Sinebrychoff Porter | Oy Sinebrychoff Ab

Finland
koff.fi

Style: Baltic Porter

Added by Todd on 02-12-2002

I got a bottle of this at my favorite pub, The Cock & Bull. Thanks, Dawn and Howie!

This is the first Baltic Porter I've reviewed. It's a bit different from American Porters. It is heavy -- very much like a stout -- with lots of roasted malt flavors. I had this beer with a great stout cake. What a fantastic food pairing.

From what I understand, this is no longer available in the United States. Too bad, because it's a good beer.

33cl
7.2% ALC./VOL.
Has a “Parasta Ennen/Best Before:” on the label but no date

Appearance – one beautiful porter; nearly black body; light brown head with reasonable life; great lace

Smell – solid prune foundation; some wine and chocolate

Taste – pleasant balance; thin molasses; reasonably roasted; the most bitter section is the close but its slight…and lasting for that matter; alcohol is fantastically masked

Mouthfeel – medium body; very smooth; moderately oily with a light touch of carbonation; clean, even finish; not dry

Drinkability – superb

Sinebrychoff’s Porter is a middle-deck homerun.

4.13/5  rDev -1%

The bottle says it's best before 27.06.2003. I'm still giving it a shot. The color is black with a creamy, light brown head. The aroma is lightly of roasted malts with a distinct smoked smell. Taste is of roasted chocolate with an earthy smoked taste. Overall the taste is very good, but just a bit underwhelming. Most of the standard English or American porters seem to have a more engaging flavor, off course this could be because the beer is a little old and probably wasn't aged properly. Mouthfeel is very creamy, which adds to my drinkability. This is great stuff, just a tad unwhelming, I wonder how great it would be fresh or corrrectly aged. I'll be looking for fresher bottles in the future.

4.42/5  rDev +6%

Brown/borderline black in hue, soft and foamy tan head that allows streaky lacing throughout. A delightful aroma of dark roasted coffee beans, chocolate, caramel and even some port/wine notes detected as warming takes affect. Oily smooth, cocoa, chocolate, plums and cherries noted in the initial sips. Burnt malts and a little hop bitterness detected in the middle; very well defined and flavorful. On-going sweetness, just a hint of alcohol, chocolate and espresso notes towards the end. Tasty, and then tasty some more; world class, a truly exceptional porter (an imperial porter?).

4.37/5  rDev +4.8%

Stout-like darkness--light won't shine through here. Tight bubbled, dark tan head leaves a noteable lace even if it isn't like the dry Irish stouts.

Warm fruity aroma with chocolate (and some coffee) notes. There's a sweetness and roundness to the smell with no detectable counter-hop bitterness.

Very rich and oily. Dark malts are the key ingredient here. There is a bittering hop counterbalance, though, particularly on the swallow.

This is powerful entry to my porter experience, perhaps the best. The mouthfeel is similar to the Samuel Smith pale ales while the flavor is far more dark in a good way--black patent and chocolate malts are very evident.

4.38/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

’98 Vintage. This is beer 100 on my personal list so I thought it was time to have something special.

Absolute pitch black in color with a quickly disappearing chocolate milk colored head. Aroma is of ripe dark fruits with a nice combination of toasted and patent malts. There is a subtle alcohol nose. The taste is quite complex. The main components are the toasted malts which have subtle hints of coffee. The flavor finishes slightly chocolaty. There is also a nice ripe fruit essence which compliments the other flavors. Mouthfeel is creamy and full with a slight oily character. It coats the mouth well and leaves a pleasant finish lingering around. This is damn good. That’s all I can say. I could easily down a couple of these and enjoy every sip of it.

4.6/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

02/27/05- Purchased at Oakville Market in Stanford, CA

Presentation- 11.2oz bottle with best by 06/2003!! Ouch!!! Didn't realize this until after I looked at the bottle when I got home today. Poured into a 22oz glass mug.

Appearance- Dark brown, approaching black color. Full thick dirty white big head and above average lacing.

Smell- Hardcore chocolate and coffee malts fill the air.

Taste- Started this puppy at about 48 degrees and drank it over a half hour and let it warm to around room temp. Huge dark chocolate malt along with an almost perfect matching amount of coffee. A nice amount of subdued bitter hops on the swallow.

Mouthfeel- Light carbonation and a very nice creamy feel, especially as it warms, gives this one a fuller mouthfeel. Feels like a higher abv that it actually states.

Drinkability- Paid more than I wanted for this one, but after I had it, I'd wish I grabbed another couple. This dude was almost 2 years past the best by date and it was still pretty incredible. I'm just coming around into the world of porters, and this may be the one that makes me turn the corner and try more. When I saw on the shelf and looked at the $3.49 price tag, I laughed and almost walked away because it looked like just another one of those euro beers that you have never heard of. Then I thought to myself, heck, I've never seen or heard of this one before and may never see it again. What if it's actually good? I'd kick myself if I got home and read the reviews and they were positive. So, I figured, what the hell, I'll only be out a few bucks if I'm wrong. I'm glad I was right...so glad. Two big thumbs up.

4.3/5  rDev +3.1%

Pours out an oily black with a slow rising light brown head. Some decent lacing left around the glass. The aroma is quite strong, chocolate malts and dark fruits stand out the most. Lighter notes of roastiness linger in the back. As this warmed the vinous qualities really came on strong. Sweet dark chocolate cover fruits come out in the flavor. There is a touch of alcohol present but the strong vinous qualities covered that. Ends with a dark sweet fruitiness. Medium and slick in the mouth. Very easy drinking brew that I enjoyed quite a bit. A great example of the style that had a good mix of flavors going on. I will definitely be picking this one up again.

3.98/5  rDev -4.6%

Dark black creamy chocolate like appearance but not taste, which was much like an Eastern European sour porter with the bitterness eased off. Roasted, much burnt mid sip. Some acidic. Some creaminess and yeast in finish. This being a 2003 expiry.
two years later had a 1998 that displayed alcohol as often an aged beer will do, and chocolate. Light crown with bubbles and lace on top of black. Low carbonation. Past its prime.

4.06/5  rDev -2.6%

Medium brown, small head. Cold coffee look. Cold coffee aroma too, joined with dark chocolate and nougat. Flavor is chocolate tobacco smoke, tar, and pine sap. Fudgy at times with fugglesish flavor. Thick, smooth, dry, the alcohol is present, and it is a bit oily. A good beer, but not as alive as I would like, and not as good as this style can get.

2.94/5  rDev -29.5%

A beer from finland eh? this is new for me, although I've sampled some American Baltic Porters. This stuff pours out thick & black. Light does not penetrate it. Looks more like an imp. stout to me. Nice tan head. Aroma is heavy on the raisins, with a bit of coffee type maltiness in the background.Taste is quite subtle. There is alot going on here..but it's hard to pinpoint any of it. Definitely some chocolatey/coffee type flavors, along with some alcohol, but nothing is jumping out. The mouthfeel is slick and quite watery. There is decent carbonation but nothing special here. Drinkability is not so hot in my book, but the thin mouthfeel helps a bit. Porters & stouts are not my thing it seems lately.

4.11/5  rDev -1.4%

Appearance was nice. Opaque black/brown with a rocky tan head. Very big bubbles and excellent head retention.

I was a bit disappointed by the smell. At first it seemed tinny, but as it warmed it got better and smelled more of burnt cocoa.

The taste was exceptional. Full of roasted malts and mocha. Also hints of burnt raisons and grains.

Mouthfeel was thick and chewy. Very robust and full bodied.

Drinkability was excellent for such a full bodied brew. This was due in my mind to the great taste.

This was my first experience with a Baltic outside of Heavyweights Perkuno's Hammer. I would defiantly recommend it and hope to sample a few more authentic examples of the style.

4.72/5  rDev +13.2%

I had one of my BA buddies who works in a local liquor store save this one for me when it came in. I only got 3 of 'em. I sampled 1 w/o reviewing--then another I used to make a pot roast in the slow cooker that came out excellent. Finally the review on the last remaining bottle (I wish I had him save more than 3 for me)-

A-pours a dark leathery brown/black with a hint of ruby towards the bottom of the glass. Forms a moderate 2-3mm head of dark tan and fades to a splashing of foam on top with some bigger bubbles of foam right in the middle.

S- kind of hard to place--wine-like aroma but with some bitterness intertwined. Very complex. You can sense that it is an excellent beer for cooking just from the smell. Its also an excellent beer for drinking though as I have a few sips on an extremely cold January evening.

T- Lovely dark roasted maltiness with some bitter hints--not as bitter as the smell hints at though. There is a Belgian-like complexity and a slight coffee/chocolate profile in the taste too. Just as smooth as can be -alcohol content at 7%+ is hardly noticeable. There are more flavors going on here but I am just not getting a loud enough signal to comment on what they are. Maybe dark cherries and dark chocolate ??

MF--this has an almost perfect mouthfeel --it is smooth and velvety and leaves you just saying --WOW--this is one hell of a beer. I am going to search out some others in this style to see how they compare as I have not had many Baltic porters.

D-extremely smooth and drinkable- I would love to have a couple more of these.

4.03/5  rDev -3.4%

This black brew begets a belligerent barely brown... head (is there a synonym for head that starts with a B?) The head drops steadily but leaves a thick tan lace. Very nice. In addition to coffee aroma notes, there is a clean hop floral aroma. First on the tongue is chocolate, followed by roasted notes, coffee, smoke. Just barely astringent. Quite dry. Full bodied. Smooth but slick. Alcohol was imperceptible until I got up from the couch.

Overall: powerful porter. imperial?

4.59/5  rDev +10.1%

1998 Vintage

This one is black as night with a creamy light brown head. Leaves a good amount of lacing. The aroma is malty and chocolatey, with rum soaked dark fruits, bread and a slight bit of roastiness. The aroma is just awesome. The flavor is malty and bready, it then flows to chocolate and dark fruit flavor. Again just a tad bit of roasted malt is present in the flavor. The mouthfeel is very smooth and creamy, almost velvety. It is very drinkable for its strength. An excellent porter. One of my favorites, if not the best one I've yet to have.

3.92/5  rDev -6%

This beer pours opaque and dark brown with a small head. The aroma wafts up from the glass with a smell of raisins and plum preserves. There is a slight winyness to this nose as well.

The taste is quick to match the smell but changes to coffee. It starts like a Baltic and changes to a dry stout. It then returns with a little fruit. It wanders over my tongue prickling the sides with a little tartness. The carbonation feels embedded in this beer.

I prefer Baltic Porter to dry stout and I drink Imperial Stout often. This version, while good, is more dry than I prefer. It's as if a Guinness were blended with an OKOCIM porter. I prefer the fruitiness to the dryness.

This is good and I'll try it again but I seek a less dry profile.

4.14/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Presentation: short and stumpy brown 11.2 fl.oz bottle. Not freshness date of any kind.

Apprearance: Pours pitch black, even held up to the light you won't be able to see through this one. A thick and creamy dark tan head with good lacing.

Smell: Upfront it has a wine-like tannic with some acidity. Then very dark roasted malts come through with of coffee, expresso, and a light sweetness.

Taste: Explosion of the dark roasted malts. Very strong coffee and chocolate flavors upfront with hop bitterness getting stronger midway through the taste. Slight oakiness. Light carbonation and finishes velvety smooth with a little acidic twang, loads of coffee, dark chocolate, and a light hop bitterness. No hints of the 7.2% ABV.

Notes: Wow, this is one tasty beer. Definitely a great one for coffee and chocolate lovers. I was a little put off by the nose though, doesn't seem to match well, but an excellent beer nonetheless.

3.82/5  rDev -8.4%

Pours a thick, motor-oil black with 2 fingers of lingering, dimpled, dense, tan head. Looks *exactly* like my dream beer.

Smells clean, sweet and malty, and only slightly roasty.

The fist sip feels like a velvet kiss when the head meets my lips, then it parts for the cool liquid beneath - like burnt chocolate silk. Later on it feels creamy smooth in the mouth. Hands-down one of the best mouthfeels I've ever encountered. Big, smooth, slightly dry, caressing...

Nice roasted malt element to the taste. It has a major coffee note towards the end. A huge, slightly acrid middle. There's little hop element - all bitterness seems to come from the roasted malt, though there might be a bit of grassy hops. As I go on drinking, thedryness get s bigger - not unpleasant though. Like sharp, spare, black coffee. Overall, seems like an Irish dry stout on stereroids.

A helluva beer. I'm a bit surprised by the lack of fruit notes and malt-sweetness - isn't it a bit out of character for a Baltic Porter?

4.28/5  rDev +2.6%

Best by: June 27, 03-oops! Pours a very deep, dark black, but there's maybe a touch of ruby if hold the glass right. Smells of chocolate covered raisins. Taste is very similar to smell, with a nice roasty bitterness. The only thing about this beer that I don't like is that one's enough.

***
98 vintage:

Pours a very dark ink black. Smells a little funky, like an alcoholic prune juice, which you'd think would be unpleasant but isn't. Tastes...old. It's the oldest beer I've ever had, so I don't have anything to compare it to, but there's not much carbonation, and the mouthfeel's rather thin. It tastes of raisin, with a dark roasty quality.

This was quite interesting, although I'm not sure the bottle was worth it (four bucks!). Nevertheless, it's fun to drink a really old beer and see how well it's aged (or not). This one seems to have held up well.

4.64/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow, this beer didn't last too long.

Ok, the appearance... the beer poured a deep brown color, basically black. There was just the slightest hint of ruby highlights in the corners of the glass. The only disappointing thing about this beer's appearance was the lack of a good head. It was almost nonexistent.

THE TASTE WASN'T THOUGH! Bah-zing! So much flavor. Deep molasses, currants, caramel, and a strong burnt flavor in the finish. A nice balance between the hops and malt. Is this beer 7.2% It doesn't taste like it. Yes, it is. I drank half of the bottle and I can already feel the buzz.

The beer was medium to full-bodied. There definitely was some unfermented sugar remaining, and perhaps that is why it was so drinkable. It was like a molasses candy drink, with plenty of spice from the hops and dark malts. This beer is a delight, and highly recommended. I love Baltic Porters.

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

Light-sucking black with the faintest glimmer of mahogany at the margins, topped by a dense head of light cocoa brown that displays an actively pitting surface. It isn't as firm or as sticky as some, but is still a great looking cap while it lasts. Decent persistence with disappointingly little lace.

The nose is powerful and consists of chocolate liqueur, heavily roasted malt and espresso, in that order. Alcohol (dark rum) is noticed as well, but it's such as integral part of the whole that it's an asset to the aroma, not a detriment. If I had to choose one word to describe the aroma, that word would be 'complex'. Good Baltic porter noses, such as this one, are some of my favorites in all of beerdom.

Sinebrychoff Porter is as delicious as the nose suggested it would be. First of all, it's hugely malted with a layered, multi-faceted, supremely sophisticated flavor that isn't dominated by dark chocolate or coffee, although they're present, but by perfectly roasted barley, molasses and anise. Hops leave a shallow footprint. The full, almost chewy, mouthfeel leads to a lingering finish that allows continued enjoyment long after the swallow.

The flavor profile is in constant flux throughout each mouthful, with the various components fading in and out, then back in again; especially noticed once the beer has left the mouth. On a final note, it seems to drink higher than the stated ABV. I'm drinking this bottle on a full stomach and it feels all of 10%.

Sinebrychoff Porter doesn't quite supplant Perkuno's Hammer in my mind, but it is outstanding beer and has few peers in its class. Baltic Porter is one of my favorite non-hoppy styles and this bottle does nothing to change that. One of the best, if not THE best, beers that is readily available to me.

3.58/5  rDev -14.1%

This beer pours black( even held to light no colors come through) has a one finger head with great retention( the head sat on top like a sponge) and thick webs of lacing. The aroma was of chocolate malt with hints of fruity hops. The taste was pure roasted chocolate and it was suprisingly bitter some alcohol comes through in the flavor but it doesn't last long. The beer is full bodied creamy and smooth.

Reflection: This was a pretty good porter, I plan on picking up more so my buddies can try it.

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

"Oh, baby, it's been a while. Why you gotta stay away for soooo long?"

This is just a classic, and I'm sure my review won't add much to the 140+ prior to this. But so be it. Who knows?

Dark, dark brew -- truly black -- with a sticky brown lace that looks like a styrofoam pillow. Smoked wood, burnt chocolate, bittersweet bars of Lindt, and some subtle vinous fruit notes. This smells big. And it tastes/feels big too. Thick body with a warming, pleasant, subdued charcoal flavor that unlies the entire experience. Black malts and a hint of java round out the roasted flavors, but this really is dominated by chocolate. Chocolate powder and malted milk balls punch through the initial sip. The roastiness builds as you drink this, but there's a slurp of chocolate in every drink. A delightful classic.

4.18/5  rDev +0.2%

12oz. bottle poured into a tulip-style glass. It pours a deep jet black color with three fingers of dark tan head. There's lots of sticky lacing left on the glass. The smell is rich and malty. Lots of roasted malt along with some dark fruit and licorice. Just a touch of alcohol. The taste is also malty, with lots of burnt malt, toffee, and a touch of espresso. A slightly dry finish. The mouthfeel is smooth, and just a little oily. The drinkability is good for a 7.2% brew. A nice Baltic porter.

4.41/5  rDev +5.8%

Sinebrychoff Porter (best before 27.06.2003):

Beautimus deep auburn color with a tan head that just looks scrump-o-licious. Vinous nose and flavor follows wonderfully. This is all a Baltic porter should be: malty, and subtle flavors of toffee, cold coffee, and dark dried fruit…vinous with an easy dark chocolate quality sustains throughout. Silky smooth mouthfeel that just makes ya want to chew on it. Now 17 months beyond it’s “best before” date this is still a stellar winter sipper.

Cheers…