Hoponius Union | Jack's Abby Brewing

Jack's Abby Brewing
Massachusetts, United States
jacksabbybrewing.com

Style: American Pale Lager

This lager harmoniously combines lager yeast fermentation and west coast IPA hops. Our India style Pale Lager is like a traditional IPA but with a twist - it’s fermented cold and aged for extended periods. A blend of classic American hops creates a huge tropical fruit and citrusy hop aroma. A dry finish accentuates the pleasant bitterness and hop profile. Hoponius Union uses locally grown dehulled spelt from MA.

Added by mschofield on 08-07-2011

#773

Ratings: 2,729 |  Reviews: 394
3.66/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.68/5  rDev -13.4%

LOOK: Very much a golden yellow, but much lighter/paler than the ales I'm accustomed to. Lots of bubbles, not much head. Very clarified. (However: a more vigorous pour on the second one gives a much bigger, foamier head with good retention.)

SMELL: Gentle pour: almost no aroma until you get in close and then it's hoppy as hell. Vigorous pour: floral hop aromas big time.

TASTE: Smooth and crisp with a big hop profile. Mildly astringent finish, but the hops echo through after that. (Toward the end of the glass, seems to get a bit of a buttery off-flavor?)

FEEL: Lighter than I expected.

C/w/ other IPLs? Better than Dream Machine (by a bit), not doesn't touch Fathom (still my favorite of the style).

#MensJournal100Best2014

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

12 oz. bottle served in a Southern Tier tulip. Thanks to eorwar for the share.

A: Pours a clear golden yellow color with a fluffy white head forming on the pour. It recedes slowly to thin ring. Some splotchy lace is left down the glass.

S: Lager yeast profile with a light hoppiness to it. Subtle pale malts in the periphery.

T: Has a nice hoppy greenness to it with a mild citrus backing. Lager yeast profile with some sweet pale malts, but a nice hoppy bitterness cuts in at the end.

M: Very light bodied with a medium high carbonation level. Super easy drinking. Lightly bitter finish.

O: This was solid, but it was definitely hyped up in my head as being the best lager in the world. While it was very easy drinking and I would have again, I wouldn't put it in the upper echelon.

3.68/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.7/5  rDev -12.9%

3.7/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

I've never been a fan of IPL'S but I think it's because I haven't found one I like. I did not order this beer, my boss did, and I thought it was pushed on her by our rep., but either way I'm happy we got it because it's a great beer and it sells very good for us. It's nice and crisp, hoppy, not super high in ABV%. I would reorder this beer.

3.71/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Chose a pilsner glass. A pleasant nose full of piney hops with hints of thyme. Medium head sticks around and compliments the golden opaque liquid.
Up front moderate bitterness followed by an atypical lager malt taste. No grassy or grainy sweetness here but nothing unpleasant.
Really hard to define this one. A very good but not great selection on a hot Summer's day. I think it would go well some spicy sea fare. It's so-so with sharp cheddar cheese.
On it's own it's much better than Jack Brau by a mile and but not in the class as say Victory Prima Pils.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.74/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev -11.8%

Somehow this does not resonate with me. Some people call it dank, but to me it's sorta skunk. fresh bottle< 1 month old. I'm rating it on the last bottle of the 6 pack, and it has not grown on me at all

It's piney to a fault, witch registers skunky and onions to my nose and palate. The mouth is very crisp and dry. nice

I liked Lashes Lager and Kiwi Rising quite a bit. Saxonater is great. This is missing for me

3.75/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Hoponius Union from Jack's Abby Brewing