Love Belgian Beer?

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier MärzenAecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla
Germany | website

Style: Rauchbier

ABV may vary slightly year to year.

Bamberg's speciality, a dark, bottom fermented smokebeer, brewed with Original Schlenkerla Smokemalt from the Schlenkerla maltings and tapped according to old tradition directly from the gravity-fed oakwood cask in the historical brewery tavern.

Added by taez555 on 07-11-2001

Reviews: 1,094 | Ratings: 2,224
4.48/5  rDev +10.3%

Pours out a dark brown cola colour that lights up a rich ruby wine red under the light. Quite clear and typical lager carbonation. A nice bubbly tan head of sizeable hight puffs up quickly and fades to a more modest covering pretty quickly.

Rauchbiers might be the one type of beer where I look forward to the smell even more than the taste. Beautiful woody smoke pours from the glass like a campfire. Roasted pig, smoked bacon, smoked trout, salty leather, sweet honey glaze. This aroma makes you hungry more than thirsty. There is a nice sweetness present thanks to the malts and it rounds out the smokiness nicely. A beast in the nose i just want to keep sniffing at the glass. Scent is highly associated with memory the dejavu phenomenon - smelling Schlenkerla is like immediately being transported to a roaring fire in an 18th century library amongst the dank air, centuries old leather couches and tomes of literature reeking age and character. I swear this aroma is going to influence my dreams tonight!

It gets better when you drink though, as you'd swear this is a marvel of modern gastronomic chemistry where they managed to convert smoked sausage and smoked salmon with honey glaze into alcoholic liquid beer form, too good to be true!!! The smoke is omnipresent but rich and rounded, not ashy or drying, and well complemented by the malt backbone that lends a foundation and sweet balance. Never overpowering, just intoxicating. Drinks like a typical lager with some extra viscosity.

Some beers are "an experience" without being all that enjoyable or something you would go back to again and again. Thats not this. The Aecht Schlenkerla is a peoples beer, a commoner, a local, an old regular, your grandfather with a thousand stories to tell. Its making me damn near poetic its that good!

3.21/5  rDev -20.9%

Pours with a rich, creamy, off-white head that dissipates gradually; fair degree of stickiness before sliding back into the beer. Beer is a chestnut brown color with great clarity and a few swift streamers. Transparent and bright when held to light, with slightly orangish highlights. Aroma is of smoke--not tobacco, but food smoke. There's also a subtle salinity, suggesting smoked seafood (especially oysters) and further back, the heat of freshly sawn wood (cedar). Taste is more smoke but stunningly light upon the roof of the mouth, along with what I originally thought was cedar, until I read that the wood for the fire is beechwood--yes, beechwood is more accurate. Beef or venison jerky, liquid smoke, and very salty. I am new to the style, but I just don't see much diversity here and presently I got tired of the flavor. Mouthfeel is light and wet with a minerally finish and really not much aftertaste. As far as drinkability, I'm sure this goes great with smoked food, sharp cheese, etc. but on its own? I don't need another.

3.87/5  rDev -4.7%

Pours dark drown with ruby highlights and a 1 finger head

Aroma- Bacon and toast. Only is missing a fried egg

Taste Bacon

There's some lurking grain and malt but a VERY forward smokiness that's got a bacon quality...perhaps you could say sausage. Pretty over the top...yet it's tasty. Would go well with a lettuce and tomato sandwich Would be great on a campout where a campfire is not allowed. I can detect some bittering hops in the finish but that's minor.

Bacon in a bottle is what the main impression is,and the marvel is that it's really quite good though so much of it's basic beer qualities are left in the shadows.

Mouthfeel....I think my mouth is confused,thinks this is thick,oily,like a hunk of heavily smoked pork,rather than beer. I can't figure the viscosity and density in this...which strangely works. Drinkability....Maybe with enough eggs and hashbrowns I could do a long brunch,but as intense as this,I doubt many folks drink 2 a day unless they are from Bamberg and were weaned on it.

I am fond of Smoked beers. This one is a treat as a once in a while thing but too Bacon heavy for regular drinking....that and I like to find the BEER in my glass so going TOO Bacon or Coffee,or Grapefruit, or Bourbon,and losing the beerness,is not ideal

4.42/5  rDev +8.9%

Rauchbier is a love-it-or-hate-it drink. Don't be discouraged by bad reviews since this is not for everyone. For the adventurous awaits a truly unique beer.

The Marzen is my favorite, but the Urbock is quite good too.

