Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen | Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla
Germany
schlenkerla.de

Style: Rauchbier

ABV may vary slightly year to year.

Bamberg's speciality, a dark, bottom fermented smokebeer, brewed with Original Schlenkerla Smokemalt from the Schlenkerla maltings and tapped according to old tradition directly from the gravity-fed oakwood cask in the historical brewery tavern.

Added by taez555 on 07-11-2001

Reviews: 1,120 | Ratings: 2,289
3.9/5  rDev -3.9%

I have to admit, I bought this beer not knowing it was a smoked beer. I was looking for something different, and the dude at BevMo suggested this one. Fact of the matter is, I'm not big on smoked beers. This one rocks tho.

Appearance: Deep ruby red, with a very prominent, but loose head that doesn't last.

Smell: Smoke, ash , the smell of your clothes after a camp-out, smoked meat. If you've ever been around a smokehouse, you know what I'm talking about. Better yet, your nose never gets over-loaded, and you can still smell the smoke after 15 minutes. Normally, your nose forgets.

Taste: Uhhhh....smoke. Imagine drinking carbonated smoke. Oddly, it's not overpowering like smoked salmon or some smoked meats. Unlike your nose, your taste-buds DO get used to the smoke taste.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied, good balance of body and carbonation.

Drinkablity: It's awesome. Not the most drinkable beer, but well worth a try.

4.34/5  rDev +6.9%

Presentation: 1 pint 9oz bottle with a wicked looking font, poured into a mug.

Appearance: Clear, orange/amber with a frothy white head that disippates to a ring of lace.

Aroma: Has the smell of caramel, light chocolate and malt and some light hops, but the highlight is the smoke. It's not as strong as I was expecting. In fact, it blends very nicely with the malt to produce a very nice flavor. It was a bit odd at the very first, but by the end of the first sip, I was ready for more. Has a very nice, smooth mouthfeel.

Notes: At the time of this review, it was my first rauchbier. I didn't know what to expect, but I ended up really enjoying this beer. I'm looking forward to more.

This also paired very nicely with homemade, smoked barbeque ribs.

4.44/5  rDev +9.4%

A: Golden brown, with a tan head that dissipates fast living some lacing.

S: Trully unique and spectacular: woodburning fireplace, smoked meats, hints of bacon.

T: Very impressive as well: roasted malts, with pronounced smoked sausage, smoked meats. It has a somewhat dry finish, drier than their other rauchbiers.

M: Medium-bodied, pleasant.

D: Easy to drink, perfect pairing with smoked meats, I love it with sausage like all other Heller-Trum rauchbiers.

2.83/5  rDev -30.3%

Wow. Being a fan of American smoked porters, I was excited to try a rauchbier. I don't think anything could have prepared me for this one, save a bottle of KC Masterpiece. The beer pours a transparent dark brown/red color with a thin white head. Good retention and lacing. The smell is pure smoked hickory, jerky, and anything else you would find at a barbecue pit.

Unfortunately the taste is the same. It is straight-up smoked meat, hickory, and barbecue sauce. I tried very hard to decipher "beer" qualities (like hops or malt) and just couldn't find them. I'm sorry to say I had a very difficult time even finishing this beer. The taste is that pungent. But I do understand what this beer is trying to accomplish, and appreciate its uniqueness, which is why I didn't slam its score. Mouthfeel is clean and crisp.

If you know what you're getting into, love barbecued food (enough to drink it), or want a completely new beer experience, try this rauchbier. Personally it was a little too much for me to handle, and has probably made me gun shy toward other rauchbiers out there. I'll stick to the American smoked.

3.83/5  rDev -5.7%

Wow, this has been something I've been meaning to explore for quite sometime. The rauchbier style has intrigued me for awhile but nothing could prepare me for what I was about to taste. This pours a clear dark chestnut brown in color with a tan, bubbly head. Attractive lacing down the side of my pint. Aroma of smoked malt with a touch of fruitiness. The nose is also somewhat medicinal. Medium-bodied mouthfeel is very smooth. Unbelievable smoked malt taste that gets even stronger in the finish. I know there's an underlying marzen beer underneath but the smokiness of the beer just dominates throughout. Way, way in the back you can start to pull out some of the caramel and a hop bitterness that attempts to keep things in check.

This is a beer that begs to be consumed with food. It's a most unique style. This would obviously pair well with smoked foods like salmon, BBQ ribs and grilled sausage. The style is probably an acquired taste and I think it takes a few times to "get it". But once you do... wow, it's amazing.

