Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen | Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla
Germany
schlenkerla.de

Style: Rauchbier

ABV may vary slightly year to year.

Bamberg's speciality, a dark, bottom fermented smokebeer, brewed with Original Schlenkerla Smokemalt from the Schlenkerla maltings and tapped according to old tradition directly from the gravity-fed oakwood cask in the historical brewery tavern.

Added by taez555 on 07-11-2001

Reviews: 1,116 | Ratings: 2,276
4.25/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A - Pours a deep redish-brown with an inch of light tan head. This sits for a while and is helped along by the low-medium carbonation.

S - Smoked meat and salmon mainly. Some background notes of sweet malts, spice and nuttiness.

T - Malts are in first, but are quickly overtaken by smokiness. Begins to get bitter/dry and finishes this way into a long smokey aftertaste.

M - Medium-full body, smooth, creamy, low-moderate carbonation.

D - Really good stuff. Drank the second half of it with some smoked cheddar, which worked well. I could see how this would be great with bbqed meat.

1.12/5  rDev -72.4%

I have never tried a beer that I couldn't finish. My brother is the same. Well, yesterday we tried Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Marzen and neither of us could drink it.

What an experience! I must admit I am not a big fan of smoked food and I realize that this beer is probably an acquired taste but I will give Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Marzen credit for initiating a lesson in recognizing excessive hubris on my part. I generally pride myself in my ability to eat or drink things that would make a billygoat sick but this stuff slapped me hard and put me in my place.

We did, however, put the beer to good use as a marinade for our barbecued chicken. Now that I can handle.

4.35/5  rDev +7.1%

Mmmm...smoke! This beer is a classic example, for me, of how tastes can change. The 1st time, I thought the idea of a beer that had flavors of bacon drippings sounded great, but I didnt like its execution. Fast forward like 1.5-2 years later and I love it. In fact, I wish it was smokier! As it is, its hard to decide my favorite of the Heller-Trum Rauchbiers, likely this one as its probably the smokiest one of the bunch (Urbock is the other contender).
Decent appearance, good clarity. Sort of a dark-orange, but without much head staying power.
Smells like campfire smoke. Tastes the same, but not as "in-your-face" as I remembered. I mean, the smokiness is the only really noticeable aspect (maybe a hint of caramel malt under there), but its not overpowering, to me. Then again I loved smoked meats, smoked peppers, smoked cheeses, etc.
Its light bodied and with a low abv. Definitely highly sessionable, though I dont session much of anything too often.
This is great, I wish there were more smoked beers around. I've been drinking them up lately, but there arent many others. Guess I'll have to buy this whenever I want a smoke fix.

4.43/5  rDev +9.1%

First I love smoked food, So I may be prejudice here.

Poured from a generous big bottle to a fine lidded heavy glass bierkrug. The head stood up tall faded smartly and left a very nice tan lace. The color of the liquid is a medium dark amber with fiery red orange and brown hues.

Smell is ... Yes Smokey. Could be a bit like smoked fish, but I will go with smoked malt. It has a slight pungent cheese scent and a ripe fruit note .

Taste is of smoked malt, very malty indeed. The smoke flavor in this offering is not overwhelming but a wonderful complement to a very smooth roasted malt and some of the tastiest hops this far north of Munchen. The complex flavors released as it warms are accented by the smoked flavor and add extremely interesting dementions to the Marzen style. I loves me some Marzen, and this beer totally writes a new chapter in that book. With this beer in Mein Beirkeller I do declare Jeder Tag war ein Fest!

The mouthfeel is not a full as i had anticipated but it if rich and sticky. The carbonation subsides as it warms and adds just the right tickle to the tung.

The drinkability is surprisingly outstanding. Absolutely no offensive tastes or textures. At 5.4 ABV you could drink sere val. This is quite a n outstanding example
of a very unique and delicious beer style.