Even someone who is turned off at the smokey smell or first taste is encouraged to keep at it. This beer gets better as you drink it.

This is coming from someone who loves black licorice, so take that as you will. If you don't like Schlenkerla, that just means more for ME!

4.7/5  rDev +15.8%

A: clear, ruby brown with an a almost white head.

S: smoky and leathery. reminds me of camp fire, and smoked ham. Smoke is dominating and almost intimidating at first.

T: nice maltiness that is very smooth and rounded. very clean finish. It's so much better than majority of lagers out there.

M: good body, smooth and very tender. very silky texture.

D: Highly drinkable.

Based on the smell, i was expecting more "in your face" smoky flavor, but was I WRONG. There is no smokiness at all in the flavor, and it is surprisingly very smooth and clean. a beautiful beer.

From the time I first tried this beer I was totally impressed. So unique and so rewarding. Very complex. Taste is a great toasted malt flavor and with the mixture of the smoke flavor, you have an exceptional beer. This is great alone or with very robust meal such as beef stew. The first thing that hits you is the instant smell of smoke. God I would love to tour this brewery!!!!!

3.8/5  rDev -6.4%

This was my first-ever rauchbier. I had no idea what to expect when I opened the bottle. Poured a chocolate brown. A slight head bubbled up, disappearing after a few seconds. It smelled like a smokehouse, and had a slight taste of bacon. I'd imagine that this would be great with a quality piece of gouda cheese. Not something that I'd like to drink every day, but it's worth trying.

2.63/5  rDev -35.2%

I thought I'd at least try this without reviewing, but I feel compelled after tasting. It looks like a decent dark beer, but the the description of the smell is not easily broken down into the choices given. It's anything but average, but to some I'm sure it's wonderful As aromas go, I'm sure this is a very good smell for smoked beers. It just happens to be my first and I'm a bit shocked.

The taste is that of the liquid at the bottom of the pan from when you've baked a nice, juicy smoked ham. I'm not sure if I'm appalled or intrigued. I keep trying it again to see if it really tastes as it does.

It's a non-offensive mouthfeel. It tastes like my hair smells when I've sat around a camp fire for hours.

Drinkability? I'll drink it. But I feel like I should be eating beef jerky, too. Maybe it would be nice with a full country breakfast.

4.01/5  rDev -1.2%

L: Jet black color, one finger tanned head, high levels of carbonation.

S: Smoked, creamy aroma. Lovely.

T: Smoked, creamy taste. Tastes exactly as it smells.

F: Refreshing, drinkable but kind of heavy feel due to smokeness. Felt like eating meat :)

O: If you like smoked products then this is probably a masterpiece. If not, it still worth tasting.

4.44/5  rDev +9.4%

Brauerei Heller-Trum is of course the worlds leading Rauchbier macher. This style originates there in Bamburg Germany and is an amazing brew for those of you who have never had it.

I've heard people say "It smells like a ham!" upon their first encounter. And I must say "they're right". As bad as that sounds, one soon realizes that the smell is powerful, but the smokey taste is much smoother than one would expect.

This smoked bier is original and delicious.

Don't miss it. I highly recommend it.

John

3.92/5  rDev -3.4%

Had on tap in their restaurant in Nürnberg.

Dark brown, clear liquid, with an offwhite fluffy head. Strong bacon smell, covering everything but a hint of woodsiness. The beef jerky taste just keeps coming. Upfront there is some bready maltiness, but then the jerky takes over and lingers in the finish. Very intriguing, but not as rich and balanced as their fastenbier.

4.13/5  rDev +1.7%

My first experience was an explosion of dark wheat colored, thick foam all over - a mess. The color was a beautiful mahogany amber with cola highlights. The smell was VERY dominate smoked or even burnt wood aroma, maybe cedar with a slight chocolate accent and other potent spices. The taste was the same as the smell. Mouthfeel - deep medium-bodied and smooth. Drinkability - It was real good, but the smokiness was a little overpowering.

4.22/5  rDev +3.9%

This beer pours a redish brown with an beige colored head. There was good lacing on the glass. The aroma had a great smoky, earthy smell to it. The taste was again smoky and almost tastes like some variation of smoked bacon with a sweet malt background to it. The mouthfeel was just what it should be. The strong smokey flavor would make it difficult for me to drink very many of these in one sitting.

4.18/5  rDev +3%

Ordered this on tap at Nocturnem Draft Haus in Bangor, Maine. A giant pour arrived in a tall glass handled mug as big as my head, and perfect for this October afternoon.

