Warka | Browary Warka Sp. z o.o.

WarkaWarka

Browary Warka Sp. z o.o.
Poland | website

Style: Euro Pale Lager

Added by jackndan on 10-20-2002

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
Reviews: 62 | Ratings: 145
2.66/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Warka, ABV: 5.7%.
550 ml can, gift from a friend (bought in Poland).

A: The liquid is clear and bright amber in colour, with an average white head that leaves some lacing in the glass.

S: Grainy malt, bread, syrup and banana skids. Not much.

T: White bread, cereals, citrus, syrup, banana skids and alcohol.

M: Sticky carbonation. Both body and bitterness is small to medium.

O: As usual with the Polish standards, it doesn't benefit from the slightly higher ABV. Warka is far from the worst example, though. It's still drinkable. The taste is neither good nor bad.

3.23/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Light amber in color, with minimal head with no lace.

S - Sweet, honey, biscuity and malt.

T - Sweet and piney. Malty and spicey hops.

M - Crisp mouthfeel that is rescued by a dry bitterness that balances the beer.

Overall - very drinkable and fairly sweet.

2.86/5  rDev -10.1%

500 ml can split and poured into a Bruery tulip.
5.7% ABV, Best By 07-16-2011.

A - Golden and mostly clear like a European Okto should be, this has very nice clarity and a thick, short ring of white foam. Good lace left on the glass too.

S - Sweet corn and pils malt open the aroma with an average but certainly not offensive start. Märzen malt profile is surprisingly good and inviting, but the aroma is average overall.

T - Thin Märzen malt profile with pils and bit of corn-like sweetness. Very little English hop to the taste.

M - Medium-light bodied and smooth with a clean profile and lightly dry, crisp finish.

O - Definitely a surprise that this one isn't terrible, after all, I was expecting it to be when I bought a single of it. I suppose lower standards help. A decently drinkable polish brew.

3.25/5  rDev +2.2%

$1.49 pint bottle from Gene's Sausage Shop.

Fizzy bright gold, some retention in the form of a wispy skim and thin soapy ring around the rim. Visible carbonation trails.

Aroma is a little dull and muted, soapy sweet florals and maybe apple. It's difficult to pull out anything really.

Flaccid feel, clean and dry aftertaste, apple and papery notes dominate. Pretty much like every Polish lager out there, very clean but one dimensional. Not much in the way of noble hops here, they may have already faded (bottle not dated). Pretty dry. Clean and easy to drink, went well with smoked alpine sausage from Gene's also.

Pours a golden yellow color with 1 finger of head that fades to a ring with some lacing. The aroma is a mix of grainy malt and that sharp, crispness common to domestic lagers. It starts off fairly bland and sweet, with just some light bitterness on the back end. The finish is fast and clean with just a hint of corn sweetness. The body is slightly fuller than a typical macro lager and the drinkability is on par with macros. This is a decent lager, but I would hardly call it a Marzen.

Presentation: It was poured from 500ml can into a mug. There is a freshness date of 04-15-2011 printed on the bottom of the can and the ABV is listed as 5.7%.

Appearance: Its body has a golden yellow color with excellent clarity and lots of visible carbonation. Its head builds up to about a two finger tall creamy just off white head of foam that quickly settles down to a wispy thin covering. Some lacing was left at the top of the glass but the rest just slide right down the sides of the glass. I'm not complaining but the can describes the head as "IDEAL HEAD". I would like to have a little taller head with much more hang time on it.

Smell: There are typical pale lager malt notes with modest noble hop notes in the aroma. Overall it's kind of sweet and lightly nutty. (Not at all what I was expecting.)

Taste/Palate: It tastes just like the aroma suggests. There is a pale lightly bready maltiness with a nice sweet and slightly nutty character. For balance it has a light kiss of clean floral noble hops. The finish is quick, snappy and dry with light bitterness and more of the nutty notes in the malt coming through. The texture is smooth and lively with good carbonation.

Notes: Well I was not expecting a Fest beer when I picked this one up but there it is. I was thinking it was going to be more of a Czech Pilsener or a Euro Lager but it is well in keeping with a good old German Fest beer.

2.85/5  rDev -10.4%

Had this beer on tap at Pod Wawelem in Krakow. Served cool in a stout krug.

