Cascadian Schwarzbier | Jack's Abby Brewing

Jack's Abby Brewing
Massachusetts, United States
jacksabbybrewing.com

Style: Schwarzbier

This black lager combines a big roasted malt character with plentiful additions of aromatic hops. Magnum, Cascade, Columbus, Centennial and Cluster in the kettle, hopback and dry hop additions add a piney, resinous, light citrusy flavor and aroma. A bitter finish contrasts the full malty body.

Added by OtherShoe2 on 03-03-2012

4.33/5  rDev +7.2%

Picked this up on Cape Cod while on vacation. I was very intrigued and could not wait to get home to try this, very curious as to what an American hopped schwarzbier might taste like.

Since it's a schwarzbier, I poured this into a Kostritzer glass. On the pour it looked for all the world like a stout. Jet black with a humongous, rocky head with incredible retention and the ability to rise above the lip of the glass. to get the whole bottle into the glass took over five minutes as I waited for the head to recede.

If it wasn't for the fact that I knew this was a schwarzbier, and hence a lager, I would have guessed it to be a black IPA from the look and the smell. Roasts abound in the nose with some serious piny hops and just a hint of acidic sour. Where on earth did that come from?

As the foam enters your mouth you get the piny hops tickling the roof of your mouth with a nice bitterness and the liquid follows quickly behind and delivers the malt load: coffee and chocolate bring the sweet side of this wonderfully balanced beer. The finish is all pine tar, but the bitterness in the aftertaste doesn't overpower or overstay, deriving from the malts almost as much as from the hops.

Smooth and richly mouth-filling, but comes off a little lighter in feel due to an appropriate level of carbonation.

I'm seriously impressed with this creation. I was worried about the hops dominating and destroying the flavor components that make a schwarzbier and schwarzbier, but the brewmaster certainly knows how to employ just enough to get the best out of the hops without compromising the style's key notes.

4.33/5  rDev +7.2%

Fresh half liter bottle from brewery

A: beautiful big cardboard head, black as night. Huge rings of lacing, head lasts well.

S:
Smokey roasted chocolate malts, pine and citrus hops. Pretty pungent.
T: dark roasted malts mix of chocolate and coffee, some honey and caramel notes too. Has a large pinecone/herbal hop flavor. Definitely a lot of cascade. Some grapefruit and citrus too.

M: super creamy mouth feel. Abv well integrated.

O: really yummy beer. Could be considered a black ipa. Nice mix of black patent and citrus hops. A great beer by Jack abby. Not surprisingly.

4.3/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

A - Poured slowly into a .5L weizen glass. This dark brown/black beer produces a towering, creamy beige head that retains quite well and leaves great rings of lace up and down the sides of the glass.

S - I know that the label says "hoppy black lager" but I really didn't expect the waves of hop aroma that I got from this one. Blindfold me and I'll tell you that I've got a fresh IPA sitting in front of me. Just an ever so fait indicator of roasted malts.

T - Now the roasted character of this beer takes center stage, with the hops doing their thing in more of a supporting role. There is a bitterness that comes in at the end, but it is not sharp, nor does it take away from the roasted aspect.

M - Classic Jack's Abby. Velvety smooth and refreshing. Clean finish. Medium-bodied. Excellent.

O - The only prior experience that I have had with such a beer has been Wookie Jack, which I did not like. Perhaps I got an old one? Needless to say I was thrilled with the quality of this one. It was excellent and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to those who enjoy IPAs, Porters, or anything in between.

4.27/5  rDev +5.7%

Cascadian Schwarzbier pours black into the glass with a big, frothy light tan head on top. The foam fades slowly down to a thick sheet on the surface leaving behind some spots and lines of lace on the glass.

The aroma is a nice combination of hoppy pine and citrus notes blended with smoke, chocolate and roasted malt.

Each sip of this medium bodied beer is soft and watery on the palate with a mild carbonated fizz. The flavor is nicely balanced between roasted and chocolate malt, smoke and bitter hop flavors of pine and citrus. It finishes dry with lingering pine and roasted notes when gone.

A very tasty and fairly well balanced beer, however I found the body to be a little thin.

4.27/5  rDev +5.7%

Poured from a 0.5L bottle into a snifter.

Appearance: Beer pours an extremely dark brown, not quite black but very close. The pour into the snifter created three fingers of dense medium tan colored head. The head lingered for some time but didn't leave much lacing.

Smell: Sweet dark malts with piney, resinous hops. I'm also picking some dark coffee notes on the edges here. Very nice smelling beer.

Taste: Wow. The taste was not what I expected and this is a good thing. Dark roasted malts with big coffee and chocolate notes with a hint of smokiness. Finish is bitter and quite dry.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and mildly chewy. It's a little heavy for a lager in my opinion and at 7%, I'm probably not drinking more than one of this in a night.

Overall: Man, I think Jack's Abby is just killing it. I've had three of their beers and loved them all. This no exception...dark, roasty and hoppy. Very nice all around.

4.27/5  rDev +5.7%

Spilt a few bottles with some f riends

A- dark dark brown/back with a nice one finger slightly brownish head , not to much lacing, a nice lookin beer.

S- love it... Slightly roasted chocolate, almost a marshmallowy, a bit of smoke, an amazingly complex roasty/creamy aroma profile, I love it.

T- much like the nose but a little tones down from the aroma, a very nice, but not overly done rauching, with roasty chocolate, and a beautiful hop profile that works very nicley with the style.

M- creamy and smooth with a slight bitter hop finish... Very very well rounded, lower carbonation, velvety.

O- a great beer, i really love these beers, everything I've had from these guys have been impressive, and this is no exception.

4.27/5  rDev +5.7%

I have been waiting for a beer like this for a long time. This beer really combines the best aspects of a German Schwarzbier with an American hoppy (fill-in-the-blank).

Well balanced from start to finish, I was struck immediately by the aroma. When I popped the top, a strong piney smell wafted up to my nose. The nose is strong with pine forest, slight smoke, coffee, and citrus – the Cascade hops really shine through the nose.

Pouring a reddish-brown, dark (but not black), and a large head, the beer invites you in from the beginning. A wonderful taste follows: hoppy up front, evolving to a rich, roasted malt backbone, finishing again with a pleasant hoppy bitterness. And always balanced.

I think this is a great beer. And for the price ($3.99 for 16.9 oz), it can't be beat.

I'm looking forward to more from Jack's Abby. Congratulations!

Cascadian Schwarzbier from Jack's Abby Brewing