Framinghammer Baltic Porter | Jack's Abby Brewing

Jack's Abby Brewing
Massachusetts, United States
jacksabbybrewing.com

Style: Baltic Porter

Big, Bold, and Black. This unusual lager style has many similarities to Imperial Stouts. A lengthy conditioning period creates a silky smooth chocolatey mouth feel enhanced by the use of oats and brown sugar. Noticeable sweetness gets balanced by roasted malt and hop bitterness. At 10% alcohol by volume, this beer is sure to keep you warm on a cold winter night.

Added by Todd on 01-17-2012

Reviews: 83 | Ratings: 702
Reviews by nmarsceill:
4.89/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

This is my favorite beer from Jack's Abby. Being a local brewery I have probably had more beer from them than any other craft brewery. In fact I have 3 growlers and 2 bottle in my fridge right now and sadly none of them are this beer - but if they were I'd be drinking them instead - its that good.

I am a big fan of the malt flavor in beer, not an overwhelming amount but a nice strong sweet sense, especially when the beer brings a balanced bitter component with it. This beer hits the sweet spot in my taste buds for this balance. Even at 10% ABV I could drink this beer all night, I just might have to do it home.

I find the flavor to ring of mostly molasses with a bit of spice to it - I really can't tell you if that's a cinnamon or a clove or anything else but I think of this beer flavor as having hints of that fall spice motif but with a much stronger smokiness. It causes the sides of the back of my tongue to twinge a little, but the way a good hot sauce causes your mouth to burn just a little - you notice it but it does not dissuade your next sip.

4.21/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I received a couple twelve ounce bottles in the latest round of NBS/BIF courtesy of BA cavedave. There is a batch code/date on the bottle reading #7 1814012116. Pouring this in my 13oz. stout/porter glass for the taste drive!

Look- It pours a dark oily brown leaving a generous and lively amount of mocha colored foam.

Smell- Bakers chocolate, dark roasted malt, molasses, black licorice and a hint of floral hops hiding in the back.

Taste- Chocolate malt, tobacco, molasses, some black licorice and wood. There are some floral notes that try to surface in the finish.

Feel- Oily and a bit on the effervescent side with a crisp dry finish.

Overall- A very flavorful example of the style. While dark, roasty and chocolatey, there is a slightly hoppy quality that reminds me of some Three Floyd's stouts/porters. Topless Wytch comes to mind and that's good company in my opinion. A very solid beer, I'm glad I have one more. I may cellar it a short while for comparison?

4.42/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bottled on 1/21/16.Pours nearly jet black except for some amber/brown highlights when held up to the light,a thick creamy deep beige head atop.Cocoa powder and coffee roast in the nose,the cocoa is large and in charge.Creamy and lightly carbonated feel just adds more good layers to this beer.The flavor profile is complex and multi layered,wood and char mixed with chocolate....even a bit of lightly smoked meat,the earthy finish makes it crazy drinkable for how big it is.I knew it would be good but this may be the best Baltic porter I have had,kick ass!

3.7/5  rDev -11.3%

4.21/5  rDev +1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

4.49/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

4.18/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.19/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

4.24/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.5/5  rDev -16.1%

4.78/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A: Black with a tan head. Creamy head reminiscent of a nitro but dissipates quickly.
Smell: Rich chocolate malt with some roastiness and a slight vegetal/earthy background.
Taste: Creamy upfront, alcohol in the middle and a lingering roasty bitterness at the back. Thick moderately carbonated mouthfeel. Alcohol lingers in my cheeks and down my throat. Sweetness, alcohol and chocolate are the main flavors but balanced nicely between them.
Mouthfeel: Creamy yet carbonated with a heaviness to it and slightly syrupy (in a good way)
Overall: I heard my heart singing love, love, love. This beer solidified my love for Jacks Abby and sparked my interest in baltic porters. I'm a sucker for dark, strong beers and this is one of the best I've had. I'll have this with my last meal, please...right after a rochefort 8.

3.75/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.32/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.75/5  rDev -10.1%

4.54/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.12/5  rDev -1.2%

4.27/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.09/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Framinghammer Baltic Porter from Jack's Abby Brewing