A-gold yellow body, thin white head.

S-slight hop aroma but otherwise clean.

T-nice balanced taste, but rather non-descript

M-light

D-Okay at best. Nice balance. Good in a pinch and certainly thirst quenching. Marzen?

2.47/5  rDev -22.3%

This is the latest addition the unusually wide range of Polish lagers at my local off-licence, and one of the most attractive so far. But it's still not going to win any beauty pageants, not with its generic golden body and completely average white head. The nose is noticeably and aggressively alcoholic, smelling kind of like a can of cheap cider, without much nuance to speak of save a hint of sulfur and a touch of glue. The flavor is sweet and a bit thick, so if this style classification is to be trusted, then it's pretty much spot on, but that's the best that can be said for it. It tastes like some kind of lemony beer and rum concoction, and that's how it drinks. Not terrible, but far from recommendable.

3.54/5  rDev +11.3%

Pours a pale brass with a frothy white head that flees fast and no visible carbonation. Forest honey malts and flowery noble hops on the nose. Big bread dough malts, some caramel pears, a whiff of booze and spice cake hops. Dry finish, metallic linger. Light to medium, some chew, no burn or fizz.

I don't know what style to rate this against - from earlier reviews this was once labeled a Vienna lager and the 'other' beer site has it as a "premium" lager.

Regardless, solid malts and enough hops - better than most out of Poland.

3.13/5  rDev -1.6%

This one is kind of a throwback to the early days of this site, when one could differentiate between serving styles. In going through my backlog of beer, I came across a 500 ml bottle of Warka which I assumed to be the same as other Warka.

From the bottle: "From Polish Hops"; "Official Sponsor of the Polish National Team."; "Limited Edition Beer 1478"

I Pop!ped the cap and as I began the pour, my curiosity was piqued as the color was clearly NOT that of a Euro Pale Lager. I got a finger of fizzy, deep-tan/light-brown head with decent retention. Color was Brown to Dark Brown (SRM = > 22, < 27) with NE-quality clarity and cola highlights. Nose had a chocolaty-anise quality. Hmm. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was slightly smoky with notes of bittersweet chocolate, molasses, caramel and brown sugar. Hmmm. Finish had a bittersweet flavor that lingered well after the swallow. Hmmmm.

I also had a CAN from the same period as the above bottle, so I decided to see how that stacked up.

From this CAN: "From Polish Hops"; "Official Sponsor of the Polish National Team."; "Limited Edition Beer 1478"; "The Measure of a Genuine Beer"; "Enjoy Warka responsibly."

The Crack! was loud and clear and I was curious, so I performed an inverted Glug. I got two fluffy fingers of bone white head that quickly retreat to wisps. Color was Straw-Yellow (SRM = > 2, < 4) with filament-quality clarity. Nose smelled heavily of biscuit malt and grassy Noble hops. It was clean and adjunct-free, though and I was ready. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was clean, refreshing, lager-like, with a reserved sweetness from the malt and a grassy taste from the hops. It is when I drink these types of beers that I want to weep. Prohibition in the U.S. killed lagers and gave rise to the AAL style that was a hallmark of the early days of The CANQuest (tm) and which CANtinues to haunt me. This was so much better than any AAL could ever hope to be. Finish was semi-dry, CANpletely refreshing and worth inclusion in your cooler.

The original CAN review, dtd 18 June 2010 follows:

The CANQuest (tm) is going Polish this evening in memory of my drinking buddy, Stosh, who owned the Bloomfield Bridge Tavern in Pittsburgh before he passed, leaving the place to his children. The Red and White dinner platters remain memorable as does Dyngus Day. R.I.P.

My pour resulted in two fingers' worth of thick, foamy bone- white head with decent retention. Color was a deep golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. BUPGOO! Nose had a very Saaz hop/Pilsner bite to it. I am curious as to its being an O-fest. Mouthfeel was slightly watery with a lager-like sweetness on the tongue. I really CANnot believe that this is an O-fest and I have sent the company an E-mail for clarification. Finish was mild, unobtrusive, definitely some sort of Lager, maybe an O-fest, maybe not. Drinkable? Sure. Cooler worthy? Yes, but not worth seeking out. It would be a nice, simple beer to have with a nice, simple Polish meal, no question.

