Warka Premium (Strong) | Browary Warka Sp. z o.o.

Warka Premium (Strong)Warka Premium (Strong)
3.35/5
Okay
Warka Premium (Strong)Warka Premium (Strong)

Browary Warka Sp. z o.o.
Poland
warka.com.pl

Style: Euro Strong Lager

Added by TastyTaste on 06-08-2005

View: Beers
2.13/5  rDev -36.4%

My can displays 6.5% ABV, not 7%.

A: Poured from a can into a Hoegaarden pint glass in low altitude Galway, Ireland, on December 8th, 2010. Pours a clear gold with a three finger head of mild thickness - which retains decently. Of mild appeal.

Sm: An extremely light smell of standard barley, but it's barely detectable to my broken nose. That said, it's not a bad smell, just a lightly pronounced and generic one.

T: Hmm. Opening is standard, but the rest... It's a very bold beer for this style. Notes of sweet toffee (in a lager!?), off-cream, and a crisp finish. There are a couple secondary hints of flavours I can't place and won't pretend to. The alcohol comes out in the finish, which is jarring. I don't particularly like what they're trying to do, but it should be said that it isn't generic. I appreciate beers that cross boundaries - I just don't care for this one. I'd like to hear from people whose palate is better than mine about which flavours are present in this beer, because they're very familiar but difficult to separate.

Mf: Too wet. Too smooth. The finish is nicely crisp, yet inconsistent.

Dr: Not going to buy it again. It is an interesting take on the style, and is fairly high ABV (relatively speaking), but it doesn't appeal to me.

3.61/5  rDev +7.8%

The labelling on the can is confusing, unless this Browary Warka has been taken over by Zywiec Brewery Group recently?

The can says 'Warka 1478 Strong' 6.5% alc and below Dwuslodowy (whatever that means!) but labeling at the side says 'Grupa Zywiec'

Beer poured bronze coloured, and a lively head to start, which quickly disappeared. Aroma mainly of sweet malts, slightly roasted and fruity. The flavours matched this, initially fairly sweet, with hints of dried fruit and caramel - just a little bite at the back from the 6.5% alc, and a rounded smooth texture, though no real hop flavours. I thought this an enjoyable drink - especially at the price - and whilst not great on character or depth, a decent beer to savour. Not a session beer for me, but would certainly enjoy it again.

JohnW
B'ham UK Dec 2010

3.7/5  rDev +10.4%

500ml bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: nice amber color, head last for all of two seconds after pouring, just leaving a thing layer of bubbles across the top.

S: Smells like malts, a bit of alcohol kick.

T: Aside from the initial potent taste of alcohol, its nice and sweet just the right amount of malt in this brew, very pleasing on the tongue as the taste fades away to a faint honey like nothingness. I am very pleased at the taste for a mere two dollars a bottle.

M: The mouthfeel follows the same formula as the taste, after the initial alcohol shock it becomes very smooth and creamy.

D: Very easy to drink, goes down nice and smooth, despite the alcohol taste and content it drinks like a session beer.

For the price this beer is worth a try. This is my first time reviewing it, I usually drink this beer after a heavy hitting barleywine, it makes for a nice change of pace and goes great with any kind of beef.

2.56/5  rDev -23.6%

Pours an amber color with one finger of fluffy head that fades with minimal lacing. The aroma is a mix of nutty and green hops and sweet grain/adjunct. The taste starts out pretty thin, but then builds into a creamy, strangely sweet end. Its a bit on the flat side, which exasperates the sweetness, which almost reminds me of honey. Finish is slightly lingering, will some mild bitterness coming through and the body is medium. The bottle does a good job of describing this one - it says ' Beer Unique Taste' around the top and I'd have to agree.

2.45/5  rDev -26.9%

Appearance: Bronze coloured body, with brassy highlights. This beer started out with a solid finger and a half of head, but it didn't stick around nor lace. Very nice clarity but lacking in body carbonation.

Smell: Very plain caramel malt, and that's it. Warming didn't really help it's case either, which is a bit of a shame. Pretty much average in both nose and potency.

Taste: Very malty, which is to be expected but it comes off as a bit too bread-like and seemingly unroasted. Starts with a healthy kick of sweet caramel malt that quickly turns to a bitter kick of alcohol that is not well hidden at all. I've had worse, and I want to grade it lower but it is clearly labelled a strong beer.

Mouthfeel: The carbonation became completely absent at the 3/4 full mark. The change in flavor between sweet malt and solvent alcohol I think could have been handled a bit better too. Then again, I don't really want to taste solvent alcohol. On the plus side, nothing but a mild caramel aftertaste the quickly departs but it's not enough to make up for it's flaws.

Drinkability: Well it is light in the body for a strong beer, but this is one of those beers whose high alcohol content hurts it's case. I wouldn't look to grab this on a hot day and while the absent carbonation might appeal to some, I'm just not a fan of flat beer.

Final Thoughts: When I drink this, I'm perplexed. It honestly tastes like I'm drinking a high class malt liquor, which then begs the question, if you are drinking malt liquor are you really looking for something high class? I wouldn't pick up this beer again, but I'll give it one thing. I was honestly expecting it to fare a lot worse.

3.06/5  rDev -8.7%

A: Pours a deep gold into a glass with a nice thick, long-lasting head. Head leaves some lacing.

S: Slightly grainy with overtones of adjuncts and sweetness. A slight alcohol presence is also there.

T: A bit of sweetness, some malty flavor, a slight alcohol sting and a little bit of hops.

M: A bit thin but not bad

D: I would drink this again.

I bought a single 16.9 bottle just to try something new. It had a much darker color than I expected. I also was not aware of this beers strength. It sure does pack a punch at 7 percent. There is a strong aftertaste that lingers on the tongue. The consistency of this beer is good for a session, but not at 7 percent. Just an average beer.

2.06/5  rDev -38.5%

Bottle: Poured a deep golden color lager with a medium bubbly head with minimal retention and light lacing. Aroma of adjunct is kind of gross with loads of residual sugar. Taste is also dominated by adjunct and sugar which does not make for an interesting drink. Body is quite full with an oily feel and medium carbonation. Light notes of fusel alcohol are perceptible. I don't see myself drinking this again in the near future.

3.31/5  rDev -1.2%

Pours a clear dark amber with a small white head that leaves a little lacing.

Smell is weak sweet malts.

Taste is sweet and malty, sweeter than it smells.

Mouthfeel is average, not too much carbonation.

Not a bad beer, but a little too sweet to drink too much of.

3.28/5  rDev -2.1%

Had to pour a bit aggressively to get a head on this one, but it looked really good immediately after the pour...dark amber with two fingers of head and copious bubbles rising slowly throughout. The bubbles were mid-sized, and the slowness suggested a certain amount of viscosity to the beer...looked like thin carbonated maple syrup with foam on top. Head died back pretty quickly though, leaving a light film and no lacing on the glass.

Smell is muted, sweet malts mostly

Taste is quite malty and even sweeter than it smells. There's some mild licorice or something, not terribly unpleasant, but not particularly pleasing either. It's okay, I guess, but maybe it's just not my thing. Is it the colour or does it taste a wee bit like sweetened iced tea without lemon? Just a bit...not entirely of course, but hrmmm...not my favourite. If anything, there's a tanginess in there that rescues the beer, to my thinking.

Mouthfeel is good...I like the full viscous feeling and the balance of the carbonation. It's a sure-footed beer that way somehow.

Drinkability...well, it's a bit sticky and likely too sweet to drink too much of this.

Overall, it's fine, but I don't think I'd go looking for it. I've tried a couple others of this style, and I'd have to say it's significantly better than average, but maybe the style just isn't much to write home about.

3.43/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured from a brown 16.9 oz. bottle. Has a caramel color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of malts, some alcohol. Taste is of malts, caramel, some alcohol, slightly sweet. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and has average drinkability. Overall this is a good quality beer.

3.36/5  rDev +0.3%

.5L emptied into a Pokal.

A: Pours a tea-like dark copper with a globulous, fluffy 2-finger light tan head which quickly receeds to a thick ring. No lacing.

S: Sweet barley malt, toffee, caramel, some grain. Hops are hidden in there somewhere.

M: Light-to-medium body with decent carbonation.

T: Sweet malt dominates, almost overwhelms. Hops provide some spice along the fringes, but never really make their presence known. Caramel, toffee and cane sugar molasses emerge through the midrange, finishing with a rather persistent vanilla aftertaste.

D: While the alcohol would certainly load up after a few of these, I'm afraid the overwhelming sweetness would get me well before then. This is a smooth, quality strong lager that was a good pick from my local Polish supermarket. I just wish it had more of a hop profile.

3.47/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a clear amber with a bit of dense white head. What head there is almost entirely dissipates fairly quickly, so there's basically no lacing.

S: Fairly subtle, sweet malt with a touch of alcohol warmth.

T: Mild grainy sweetness, finishing somewhat dry. The alcohol is pretty subtle. Kind of tastes like an imperial euro pale lager, which I suppose is more or less what it claims to be.

M: Medium prickly carbonation, medium body, slightly chewy finish.

D: Drinks reasonably easy, though it is a bit high on the ABV side (higher than it tastes).

3.8/5  rDev +13.4%

I kept passing this one up at the LCBO, I'm not sure why. Figured some good strong beers would help me through this damned snowstorm.

Pours a dark golden, almost amber hue, with about 1/3 inch of white head. A few scattered flakes of lacing, and a thin head survived the first few minutes. Not bad.

The smell is malty and sweet, with a note of butterscotch or caramel.

The taste is flavorful and surprisingly smooth for a 7%er. Malty with a bit of dark fruit, licorice and caramel. Filling and rich, but almost too sweet for my tastes. A slight tin flavour to the finish, but other than that a solid brew.

One of the better Polish beers I've encountered at the LCBO. Nothing to get too excited about, but still a fine effort. I'll probably pick up another bottle or two to get me through this wintry week...

3.03/5  rDev -9.6%

A - Light amber with a decent sized foamy white head. Good retention and a decent lacing.

S - Sweet and tangy malt with a slight grainy corn. Some floral hops. Slight skunky and ammonia smell.

T - Tangy caramel malt is the base. Some nutty flavors. Also a bit of apple taste. On top of that is a bit of floral hops. A little bit of spice and alcohol. Also a bit of skunk/ammonia flavor. Taste kind of like a malt liquor.

M - Light to medium body with a good amount of carbonation. Slightly sticky feel.

D - Not bad drinkability. Taste is not really appealing, but not offensive. Sticks on your tongue. Goes down fairly simple.

Notes: Seems kind of like a Polish malt liquor. Flavors just don't quite work for me, but they grew on me a bit. I'm not entirely sure why, but they are just a little off to me.

3.7/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From the 500 ml. bottle that does have a "best by" date but it is unreadable. Sampled on February 22, 2010. The pour is actually kind of copper-amber with beautiful clarity but virtually no head to speak of. The aroma is malty with a bit of licorice and a vague dash of hops. The mouthfeel is fairly smooth. The taste is sweet, well-malted and has a nice toasted bread backdrop. There is also a hard liquor feel to it as well like bourbon. It was a strong ale that did a yeoman's job hiding the 7% ABV.

2.78/5  rDev -17%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Looks great. Darker then I would expect, slightly reddish yellow. More copper than gold.

S - Not much, but some light malty sweetness.

T- Starts out with not much, moves on to some sharp malt flavors, moves to a little bit of hopiness, and then is all but gone.

M - Light, leaves my mouth slightly watery.

D - Meh, I've had worse, but I wouldn't track this beer down.

3.5/5  rDev +4.5%

First off, the picture of the beer should be changed because it has long since changed to a new label. I saw Warka Strong at work, Wines Unlimited of Stratford CT, and noticed many of our European and especially Polish customers would purchase this item like hot cakes. While many of our other imports would be at a stand still this beer remained supreme. This encouraged me to at least try it, of course. When I first drank this beer I was very impressed by how smooth it was for a beer at 7%. It was a light amber color, plentiful taste of semi sweet characteristics that weren't overwhelming. Warka Strong is a delicious beer, and has a nice firm but subtle finish that doesn't linger a nasty hop-full mouth. After having this beer, I researched it, and have gathered the following: Warka Strong is a Polish Beer, from Zywiec Group, also available in a lower AVB, and is paired well with Polish pastries that include blueberries, and also buttered toasts. However, the beer is good by itself. Nothing to scream about, but impressive. This beer is available to our store through a small distributor called Amtec, in Fairfield County in Connecticut that has an all Polish Beer portfolio.

3.84/5  rDev +14.6%

11.2 ounce bottle. I hate when the imports jip me of that .8 of an ounce. The "best before date" is six months from now. Golden bronze color with a short-lived head and good clarity. Occasional bubbles stream to the surface. The aroma is better than what I'm used to in strong lagers. There's a welcomed absence of that alcohol/chemical scent. I only detect sweet carmel maltyness and grain. Good texture and it leaves that sticky sweet film on your teeth. Sweet malt flavor with a little carmel and perhaps a tiny trace of honey. Starts off easy and gets heavy towards the end in terms of drinkability. Pretty filling. Good beer.

3.65/5  rDev +9%

500ml bottle poured into pint glass dec16 2009

A clear bronze with bubbles popping up from everywhere, a fast falling fingers worth of head left no lace

S a malty sweetness that's fairly unique and hard to place

T quite sweet with a little citrus and some bread

M thick enough to please, almost a little syrupy pretty good for a lager

D the 7% is well concealed and when all's said and done I had few problems with this beer

I got a little more then expected while drinking this one and that's never a bad thing.

3.53/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

500ml bottle, 6.5% ABV. "Beer Unique Taste" - all righty then. Strong like bull, no?

This beer pours a clear medium copper amber hue, with two fingers of creamy, puffy, and latently bubbly white head, which settles slowly, leaving some more or less consistent water spout lace around the glass.

It smells of warm bready cereals, grainy pale and caramel malt, a touch of dried honey, mild leafy and grassy noble hops, and a suggestion of hot alcohol. The taste is semi-sweet, grainy caramel malt, a slight buttered toastiness, ethereal field honey, soft weedy, earthy hops, and a hint of warming alcohol.

The carbonation is fairly understated, just a wee frothiness flitting about, the body so-so smooth, a bit slick, warm, and sporting a heady medium weight. It finishes off-dry, the sweet, bready, and somewhat caramelized graininess lazily lingering.

While just a wee bit one-sided, this is an enjoyable and drinkable enough strong Euro lager, without any of the bitter edge or skunkiness I've come to expect from its forebears around here. The alcohol that begets the 'strong' denomination is noticeable, sure, but pretty well integrated, for the most part.

4.07/5  rDev +21.5%

Warka strong beer is a medium amber in color with a modest, off white head that didn't last. The aroma is malty sweet, caramel-like. The taste closely follows aroma, sweet caramel candy, no bitterness. The feel is medium bodied with minimal carbonation. Drinkability is very good.

This Polish lager tastes a wee bit like a Scottish ale to me. Quite enjoyable, I believe I will head back to the shop I got this and look for a sixer.

3.72/5  rDev +11%

Best before 6/14/09 so it is a little past its prime.

A - Golden amber with a thin head that quickly settles to a few strands of lace.

S - Slightly sweet and malty with pilsner and adjunct malts. Slightly grainy with a touch of caramel.

T - Somewhat sweet with grainy malts, caramel, a touch of spicy hops and lingering adjunct malts.

M - Feels under carbonated which is surprising for all the bubbles rushing to the top of the glass. Medium mouthfeel with a lingering sweetness.

D - Better on the colder side as the adjuncts come out a little more as it warms but I was still pleasantly surprised.

3.03/5  rDev -9.6%

500ml bottle poured into a pint glass.

A - Poured a deep gold / light amber color with a 1" head that was gone quickly. Very little lacing.

S - Sweet & mildly fruity.

T - Sweetness upfront with a hint of citrus and a very mild bite of bitterness.

M - Average carbonation. A little sticky. The lack of a bitter aftertaste helps to hide the 7%ABV.

D - Drinkable yes but I find it's lacking some flavor.

2.93/5  rDev -12.5%

This beer pours a pale golden colour with nice carbonation that leaves a one finger head with average lacing,the first aroma i get is straight out malty honey not much else gets thru,it has an average mouthfeel with a honeyish,malty weak hop taste to it which finishes pretty smooth,this is definately i beer that im glad ive tried but wont go out of my way for it again.

Warka Premium (Strong) from Browary Warka Sp. z o.o.