1. Introducing the Respect BeerĀ® Society. Upgrading your account to a Society membership entitles you to more than a dozen awesome perks, from discounts, to ad-free browsing, extended users stats, and much more. Join today.
  2. BEER FEST ALERT: Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14-15!

Framingham Lager | Jack's Abby Brewing

Style: American Light Lager

None provided.

Reviews by Norica:
3.5/5  rDev -1.4%

I really hate to write this.... truly I do, because this is an outstanding brewery that has produced dozens of beers that I have absolutely adored.... but this was not one of them. I found it nearly tasteless fizzy water with a hop bitterness at the end... which didn't work, because it had nothing to balance it out. If their goal was to brew a light "American Style" lager that tasted like the ones that the macro guys make, they nailed it.

Me, I've always had a soft spot for American macros. I've been in Massachusetts for two weeks and I've already downed an 18 pack of Gansett and a sixer of Ballantine tallboys. Back in Indiana, I'd probably consume two cases of Schlitz every year.

Why? Because it tastes good. Other styles often taste better, but these still taste good. I gave fricking O'Douls a decent review. Not because I'm a contrarian, but because I enjoy the taste of a decently brewed macro.

And so I was super excited to come across this. Jack's Abby is probably the best lager brewery on the east coast (if you know of one better, please tell me--I'd love to try them). They know how to handle their yeast. They know how to lager beer. Some of the best breweries in the country don't know shit about lagering.

This... this is good. Not the otherwordly, best macro ever I had envisioned, but still good.

Pours gold with a small head. Smells weedy and lightly floral. Excellent aroma for the style, like walking through a hayfield at dusk.

Tastes a bit uninspired, but still solid. Grassy sweetness moving into a mellow barley middle and a very lightly hoppy finish with a light aftertaste of boiled veggies. Esters at the back end, so this is totally American. Zippy and sweeter than most macros, but without the more variegated grain profile that makes for a truly exceptional American adjunct pils.

A very good example of a style most of us don't care for is still a very good beer. Not a great beer, but a very good one.

3.01/5  rDev -15.2%

Hey, what can I say except you get what you pay for. Saw this for $12 change per 12-pack. Figured it was Jack's and how could you go wrong. But don't be fooled by the Abby's ratings because this offering is not on par with their other fine brews.

I guess if you like thin 4.5% ABV beers you'll be okay. Many others brew it worse. Since I'm an Imperial drinker I'm probably way too harsh. Try it, you won't dump it, just lower your expectations if you're used to their better brews.

4.55/5  rDev +28.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Looks as it should with a big, fizzy head. Smells of beer ingredients. Refreshing, clean, crisp. Finish is dry and similar to some macros. By far the most enjoyable beer of this style! That's why I give it a high rating. People rate this compared to other styles or as a beer in general, and that's not the intention of ratings. Compared to the other crap in this category that is considered beer, this shines! It's how all cheap beer should taste. A very good lager that represents Framingham well. Even my swill-drinking friends enjoy this one!

4.42/5  rDev +24.5%

3.82/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

2.98/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

3.81/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Framingham Lager from Jack's Abby Brewing