3.01/5  rDev -5.3%

500 ml bottle - has a "Best by" but no date:

Pours golden with a white head that has a decent retention before vanishing to a wisp. Minimal lacing sticks.

The smell is of sweet graininess - towards caramel, with a touch of "Euro-skunk" and a touch of soap.

The taste is sweet - in a rather bland way. Some (woody) dryness in the finish, though remains sweet.

The feel is fizzy at first, but eases up. Light-to-medium bodied.

I thought it more of a Euro Pale Lager than a Marzen/O-fest, but I suppose the sweetness puts it into the latter... Anyway, it's a rather bland, sweet, though "drinkable" brew.

2.9/5  rDev -8.8%

Pours a dark amber body wqith tons of carbonation and a huge off white head. Aromas are caramel, malt, bread, and some hops. Taste is sweet malts, caramel, some hops, molasses. Smooth and creamy. Very dangerous considering it is 7%. Not my favourite ES, but all in all, well made, and given the high ABV, a well made brew.

3.03/5  rDev -4.7%

Recieved a six-pack for my birthday. Immediately after pour, smells like angelfood cake. Didn't expect that. Head disipated quickly. No trace of lace and the carbonation left quickly. Taste is sweet and syrupy, with caramel and some kind of fruit, like raisins? Alcohol was prominent to me. Never had anything like this one. Glad I tried it. Don't think I'd buy it.

4.25/5  rDev +33.6%

An O-Fest from Poland? You know, that's what I love about beer... it never fails to surprise me.

A - This is a dark, but perfectly clear, orange-bronze and is capped with a fluffy two finger head that rose up with a nitro-like cascade effect. Thick sheets of really solid lace slide down the glass and leave some crust behind. Nice!

S - Carrot cake and caramel malt with a hint of cinnamon and spice. In fact, this reminds me of those carrot cake flavored and white hard icing-topped ding-dong things that you can get in bowling alley vending machines.

T - Wow! This is a surprisingly forceful and very sweet flavor attack! This is like a dark over-ripe fruit laden Baltic Porter mixed with the spice cake notes of an "Imperial Oktoberfest" if such a thing exists. This tastes and feels much more boozy than it's meager 5.6%, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. In fact, that big body and dense sweetness works to this one's favor. Seriously, this is complex, sweet, uber-malty, and tasty as hell.

M - Full bodied, dextrin-y, solid, dense, massive, and muscular. This is one helluva beer. Finishes neutral with a "spice-cake drenched in molasses" note lingering after the swallow.

D - Just this morning I was brewing up a batch of pale ale homebrew, and I happened to sample the malt extract raw after I got all I could out of the can, and this tastes a lot like that raw malty sweet and bran-y flavor. I opened this brew expecting some sort of Polish version of a Euro-Lager and instead I was amazed to be treated to one of the best Oktoberfests I've ever had, and that's saying a lot since I've had quite a few and it's one of my favorite styles! An outstanding O-Fest ... from Poland! Who would've thunk?

3.07/5  rDev -3.5%

11.2oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours a dark golden orange color with a thin fizzy white head that quickly disappears. The aroma is dominated by slightly toasted malts, some caramel and a hint of toffee. The taste much like the aroma is mostly malt with some caramel and a barely noticeable hop finish. The mouthfeel is pretty thin and under-carbonated for my liking. Overall, I will likely pass on purchasing this beer again.

3.78/5  rDev +18.9%

Out of the bottle it has a thick head, gold in color, no bubbles...very light. Average nutish smell, fairly dull.

It tastes like a light nut-brown ale. It has decent quality, but it really doesn't do anything special. When you finish it, it's like, ok that was good, what's next.

3.71/5  rDev +16.7%

Pours apple juice pale golden color. Thin white head dissipates quickly.

Aroma is somewhat faint to nonexistent.

Palate is malty sweet with light hops in the background. Overall a thicker, sweeter pale lager than most that I've tasted from this region.

Sweetness may be bothersome to some drinkers. It's almost sickly sweet.

3.7/5  rDev +16.4%

A couple of years back, my workplace had managed to hire a couple of young people from Poland to work at my workplace for the summer, and being roughly the same age as them, one of the things we had in common was an affinity for alcohol. While they seemed to prefer hard liquor more often than beer, in our discussions about beer almost all of them said that their favorite beer from their homeland was a beer called Warka Strong (at first due to their accent I thought they said Vodka Strong). I was hoping to someday try that beer, but I couldn't find it in America. Then awhile back I managed to find the original Warka beer, which I seized upon and which I am reviewing today.

Warka pours a nice amber/copper color with a decent foam head that thins out in about a minute. The aroma is simple but pleasing, with some nice sweet malts present with some citric and herbal hoppiness in the nose. The mouthfeel is crisp and clean, but has a slight bit of stickiness to it. The main flavor is of some sweet, slightly caramel like maltiness with perhaps an underlying nuttiness present (almost peanut like). Moderate hop bitterness, with the citric/herbal hop presence noticable. The carbonation is on the lighter side. There is a moderate amount of dryness in the finish, but it doesn't linger on for too long. The aftertaste brings us some lingering herbal hoppiness, and there is a light alcoholic warmth to finish off the brew.

I was expecting a standard Euro-lager when purchasing this brew, but I knew my Polish friends would not steer me wrong. I would eventually like to try the Strong variation of this beer, but I may have to make a trip to Poland in order to do that (which is fine with me :-). An easy drinking beer, and a good one to relax with.

3.47/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle:

Poured a gold clear lager in the glass...good cap fair retention

Decent nose like sweet grass and bread

Good dose of malt in the front herbal balance from hops clean finish with biscuit after taste...

Rich mouth feel medium body on this lasger...drinkable and satisfying...one pf the best Polish lagers on par with Okocim.

2.7/5  rDev -15.1%

Poured nice into the glass with a nice white head. the color was a amber color with the smell being sweet. The mouthfeel was not clean but that of a light syrup texture. The alcohol content was 7 percent but the alcohol wasn't present in the taste.The beer was lacking character along with taste. Overall I was disappointed

3.7/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

In the glass this is a clear amber colored beer with a distinct orange cast to it. A decent light tan head forms and then falls.

Smell is sweet with a distinct Munich malt aroma to it. Fairly perfumed to the nose the hops are more floral than I expected.

Taste is sweet and very strong with the caramel flavor at the very beginning. Good strong hop in the background to reign in the caramel and it does a good job but this is still a fairly sweet beer. A tasty malt heavy beer that I rather like.

Mouthfeel is good.

Surprisingly good drinkability from a beer from an iffy country. Nearly in the same class as the best of the style from Germany, this is a beer I can recommend.

This beer was a deep yellow, clear brew with a one finger head composed of large bubbles.

The aroma was mostly of grains, with a little bit of spicy hops. Not terribly malty.

Taste was mainly of grains, and it was a trifle sweet. There was a bit of caramel and some spicy hops thrown in for good measure.

Mouthfeel was a little thin, but not overly so.

Drinkability was OK... I could have another if I wanted to, but I wouldn't be terribly drawn to it unless the only other thing available was macro-swill.

2.95/5  rDev -7.2%

A very limpid deep golden in colour with great amber hies. No head retention, dead beer to look at, very boring.

Smell is of corn sugar, syrup, caramel and malted.

Taste is pretty sweet, very malty, malt is quite present, woth shy hoppy flavours which rounds up a floral bouquet. Very watery and smooth, there was some presense ethyl in the end.

2.82/5  rDev -11.3%

Warka Beer pours a dark amber. The smell is decent, no unpleasant notes. Mostly malt and maybe just a touch of hops. The taste is dominated by malt, not much hops. Nothing special, but not bad either, definitely drinkable. I'm not sure I'd pick one up again, but I could see someone else liking it.

3.63/5  rDev +14.2%

500ml can hauled back from Poland by my friend Kris. Thanks!

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 1 1/4" off-white head above the clear light golden brew. Frothy head lasts and lasts, with lots of lacing. Aroma is light, relatively balanced, with spicy hops tipping the scales a bit. Taste is sweet pale grains, with a crisp Saaz-ish hoppiness. Mouthfeel is reasonably smooth, and drinkability is nice as well. Not bad, esp for the travelling this can has done.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
Warka from Browary Warka Sp. z o.o.