Zum wohl! MK

3.7/5  rDev -8.9%

This beer poured an amber color with a smokey, black highlight. Not a lot of head, but what there was was just off-white.

Smelled of smoke, similar to Liquid-Smoke that is used in the kitchen. The smokiness really overwhelms any other aromas, but not in a bad way.

Taste was different, and is probably an acquired taste, but it was also intriguing. Along with the smoke was a definite beer flavor, with a hoppy, bitter finish.

Mouthfeel was moderately thick. with mild carbonation and a crisp aftertaste.

Overall this is an interesting beer. I don't think I'd like to drink a lot of this straight up, however I think the flavors in this beer will be excellent to cook with.

4.1/5  rDev +1%

This pours a clear dark brown with a small tan head that disappears quickly. The smell is a smoked wood BBQ aroma that makes your mouth water. The taste is a mesquite wood BBQ. This is like liquid babyback ribs. Malt and molasses are also in this beer. It's almost like a bbq sauce. The m/f is medium with the flavors all mixing well. A wonderful tasting and smelling beer for summer BBQ's. Bring on the ribs.

3.65/5  rDev -10.1%

This was the first (and only so far) smoked beer I have had. I love smoked food, BBQ, etc. so I thought I'd give it a try.

The appearance is nice, an auburn color. The smell was amazingly strong of smoke with just a bit of sweetness. Taste was also very smoky with a bit of malt. I thought it was interesting, but to me the smoke was just too dominant. Mouthfeel was decent, fairly medium body.

Overall I liked this beer fairly well. I'd recommend trying it at least once, and I'd love to have it again with some smoked baby-back ribs. Not something I'd want to enjoy over and over again, though.

4.12/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured deep amber black with a small head that leaves a faint lacing.
Smells powerfully of bacon...smoked heaven.
Taste is immediately bacon and like a campfire....smokey, incredibly smooth, sweet, toasty, finishing with sweet malts then back to campfire smokiness.
Aftertaste lingers of campfire forever...FOREVER.
This is my first Rauchbier and to me it is unbelievably smokey and flavorful....too much so for my inexperienced pallette.
Will I have this again?
Oh, yeah.
I rated drinkability as 3.0 only because I'm too much a virgin to drink more of this tonight...but I will try it again and probably re-rate when my tongue grows up.

4.32/5  rDev +6.4%

I'd like to say thanks to mcallister for send me this small collection of smoked beers. This is my first one ever and I'm blown away. This Marzen pours a deep brown with a slightly off-white head. Lovely looking beer.

The aroma is nice and smokey. Reminds me of so many things I love like BBQing and Camping.

The taste is nice and malty with heavy smoke presence. The smoke aroma is intensified after you breathe out after the swallow. Simply amazing. This is a great style of beer.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium carbonation.

I think this is a very drinkable beer even with the smokiness of it. I can see how others would disagree with me but if this is your style of beer--very drinkable.
The mouthfeel is

4.02/5  rDev -1%

A- pours a nice deep brown with mahogony highlights and a nice sized white head.

S- insane amounts of a smokey, leathery aroma that dominates the nose. an extremely unique and interesting aroma that becomes more and more pugent every time i smell.

T- the first sip is almost all the same smokiness that domintes the smell. The more i drink it, the less aparent the smoke flavor becomes and the more i can appreciate the subtle hop tingle on the tongue and the slight malt that balances it all out.

M- after the first sip, when the beer was cold, it felt a little thin. After the beer had time to warm up it has really nice full body that is silky smooth.

D- although the more i drink, the less dominate the smoke flavor becomes, i still dont think this is something i could make a night out of. It would definitely compliment the right food like no other beer though.

overall- ive been really anxious to try a rauchbier since i love the smoke flavors in beer. I was not dissapointed at all. However, i was dissapointed that i didnt pick up the other two versions of this beer. While this may not be everyones favorite beer, its definitely unique and something every beer lover should at least try.

3.07/5  rDev -24.4%

Poured from a bottle into my Duvel tulip glass.

