Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Pumpkin Crop Lager | Jack's Abby Brewing

Massachusetts, United States
jacksabbybrewing.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Availability: Fall

The 2012 harvest on our Mom & Pop’s farm was fruitful and this brew uses 100 fresh pumpkins and 40 organic squash. We prepared, cooked, and pureed all the gourds with the help of our friends at Carrie Anne’s Modern Diner. A blend of autumn spices adds to the intense pumpkin flavors. Uses locally grown Triticale from MA.

Added by jbertsch on 10-15-2012

3.85/5  rDev +1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.02/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

So uh, why hasn't anyone rated this beer in over a year? I ordered a case of it for the store and our salesman made it sound like it was a very low-production brew, but surely more people have tried it. Anyway, for "educational purposes," I had to give it a taste. There was a date of sorts on the bottle, but it smudged off as I reached for it in the fridge. Whatever, it's an October release, it's currently October, it's probably fresh.

Look: It starts with a 2+ finger fluffy off-white head that sits atop a dark amber body with just a hint of opacity. The head fades eventually to a thin ring around the glass and the slightest film.

Smell: Lots of marzen-esque malt and a hint of pumpkins/gourds, perhaps the tiniest bit of autumn spices?

Taste: Hey, this is pretty good! It sort-of tastes like a well-made Oktoberfest with the addition of pumpkins and pumpkin spice. On the subject of spice, there's a respectable amount here, which really opens up as the beer warms. Nothing overwhelming, but I'm getting some cinnamon and nutmeg; very fresh and natural tasting. Pumpkin is a pretty subtle flavor to add to a beer (hence the usual heavy-handed spices), but it's definitely a component here along with the malt and spices. If you're like me and find Pumking and Smashed Pumpkin too over-the-top, you'll love this.

Feel: Medium bodied with just the right amount of prickliness.

Overall: I never really considered myself a pumpkin beer guy, but maybe I was just drinking the wrong pumpkin beers? This is fantastic and I'll definitely be picking up more of this. I love that Jack's Abby sources their ingredients locally, especially in this case since the pumpkins are sourced in CT (where I am). Hopefully this catches on at the store, otherwise I'll just have to buy up the remaining stock come November. Highly recommended.

3.72/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.88/5  rDev +1.8%

3.84/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.44/5  rDev -9.7%

3.72/5  rDev -2.4%

3.25/5  rDev -14.7%

3.75/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.9/5  rDev +2.4%