California Pale Ale | Bayhawk Ales

3.33 w/ 61 ratings
California Pale AleCalifornia Pale Ale

Bayhawk Ales
bayhawkales.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by kbub6f on 02-27-2003

Liked:
3.33/5
Alströms:

1.16/5  rDev -65.2%

Terrible

1.19/5  rDev -64.3%

Do you like olive oil in your beer? If you do, bottoms up, you'll dig this stuff.

Had it at a beer tasting and I literally couldn't get myself to take a second sip. The bottle may have been rancid. I am not always a big fan of Bayhawk beers, but they are usually drinkable and at least somewhat enjoyable.

A - cloudy yellow/gold

S - olive oil and undercooked grains

T - olives

M - Oily, fatty, yuck

D - um... I'd say NOT AT ALL

1.67/5  rDev -49.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

This pours a coppery orange with a huge head that is so tall it's starting to piss me off. The head stands a good three inches over the one inch of beer in the bottom,it is creamy and looks pretty nice,I just wish it would go away so I can try to enjoy this offering. Seriously,does this have to be this carbonated? The nose is a little malty with sour notes,no hop is noticed,also smells like plastic. Okay,the head has finely receded to leave a huge glob of lacing on my snifter,it is seriously as big as Tom Sellecks moustache and in the same shape,wtf? This is not that good,the head is somewhat entertaining,though I would trade the laughs for a decent tasting beer right now. This is just kind of sour and under hopped. Maybe it has spoiled? Maybe this is how it's suppose to taste? Maybe they should have a date to drink by printed on the bottle,that would be nice. This has way to much carbonation anyway and not a good mouthfeel or drinking experience. If ya can't get this stuff to the Midwest fresh,don't send it.

1.74/5  rDev -47.7%

To start...a little about me to put this review in context. I am a homebrewer. I think that I'm a good home brewer. i read reviews on BA all the time, but this is only the second review that I've written. I like supporting small brewies. When I saw this beer I was excited because I had never heard of Bayhawk Ales. The reason that this beer moved me to write a review is beacuse it infuriates me when I pay a premium price for beers that are not as good as my homebrew. I paid $5 for a 22, which is pretty standard for a craft brew, but still expensive when you consider that it equates to about a $15 6-pack. Don't get me wrong, I will gladly pay $5 for a little strange.

This beer is cloyingly sweet, which is magnified by the very orangey Amarillo hop aroma. It tastes like a mixture of malt liquor and OJ. I think that I will save the rest for tomorrow to see if it tastes any better for breakfast.

To sum up my review, if I made this beer at home, I would not serve it to my friends. I would love to tell you that I'd dump it down the drain, but that might be a little strong given that I have cases and cases of home brew that i won't drink, but can't bring myself to pour down the drain.

This beer re-enforces everything that I know about the State of California. The bay area kicks ass. The central coast is great. Once you get south of Santa Barbara, everyting is shitty until you get to San Diego.

2.25/5  rDev -32.4%

When i poured this beer i received a dull penny color,which is ok by me.I thought this beer was highly carbonated,very tingley in the mouth.fairly decent head retention.The taste was mild citrus with a large piney taste,not very malty.I brewed a pale ale (my 2nd batch) that tasted almost identical to this.If i can brew this in my basement why can't i make dollars? Basically i expected a little more.

2.48/5  rDev -25.5%

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into a pint glass.

When i opened this beer the carbonation was very evident by the sound and i could see foam rising in the neck of the bottle.

Carefully poured into a pint glass, i got about 2 oz of beer and the rest was a big, white foamy head. It took about 5 minutes just to pour a pint.

Smell - Not really much going on here. Some faint hops with a bit of malt in the background.

Taste - Very one dimensional with a grassy, lemon flavor. Nothing to set this apart from the average pale ale.

Mouthfeel - Very tingly mouthfeel. This beer is an overcarbonated mess. Did i get a bad bottle?

Drinkability - Not very drinkable. This might be a decent pale ale except for the carbonation which is way overdone. I won't buy this again.

2.75/5  rDev -17.4%

2.88/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 4 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Picked this up at the grocery store in Irvine, CA.

Look: Cloudy/hazy, and golden. Large, fast-moving bubbles and frothy head that holds for a long time. Lingering lace.
Smell: Unpleasant. Smells like a sardine can, ammonia, not outright foul, but close.
Taste: Dry hoppiness. Nice balance of bitterness, not very much citrus for a west coast pale. Hints of Vanilla.
Feel: Slippery, good carbonation, light smooth drinking.
Overall. Good balance. Overcomes the unusual fishy smell. I'm not a fan of earthy hops in general, but this was more enjoyable than most which have that character.

Appearance: Pours a murky, light amber body with a thin, white head.

Smell: Caramel malts with a fruity peach character to it and a something odd and out of place that is still vaguely familiar that I can't place. One day I hope to unlock the Bayhawk CPA's secrets.

Taste: Lightly fruity with some measure of toffee sweetness. Light citrus notes lead up to the mildly bitter finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body. Moderate carbonation.

Drinkability: Just another shrug-inducing, run-of-the-mill pale ale.

