Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen | Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla
Germany
schlenkerla.de

Style: Rauchbier

ABV may vary slightly year to year.

Bamberg's speciality, a dark, bottom fermented smokebeer, brewed with Original Schlenkerla Smokemalt from the Schlenkerla maltings and tapped according to old tradition directly from the gravity-fed oakwood cask in the historical brewery tavern.

Added by taez555 on 07-11-2001

Ratings: 2,324 |  Reviews: 1,134
4.49/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I have had smoked beers but this is my first rauchbier officially. Absolutely love the smokiness. Not overpowering and nicely smooth. Great mouthfeel. Serve it on the warm side around 55+ and it give great smells of smoke and oak woods. I would love to use this for braising my smoked ribs and then put on the grill. It would pair well for drinking with any smoke meats. Overall this is a refreshing surprise and I will seek out again.

3.99/5  rDev -1.7%

Pours a deep brown with a bit of red, small head, and little lacing. Nose is obviously smoky...hard to get much past that...but it to s a nice smokehouse smell and not fake. Flavor has a touch of malty sweetness, which is balanced by the smokiness like good BBQ. Overall, a very good beer. The only negative being the smoke forces it to be a little one dimensional.

4.17/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

2.98/5  rDev -26.6%

Clear reddish-brown, big frothy head.

Smoky malt in the smell.

Holy smoked flavor batman. Tastes like, bacon, ham, smoked fish, with a sweet malty finish. Very interesting. Probably an acquired taste.

Medium-light mouthfeel.

I guess this is what rauchbiers are like. I generally like smoked things, but the combination of the smoked meats with the sweetness got to be too much for me quickly. Very interesting, but I didn't find it very drinkable.

4.59/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Dark brown/ruby body, light tan frothy head. Smells like a bonfire made with damp wood- smoke, smoke, smoke, combined with earthy peat. Beneath all that is an actual Marzenbier, with toasty caramel malt and slight fruitiness. Flavor is hot with smoke but smooth with malt, faint twang of citrus, or even hops. Mouthfeel is ethereal- fluffy, smooth, even quenching if it weren't for the flavor.
Oops, my bias is showing. I apparently love smoky beers, so this one really hit my G-spot. As heavy and domineering of a flavor that smoke is, this still had nuance. Smoke here, smoke there, smoke out my ass, it was kept in check by almost-sweet caramel malt holding on for dear life. My only gripe is that with such heavy flavor they could up the ABV. This is an instant top 10 beer for me, I just wish it was everyday affordable.

3.95/5  rDev -2.7%

A-Pours a very robust copper almost brown color with two fingers of off white head that dissipates quickly.

S-Smells like hickory smoked bacon and liquid smoke combined with light earthy notes.

T-Taste isn't incredibly smoky at first and the Marzen characteristics (rich malt and crisp hops)come through but then it develops into a lot of smoky notes on the finish.

M-Mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate, prickly carbonation and a drying finish.

D-I like that this Rauchbier/smoked beer isn't overwhelmingly rich; I find this really aids the drinkability as the smoke qualities bring in a richness of their own

4.24/5  rDev +4.4%

1 pt 09 fl oz bottle, cold, poured into wide-mouthed brandy snifter type glass. This beer is much darker than it's Weizen relative, and the head seems much thinner. This beer is nearly black with just a little hint of amber at the edges. Correspondingly, the aroma is even deeper and more inviting than the Weizen. I've reviewed this beer before on tap at last year's GBBF, so I'll focus this review on the differences between this version and the bottled Weizen Rauchbier of the same make.

This beer is much more bitter. In that regard, it's actually flatter than the otherwise inferior Weizen version (coincidentally, it's also less fizzy, which works in its favor, in my opinion). The bitterness is of burnt malt and some German hops as well, and whereas the Weizen reminded me of tea, this reminds me more of particular smokey coffees (I like Allegro's Sulawesi Toraja, but my coffee-fu is not yet up to the standard of my Beer- or Tea-fu, so you may have to forgive my lack of vocabulary here).

Finally, there's a bit of an acidic of even iodine note in the very back of the flavor. Of the two, I prefer the Marzen, but both are great. No yeast in this bottle either.

3.83/5  rDev -5.7%

Wow, this has been something I've been meaning to explore for quite sometime. The rauchbier style has intrigued me for awhile but nothing could prepare me for what I was about to taste. This pours a clear dark chestnut brown in color with a tan, bubbly head. Attractive lacing down the side of my pint. Aroma of smoked malt with a touch of fruitiness. The nose is also somewhat medicinal. Medium-bodied mouthfeel is very smooth. Unbelievable smoked malt taste that gets even stronger in the finish. I know there's an underlying marzen beer underneath but the smokiness of the beer just dominates throughout. Way, way in the back you can start to pull out some of the caramel and a hop bitterness that attempts to keep things in check.

This is a beer that begs to be consumed with food. It's a most unique style. This would obviously pair well with smoked foods like salmon, BBQ ribs and grilled sausage. The style is probably an acquired taste and I think it takes a few times to "get it". But once you do... wow, it's amazing.