Rich dark chestnut brown, but not totally opaque. An off-white loose two finger head settled quickly. Lots of smoke and wood in the nose. Smells like bacon & smoked meats. The taste is more smoke and bacon. Liquid barbecue. This tastes delicious, but is just a little too watery for me. Something doesn't seem quite right. It might just be that I'm not used to the style. I love the nose, and the flavor, but it's not 100% satisfying.

Crisp and clean mouthfeel, with a decent medium carbonation.

Could be my senses aren't ready for these flavors in a beverage. But in reviewing the style, I think it's a top notch representation. Lots of Smoke & Wood, and not much else.

3.97/5  rDev -2.2%

I picked up a few of these when I was in Toronto after trying one at Beer Bistro. Its deep brown with ruby tints. Nice creamy beige head that is quite dense.
Aroma of black licorice and smoked dried sausage. Makes me think of Polish sausages hanging from my Mom's kitchen cuboards. One of the most unique, memorable aromas of any beer I have experienced.

Head gives way to a thin layer leaving lacing from the receded head but no lacing as you drink the beer.

Taste is pleasant, but disapointing. After the look and the aroma its kind of a letdown. Malty but a hint of burnt malt - i guess thats the idea of smoking the malt. I can't really detect the tastes that I am smelling. Really doesn't wow me. Very mild hop presence and a bit of a salty aftertaste.

Thin mouthfeel, just washes around in your mouth - i was hoping for big and beefy, but at least it makes for good drinkablity, this could be a session beer.

4.23/5  rDev +4.2%

01/13/2010
1 pt. 0.9 oz bottle poured into 0.3L stange.

A: Poured slowly into the stange and a good deal of frothy head still rushed to the top. Pours a rich, clear copper. Really nice color.

S: Smoked pork and spices, but it's not so overpowering that your nostrils go haywire.

T: The smell is a pretty good indicator of how this beer tastes, but unlike the Weizen version, this is really pleasant. Definitely more complex, since you can actually pick up on the barley malts after the first wave of smoke dissipates.

M: A little thinner than I expected, but the smokiness doesn't stick to your tongue for very long, which is a plus.

D: Not too big a fan of drinking rachbiers on their own, but this is one I actually like without food. Will try again.

As it stands, I'm cooking pulled-pork sandwiches tonight, so I'm adding some of this to the cooking pot to spice it up.

4.08/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: 4.25
Dark brown semi-opaque body with white-brown head 1-2'.

Smell: 4.25
Rich campfire smoke with background of toffee and roasted malt and slightly earth Noble hops.

Taste: 4
Initially, a dry, nutty malt with slight sweetness later in taste. Smooth smokiness with notes almost akin hickey smokiness of bacon. Mid to late, increasing mild to moderate bitterness becomes detectable via hops. Finishes with a slight mild malt presence and a thin coating of roast/smoke on palate.

Mouthfeel: 3.5
Slight thinness to body with mild carbonation. Almost English ale'ish in mouthfell.

Overall: 4.25
Great dynamic beer with strong smoke notes, but manages to still be balanced and drinkable. Pairs well with food, esp BBQ.
Recommend to try.

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

Great beer! Brown color, mid-sized off-white head. Aroma of smoked ham and malt. Taste is similar to aroma with smoked wood notes. Medium body and carbonation. Moderate bitterness in smoked and roasted aftertaste

4.02/5  rDev -1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

While wandering the aisles of his 'happy place', Bucky spotted a German smokebeer, and never having sampled this style picked up a bottle. Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier ("ASR") came in a brown 500 ml bottle with a best before date of October 2013 stamped on the reverse label, and was 5.1% alcohol by volume. ASR is produced by Brauerei Heller in Bamberg, Germany. A little historical beer trivia for you...the roots of the word Schlenkerla in the beer's name lie in the Frankish vernacular, in which "schlenkern" is an expression for walking not straight.

ASR poured an attractive chestnut brown colour with a large, slightly off-white head that lasted for several minutes before fading to a 1/8" cap of foam, leaving some modest lacing and spotting down the glass. Its aroma was strong and made up of wood smoke and back bacon. The beer's flavour was distinct but somewhat more subtle than its aroma, beginning, continuing and ending with wood smoke, with a mild bitterness noticeable at the finish. Both the smokiness and slight bitterness continued as a long lasting aftertaste. I found the carbonation to be quite moderate but well suited to the beer, and would describe ASR as medium bodied. Though I was a bit nervous at the start due to past experience with a couple of overpowering smoky beers, this was a refreshing change of pace. Not a style that I would drink every week, but a bit of a flashback to a bygone age when all malt for brewing in Germany was dried over a wood fire, and quite reasonably priced at $3.15 per bottle.

