Floyd's Folly Scottish Ale | Cutters Brewing Company

Added by langm12 on 10-21-2011

3.9

3.5/5  rDev -10.3%

3.51/5  rDev -10%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Microbrewer in Avion, Indiana let's give it a go!!! Pours almost blood orange crimson brown, definite ruby highlights when held toward the light. Aroma has some dirty malt, just a touch of Wheaties mixed with hints of cardboard box, added to that is some cooling fresh baked browines. A slight underlying dark plum juiciness exceeds out of the complexity of this 8% Scottish Ale. Heavy cereal grains, layered dark chocolate, quite a messy malt driven complexity with more wet cardboard and uneven lost in translation carbonation carrying it across the palate. A very rough abrasive beer, I hate to say that but that's what I'm getting thus far. It goes from smooth roasty to acrid acidic with a linger wet cardboard off putting note that I can't erase from my memory. Overall the harsh mouthfeel weak carbonation isn't expressive of the whole picture, there's a good beer somewhere here, preserve what you have and get through the rough patches of starting a brewery in 2010 not the best beer yet, but there's potential in the glass.

4.25/5  rDev +9%

3.94/5  rDev +1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass

A: clear dark amber with a one inch off white head that slowly dissipates leaving a nice amount of lacing.

S: Caramel and something fruity maybe raisin. Also a bit leathery.

T: Roasted malts, caramel and vanilla.

M: Oily texture and litte carbonation.

O: I'm usually not big on scottish style ales but this one has me rethinking those feelings. Its a solid brew, more balanced than I'm used to finding in this style. Its not at the very top of my list but really quite a nice combination of flavors and very drinkable.

2.5/5  rDev -35.9%

4.25/5  rDev +9%

2.5/5  rDev -35.9%

4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

3.5/5  rDev -10.3%

3.55/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

slow poured from bottle at 34 degrees with little to no head. Deep mahogany color, transparent and not cloudy.

smells sweet - can't put my finger on it - brown sugar or very ripe oranges or something food like and sweet.

Taste has a heavy odd bitterness I don't care for, sort of tar or nail polish or hair spray like.... ...not that I've consumed any of those, I'm just imagining... Other than that there are many good flavors... ..cantaloupe?.... ...some sort of dark sweet flavors and spices I again cannot place. Maybe nutmeg and pepper.

The mouthfeel is very good, that head that wasn't wasted on the top was saved inside of the beverage, making the sips very appealing.

The body of this brew is fairly decent, I like more hefty beers and this is supplying just enough heftiness.

Overall this is a good brew. Different. They did a good job of picking various flavors to bring out a unique beverage, which is becoming so difficult to do among the many many competitors. Recommended? I'm not sure. I guess it depends. it would be a great "I want to go out on a limb and try something different, and I'm in a store with this right in front of me" brew. I don't think I'd go looking for it, and I don't think it would be the end-all "I'm looking for a great scotch ale, this may be it" choice.

Floyd's Folly Scottish Ale from Cutters Brewing Company