4.19/5  rDev +3.2%

Appearance: darker brown , not opaque , with a thin off white head and a decent lace.

Smell: Very pleasant smokeiness , ash , the smell of a campfire the next morning , smoked meat.

Taste: smoke smoke smoke! The smoke is infused into this brew more than one could imagine , and it's delicious! Smoked meats , bit of medium bodied maltiness , just a bit of balancing bitter hop , jerky , smoked anything!

Mouthfeel: medium bodied and slightly silky.

Drinkablity: This is one unique brew , and a superior example of the Rouchbier marzen style. This beer would pair great with smoked fish like mullet or grilled shark steaks , as well as any smoked or meats grilled over wood coals.

3.99/5  rDev -1.7%

Wow, this really does smell like smoked pork, which is pretty cool. Yes, this is my first rauchbier, in case you were wondering. Nose is pure smoke and spice, if blindfolded you would swear you were smelling jerky or something.. Color is a dark caramel with a cap of head and not much else. Lacing is thick and everywhere.

Malty taste, with strong undertones of smoked meat that stays with the aftertaste and beyond. Spice is also dominant but the mouthfeel is surprisingly clean and smooth, considering you're drinking a sausage.

The clerk at Grapes and Hops where I picked this up said (of this beer) that "you either love it or hate it. I'm kind of ambivilant about it." I think I'm more in the like category. This is amazingly different and tasty, but not really for everyday consumption. I also feel a coronary coming on from just tasting this brew. Only for the adventurous (and carnivorous), but they shall be rewarded.

4.35/5  rDev +7.1%

Pours deep reddish amber with a thick off-white head. Lacing sticks to the glass.

A strong smokiness, like smoked pork is the first obvious aroma. A hint of caramel sweetness lies underneath.

The taste is very smoky. Smoked, lightly salted, pork with a woody touch, remains firm throughout the drink. It mixes with sweet caramel. Just enough earthy hops keep it in balance. It finishes clean, and the smokiness lasts in a long aftertaste.

It's very smooth. Medium-bodied. Has a nice texture to it.

This is a great accompaniment to a smoked sausage or other meats. A nice fall barbecue beer. I've had it alone, and it's good for what it is - can be a bit much, but to complement the right food, it's very good.

4.12/5  rDev +1.5%

16.9oz bottle

Pours a clear mahogany brown with a small white head that fades. Speckled lacing on the glass.

Thie beer smells extremely smoky. It smells exactly like the pit barbeque place where I frequently eat lunch. It's making me hungry for a pit beef sandwich....

Rich smoky flavor upfront that lessens and shows just a hint of malt befor the finish. It finishes surprisingly clean and leaves very little smoky aftertaste. By far the smokiest beer I've tasted.

Medium body, mild carbonation.

While not a session beer, this will certainly make a regular appearance in my cellar. It's very drinkable, even with such a robust smokiness. This would be beautiful to drink while eating some rare beef...

3.9/5  rDev -3.9%

Poured into my quasi-stange (a 14-ounce ex-plum jam jar). My bottle is labeled as containing 5.1% abv, a negligible difference from the 5.4% stated on this website. Clear dark russet with a lumpy cloud of khaki foam. Smells unmistakably like a toasted sandwich with shaved smoked ham and melty smoked gouda (God, I bet that sandwich would pair superbly with this beer). Deeper whiffs reveal a bit of a worty malt scent, but really the only aroma that matters here is the smell of meaty smoke. This smoked pork flavor powerfully introduces the taste and lingers throughout the middle of the sip, at which point the faint hops and bready malt flavor of the Maerzen beer comes through briefly. Then a rather strong mineral taste seeps in, lasts through the finish, and then disappears in a cloudy, smoky aftertaste that lasts about half a minute. Sticky webs of lacing hang about. After a bit, the smoke flavor takes on more of a "been breathing through my mouth at a campfire" character. Medium body, slightly chewy, overall dry mouthfeel. This is really unlike any other beer I've ever tasted. I've had smoked porters before, but they ain't got nothin' on the smokiness of this specimen. It's truly fascinating. It strikes me as something I'd only crave from time to time, and only on certain occasions. Nevertheless, I could see this beer really growing on some folks' palates and becoming a regular choice for everyday drinking. Simply put, a fascinating beer.

3.94/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer poured a very dark amber/brown with a thick tan head. It definitely smelled of sweet smoke and slightly malty. The taste is malty and sweet with a heavy smoke flavor. The mouthfeel is full but not chewy. This is far more drinkable than I was expecting in a smoked beer and I’d consider it highly drinkable.

3.96/5  rDev -2.5%

Pours a dark ruby color with tan head that is on the small side but retains well. Thick lacing covers the sides of the glass.
Smells like a brush fire. I love that smell.
Taste is like smoke sausage. An incredible beer for a cook out or to pair with a good steak.
Mouthfeel is good. It feels lighter than the taste though.
It a very tasty beer, but I think it would be best to save this one for the right occasions. Not really a session beer.

3.77/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer is fairly dark and there was a thin head. The smell features the smoke flavor prominatly as does the taste. The style profile states this type of beer may taste like smoked meat and this is evident as well. This beer tastes like smoked salmon. The mouthfeel is fairly smooth and the drinkability is good. A very different type of beer.

4.08/5  rDev +0.5%

A clear, dark copper pour with some crimson highlights makes for a unique color. Fine, off-white head persists rather nicely. The dominant smell is of smoke--the real sort of wood smoke that evokes an open fire or heavily smoked bacon. Sweet malts peek through a bit as well. Taste starts out with a sweet maltiness that quickly bows to a smokiness that is full and rich but not overly assertive, especially for this style. Dry in the finish, with a pleasant crispness. The mouthfeel is nicely balanced for such an "unbalanced" beer--not too chewy or clingy but not too crisp to betray the malty foundation of the style. More drinkable than I would have expected, even when compared to beers outside the style.

4.42/5  rDev +8.9%

Woody mahogany color with a soapy tan head. Retention holds a nice thick looking ring . Nose is loaded with smokey wood. Reminds me of hickory meat seasoning. This would go great with a good steak. Yummy meaty aromas include ham, bacon, and pork (the whole pig it seems). Just the right malts mesh tightly with the smokey meat scents. Delightfully robust in nose and taste too. Flavors match the nose and leave the palate drooling for german meats. Mouthfeel is rather smooth and softly creamy in texture. Very drinkable, and probably even more so with the right meal.

A good choice and certainly worth getting again. Not to mention this would make a premium marinade.

4.1/5  rDev +1%

Pours a beautiful dark reddened amber color with a slight creamy head. Smells deeply of smoked meats...bacon or ham comes to mind. The taste lessens up on the smoke and actually lets more of a malt sweetness through to compliment with a pinch of tobacco. Mouthfeel is medium and approaches creamy - finishes clean.

This is my first ever Rauchbier and I have to say its a very unique style. It would most likely be an exellent choice to pair with a hearty, meaty meal.

3.77/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 25oz bottle that was served too cold by the bar that charged me WAY too much for this beer [triple what I could buy it for down the street]. Anyway, just felt like trying it.

Poured a very nice reddish-brown. Small light brown head [perhaps due to it being served too cold] which dissipated quickly. LIght carbonation see rising.

Aroma is delicious! Lots of smoke from a fire and some roasted malts. Sort of like vaporized ham.

Taste is of smoked malts that leads to sweetness. Finish is more smokiness. Somewhat medicinal tasting...not sure where that came from.

Mouthfeel is medium-light and smooth. Much lighter than I was expecting.

Overall, a very interesting beer. I wouldn't call it drinkable. Just too much smoke taste to drink too many. Also, very important to match with the right food. Certainly some BBQ or a good hamburger would work.

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

Appearance: Deep amber in color, with superb clarity, the head soon collapses to a small scattering of foam, with thin patchy lacing, and moderate carbonation.

Aroma: Mildly smoky aroma, somewhat like smoked cheese, with toasted malt notes as well.

Taste: Mildly smoky at the open, with an underlying caramel malt, which carries through the taste, along the the smoke notes and a mild hop presence. Finishes with a mild smoky, earthy note.

Mouth feel: Rich, soft, and very pleasing.

Drinkability/notes: Excellent and very drinkable, the smoke notes are somewhat restrained, quite distinctive.

4.59/5  rDev +13.1%

Absolutley delicious. I have had quite a lot of the Ur-Bock, but this is by first Baptising in Märzen. I feel this smoke flavour profile is much, much stronger in this than the Ur-Bock. It poured about the same colour, a brownish - red bronze with a slight chill haze and off white head that dissolved in a few seconds leaving a lovely looking blanket of frost about the surface. Smell was camp fire smoke, bacon, and sweet malts such as one would expect from a good Oktoberfest bier such as Paulaner. Taste was more smoke and a bit drier than the Ur-Bock, with less sweet of a finish than the Ur-Bock, as well. I think I prefer this to the Ur-Bock, which unfortunately, I have easier access to than this. Mouthfeel is very smooth with a great weight to be a Märzen, even with the smoke. Rauchbier would easily be in my top five favourite styles, and I believe I just found my favourite rauchbier. Wunderbar!

3.97/5  rDev -2.2%

My first rauchbier experience poured a brownish red with a thin head.

Boy, when they said this really smelled like smoked meat, they wasn't kiddin'! Think salami, people, or the smell of a roaring yule log (or perhaps a delicious summer sausage). Damn. It's almost hard to find any hint of a marzen underneath it all, but it's there, that I am sure of.

Now I'm not usually a fan of marzens, but when it's coupled with this bombastic smoked flavor, it's much better (to me). The sweet, smooth, crisp marzen flavor definitely is there, but it's overshadowed by the smokiness which enhances it, I think. I'll definitely be trying more of these Rauchbiers in the very near future.

4.4/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

500ml brown bottle without freshness dating.

Pours crystal clear mahogany with half inch of creamy head that slowly recedes to film and medium lace. Smells fragrantly smoky, a bit greasy, grainy. Light malt sweetness on the front of the tongue. Slightly chewy grains in the center. Finishes with very clean and appetizing smokiness that isn't overwhelming. The dichotomy between the smoke and cool clean finish is shocking at first, but quite mouth-watering after a few sips. Taste light and well-balanced between cream and carbonation. My favorite of the Heller-Trum beers so far. Delicious and easy-drinking.

4.18/5  rDev +3%

10/7/2005 $3.79 1 pint 9 oz 5.10% No best by date.

Appearance:

Pours a deep brown with intense highlights of amber and ruby red. Tight carbonation leads to an inch plus of creamy tan head that settles slowly leaving behind a nice lacing.

Aroma:

Smoked ham, camp fire pits, sweet malt in the background.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

Mouthfeel is ultra-smooth with a nicely sweet malt backbone that is surrounded by the sensation of smoked ham bits that appear in Cambell's soup (Bean w/ Bacon comes to mind). I tried this about two years ago, and poured the bottle down the drain, considering it undrinkable. Fast forward to today, and I find it amazing. One of the smoothest beers I've encountered, while the smoke and malt sweetness pair nicely.

4.32/5  rDev +6.4%

Pours medium-to-dark brown wtih about 3/4-finger head. Only two apparent smells are dark roasted malt and smoked pork. You may think you don’t want your beer smelling like meat but this one’s kosher, believe me. Thin and watery on the tongue, moderate carbonation - the smoke flavor picks up immediately before you’ve even had a chance to swallow. Tastes almost entirely of smoky, roasted malt - almost no hop presence whatsoever (nor any trace of meat flavoring, thank Whomever). Altogether extremely smoky, but not in a "burnt" sort of way. I could probably drink a number of these in one sitting. Maybe not quite a session beer, but something that I can imagine myself jonesing for in the future.

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

Pours a deep dark brown, with frothy one finger head that recedes slowly to a spotty cap and thick ring, leaving behind a nice webbing of lace.

Smell; this smell's strongly of smoked pork. I also get some caramel malts, with a little sweetness in there.

Taste; interesting smokey flavors that I associate with homemade smoked pork. There's those sweet caramel, and toffee malts that mingles very nicely with the smoked flavors, with just some hints of hop bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel is a bit on the thin side, but the drinkability is higher than I was expecting. This is only the second true Rauchbier that I've had, and I can't believe how good it is. I have a couple more different ones to sample, and now i can't wait to try them.

3.36/5  rDev -17.2%

Picked up a single at Steve's on University. Bottle enjoyed in succession between the Aecht Urbock and New Glarus Smoked Rye Bock.

Pours a dark, rusty amber under several fingers of soapy khaki cream and some decent lacing.

Nose is very light with the faintest hints of smoke over fruit cocktail.

Just as light on the palate a very light smokiness over sweet, caramel Oktober-malt and a bit of fruit.

Mouthfeel is a little on the thin side, borderline watery.

Overall a fairly drinkable beer, quite drinkable for a rauch, and entirely inoffensive. Marzen, the Workingman's Rauchbier.

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen from Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla