Freestyle Series #8 | Oxbow Brewing Company

Oxbow Brewing Company
Maine, United States
oxbowbeer.com

Style: American IPA

A chronic composite of American ale yeast and American hops; we continually hopped the beer with Amarillo, Centennial, Columbus, and Cascade hops before using the Mash Tun as a hopback, and dry-hopped with Amarillo and Cascade.

Added by ToasterChef on 09-29-2012

Reviews: 4 | Ratings: 10
Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

4.58/5  rDev +15.9%

Had this beer as a follow up beer to Pliny the Elder, and was not one bit dissapointed. Great consistency, you find yourself swishing around in your mouth, enjoying the rumbling bitterness paired with an upbeat citrus zest, imagine Heady Topper meets Ruination. I only hope Oxbow puts this beer in regular circulation as it be would my go to IPA.

4.75/5  rDev +20.3%

3.95/5  rDev 0%

Brand new beer by the boys from Newcastle. It was first served earlier this week in Portland, but today was the first day you could buy a growler of it from the brewery. Since picking it up earlier today, this growler has been in a cooler. I'm enjoying it in an Oxbox logo tulip, also purchased at the brewery today (a steal at $5).

The beer has a combination of Cascade, Centennial and Amarillo hops used in its creation. Some were in the boil, some were used in dry hopping, and whole leaf cascade were used in a hopback. [I think that is accurate information.]

This is an opaque, golden beer, with a large white foam head. I can't see any carbonation rising within. Swirling the beer leaves lots of good lacing. It's a little surprising to me to see an opaque IPA (which isn't necessarily bad), but otherwise, this beer looks pretty good.

Number 8 has a lot of fruity citrus hops in its aroma. There is some notes of farmhouse yeast. I'm not sure if actual farmhouse yeast was used or a more traditional IPA yeast, so perhaps I'm just projecting some of these smells.

This is a fairly easy drinking beer. The bitterness isn't too strong, but is more potent than anything else I've had by Oxbow. There are a lot of citrus flavors at first. Some small amounts of crystal sugar sweetness sneak in. The finish has more of a pepper flavor.

This is a medium bodied beer with an appropriate amount of carbonation. The bubbles and hop oils create some tingling flavors like you would hope to find in a good IPA. My lips and the inside of my mouth aren't quite sticky, but there is a noticeable film left behind. It maintains some of the hop flavors.

I like this beer. It's a little different from the other Oxbow beers I've been able to try. I like it when a brewery can challenge themselves and succeed, but it's hard to say that brewing a traditional American IPA is challenge for a brewery of Oxbow's caliber. As Tim told me today, Maine has a lot of good IPAs, but there's always room for one more. I'm glad I made some room in my fridge for this one. If you're a fan of Oxbow, this one is worth the trip up to Newcastle.

4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

4.75/5  rDev +20.3%

3.6/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured into a tulip. This one pours a somewhat hazy dark golden with a thing layer of creamy white head. A little bit of sparse lace.

The aroma is lots of citrus packed with citrus hops and a bit of a malty backbone. A bit of bitterness in the finish. The pallet has a nice citrus flavor to it with a bit of a bitter edge. A bit of malty sweetness in the background.

The body is medium with soft carbonation. Overall this one is pretty well done. This one is solid. Real enjoyable.

3.97/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured into a tulip. Thanks to bendurgin for sharing! The color is medium cantaloupe with some haze. There is a small fluffy white head that leaves a bit of lacing behind.

The aroma is full of citrus hops with just a hint of melon and a hint of pine.

The malt flavor is just sweet enough to compliment the citrusy hop flavor. There is just a slight bitter finish.

This is medium bodied and delicious. I love the Oxbow saisons; this is enjoyable.

4.25/5  rDev +7.6%