Framinghammer Baltic Porter | Jack's Abby Brewing

Jack's Abby Brewing
Massachusetts, United States
jacksabbybrewing.com

Style: Baltic Porter

Big, Bold, and Black. This unusual lager style has many similarities to Imperial Stouts. A lengthy conditioning period creates a silky smooth chocolatey mouth feel enhanced by the use of oats and brown sugar. Noticeable sweetness gets balanced by roasted malt and hop bitterness. At 10% alcohol by volume, this beer is sure to keep you warm on a cold winter night.

Added by Todd on 01-17-2012

4.9/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.89/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

This is my favorite beer from Jack's Abby. Being a local brewery I have probably had more beer from them than any other craft brewery. In fact I have 3 growlers and 2 bottle in my fridge right now and sadly none of them are this beer - but if they were I'd be drinking them instead - its that good.

I am a big fan of the malt flavor in beer, not an overwhelming amount but a nice strong sweet sense, especially when the beer brings a balanced bitter component with it. This beer hits the sweet spot in my taste buds for this balance. Even at 10% ABV I could drink this beer all night, I just might have to do it home.

I find the flavor to ring of mostly molasses with a bit of spice to it - I really can't tell you if that's a cinnamon or a clove or anything else but I think of this beer flavor as having hints of that fall spice motif but with a much stronger smokiness. It causes the sides of the back of my tongue to twinge a little, but the way a good hot sauce causes your mouth to burn just a little - you notice it but it does not dissuade your next sip.

4.87/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.85/5  rDev +16%

4.84/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Black as midnight. Brown foam, rises, froths, settles in, spreads out with a thin cover in the end. The yeast remains active with a bubbly center.

Roasty chocolate malt in the robust nose. Sour-green lager yeast and hops smell earthy and dry. Chocolate covered nuts, alcohol heat and marshmellows rounds out the nose. Mild peanutbutter and brown sugar aroma as it warms.

Let's start with mouthfeel, since it's the very first thing I noticed with the first sip:
Thick, lush and smoooth!! Full-on massive feel !! A crisp bite that just becomes as smooth and thick as possible. Wow.

The flavor is also marvelous. Balance, for one thing , is rather extraordinary and perfect for the style. A dry, green hop bite, followed by alcohol heat, warming and sharp is quickly dulled by the hefty chocolate and cream malty goodness. Heavy bakers chocolate and sweet cream, with its larger than life- style smoothness is off the charts. Bold, balanced and very interesting !

I love the Baltic Porter style, the answer to ale's imperial stout, the beastie lager is a worthy rival as perhaps the worlds most complex brew. Smuttynose blew my mind with it's 2008 version of the style, and the style tends to come and go, relatively rare but oh, what a treat!!

4.78/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A: Black with a tan head. Creamy head reminiscent of a nitro but dissipates quickly.
Smell: Rich chocolate malt with some roastiness and a slight vegetal/earthy background.
Taste: Creamy upfront, alcohol in the middle and a lingering roasty bitterness at the back. Thick moderately carbonated mouthfeel. Alcohol lingers in my cheeks and down my throat. Sweetness, alcohol and chocolate are the main flavors but balanced nicely between them.
Mouthfeel: Creamy yet carbonated with a heaviness to it and slightly syrupy (in a good way)
Overall: I heard my heart singing love, love, love. This beer solidified my love for Jacks Abby and sparked my interest in baltic porters. I'm a sucker for dark, strong beers and this is one of the best I've had. I'll have this with my last meal, please...right after a rochefort 8.

4.77/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

What else can be said. A must try for those who have and have not had a baltic porter. Certainly one the best I've tried. Wish I could find the barrel aged, too.

4.76/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Framinghammer Baltic Porter from Jack's Abby Brewing