Smell: This was immediately noticeable and the first thing to strike me. The beer smells like smoked meat. Worchestire and liquid smoke. This will either be really bad, or surprisingly good. I'll try to rate it based on what this style is supposed to be, not personal preference.

Appearance: Dark like a dopplebock, ruby brown in color, practically no head, no lacing. The beer leaves a film when swirled, as if there will be a lot of sugary malts.

Taste: Have you ever had baby back pork ribs grilled over an open beach fire? Thats what this beer tastes like. It's semi sweet, very smokey. The taste and immediate aftertaste would be fine if the longer aftertaste didn't leave a lingering bitterness that seems out of place with the smoothe smoke and sweeter foretaste.

Mouthfeel: Average. It's a bit bubbly, nothing special nor horrible.

Drinkability: I won't finish this bottle. This is either a taste I have not yet acquired, or the beer itself just isn't enjoyable enough. I'll likely try the style again in the future to see if I like it more, but this one is mediocre at best.

3.4/5  rDev -16.3%

Aroma: Smoke is balanced by a sweet malt undertone. There is a smoked cheese note as well, almost a Gouda.

Appearance: Great clarity, deep brown glass, tan head falls to a collar but hangs for spots of lace.

Flavor: Less smoke than the nose offered, and less than the Urbock we tried earlier. The malt is light and pleasant being well balanced with any hops noted.

Mouthfeel: Medium to light body, surprising in such a big smelling beer.

Overall Impression: A less intense version of the Rauchbier family, which makes for easier drinking, but less enjoyment.

Hand carried back from Kansas City, MO.

3.92/5  rDev -3.4%

Beer pours a very dark crimson but looks almost brown if not held up to light. Little head with slight lacing.

Hard to pull much out of the nose besides the enormous smoke aroma. You can get some meaty, earthy aromas in the background.

Just tried the Ur-Bock last week and this Marzen is much bigger and bolder both in smell and taste. This Marzen is much more complex in the mouth altough I liked the nose of the ur-bock more.
Big smokey grilled meet flavors, with great carbonation. Very smooth and esay going for such a different brew. You can get some slight flavors in the background of burnt caramel, and gamey flavors.

I could drink 1 or 2 of these beasts but would probably want something else after that not sure though. Guess I'm gonna have to try:)

And if you do get some make sure you buy an extra bottle to cook with. The lady friend is making some BBQ sauce as we speak with it that's awesome!!!

3.45/5  rDev -15%

This is a very different beer. When I first poured it into my glass it was super dark and had a really think head. The smell was great, almost smelling like bacon. I'm thinking "Bacon Beer"?

The first taste was good, but it did not taste as smokey as it smelled. It had a nice malt flavor with little to no hops. It was thicker than normal, and had a fairly nice mouthfeel. The smell and the taste just seemed very different. Should give it a try if you have never had a smokey beer, it is very interesting.

3.54/5  rDev -12.8%

This beer was poured from a 1pt. 9 FL. oz bottle in which no "best by" date was indicated.

A - Dark brown and opaque. Almost reminiscent of Coca-Cola in color. Lacing is absent for the most part. I split this bottle into two glasses as to share it with a firend, so I cannnot comment on the head.

S- At the very first sniff I was brought back to a recent camping trip where I as sitting around a camp fire with some of my closest friends. This was by far the most pronounced smoky smell that I have encountered thus far in a smoked beer.

T- A very prominent smoke flavor that I could not expect to be replicated, except in the case of lighter meats like fish or pork that can absord such deep flavors.

MF- As far as mouthfeel goes, this beer did not impress me that much. On the tongue it felt like a porter. Average.

D- I remember the first time I had this. I was blown away by the smell and the flavor. I couldn't wrap my mind around it at first. After becoming familiar with the smell and flavor, I lost interest in continuing. This is definetly a beer that I would limit myself to only once in awhile.