3.45/5  rDev -15%

Poured from a bottle into a glass

A- Coca-cola brown with a nice creamy head that settled to a 1/4 inch

S-Smoke scent is very dominant in this one but I thought I picked up a sweeter scent perhaps a maple or plum scent.

T-Not too much here just an overwhelming smoke smell when you drink this.

M/D-This has a bite on the front and after that it goes down smooth. The smoke scent is something that for me is too overwhelming. I would like to try the other brands before giving up on this one.

3.91/5  rDev -3.7%

I could smell the smoke from two feet away.

Pours a clear rich dark brown. Thick 1-inch white foamy head that dissipates quickly to ¼ inch. Some lacing.

Smells of smoked sausage, a strong smell. Some malt.

A smooth smoky taste, some hop bitterness, but not overpowering. A hint of creaminess up front, lightly toasted malt behind the smoke. Finish is smoke and hops, with a bitter hop aftertaste that lingers.

Mouthfeel is creaminess, medium body even though it looks rich. Some carbonation hits the back of my throat.

I remember this beer being awesome from the gravity feed barrels at the brewery in Bamberg. I still enjoy it, but needs to be paired with some robust food.

3.55/5  rDev -12.6%

A-pours a dark copper with a big very light tan head
S-a nice smokyness with a bit of a smoked meat qualitty wih a nice bonfireness about it very interesting
T-the smoked meat becomes much more prevalant along with some malt (which i thought was lacking in itsbrother weizen)but styill has a nice strong smokeyness that still isn't over the top
M-medium body with no carbonation which gives it a smooth smokeyness to it
D-a good beer but the style is not among may favorite and while it good to enjoy one on occasion there no way i could drink this all night

1.12/5  rDev -72.4%

I have never tried a beer that I couldn't finish. My brother is the same. Well, yesterday we tried Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Marzen and neither of us could drink it.

What an experience! I must admit I am not a big fan of smoked food and I realize that this beer is probably an acquired taste but I will give Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Marzen credit for initiating a lesson in recognizing excessive hubris on my part. I generally pride myself in my ability to eat or drink things that would make a billygoat sick but this stuff slapped me hard and put me in my place.

We did, however, put the beer to good use as a marinade for our barbecued chicken. Now that I can handle.

4.82/5  rDev +18.7%

what better to start off a nice superbowl superstitious party then with some smokey beers hopefully the giants will smoke the patriots then this omen will be very appropriate

wow poured with a crazy rocky head on the beer who said lager beer can't have a wicked head on the top? this beer looks like a crafted ale not a lager by any means

whoa talk about bacon in the aroma...meaty and full of smoke and floral hops and dare i say a little bit of sourness almost a vinegar type quality?

taste outstanding reallly rich layers of complex malt on top of delicate smoke in the beginning then intense phenolic smoke coming on on the end really a nice elevation there

mouthfeel rich without being cloying wow perfect bubbles

overall almost a perfect beer for the style i guess when you make rauchbier this long you really can get it down but wow what a fantastic beer

2.95/5  rDev -27.3%

The Rauchbier style is an old German beer style, its origins go back to the 1500's and to the district of Franconia and the town of Bamberg. It's typically of dark colour and has similarities of the Oktoberfestbier. Green malts are literally dried over an open fire of beech wood, imparting a unique smokiness ("rauch" is German for smoke), the usage of which produces beers of an acquired taste. Imagine a smokiness so robust, so assertive, that it tastes of spiced, smoked meat.

Well, this has to be my first smoke beer from Germany or anywhere by that matter. When I pop the top on this beast I actually smell smoked beer, dying to try it now because my mouth is watering. Let me taste it now.
Ok thats different so where's the ham and chesse?
This would defintely fit in with ham and chesse group.

The pour, Huge head but didn't last long, bummer.

This says a pint and 9 oz. good becuse the last ber was 11.2 oz.

Dark but you can see through it with light.

I need to look up what Marzen means.

Brewed back in the 1500's, hmm don't really get into them much.
Well it's thick and chewy so I like that but something is throwing it off for me.
The days would have to be colder for me to enjoy this one more.
So if you like meat really bad you will like this one.

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen from Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla