Kiwi Rising - Double IPL | Jack's Abby Brewing

Added by rudzud on 11-17-2011

firstprev| 126-150 | 151-175 | 176-200  | next → last
Reviews: 177 | Ratings: 1,401
4.08/5  rDev -4.9%

i try to support my local brewers and have enjoyed the Hoponious lager from Jack's but I was a bit disappointed with Kiwi.

Yes, the color, head and nose were exciting and the taste is spot on. What wasn't right for me was the carbonation. Thin almost flat even though I got it right form the brewery. After pouring a second glass it was totally flat.

Carbonation is an easy fix so I will still Give Kiwi Rising a Big Thumb's up

Enjoyed on tap at the Armsby Abbey. This is a double IPL (Indian pale lager). Adding this as a dortmunder as their other hoppy offering was classified as such. This was brewed exclusively with New Zealand hops (I was told Pacific Jade and a few others).

A - Poured into a standard snifter a hazy golden orange with a very creamy half a finger of off white head that leaves rich side lacing and a nice creamy blanket.

S - Wow was the first feeling that coursed through my brain upon putting my nose to the snifter. Super fresh aroma of what is New Zealand hops. Smells almost like citra hops; no pine at all lots of citrus (grapefruit, orange, and tangerine). Very light crystal like malt sweetness mixed in as well. Wow.

T - Wow again. Is this really just New Zealand hops? Loads of fresh citrus on the tongue. The grapefruit rind is much more subtle, instead I get huge orange notes. Lots of orange rind but the biggest thing for me is it tastes almost like a Clementine. Reminds me of childhood, using my teeth to start peeling a Clementine. The bitterness and slight oil from the rind followed by the sweet citrus acidic mouthful of juice that would wash over my tongue. There is a very light bitterness at the finish. That lack of a super bitter finish, truely this is a Jack's Abby larger.

M - Smooth very creamy mild carbonation. This is crazy...8.5%?! Get the hell out of here with that. I'd maybe, maybe believe 5% but 8.5% no goddamn way. This is a snifter of orange juice!

O - Overall I like this beer so much I can't stand up from the bar in fear of being arrested for indecent exposure. What the hell guys. Why...why make a beer this good, this surprising. If lagering an IPA turns it into this symphony then all breweries should play these notes. I would drink this over any nondark beet any day of the week. This is truey something magical get this while it lasts everyone because as Cinderella said: "You don't know what you've got till its gone."

firstprev| 126-150 | 151-175 | 176-200  | next → last