Copper Legend | Jack's Abby Brewing

Jack's Abby Brewing
Massachusetts, United States | website

Style: Märzen / Oktoberfest

Availability: Fall

Ancient timelines talk of dark days, plagued by hardships and Kingdom demands. When hope was all but lost, a legend emerged. A plumber. With copper pipes and an uncanny wit, he battled fierce foes and saw to the brewery’s opening. Our Octoberfest is malty, smooth and exceedingly drinkable. It is perfect to celebrate and honor today’s legends. We use locally grown wheat from MA, Munich malt and noble hops.

Added by jlindros on 09-06-2011

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
Reviews: 85 | Ratings: 406
3.33/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Orangey gold in color.

Has kind of a sourdough bread smell.

It's fairly malty and a little tart and sour at first. The sourness kind of lingers in the aftertaste, but not in an offensive way.

The mouthfeel is light and smooth.

I'm a little underwhelmed considering I really like the other beers I've had from this brewery. It's not bad, but nothing about really makes me want to have another one.

3.32/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Bottle poured into a 20oz glass
A: copper color, off white pillowy 2 inch head a bit of lace left behind
S: rust/slight metallic, nutmeg,ginger
T: true to October brews, light and not aggressive on the alcohol. Slight nutmeg and smooth malt tones throughout and limited bitterness

Overall easy drinker, true to style and won't disappoint

3.3/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Not Bad.

Very Drinkable.

Typical - Average American Made Octoberfest Beer.

Some sips give an earthiness - dirty kind of taste that some would call 'organic'

Yesterday, I was drinking SPATEN OKTOBERFEST which is considerably better than Jack's Abby Copper - and I am normally not a big fan at all of SPATEN relative to all the other exceptional German beers - yes, I know SPATEN is one of the most popular German beers and yet my comment stands - even though I am not normally a SPATEN fan, I consider SPATEN OKTOBERFEST to be pretty damn good as of yesterday when I had it for the very first time - and YES - I find SPATEN OKTOBERFEST to be SUPERIOR to JACK ABBY Copper ...that being said, I am indeed sitting here enjoying this Jack Abby Copper - it's not bad...HENCE...Rating 3.5.

If you want THE ...and I mean "THE" ULTIMATE OKTOBERFEST BIER, then treat yourself RIGHT to some AYINGER WEIZENBOCK - now THAT is the OKTOBERFEST BIER that NO one is EVER going to Improve upon or OUT-Do - it is the ULTIMATE - THAT is my Personal Guarantee and Promise to All of You Reading this review - TREAT Yourself right !

3.26/5  rDev -14%

Picked up a bottle at Julio's. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - Pours a nice crystal clear copper hue with a good almost two finger creamy head that fades to a nice thick blanket, but not much lacing at all.

S - Aromas are typical of an Oktoberfest, some light copper aromas as well as, in my opinion, far too much breads.

T - Taste is relatively meh as well. Way too much bread for me, way too biscuity, though the german malts are nice.

M - Mouthfeel is solid, as always. One of the best aspects.

O - Overall, this was a disappointment for me. Really had assumed Jack's Abby would make a flawless Oktoberfest, far from it.

3.25/5  rDev -14.2%

A: crystal clear; copper colored (duh!); 1 finger off white head that receded quickly; no lacing;

S: sweet malt; bread;

T: follows the nose with the sweetness taking over at the finish; a touch of bitterness in the background;

M: light bodied; light carbonation;

O: mellow; easy drinking; a little sweet for my taste;

Had this beer on tap at the brewery in Framingham. Served in a 4oz tasting glass. Served cool.

A-off white head, thick, nice gem like copper color.

S-standard marzen yeast smell, nice hard candy smell

T-fruit stone, hard candy

M-medium

D-Okay style wise. A bit run of the mill. Not bad, but just not anything to scream about.

2.91/5  rDev -23.2%

Got as an extra from someone, but can't remember who so thanks trading partner!

Pours orange with a small white foamy head. No lacing.

Smells of caramel with some earthy dirty aroma. A bit off.

Sweet caramel malts with a bit of apple and unfortunately a metallic dirty finish. Upfront flavors are ok, but the finish leaves a bit to be desired.

Thin bodied with good carbonation. I'd like more mouthfeel here.

Despite the words above I did enjoy drinking this beer. There were just little things in almost every aspect that made it average instead of good.

2.91/5  rDev -23.2%

Poured from the bottle into a goblet.

Appearance: The beer pours a clear amber color with a thick layer of off white head. The head fades quickly to a ring around the pour.

Smell: The overall smell is very mild. I'm getting a slightly sweet caramel malt note, but that's about it. Not particularly interesting.

Taste: Almost as mild as the smell. There is a fairly nice malt note, just a touch sweet and rather bready. The finish has a slight bitterness to it.

Mouthfeel: The body is medium with tingly carbonation and a finish that is slightly dry.

Overall: This is a quite unremarkable beer. Nothing particularly interesting going on here. I don't need anymore.

2.58/5  rDev -31.9%

A: [3.00] Nice orange to amber color in the glass. Forms a tiny white head that quickly dissipates to nothing. The bottle lists IBU (22) and ABV (5.7%). I can't find any dates.

S: [2.50] Strong pie spices. Really pungent. Like hard cider almost. To the point that it almost smells synthetic or like chemicals.

T: [2.50] The taste does not follow the nose. It is much mellower. There is still some apple pie spices - but none of the harshness. However, it has a weird after taste as I continue to drink it.

M: [3.00] The mouthfeel is decent. Nice carbonation and body.

O: [2.50] This would be a nice beer to have at a German festival. It would make me feel like I fit in. Other than that I am not sure when I would seek this out. The flavors are decent but it is not really my thing. It is too bad because I have had mostly solid hits from Jack's Abby.

2.53/5  rDev -33.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Had on tap recently @ Magouns in Somerville.

Pours a nice copper as the name suggests. Little head which goes away quickly.

Sweet, malty, slightly dirty nose. A bit of the same in the sip, a bit cloying, overly sweet. A bit of an unpleasant after -taste too which made my face pucker.

Above characteristics became highlighted & exacerbated as I drank the glass, it was a bit of a struggle to finish. Caramel notes were running rampant.

My least favorite offering from this new brewery so far, unfortunately. As a long time fan of Marzens & ofests, I cant help but feel this beer was rushed. Will try another time.

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last