Overall- As far as smoked beers go, this one kicks ass. I can't say I've had one like this. Definetly worth trying at least for the novelty of it.

3.37/5  rDev -17%

Appearance: Dark, nearly opaque chocolate brown with soft ruby highlights. Lame, cratered, moondust-colored head.

Smell: Woah. This is different. The smoke smell is somewhat overpowering, and remniscent of - I kid you not - hickory-smoked salmon. Possibly a good breakfast beer, this one. Malts are kind of Doppelbock-ish but squashed under the smoke.

Taste: Here goes... hmm. Not bad. Smoky, for sure, with a game-like quality. Malts are full of dark fruit flavors. This one would be great to cook with. In fact, you could reduce this down and make it a sauce in itself, or a marinade. Burnt bitterness rounds out the finish.

Mouthfeel: Surprisingly sparkly, this doesn't quite match the flavor but it isn't bad.

Drinkability: When I first took a sip of this, I thought, man... this is good, but I'm not sure I can finish it! But the more I drink, the more I like this. I wouldn't mind having another, and I really look forward to pairing this with meats.

3.77/5  rDev -7.1%

I once purchased this in Canada and absolutely hated it. I couldn't finish the last third!

This one purchased in Bamberg was CONSIDERABLY better.

A: Dark caramel, off-white head, very little retention or lace.

S: Smoked, spicy sausage!

T: Very smokey, spicy, with a little caramel sweetness.

M: Moderate body is a little chalky. Carbonation is moderate.

D: Still VERY smokey. A little overwhelming. I couldn't drink many of these.

4.39/5  rDev +8.1%

This is one wild style!!

I have been going on a smoked beer kick for a while and this one was recommended by Jason at Naja's.

Pours dark, almost like a porter or a darker than usual English Brown Ale.

The smell is WONDERFUL!! There is no mistaking the smoke, as a previous reviewer had stated, it's just like a campfire ( not a weird hobo palet-burning campfire, but a campfire you would want to eat hahaha).

This beer tastes like smoked meat... strange but also very nice! This would go great with some bbq, or strong cheese.

Mouthfeel was light and slightly creamy.

I'm going to give this a little above average on drinkability... I could have had another one... but the flavors are so strong and unique I had to stop myself at just one!

Give this one a try!!

4.42/5  rDev +8.9%

Mahogany colored body. Fairly clear with some carbonation and fine particulate floating around. Head is just off white and finished with small pockets of bubbles on top.

Aroma is strong with smoke, oak and campfire. A bit of caramel and dark fruity sweetness blend in with some toasted notes. Nicely smoked overall and a fairly strong aroma. It really opened up my sinuses.

Taste is like barbecue smoke and smoked butt, really meaty in the main part of the flavor. Has a touch of sweetness inititally and then the smokiness hits. Finishes smooth with a touch of bitterness. Nicely flavored. Much more smoke that I remember in the Urbock and this hits the spot for what I was looking for in that brew.

Mouthfeel is medium to full. Not as heavy as its sister beer. Drinkability is excellent. The lighter mouthfeel and meaty smoke flavor makes this one unique and highly quaffable. I really like this, just don't know how often I'll pick it up. I've been sitting on this one for a while.

4.02/5  rDev -1%

I paid just under $3.00 for a 1 pint 9 oz bottle, and poured it into a pint glass. It looked kind of like an English brown ale, reddish brown and clear with a thick tan foam on top. But the smell was way different. Smelled like a camp fire more than anything, but also a little like smoked ham. It doesn't sound right for a beer, but it worked for me. Tasted smoky and malty, and was very carbonated. From now on I'll recommend everyone tries this at least once.

