The ABCS | Jack's Abby Brewing

jacksabbybrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Pilsner

Added by jbertsch on 03-29-2013

4.01/5  rDev -3.4%

The beer pours a clean golden yellow with some orange highlights. The beer also pours with a nice yellowing-white, two-finger’s width head of medium sized bubbles. Its body is super clear and clean, and a mellow torrent of bubbles can be seen constantly replenishing the head. The beer leaves a fat poofy cloud of lacing that forms a wall and a sideways mountain range of bubbles on one side of my glass. On the nose, the beer smells of spicy pine-citrus, with a nice bready malt backbone. Pine is the big player in the nose, and gives some lovely nuances, moving from dank to resinous. This is not the most pungent India pale lager I’ve smelled though. Kiwi Rising had much more tropical fruit in the nose, and a bigger pungency from the glass. Still, this beer smells hoppy and good, and it definitely features some complexity in the nose, which is very intriguing. On the tongue, the beer tastes beautifully bitter and dry. There is actually some huge sweetness from the malt and the hops, but that is quickly enveloped in a strong bitter resonance. The flavors begin as sweet citrus and stone fruit hops, moving into big bitters swiftly with a heavy swath of bitter pine while the sweetness of the malt and hops blend into an almost sweet, bread flavoring that sits slightly below cloying on the tongue. This is washed away by bitter aspirin, grapefruit, and resinous pine flavors with a touch of dry spicy bread malt. The finish is bittersweet, with grapefruit, stone fruit, and pine flavors playing with the light bread malts and citrus lemon flavors. The finish has a solid lasting power, and the aftertaste is of dry bitter bread with a touch of salt. In the mouth, the beer feels medium in body with a little bit of heaviness on the stomach. The carbonation is rough and prickly on the tongue, a touch too much in my opinion, and the mouth is left with a sticky dry scrim of spittle and a nice bitter reverberation in the mouth. This beer also feels a little syrupy on the tongue, which I’m not really sure about. Overall, this is a solid bitter beer. I don’t like it as much as I liked Kiwi Rising or Hoponius Union, but it is still a solid beer with a lot of complexity. The carbonation is a little fierce on the tongue, which is my one true complaint, but overall I think that helps to hold in check the sweetness of the malt, which is good. Another great lager from Jack’s Abby!

4.55/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Lovely pour, golden with a frothy pure white heard that leaves gorgeous lacing down my glass. Smell is tropical fruit from the hops, but not as intense as some DIPAs i've had. Taste is what I look for in west coast double IPA(L), just enough malt presence to know it's there, but mainly super clean hop flavor and bitterness. The mouthfeel is spot on as well, full without filling if that makes sense. Honestly reminiscent of PtE pints at Russian River. Very nice beer, world class in my opinion, JA has been killing it.

3.5/5  rDev -15.7%

1.47/5  rDev -64.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 1 | taste: 1 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 1.25

S: farty and huge amounts of ground oak leaves. Even if you just add good hops, you shouldn't get this flavor... (grasss, oak leaves, grass, grass, grass)

T: same deal. I don't get how JA released such a bad beer. In their defense, my fiend liked it.

apparent-ce: beautiful light brown, beautiful lacing.

Mouthfeel: I dunno, was too underwhelmed. Good MF actually

Overall: I LOVE, LOVE jacks abby beer. LOVE it. I hate to do this, but I couldn't handle this. I actuallly dumped my 4oz glasss. I literally traded 2 bud heavy for my last bottle

Again. JA makes the best beer in the area IMO, this was just fluke miss. I won't even describe what I traded it for,

Again, I love jacks abbey, they make insane good shit. But this was not my favorite... not evan close.

Edit: Think ground oak with no balance., like if you could extradt if you could get pine cone flavor.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

4.64/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A-Pours a crystal clear honeyed hue. Big, frothy crown. Head sits leasurely and laces generously.

S-A stiff jab of squished grapefruit, pine and tropical madness. A mixture of bright, vibrant hops and deep, resinous hops. Hops offer subliminal notes of apricot, peach and pineapple. Slight, lingering Lager yeastiness and some cracker.

T-Wet, tropical fruits. The hops are concentrated and deep but maintain much complexity. All those exotic fruits and citrus notes are quickly bear hugged by a strong, gripping, piney finish. Mild sweetness...errr...let's just say its fully hop forward.

M-Super dry. Super bitter. Super drinkable. Killer.

O/D-Another, another, another, another Jack's Abby gem! Better than 95% on any DIPAs I can easily get. Let's not mention its a damn lager. Unbelievable.

3.5/5  rDev -15.7%

4.46/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Side of the label reads "MFG 03.28.2"

A: Golden-yellow with a big, fluffy, frothy, white head. A bit of haze because I let some of the sediment into the glass. Give it a swirl and the head explodes into fizzy, white bubbles that burst with hop aromas. There's a really cool cloudiness that forms right before the head builds, too. Very interesting appearance.

S: Huuuge tropical fruits, resin, and fruity hops.

T: As expected...big, delicious, fruity, sticky, resiny hops. Like seriously massive hops. Everything you want in a hoppy beer but with the finish and cleanliness of a lager.

M: Hop-splosion. Pretty dry but juicy and fruity at the same time. Such a joy to drink.

O: Another smooth, silky, hop bomb from Jack's Abby. A little more dry and in your face compared to Kiwi Rising but they're two very different beers. I had high expectations for this beer and I finished the bottle very satisfied.

4.32/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Picked up today at brewery, 2 days old, fresh to death.

A: pours a big frothy white head, slightly hazy golden hue. Leaves some chunks of lacing.

S: passion fruit, pineapple, pine you, fruity pungent. Has a certain dankness too.

T: taste is more grapefruit and piney. I also get some herbal lemon grass, tangerines and kiwi. A punch of bitterness followed by a hit of caramel malts. Finishes with a bitter tropical hop flavor. Pretty big flavors. Overall a mix of herbal, piney, and citrus, pretty bitter but not obnoxious.

M: very high carbonation, very soft and creamy mouth feel, pleasant.

O: really awesome beer, I've had a few better dipas, but not many. Drinks like an ale, with big flavors, nose was great, I'd prefer more tropical taste, nose was right on. Definitely worth getting.

The ABCS from Jack's Abby Brewing