3.08/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Slightly hazy dull golden color with a fluffy snow white head that lasts and last and leaves lots of lace

Smell: Lemoney citrus with a crackery malt underneath

Taste: It's like sucking on a lemon from the very start; nothing but lemoney tartness that overwhelms all

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: One dimensional and way too tart

3.1/5  rDev -6.9%

This was the last Bayhawk beer (the closest independent brewery to my home) I had yet to try. It certainly didn't supplant the Amber ale as my favorite of their beers.

Pours a dull yellow color ... almost more copper than gold. Tastes lightly of orange and lemon ... maybe some hops in there. Truly not much going on. Not a great deal of head either, and the mouthfeel is thin (which has become a common complaint in regards to Bayhawk beers).

With so many beers to choose from, Bayhawk is having a tough time beating out the horde of awesome San Diego breweries nearby.

3.18/5  rDev -4.5%

Pours a honey-toned copper/amber with a white, frothed milk head that settles to a miniscule foam while leaving sheets of lace blotted with bubbles. Nose is sweet pale malts and citrus. Pretty standard. Malts come out a lot more in the flavor. Hops have that citrus flavor, but also tastes like some floral notes as well. The toastiness of the malts is a bit overdone. Mouthfeel could be seen as more flat than smooth and just a tad bit syrupy. A decent drinker.

Being that this is on sale for about $3 a bomber, which is a steal of a deal in the Denton area, I would probably buy this again. Once it goes off sale, I'm not so sure. The quality really surprised me after having tried their awful chocolate porter. Pretty much a run of the mill APA.

3.24/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

When I think Bayhawk, I think of a brewer who produces "house beers" for restaurants like Lazy Dog, Claim Jumper, and Lucille's, not the one who brews and bottles under their name. Going down the road of pale ale, and 22 ounces is a good quantity to drink. On to the beer:

The color could be confused of the amber ale style, as its a light copperish and orange color. The head forms an inch thick, leaving a few strings of lace. It has a fair nose, no confusion of what it's trying to be. There's a lemon and leafy hop note, and also a kiss of honey. Could score higher if the intensity weren't so soft.

Clean character. Kiss of crisp hops and crisp carbonation. These are things that I appreciate in a pale ale, and are found in Bayhawk's California Pale Ale. Its biggest flaw is that the flavor's intensity is relatively weak, but that's better than having a bunch of off-flavors. A gentle snap of citrus hops hit first, followed by a slight lemon flavor. Minerals add an interesting layer to this pale ale. Easy drinking overall, which keeps this beer flowing into my mouth and not down the drain.

In a market filled of pale ales, this one finishes just below the middle, which is not to say you won't enjoy this brew. This pale ale's approach is clean, easy to drink, with a kiss of flavor.

3.28/5  rDev -1.5%

22 oz. bottle:

Pours hazed golden with a nice fluffy head. Lacing sticks.

The smell is of light citrus and a touch of sour fruit and a bit bready.

The taste is of a light citric and herbal/metallic bitterness mixing with a sweet pale maltiness. A bit bready. A lemony tart touch.

It's light-bodied, pretty thin.

Not what I expected for a pale ale from California. It's pretty thin with a slightly metallic touch and a general blandness. The tart/sour touch doesn't excite me, either. Still-in-all the mildness/lightness makes it pretty easy to drink.

3.32/5  rDev -0.3%

where the rubber hits the road this brew is just OK but I give it some extra points for being unique.

It is fairly balanced and a bit maltier than most pale's I've had. Hops aren't that strong in the smell but become active in the flavor and mouthfeel profile. Spicey and zippy at times really gives this a nice kick. Bready malts lead the way followed by a meaty body that is kicked to the curb by the whack job of hops and peppered finish. Lingering aftertaste could be cleaned up a bit better.

best offering from this brewery to date and for the price it is worthy of a corner fridge docking point.

3.33/5  rDev 0%

I have tried this and other Bayhawk beers at a variety of local brewfests around the southern California region over the years, but this is my first review version. 22 oz bottle purchased at La Bodega in Riverside, CA. in July 2006 for $2.99.

Pours a pretty light orange with a very nicely sized fluffy white head.

The aroma is of light sweet citrus (orange-tangerine) but not very powerful. The flavor is also generally light- citrus and flowery hops. But it hits a snag with a metallic back end that affects the flavor and mouthfeel (which is on the thin side, but OK).

Overall, this one is one of those "good enough" beers that I would happily drink, but would also just as happily try something else instead.

3.34/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

From BeerAdvocate Magazine #75 (April 2013):

Yeast character gets in the way and takes away from its drinkability a bit. Waiting a few sips in hoping it would pop … no pop. In the world of Pale Ales, this one is struggling to stay in the middle of the herd.

STYLE: American Pale Ale
ABV: 4.8%
AVAILABILITY: Year-round

LOOK: Clear brassy hue, great lacing

SMELL: Spicy hop, citrus rind, yeast, cracker graininess, pineapple skin

TASTE: Crisp, lighter bodied, orangey, balanced hop bitterness, bread crust, yeast, dry, pith, orange rind, herbal, salty, dried grass, dry finish

California Pale Ale from Bayhawk Ales