4.72/5  rDev +16.3%

Finally got my hands on a rauchbier. I saw their lager at the store and woulda bought it as well if I had known that so few people had reviewed it. Anyway, from a big German bottle into a German mug, it pours a rich, deep copper with very active carbonation and an inch of khaki head that consists mostly of small bubbles and retains a quarter inch throughout, leaving some nice patches/rings of lace. The aroma is very smoky from the beginning - I can smell the wood they used, and the aroma reminds me of a good smoked meat or cheese. By the end there are notes of faint hops and clean malts, and the smoke seems to be sweeter, if that makes sense. The first sip kickstarts my bacon craving, which by end becomes a smoked salmon craving. The taste is highly smoky at the start with notes of spices, but I soon find notes of faint coffee and green, almost citric hops with a mild to medium bitterness that intensifies as I progress, as does a tobacco flavor which leaves the taste of chaw in my mouth. The mouthfeel is medium to full, and incredibly smooth and creamy for a lager, leaving a long finish that makes me want another bottle. It is surprisingly drinkable, as I was a bit hesitant of the style, but it is a wonderful beer that is totally unique to my palate. I must try their other offerings. A great deal at under $4 a bottle.

3.8/5  rDev -6.4%

Pours a reddish amber, pretty clear, with a nicely sized fluffy tan head. It fades momentarily and leaves behind a few drifts of small lacing.

Salty, smoked, burnt barbecue - bacon fat - Copenhagen - all of these are present in the smell.

Flavor carries these salted pork hues, but is backed up with a light malt body - I noticed a bit of lemon twinge, which really lightens up the heavy meaty flavor.

Very smooth mouthfeel, just the right density and sensation that asks you to drink deeply, not sip. It finishes with a complex finish that is one part sticky, one part salty, smoky on the tongue.

I have been pretty fearful of smokebeers until now, and it turns out that this one, at least, is better than I'd hoped. Yes, it has a frightening smell of smoke and meat, but it's surprisingly quaffable! :)

4.38/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Dark and brown, with shade of burnt crimson. Good clarity. Generous, clingy, cream-colored foam.

Smell: Smoky hickory aroma, salty. Bacon. Rich toffee backbone, with subdued sweetness.

Taste: The strong bacon aroma doesn't fully translate to the tastebuds. It doesn't taste dramatically different than a standard marzen at first. The malt provides a gentle, chewy caramel foundation. The smoke flavor emerges in the middle, combining with the malt to produce a sweet and smoky flavor similar to that of honey barbeque. A lingering, subtle salty taste hangs around in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Awesome mouthfeel. Creamy, full-bodied, and very smooth. The carbonation could use a slight bump upwards, but the mouthfeel is excellent as is.

Verdict: A very tasty example of a unique style. Recommended.

4.55/5  rDev +12.1%

A: Served in a stange, this beer poured a clear mahoghany color with a big fluffy head. A good amount of lacing is left on the glass.

S: The smell is strong, yet smooth. Aromas of smoked salmon and mesquite spice

T: Like the smell, the taste is strong, yet smooth and not overwhelming. Flavors of smoked jerky and cedar fill the mouth and nose with each sip.

M: There is moderate carbonation in this, yet the beer still comes out silky smooth and with a medium body.

D: After hearing a lot of buzz about these beers in the forums, I've finally popped my rauchbier cherry, and couldn't be happier. The character of this beer is incredibly unique. I'm drinking this beer by itself now and loving it, but I can't wait to try this with something off the grill.

4.44/5  rDev +9.4%

Pours a clear mahoganey with ruby edges and a small, light tan head. Smell...hmmm...woah! The nose is smoked bacon on a crisp Canadian morning. I reckon with a side of eggs and some strong coffee we'll be able to hunt moose and fish walleye all day. Amazingly strong smoked meat aromas. Faint caramel malt in there, but the smoke covers all else. Luckily, I like smoked meats. Smoked prosciutto flavors greet the mouth, alongside caramelized carrots and faint malt sweetness. Ham and campfire smoke throughout. More sweetness detectable in the long smoky finish. Medium-bodied with a surprisingly lively feel. Not liquid smoke, just really smoky and delicious beer!

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen from Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla