Warka | Browary Warka Sp. z o.o.

WarkaWarka

Browary Warka Sp. z o.o.
Poland
warka.com.pl

Style: Euro Pale Lager

Added by jackndan on 10-20-2002

4.3/5  rDev +34.8%

Malty nose, smells somewhat like a golden graham cereal. Almost tastes like a graham cracker sort of a lightly sweet, syrupy, and grainy flavor. The deep straw gold color with a steady stream of carbonation throughout begs to say "drink me'. Not quite enough hops for me, but has the sticky sweet finish and nice mouthfeel most real beer drinkers talk about. Perfectly drinkable, and, surprisingly to me, a dangerously enjoyable beer.

4.28/5  rDev +34.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev +33.2%

An O-Fest from Poland? You know, that's what I love about beer... it never fails to surprise me.

A - This is a dark, but perfectly clear, orange-bronze and is capped with a fluffy two finger head that rose up with a nitro-like cascade effect. Thick sheets of really solid lace slide down the glass and leave some crust behind. Nice!

S - Carrot cake and caramel malt with a hint of cinnamon and spice. In fact, this reminds me of those carrot cake flavored and white hard icing-topped ding-dong things that you can get in bowling alley vending machines.

T - Wow! This is a surprisingly forceful and very sweet flavor attack! This is like a dark over-ripe fruit laden Baltic Porter mixed with the spice cake notes of an "Imperial Oktoberfest" if such a thing exists. This tastes and feels much more boozy than it's meager 5.6%, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. In fact, that big body and dense sweetness works to this one's favor. Seriously, this is complex, sweet, uber-malty, and tasty as hell.

M - Full bodied, dextrin-y, solid, dense, massive, and muscular. This is one helluva beer. Finishes neutral with a "spice-cake drenched in molasses" note lingering after the swallow.

D - Just this morning I was brewing up a batch of pale ale homebrew, and I happened to sample the malt extract raw after I got all I could out of the can, and this tastes a lot like that raw malty sweet and bran-y flavor. I opened this brew expecting some sort of Polish version of a Euro-Lager and instead I was amazed to be treated to one of the best Oktoberfests I've ever had, and that's saying a lot since I've had quite a few and it's one of my favorite styles! An outstanding O-Fest ... from Poland! Who would've thunk?

4.25/5  rDev +33.2%

Presentation: It was poured from 500ml can into a mug. There is a freshness date of 04-15-2011 printed on the bottom of the can and the ABV is listed as 5.7%.

Appearance: Its body has a golden yellow color with excellent clarity and lots of visible carbonation. Its head builds up to about a two finger tall creamy just off white head of foam that quickly settles down to a wispy thin covering. Some lacing was left at the top of the glass but the rest just slide right down the sides of the glass. I'm not complaining but the can describes the head as "IDEAL HEAD". I would like to have a little taller head with much more hang time on it.

Smell: There are typical pale lager malt notes with modest noble hop notes in the aroma. Overall it's kind of sweet and lightly nutty. (Not at all what I was expecting.)

Taste/Palate: It tastes just like the aroma suggests. There is a pale lightly bready maltiness with a nice sweet and slightly nutty character. For balance it has a light kiss of clean floral noble hops. The finish is quick, snappy and dry with light bitterness and more of the nutty notes in the malt coming through. The texture is smooth and lively with good carbonation.

Notes: Well I was not expecting a Fest beer when I picked this one up but there it is. I was thinking it was going to be more of a Czech Pilsener or a Euro Lager but it is well in keeping with a good old German Fest beer.

3.98/5  rDev +24.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I don't know if I would classify this beer as a Marzen/Octoberfest. It is clearly a pilsner. Pours out to a bright yellow in the glass with a very active carbonation and a nice, fluffly white head. The aroma is that of hay/freshly cut grass. The taste is superb for a "fizzy, yellow beer". There are hints of caramel and honey with a nice, little hop bite on the finish. Incredibly drinkable. I don't think I've rated a pils this high before.

3.88/5  rDev +21.6%

Very fresh intro with a well balanced bitterness. Average finish

3.83/5  rDev +20.1%

Pours a light amber with a good sized foamy white head and extensive patches of lace. The aroma is of fruity malts, with apple and orange mixing with some noble hops. The taste is of crackers and honey with some stewed fruit notes and a subdued hoppiness. Hop bitterness is low too. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and creamy for a lager. The alcohol is very understated.

