California Pale Ale | Bayhawk Ales

Read the review
California Pale AleCalifornia Pale Ale

Bayhawk Ales
bayhawkales.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by kbub6f on 02-27-2003

1.16/5  rDev -66%

Terrible

2.88/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 4 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Picked this up at the grocery store in Irvine, CA.

Look: Cloudy/hazy, and golden. Large, fast-moving bubbles and frothy head that holds for a long time. Lingering lace.
Smell: Unpleasant. Smells like a sardine can, ammonia, not outright foul, but close.
Taste: Dry hoppiness. Nice balance of bitterness, not very much citrus for a west coast pale. Hints of Vanilla.
Feel: Slippery, good carbonation, light smooth drinking.
Overall. Good balance. Overcomes the unusual fishy smell. I'm not a fan of earthy hops in general, but this was more enjoyable than most which have that character.

3.45/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Poured from 22oz bomber into a pint glass.

Appearance: light orange hue with a moderate haze and a strong effervescence. Head is a layer of frothy ivory foam that has good retention and leaves a nice lace on the glass. I like it.

Smell: yeasty up front with a lemony hop character. There's a pungent roughness to it that doesn't really appeal to me, though.

Taste: lemony, bright hops with much less of that roughness in the aroma. Malt is light and on the sweet side. Pretty well balanced for a lower-ABV pale ale. The flavor is a significant improvement over the aroma.

Mouthfeel: medium-light body with a big carbonation and a big creaminess.

Overall: this beer is good in a lot of ways, but the aroma provides a pretty poor introduction.

3.34/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

From BeerAdvocate Magazine #75 (April 2013):

Yeast character gets in the way and takes away from its drinkability a bit. Waiting a few sips in hoping it would pop … no pop. In the world of Pale Ales, this one is struggling to stay in the middle of the herd.

STYLE: American Pale Ale
ABV: 4.8%
AVAILABILITY: Year-round

LOOK: Clear brassy hue, great lacing

SMELL: Spicy hop, citrus rind, yeast, cracker graininess, pineapple skin

TASTE: Crisp, lighter bodied, orangey, balanced hop bitterness, bread crust, yeast, dry, pith, orange rind, herbal, salty, dried grass, dry finish

3.94/5  rDev +15.5%

1.74/5  rDev -49%

To start...a little about me to put this review in context. I am a homebrewer. I think that I'm a good home brewer. i read reviews on BA all the time, but this is only the second review that I've written. I like supporting small brewies. When I saw this beer I was excited because I had never heard of Bayhawk Ales. The reason that this beer moved me to write a review is beacuse it infuriates me when I pay a premium price for beers that are not as good as my homebrew. I paid $5 for a 22, which is pretty standard for a craft brew, but still expensive when you consider that it equates to about a $15 6-pack. Don't get me wrong, I will gladly pay $5 for a little strange.

This beer is cloyingly sweet, which is magnified by the very orangey Amarillo hop aroma. It tastes like a mixture of malt liquor and OJ. I think that I will save the rest for tomorrow to see if it tastes any better for breakfast.

To sum up my review, if I made this beer at home, I would not serve it to my friends. I would love to tell you that I'd dump it down the drain, but that might be a little strong given that I have cases and cases of home brew that i won't drink, but can't bring myself to pour down the drain.

This beer re-enforces everything that I know about the State of California. The bay area kicks ass. The central coast is great. Once you get south of Santa Barbara, everyting is shitty until you get to San Diego.

3.24/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

When I think Bayhawk, I think of a brewer who produces "house beers" for restaurants like Lazy Dog, Claim Jumper, and Lucille's, not the one who brews and bottles under their name. Going down the road of pale ale, and 22 ounces is a good quantity to drink. On to the beer:

The color could be confused of the amber ale style, as its a light copperish and orange color. The head forms an inch thick, leaving a few strings of lace. It has a fair nose, no confusion of what it's trying to be. There's a lemon and leafy hop note, and also a kiss of honey. Could score higher if the intensity weren't so soft.

Clean character. Kiss of crisp hops and crisp carbonation. These are things that I appreciate in a pale ale, and are found in Bayhawk's California Pale Ale. Its biggest flaw is that the flavor's intensity is relatively weak, but that's better than having a bunch of off-flavors. A gentle snap of citrus hops hit first, followed by a slight lemon flavor. Minerals add an interesting layer to this pale ale. Easy drinking overall, which keeps this beer flowing into my mouth and not down the drain.

In a market filled of pale ales, this one finishes just below the middle, which is not to say you won't enjoy this brew. This pale ale's approach is clean, easy to drink, with a kiss of flavor.

3.75/5  rDev +10%

3.46/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

pretty decent beer although not overly impressed, would drink again however because the taste is smooth and refreshing and definitely easy to drink..wasn't really knowing what to expect with a CPA, definitely lighter than your regular IPA but at the same time the CPA had fruity notes and a smoother finish

2.75/5  rDev -19.4%

3.75/5  rDev +10%

3.36/5  rDev -1.5%

Pours a slightly cloudy, golden orange color with a medium white head that disappears quickly. Scent is lightly hopped with some grain and subtle malt aromas. A little bit of earthiness as well. Taste is a nice balance of malt and hops with faint grapefruit and citrus flavors. Finishes with light bitterness and lemon. Mouthfeel is light bodied with interesting (off-putting?) finish. Drinkability is fair. Overall, this is not a bad pale ale. It is by far not one of the best, but it is a descent offering.

3.36/5  rDev -1.5%

This is my 2nd go around on tasting this brew, and my 1st review on BA. Going to take some time to really convey my thoughts... Gotta love A.D.D.!!!

Appearance: A nice cloudy orange. Very little head, even with a hard pour.

Smell: Very citrusy nose. A little earthy hop

Taste: Very nice citrus splash with a nice bitter rind and a little hop bitterness kick in the aftertaste. Notes from 1st bottle had a very strong citrus presence

Mouthfeel: This bottle was very low on carbonation. Had more of a watery feel than the 1st bottle.

Drinkability: This is a very sessionable beer. Bitter enough to please hopheads in a pinch (or on a budget), and smooth enough to enjoy all night

Serving type: bottle ($2.99 bomber from Hi-Time)

Overall, this is a decent beer, especially for the price.

4.33/5  rDev +27%

Got this from my dad who bought it on a whim in CA. Cheap bomber and pretty good.

Pours a honey color with 2 inches of white head. Leaves a nice lacing down the glass.

Smells bready and slight citrus. Not a huge smell.

Tastes slightly bitter with a sweet bread to balence. A very well balanced beer and good tasting too.

Mouthfeel is nicely carbonated and moderate body.

Drinkability is high. Bomber is not a problem and its low enough in alcohol to be easily drank.

California Pale Ale from Bayhawk Ales