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

4.24/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Dark brown after the pour, but ruby red when held up to light. A bit flat though.

Smell: Cigar smoke and molasses. Some bacon as well. Incredible.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Smoked sausage and a hint of scotch. Some tobacco and molasses as well. I enjoy this a lot, but wish it were stronger. Feels really thin initially, which hurts the flavor a bit by watering it down. Feels better as it warms.

Overall Drinkability: This is a good beer, but is not as good as Schlenkerla Eiche. I do love the overall warming effect this has, which is definitely a good quality.

3.13/5  rDev -22.9%

Tasted alongside the urbock. Pours a deep brown with a finger of quickly dying head and wisps of lacing.

The aroma is pure campfire smoke. Waking up at 7 am after a night of drinking by the fire hair smell. Some coffee grinds in there as well.

The flavor is a bit lighter on the smokiness. Somewhat watery actually underneath the initial layer of smoke. Not as deep as the urbock and truthfully not really noteworthy. No "off" flavors at all which is a positive, but not really many "on" flavors either.

The body is medium and a bit watery. Carbonation is high but not stinging.

Overall this is a decent enough beer, but not one that I would really feel the desire to drink again.

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

Into a pint glass, pours a dark woody brown bordering on copper, a nice inch thick off-white head shrinking to a thickish film, with some pretty nice lacing. The aroma is meaty, mostly bacon, burnt and smoky oak... its right on for the style but still a bit shocking, in that its almost not like beer. In fact, it reminds me a bit of smoking cigars, for some reason.

The taste I can enjoy more, and regains some beery qualities. Starts off quite smoky and lots of woodiness, turns more malty with toffee and they malty base is most evident. And then it turns right back to the smoke, a bit drawn out finish that ends dry and again reminds me of smoking a fine cigar.

The mouths is around medium, decent carbonation, drying toward the end, pretty decent. What I really needed while drinking this is a bid, meaty heap of a sandwich. That would've been quality. But alone, it still stands tall.

The rauchbier is the style that could easily be horrible if ill-tuned, but this one is right on the money.

4.22/5  rDev +3.9%

One inch of noisy, tan foam condenses. A clear, dark, red-brown beer: pretty. Smoked ham in the nose with sweet malt underneath. Smells just like winter nights growing up. Wow. The front is tangy and charcoaly. Middle is full with a little chocolate in the malt. Finish is smoky, meaty, grainsy, hoppy with a little sugar. Wow again. Delicious. The smoke is strong, but not intrusive. The malt is very nice (though it could be even more assertive, I think). I really enjoyed this one.

3.88/5  rDev -4.4%

A_Pours a dark brown with ruby red highlights when held to the light. A nice two finger head settles into a splotchy foam cap.

S_Deep charcoal like smoke scent. Slight sweetness.

T_Sweetness at first followed by a nice smoked flavour. Charcoal is less pronounced than in the nose. A more mild smoked taste overall than expected. Still enough to be please. Slight acidity in the finish. Aftertaste is medium smoke and dry.

M_Light bodied, medium to above average carbonation.

D_A nice rauch but not quite as good as the festbier of theirs.

The smoke almost takes over the 10 foot radius around the opened beer. It really hit me when I popped the cap. Its a full hickory, almost oaky smoke. Like BBQ type smoke. The taste is dominated by the smoke. very oaky, and dominated by the wood. Its the tale of an unbalanced rauchbier.

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

4.18/5  rDev +3%

10/7/2005 $3.79 1 pint 9 oz 5.10% No best by date.

Appearance:

Pours a deep brown with intense highlights of amber and ruby red. Tight carbonation leads to an inch plus of creamy tan head that settles slowly leaving behind a nice lacing.

Aroma:

Smoked ham, camp fire pits, sweet malt in the background.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

Mouthfeel is ultra-smooth with a nicely sweet malt backbone that is surrounded by the sensation of smoked ham bits that appear in Cambell's soup (Bean w/ Bacon comes to mind). I tried this about two years ago, and poured the bottle down the drain, considering it undrinkable. Fast forward to today, and I find it amazing. One of the smoothest beers I've encountered, while the smoke and malt sweetness pair nicely.

4.39/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

The beer pours reddish copper in a Don de Dieu glass. Nice foamy head, it diminishes pretty fast though, but holds the glass fairly well. Surprising aroma, definitely a new class for me, meaty with bacon and ham, salty sausages. The flavors developments are quite unrivaled. Let me explain.. first that intense smokiness (long dry smoky/bitter finish)is kind of a guardian over the journey that tasting this beer is. It's also one of the not so typical beers that holds the 4 basic flavors. Mouth entrance is very malty and moderatly sweet with the body being medium to full. Then, those smoked malts develop into a salty (bacon is salty after all) taste. Slightly tart at the same time. The finish is intense and bitter, woody, earthy, peaty. I wouldn't drink this everyday, but I can see this doing wonders paired with multiple meals (pancakes, poultry, pepper beef etc.)

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%