This is a very good euro lager, definitely the best Polish beer Ive tried yet. Id get this again.

3.78/5  rDev +18.5%

Out of the bottle it has a thick head, gold in color, no bubbles...very light. Average nutish smell, fairly dull.

It tastes like a light nut-brown ale. It has decent quality, but it really doesn't do anything special. When you finish it, it's like, ok that was good, what's next.

3.77/5  rDev +18.2%

dark gold in color with a white head that fizzes itself out quickly. malty aroma with caamel, vanilla, and a light fruitiness. honey aromas make a showing as it warms. slight astringency and hints of an almost maple syrup aroma also show up. very sweet with candy like flavors that mirror the aroma minus the astringency. apple like fruitiness combines with the caramel to create a very pleasing caramel apple taste (obviously). lighter medium body with average carbonation. good drinkability, while very sweet, it is not overwhelming at all. worth a try if you can get your hands on it. i gotta admit, i was pleasantly surprised with my first polish beer.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Warka has a thin-to-medium, white head, a fairly good amount of lacing left behind, and a clear, golden appearance. Aroma is of sweet honey and bread crust, and the flavor is of the same, with low-level, grassy bitterness and German bread. Mouthfeel is light to medium, and Warka finishes crisp and refreshing.

RJT

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Typical pale lager appearance. Average head and lacing. Not great but ok.
500ml can. 5.5% alcohol - no longer 5.7% as it used to be.

Smell is typical euro pale lager graininess. Quite inviting and strong enough to make you feel good about taking the first swig.

The taste is mild. A little bit of malt sweetness and some generic hop bitterness in the finish. No herbal or grassy hop flavours.

Overall a pleasant a drinkable lager with no off notes. A good lager bite in the taste and a well balanced finish.

76/100

3.72/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.71/5  rDev +16.3%

Pours apple juice pale golden color. Thin white head dissipates quickly.

Aroma is somewhat faint to nonexistent.

Palate is malty sweet with light hops in the background. Overall a thicker, sweeter pale lager than most that I've tasted from this region.

Sweetness may be bothersome to some drinkers. It's almost sickly sweet.

3.7/5  rDev +16%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

In the glass this is a clear amber colored beer with a distinct orange cast to it. A decent light tan head forms and then falls.

Smell is sweet with a distinct Munich malt aroma to it. Fairly perfumed to the nose the hops are more floral than I expected.

Taste is sweet and very strong with the caramel flavor at the very beginning. Good strong hop in the background to reign in the caramel and it does a good job but this is still a fairly sweet beer. A tasty malt heavy beer that I rather like.

Mouthfeel is good.

Surprisingly good drinkability from a beer from an iffy country. Nearly in the same class as the best of the style from Germany, this is a beer I can recommend.

3.7/5  rDev +16%

A couple of years back, my workplace had managed to hire a couple of young people from Poland to work at my workplace for the summer, and being roughly the same age as them, one of the things we had in common was an affinity for alcohol. While they seemed to prefer hard liquor more often than beer, in our discussions about beer almost all of them said that their favorite beer from their homeland was a beer called Warka Strong (at first due to their accent I thought they said Vodka Strong). I was hoping to someday try that beer, but I couldn't find it in America. Then awhile back I managed to find the original Warka beer, which I seized upon and which I am reviewing today.

Warka pours a nice amber/copper color with a decent foam head that thins out in about a minute. The aroma is simple but pleasing, with some nice sweet malts present with some citric and herbal hoppiness in the nose. The mouthfeel is crisp and clean, but has a slight bit of stickiness to it. The main flavor is of some sweet, slightly caramel like maltiness with perhaps an underlying nuttiness present (almost peanut like). Moderate hop bitterness, with the citric/herbal hop presence noticable. The carbonation is on the lighter side. There is a moderate amount of dryness in the finish, but it doesn't linger on for too long. The aftertaste brings us some lingering herbal hoppiness, and there is a light alcoholic warmth to finish off the brew.

I was expecting a standard Euro-lager when purchasing this brew, but I knew my Polish friends would not steer me wrong. I would eventually like to try the Strong variation of this beer, but I may have to make a trip to Poland in order to do that (which is fine with me :-). An easy drinking beer, and a good one to relax with.

Warka from Browary Warka Sp. z o.o.