Empire Imperial Stout | Cutters Brewing Company

cuttersbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by jmarsh123 on 10-06-2011

4.76/5  rDev +21.7%

Picked up a bottle on the recommendation of a store employee. Honestly not expecting much from the upstart Bloomington brewery. Boy was I wrong.

A - pours pitch black with a gorgeous one finger mocha head. Beautiful looking stout.

S - Chocolates, Molasses, and a hint of Coffee. Very subtle.

T - The nose betrays the taste. This beer is unbelievably complex. Huge chocolate and molasses flavors up front followed by dark fruits and roasted malts. A crisp hop finish helps mellow out the subtle coffee on the back end. A whole lot going on here. Mouth feel is delightful. Nice and thick. Not as boozy as I was expecting for a beer with a double digit ABV.

Without a doubt one of the best imperial stouts I've ever had. Not expecting this at all. Empire is not to be overlooked. This one can contend with the big boys.

4.75/5  rDev +21.5%

4.5/5  rDev +15.1%

Purchased at Sahara Mart in a bomber, we brought this back and shared it with one of our fellow beer freaks, Jarrod =)

A dark black/brown brew with a light tan head - a very lovely chocolate-toasted scent. No alcohol 'nose' to this at all to my nasal-palate.

The taste. I'm such a major malt head, but I usually shy away from Imperial Stouts due to a usually very intense alcohol 'bite'. My cheese can bite me back, my sour beers can nip at my tongue, but I like my stouts less challenging.

If all Imperial stouts were like this one, I'd drink them more often. =) Beautiful rich milky mouth feel, bitter chocolate to a sweet oat afterglow. Lovely, and warming - without being over 'alcoholly' in the aftertaste.

4.43/5  rDev +13.3%

On tap at Yogis. I've had this out of a bottle as well.

Pours thick and black with a tan sturdy head, as a big stout should. The nose is full of roast and chocolate, very nice. Taste is complex. Definitely on the bitter roasty side, but with a nice chocolatey sweet molasses quality. Finishes with lingering bitter chocolate. Mouthfeel is thick and coating with lower carbonation which works very nicely.

Overall I was very impressed with this imperial stout from Bloomington's newest tiny brewery. This could actually stand up to a lot of big name stouts. The only downfall is the high price tag at this point, but that aside... a very high quality beer that I will gladly have again if given the chance.

4.27/5  rDev +9.2%

Actually changing my review of this entirely.

I purchased this over a year ago because they were $3.99 for 4. Naturally, I bought a case. Regardless, several of the 4 packs went into the cellar because initially they weren't all that great. Overly alcoholic and bitter, sweet and hoppy. I've recently revisited them after having one 6 months ago that was a bit better and now, they are phenomenal. It is billed as an American Imperial but it has so many qualities of a Russian. If the year old cellared version of this beer was readily available I would make this my staple. Can stack up with the best of them, seriously.

Buy this beer, enjoy one fresh, then wait about 8-12 months and enjoy the shit out of them. Cutter is onto something here!

Turn it into a Russian and maybe add a bourbon barrel version and this could be something fantastic.

4.16/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.13/5  rDev +5.6%

Pours an opaque black with almost no head. A bit of lacing down the glass.

Smells heavily of chocolate with a little bit of sweetness from the molasses I'm presuming. Not a whole lot of complexity in the nose, but nothing bad here either.

Very thick and syrupy initial sweetness rounding into a profile heavily featuring roasty malts. Very chocolately throughout with a little bit of a coffee/roast finish along with a little bit of booze. Good balance between the roast and malt overall.

Nice and creamy. Carbonation level is a tad high for the style, but not a detriment. Medium-thick without being cloying. Alcohol burn is slightly present, but pretty well masked for the ABV.

I haven't especially liked anything from this brewery before, but I can say this is a very solid beer. Not world class, but a very good smooth and creamy stout I'd be happy to drink anytime I'm the mood for something heavier. The price point is a bit high for a new brewery trying to establish itself, but this a flagship beer so get these out to the masses.

4.13/5  rDev +5.6%

4.11/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

12 ounce bottle. Served in a snifter, the beer pours very dark brown/black with maybe a half inch tan head that fizzled away quickly. However, there is a good amount of lacing. Aroma is nice, the brew smells like roasted malt, molasses, espresso, and bittersweet chocolate. The taste is sweeter than I expected since the aroma was more roasty and bitter, it tastes like molasses, roasted malt, bittersweet chocolate, caramel, dark fruit and espresso. There's a slight roasty bitter coffee finish, but the sweet flavors linger around longer. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's a bit coating and creamy with low carbonation. I liked this brew a lot, I wouldn't mind picking up another bottle of this and also trying some of Cutters other brews at some point.

4.06/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Cutters just announced that they were closing down their operation immediately and I still hadn't tried this beer from them. I had to scourer liquor stores looking for the last of this Imperial Stout.

A - Pours very dark brown and settles into a clear black color. Mild tan colored head with light lacing.

S - First aroma I get is from the molasses. I've brewed several beers with it and molasses gives stouts this signature smell that I enjoy. The strong roasty aroma is also there with chocolate and some coffee. There is also an alcohol smell but seems to blend into the fermented molasses aromas.

T - Initially has the roasted malt character from the smell first. The secondary flavors are the molasses, dark chocolate, and dark roasted coffee flavors blended together. It has some subtle complexities with some acrid bitterness to let you know it is a stout and not a sweeter porter.

M - Full mouth-feel. Light carbonation. The flavors only linger for little while and the bitterness and the ABV quench the sweetness. A little more carbonation would be helpful but the beer isn't the thickest so it isn't bad.

Overall, this is a very good imperial stout. This is not the best RIS I've had but it does have that more novel molasses flavor that I really enjoyed. I am surprised that the brewery couldn't keep it up so I bid this beer a good bye and I hope that next time you try a stout homebrew to add some molasses to the end of the boil to get that signature flavor.

Glass- Snifter

4.05/5  rDev +3.6%

Poured from 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: dense black body with some dark brown highlights around the edges. Head is a finger of creamy tan foam with a nice lace left on the glass as it dissipates. Attractive!

Smell: rich, malty aroma with hints of dates and a bit of chocolate. I feel like it is a little low in intensity, but the composition, while not especially complex for the style, really appeals to me. Quite dessert-ey.

Taste: roasty up-front with a pretty mild flavor profile, considering its alcoholic strength. It is smooth and rested, and not hot at all, which I really like. Some of that nice date character remains, and it finishes a little bit sharp, but overall it's quite sweet and mild. I think it has a great flavor composition, but I would love a little more oomph.

Mouthfeel: hugely rich body with a good level of carbonation and a super silky smooth creaminess. I love it!

Overall: this is a good beer; one which is especially smooth for its ABV. It's not strongly flavored for the style, but it is so well-rounded, balanced and clean that this can be overlooked.

Empire Imperial Stout from Cutters Brewing Company