Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Glutenberg Blonde Ale | Brasseurs Sans Gluten

Added by papat444 on 08-01-2011

2.51/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

2.31/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

3.06/5  rDev +2.3%

2.25/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

2.99/5  rDev 0%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a light yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of lemons, green apples. Taste is green apples, lemons, hints of plastic, none of the sharp sorghum I was expecting. Feels medium/light bodied in the mouth and overall, no, I don't want another, but not bad for a gluten free beer.

2.87/5  rDev -4%

I have been meaning to get at my remaining gluten-free beers for some time and with today being another installment of New Beer Sunday, I am making mine New Gluten-Free Beer Sunday. I picked up a mixed 4-pack of Glutenberg CANs in support of The CANQuest (tm) during my most recent New England foray and I am curious to give them a whirl.

From the CAN: "100% Gluten Free - 100% Great Beer"; "World Beer Cup Bronze Award 2012 Winner Gluten-Free Beer Category".

The CAN actually fought me a little on the Crack!, which is okay since I do not mind a ChANllenge, but it tends to make me want to do an inverted Glug. This was a 16-fl. oz. CAN, which gave me pause, but I carried on with an inveted Glug all the same. The fizzy, foamy, rocky, bone-white head looked like what you would see from pop, like Sprite or 7-Up and disappeared as quickly as it had appeared. Color was Pale-Straw (SRM = 1 - 2) with NE-plus quality clarity. Blonde? Nordic! Nose had a plastic-like sharpness, different from many of the G-F beers that I have reviewed up to now. I realize that the ingredients impart a sharpness, but this was both unusual and remarkable. Mouthfeel was thin and watery, nothing impressive. The taste was actually rather palatable. It had a light sweetness, kind of corn-like, but without the extreme sharpness of sorghum. This might be an opportune moment to review the ingredients: "Water, Millet, Corn, Demerara Sugar, Hops, Yeast." Very intriguing. The Demerara Sugar seemed to be giving it a slight treacle-like bitterness, but much lighter than what I generally get in the sorghum-based G-F beers. Finish was semi-dry with a light sweetness offsetting the light sour sharpness. I feel like this one is G-F beer with training wheels, so I would caution people who do not have to drink this type of thing to avoid others in the style if you do not like this one. It CAN be and is worse in some cases. Just sayin'. Caveat emptor, in other words.

3.04/5  rDev +1.7%

there no head in this beer pour a dark yellow very nice color taste not to bad glad I tried it but wont seek it out again

3.02/5  rDev +1%

2.28/5  rDev -23.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

3.22/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

473 mL can from the LCBO; best before Dec 2016 and served slightly chilled.

Pours a pale straw yellow colour with exquisite clarity (which makes the floaties easy to see). One finger of loose, soapy white head is both created and then destroyed within the first sixty seconds or so; a modest collar remains, but that's about it. Smells a little odd, but not particularly vegetal or off-putting, which puts it ahead of a lot of GF beers in that category. I'm getting white grape, pear and apple, with some cereal grain sweetness and a weird grassy, herbal note.

Surprisingly approachable taste; cereal grain, corn husk and light sugar sweetness serve as a backdrop, along with more of those pear and white grape notes from the nose. Grass, lemon and herbal spice on the back end, followed by that weird vegetal note that I find in most of these GF beers - thankfully it's not very pronounced in this one. Light in body, with average carbonation levels that soften up quickly as you make your way into the glass. Not all that great, but easy enough to drink.

Final Grade: 3.22, a C+. Stop me if I'm starting to sound like a broken record here - but while most gluten-free beers manage to make me regret the purchase, Glutenberg is actually a pretty tolerable example of one. I could drink this again if I really had to, but being quite gluten-tolerant myself there is no real reason to do so. One of the better GF beers I've sampled for sure, but I'm not the target audience so I probably won't be drinking this again unless it is randomly handed to me. Good, but only relatively speaking.

2.65/5  rDev -11.4%

1.46/5  rDev -51.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

Served from the can in a Trooper shaker pint glass.

Beginning a mixed pack of these Canuckleheaded gluten-free stuff with the basic blonde. It pours a hazy-seeming straw topped by barely a whisper of suds. The nose comprises sharply-tart lemon juice and whiskey mash (sans the booze, mind you), basically leaving me with a sense of citrus-laden corn stuffs. The taste brings in more of the same, the harsh sourness mixing with an odd bitterness that creates a pretty damn foul flavor combination on my tongue. The body is a light medium, with hardly any carbonation and a waxy feel. Overall, this was downright awful. I wasn't expecting a lack of carbonation, much less the sourness; here's hoping the other 3 offerings in this pack turn out more positively.

2.22/5  rDev -25.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

2.83/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.75

2.58/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.64/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Not bad for being gluten free. Tastes sort of like an IPA. it was a sweet and citrusy beer, with a gold scent.

2.48/5  rDev -17.1%

Hoppy Beer with weak yellow look and aroma. Very bitter.

3.7/5  rDev +23.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

This beer is bubbly and golden/straw colored. Smells fresh with some hints of pear. It was smooth, the carbonation was noticeable, and there was some malt. Not the worst I have had, not the best either.

2.87/5  rDev -4%

The color of this beer is a medium yellow. The aroma you get is a slightly herb and spice smell and it is weak. Tasting this beer is another story at first it is bitter and sour with an after taste that is not all that pleasant.

3.6/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pretty good taste with hop scent.
a little bit pineapple flavor for after taste.

Glutenberg Blonde Ale from Brasseurs Sans Gluten