, but it doesn't translate as well into the flavor. Still nice and enjoyable, but a bit excessive at times. (I'd rather be eating that smoked ham right now!) Nevertheless, I still think that this is definitely a beer worth trying. And I'd consider having it again, especially when I had some discerning friends over.

4.42/5  rDev +8.9%

Rauchbier is a love-it-or-hate-it drink. Don't be discouraged by bad reviews since this is not for everyone. For the adventurous awaits a truly unique beer.

The Marzen is my favorite, but the Urbock is quite good too.

Even someone who is turned off at the smokey smell or first taste is encouraged to keep at it. This beer gets better as you drink it.

This is coming from someone who loves black licorice, so take that as you will. If you don't like Schlenkerla, that just means more for ME!

1.32/5  rDev -67.5%

Oh god...what was I thinking. This is a smokebeer. I don't know I didn't catch that before. I smelled and tasted like bacon. I am not a fan of bacon. The pour was ok. It was a light brown really. However, the hint of smoke or as I call it bacon was just over powering. After my first sip I was tempted to pour it out. However, I stuck it out and was left with the same feeling. It wasn't that good.

3.06/5  rDev -24.6%

Pours a dark brown color, nice carbonation, nice two finger creamy head which lasts a long time, nice sticky lacing throughout the drink. The nose is malty, smoked big time, toffee, and caramel. The taste is malty, smokey, with nice touch of caramel. Medium body. Drinkable, the taste reminds me of sardines, so because of this I would not buy again.

3.12/5  rDev -23.2%

500ml bottle purchased from LCBO in Toronto. Pours a clear, medium brown with no head and a bit of carbonation. Aroma reminiscent of a smoky fireplace. Taste is of malts, quickly replaced by a smoky aftertaste, which is not as dominating as I was fearing. The beer went down pretty nicely in the end, and I must admit I was a bit terrified about drinking this one based on some of the reviews I read. On the other hand, my wife just told me that I smell like cigarettes. Not my cup of tea (or pack of smokes), but interesting to try. Would love to see what their smoky weizen is like.

3.88/5  rDev -4.4%

Had on tap in Nuremberg Germany, and also from imported bottles at a UK Beer Festivals. Looks dark bronze colour, with good head to start, though did not last the whole length of the glass. Smell is roasted, slightly malty and sweet, but dominated by the smoked aroma, which comes as a shock unless you were expecting it. The taste follows the aroma well, fairly rich and hints of malted sweetness, with a smoky taste (wood burning, NOT cigarettes!!) similar to that you expect with smoked ham, fish or cheeses. Some hint of hoppy bitterness in the finish, but not much. I thought that on tap was smoother, less smokey in character and slightly richer in texture than that from the bottle, but guess there could be slight variations anyhow. I enjoyed it more on tap than from the bottle. It is an easy to drink beer, though not necessarily a thirst quencher for a hot day, as it should be served "cellar" temp, not ice cold! I would say this is definately an acquired taste, with the smoked character dividing opinion as to something you would like or maybe hate! If you do not enjoy smoked foods, then probably worth avoiding. I enjoy this beer, but would not want more than a couple of glasses at one time.

B'ham UK

3.95/5  rDev -2.7%

Poured from a unique bottle into a pint, fills the glass well with a one finger head up top that settles, leaving excellent lace. Color is off-black: very dark with hints of red and brown. I don't think I've ever quite smelled a beer like this. To say the roasted quality is coming through in high definition would be an understatement. It smells like charcoal- a true Rauchbier. Subtle hints of lemon come through, but mostly a deep burnt quality. Cool.

Taste follows through with the nose, although there is a rich porter-like quality of mild hops, barley, and molasses. Mouthfeel is excellent. Full, creamy without being cloying, and smooth without being watery. Drinkability is high, although this style might not agree with everyone, and I think about 1 beer will do it for me because of the intensity. For the style, though, this is a very good 'bier.'

3.33/5  rDev -18%

Pours mahogany/red with a loose ring of a head on it. Jerky and smoke odor is weaker than expected. Taste is spicy, meaty beef and smoked gouda. A little bitter. Kind of like drinking water that several cigars have been extinguished in (if you can imagine that in a good way). Drinkable because its interesting enough to keep drinking it but not too weird to make you want to stop.

3.6/5  rDev -11.3%

Dark cloudy brown pour, small bubbly head. Aromas dominated by a citrusy hickory smokiness- some malt present but fleeting. Taste was surprisingly fruity- great malt flavor in the background while the smoke wasnt overdone. No unpleasant aftertaste, though I would have liked some more hop flavor to balance the malt. Almost like a stout in its mouthfeel- smooth, silky and slightly carbonated- very easy going down but like most most smoked beers the palate suffers from overload after a few of these.

3.88/5  rDev -4.4%

Dark but translucent, with nice red and brown hues. Slight head. Nose is smoky, oily malts. Taste is pleasant, like nice roasted coffee beans and toasted smoky malts. Mouthfeel is good, and so is drinkability. Good beer for the style. I'd like to marinate some fish in this stuff.

3.81/5  rDev -6.2%

Whoa! This is a rauchbier? At least it definitely smells like smoke. This is my first rauchbier, so bottoms up!

This brew pours with a vast amount of carbonation and produces a beautiful sticky and light tan head. The body is dark ruby in color, but is actually quite haze free.

The taste is sweet and smoky at the same time. It reminds me of the smoked salmon you get in slices at home. I suppose this would go with a cuisine like that, or to balance out a sweet dessert.

4.57/5  rDev +12.6%

Found this in a little store in Denver, not sure if I've ever seen it before. 1pt 6oz bottle.
Pours a very dark brown, just shy of black. Medium to small brown head, looks a bit thin when compared with the body. Used a Duvel snifter glass, wasn't sure which glass to use with a smoked beer.
Smell is amazing. A huge jerky smell, yet not so dry. That's really about it. Maybe some raisin.
Taste is liquid jerky, a bit of alcohol. Chewy, yet smooth. Is not as thick as it looks or smells. Drank very well. Good for pairing with grilled meats, I'd imagine

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen from Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla