Size 7 | Steel Toe Brewing

Style: American IPA

Added by jera1350 on 09-03-2011

Reviews: 126 | Ratings: 617
3.19/5  rDev -21.8%

Pours a clear amber color with a moderate head. Very calm looking appearance, and I do not see any visible carbonation at all.

Nose is full of grassy and piney hops. Fairly straightforward smell.

This is undoubtedly a West Coast-inspired IPA. The hop bitterness and the dryness is at the forefront, with little sweetness present. This is not a bad beer by any stretch, but I feel like every creative decision made by the brewers is the opposite of my preference.

If you like dry West Coast IPA's give this a shot, for me, this is probably the only time I'll be having this.

4.04/5  rDev -1%

pint served at town house tap

look is typical for an ipa, orange amber look, clear, small layer of head. smell is hoppy: flowers, citrus, pine. touch of buttery malt in there as well. average feel for an ipa. taste is and odd mix: warm peanut butter malt mixes with flowery, dandelion hops.

very flavorful, just not sure it's my style.

EDIT: this beer grew on me, but only in bombers = i rarely drink it.

This is brewed not more than 2 miles from my house, which typically results in biweekly growler fills, so when I saw it on tap at ABR 2012, I had to grab a pour. From notes.

Light orange-amber pour with an off-white foam that persisted nicely and left decent lacing. Smell is north by northwest grapefruit pith, resin pine elements and subtle biscuit malt. Taste was citric forward with orange and grapefruit pith, pine resin, and subtle hints of tropical fruit. Mild malt backing only slightly restrained bitterness into a clean and mildly bitter finish. Refreshing and juicy characteristics in a medium, slightly creamy body with good carbonation. A great example of a northwest IPA.

4.42/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

22 oz. bottle acquired through the BPL Fantasy BIF with Zeledonia, who sent an awesome box. Poured into a Samuel Smith imperial pint glass.

A- A normal pour created a 1-finger, off-white head. The body was a hazy, burnt orange. The head settles out to a thin film, leaving nice sticky spots on the glass. A second pour and the stick is even more significant.

S- Quite fresh and hoppy. I get a lot of citrus and hints of pine. Malt backbone brings a lot of balance wit sugary and bready aromas. Everything magnifies with a little warmth.

T- Bold and balanced, as in "there's a ton of everything." Hops are lemony and slightly piney. Malts are cracker-like. There's a hoppy finish that's a touch aspirin-like (not necessarily in a bad way, just a touch biting).

M- Full bodied. Slight hoppy bite. Moderate carbonation tries to keep up.

O- A very solid IPA. While really hoppy, it's pretty well balanced by a solid grain bill. I'd put it up there with my favorites, Two Hearted, Founders, Short's, ect. Obtained through a trade with Zeledonia, I'd buy it if it was available in my market.

3.47/5  rDev -15%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer pours a very clear deep straw with an average, sustaining head. The aroma is fairly restrained, with hints of caramel, pineapple, and dankness. The flavor starts with dank and piney notes, with some burnt sugar notes following this, and a nice bitter swallow. It does taste to me as if there is a touch of oxidation present, as there is a slightly nutty, sherry-like flavor. Perhaps the beer is a bit past its prime? I am unable to locate a bottle date. The mouthfeel is fairly full. Overall this has some impressive bitterness, but there is something about the base that is not quite right. Maybe just to far out of my style.

Some nice lacing. Beer looks like a quality IPA should. Nothing off putting in the appearence.

The smell upon cracking the bottle is fantastic. It seems to fade a bit after the pour but a nice smelling beer. Earthy and citrus, tropical hops.

The taste is a little piney, a little citrus. Pretty heavy malt background. Could use a slightly dryer finish in my opinion.

Overall a great beer but I always seem to want just a touch less malt whenever I have this.

4.08/5  rDev 0%

22 oz bottle poured into my bruery tulip.

A: Clear copper color. The pour dropped a big two finger head that left tons of sticky lace.

A: big hop aroma with notes of grapefruit and pine needles. A strong caramel malt backbone gives it some balance.

T: I get the caramel malt off the bat followed by the huge hop presence. Citrus starts off the hop explosion and it finishes with the flavor of sucking on fresh pine cones. The pine really is quite amazing. It finishes bitter as it should.

M: Medium body with the perfect amount of carbonation.

O: This is a very fine brew. I'll bet, when super fresh, this would be at the top of my list in terms of hoppy brews. As it is, it has faded a bit, but still a must try for all you hop heads.

3.04/5  rDev -25.5%

A - The pour revealed a mostly white, some slight yellow, head that rose to about a finger before falling fairly quick. Body is clear and a nice wheat/orange color. I feel like the body is lacking something, like it is watery.

S - One of the stronger and more complex aromas from an IPA I have smelled. Good pine/hop notes, fairly woody, and only the slightest lime rind.

T - It's a very harsh hop profile that tastes a lot like lime rind and lemon seeds. Not a whole lot here.

M - Gets you in the back of your mouth, but not in a good way. Good carbonation, but body is a bit lacking.

O - I feel this beer is all about the hugely bitter hops, which isn't always a good thing. You can use a lot of hops and still have balance, which, as the bottle says, this does not. I drank this as soon as I received it, but unfortunately I don't know the origin, so it may be a little old.

3.7/5  rDev -9.3%

On tap
A: copper orange and 3 finger white head
S: citrus and earthy notes mixed together; a little graininess too
T: bit of grapefruit, fainter orange, then some resin; caramel malts and a little breadiness in the mid-mouthful and toward the end, together with more resin.
M: medium carbonation, pretty smooth, a little oily.

Overall: I'm not entirely sure what to make of this one. I want to love it, since the brewery is very near by; but it ends up somewhere in between being really juicy and sweet, really dank, really earthy and/or spicy...it doesn't entirely commit in one direction, and what you end up getting is good, but leaves me thinking it isn't great. I'm probably in the minority here, but... like Rainmaker a lot better.

4.32/5  rDev +5.9%

Enjoyed this as part of the Blind BIF, courtesy of JohnPPutz

Blind Reveiw #2

BEFORE
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums ... 75931b.jpg

A - Pours a brilliant transparant gold with a 1" foam crown that is stubborn as all hell. Over a minute has passed, and it's receded less than half that amount. 4.0

S - My goodness. This is a fabulous IPA. I just know it. Nose is heavy on grapefruit, and citrus in general. Virtually no pine element, and a lovely hops balance. This is a great smelling brew. 4.5

T - Here we go... Interesting. This is a very mild IPA. Perhaps a "hoppy" pale ale? This is very smooth. Grapefruit, mild citrus, pine showing through for the first time. I'm liking this. 4.5

M - This is delightful. Everything plays so nicely in this beer. The malt is very light indeed, which is good, because malty beers, even on the finish, aren't my bag. 4.0

O - Like I said, I know this is an IPA, and a find one at that. The question is, which one. My shipper is from IL and has undoubtedly read my wants and my reviews. 4.0

I'm going to take a stab at a Three Floyds brew. Dreadnaught or Arctic Panzer Wolf.

Survey says???

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums ... 230662.jpg

Steel Toe Brewing Size 7 IPA. Instant permanwant. Seriously. I could have never guessed this, because I've never had it. The fact that I thought of it along the lines of two FFF IPA's that I've had, and loved, speaks volumes. You're on fuckin' fire, John. My goodness.

3.6/5  rDev -11.8%

Undated bomber poured into a pint. Guys at the store said that they had just gotten a shipment in, so I will assume it's fresh.

Pours a very clear amber color with a pillowy two finger off white head with good retention and lacing. Looks the part, although a tiny bit of haze = win. Maybe it's filtered.

Aroma is... meh. Tastes clean and bitter. Seemed a little dull at first but I am warming up to it. Good bitterness all around supported by a medium-light body and touch of malts, with good citrusy notes. Carbonation is on the lower side that's generally good in my opinion.

My nose might be off because I find it a little bit lacking in aroma and hop flavor. As if there were enough early additions (very very welcome) but not enough late additions/dry hopping. The brilliant clarity might be because of lack of dry hopping? Then again I believe no brewery would put out an IPA in this market w/o dry hopping it to the best of their judgment.

Overall, I like it. A good local option, better than any IPA put out by Summit, Fulton, Schell's. Does it excel Furious or Mama? Probably not, but regardless, it's a good beer at a good price! Thanks Keith for the recommendation.

4.5, 2, 4, 4.5, 4

4.2/5  rDev +2.9%

A- Pours a nice crystal clear copper color with very light tan head. A bit of lace is present.

S- Nice grapefruit, pine, marmalade,

T- Starts out with some malty breadiness and then the hops hit. Big grapefruit, pine and grassiness. Excellent long hop finish with hop oils lingering for a long time.

M- Low carbonation with nice big feel. Again, excellent finish on the palette.

D- Overall, pretty drinkable and a beer I welcome to Minnesota.

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured into an IPA glass.
A - Pours a golden yellow. Nice big white head. Lots of lacing on the glass.
S - Hops, all I smell is piney resin from hops.
T - This is the most hop resin forward IPA I have tasted. Any citrus takes a back seat.
M - Sticky
O - I really like this beer. It may not be complex but it is very well done. Resiny hops right out front for all to enjoy.

3.77/5  rDev -7.6%

Body is a straw golden color that is clear,lasting finger of head.
The aroma is composed of a myriad of the notes you normally find in Ipas, ranging from pine notes through grapefruit citrus notes. The citrus notes are more prominent, and the malt isn't too strong, both how a ipa should be.
Flavor wise the malt takes a back seat and lets the hops come out, leaving a crisp citrus bite, notably of grapefruit, that finishes clean. Digging it.

This is a good IPA from the Twin Market.

4.2/5  rDev +2.9%

Poured from 22oz bottle into globe glass. Thanks to Jesse for hooking this one up.

A. Poured a 2 finger head. Thick lacing. Good retention. Color is dark orange with some amber hues.

S. Nice hop aroma. Pine and citrus hop aroma. Not a whole lot of malt detected beneath the prevalent hops. Pretty nice grapefruit aroma.

T. Great tasting IPA. Really kind of a unique flavor for me. Mostly all of the taste is hop flavor, but really not very bitter at all. Grapefruit and citrus flavors. Very easy drinking.

M. Medium bodied. Nice mouthfeel. Medium carbonation.

O. From the Steel Toe website "If you ever call Size 7 balanced we’ll kick you where it hurts (in the hop sack)". This IPA is a nice showcase for hop flavor without alot of bitterness which leaves a very easy drinking IPA. Not a whole lot of malt flavor going on at all with this one.

4.55/5  rDev +11.5%

Fantastic new IPA. Nice orange, gold, copper color. Rich mouthfeel, tropical and pine smell and taste. I get papaya, mango, pine sap and even berry aromas. Solid bitterness that is well knitted into the fruit and pine flavors. Delicious. Seamless execution. The best IPA in bottles that MN has to offer.

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into an unbranded becker pint glass

Pours a deep gold with amber accents capped by a two finger clean white head. Excellent retention, gobs of splotchy lacing left along the glass. Big, bold nose chock full of mango, pineapple, and other citrusy fruit notes rounded out by some floral accents. Opens with mango, papaya, pineapple, even some edible orchid. Some mild sweet malt and honey accents midpalate. Finishes dry with dominant citrus rind bitterness. Light to lighter side of medium-bodied, slick but very silky mouthfeel. One of the better American IPAs that I've had for the first time recently. Highly recommended.

3.93/5  rDev -3.7%

This local Twin Cities beer from St. Louis Park is really good. It combines the sharp bite of a typical IPA with a surprising tartness in a slightly fruity aftertaste. The 7% alcohol content is strong but nowhere near overwhelming. The colorization is a pretty dark gold. It has a small head with a tiny amount of lattice. Overall? Very good craft beer!

4.12/5  rDev +1%

Golden IPA with streaks of copper through the thicker parts of the glass. Fluffy white head piles high in the glass. Glad it was oversized glass to hold back the rise from the bomber. Rush of grapefruit off the falling head was strong and wet the appetite. Doesn't hang in there through the whole beer, but is still a very nice citrus, lemon, light malt that is very much in the Northwest style, as stated on the website. Lace hangs nicely on the side of the glass as I taste it--hops linger in the nose yet as the soft bread hides below the fruity hop bite that swallows the tongue fully. Lingers nicely and can chew the hops a little. Body is a bit light, but seems to be on purpose to showcase those hops. 7% ABV is completely unapparent, so is a much bigger beer than it seems on face value. Very good IPA--maybe even one to keep around on a regular basis to drink during the week. Nice hop bite to feed the beast, but light enough to enjoy so you're not kicked in the butt by this Size 7.

4.21/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a clear copper/ orangeish color, lots of head on this brew with opens up the delicious aromatics of it. Which is a huge citrus nose that explodes all in your nose. I really enjoy the nose on this one. Taste is not very balanced with a brief hint of the fruits in the nose followed by a a very hardy malt backbone that tastes just like moist crackers. Mouthfeel has a moderate amount of carbonation and a bubbly feel to it.

It says on the side this is a northwest style IPA and I found that to be true to its characteristics.

4.42/5  rDev +8.3%

Bomber poured into a pint glass

This pours a brilliant orange color. Very nice clarity. 2 Finger sticky head up top. Smells of citrus fruits, pines, and hops. Very fresh smelling. Taste is hoppy yet smooth. Nice and refreshing up front with lots of grapefruit and oranges with a hoppy finish that has the right amount of bitterness. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and solid carbonation. Overall I loved this. Very easy drinking and enjoyable.

4.36/5  rDev +6.9%

I enjoyed this while in Minneapolis for work, per suggestion by beer store guy. Much appreciated.

Dull copper color with frothy egg shell head. The nose is juicy grapefruit, pineapple, resin, and ends with floral notes. The taste begins with a strong malt backbone - a little sweet - with floral hop profiles and a chewy grain finish. High carbonation, full body, a decent hop bite.

This is a great IPA - and at 4.99 - bring it on. Super good beer, well crafted, and great price. This is under the radar and needs to be more known.

4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

A: Golden in color with orange hues. Crystal clear. Stronger carbonation for the style. Nice, bright white head with good lace.

S: Nice hop profile with grassy, citrus, and grapefruit notes. A hint of pine as well. Subtle malt sweetness.

T: Beautiful balance of citrus, grassy, and piney hops. The malts are very supportive, adding a nice balancing backbone. Very well balanced. Impressive.

M: Light-medium bodied. Crisp. Slightly sticky finish from the hops.

O: This was a really solid IPA. The combination of great flavor and balance made incredibly drinkable. It doesn't surpass my all time favorite (Odell IPA), but it is damn close. The growler was gone before I knew it. I'm looking forward to other offerings from this brewery.

4.05/5  rDev -0.7%

A- Rich golden copper. Very little head, low visible carbonation.

S- Piny. Lemongrass, some spice and herbs.

T- Very nice citrus, grass, and pine. A whole lot of grapefruit, sticky and resinous, but finishes pleasantly bitter.

M- Well balanced, good carbonation and a great mouthfeel and the finish is really nice.

O- I will definitely but this one next time I'm in Minnesota. Great to see another quality production out of the Twin Cities.

3.77/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked this up in a trade with Dan. Thanks! Poured from the bottle into my Newcastle Brown Ale pint glass.

A - Pours a golden amber color with two fingers plus of cream white head. Perfectly translucent, with no cloudiness. Very nice head retention on this one, lingering for a while. A little too much foam on the initial pour though.

S - Lemon pepper zest, pine, more citrus in the background. Having a hard time getting past the lemon pepper, but I rather enjoy it, so I'm not sure I'd like to get past it. Once I get deeper into it I can pick out orange peel as a distinct scent through the rest of the citrus backbone.

T - Immediately hit with piney hops, with the citrus and lemon pepper present in the nose taking a clear backseat. Very bitter finish in this one as well. As I let it sit in my mouth for a bit, the citrus states its presence, but only to a small extent. The lemon pepper that was so apparent and appreciated in the nose is merely a muted background note in the mouth.

M - Mouthfeel is a bit harsh, following from the taste. Definitely a very dry IPA, and it leaves me feeling parched. Hides the alcohol content well in the bitterness, but it is definitely a hop bomb, especially for a single IPA.

O - Overall, I can understand why this beer has gotten good reviews by those who enjoy a bitter hop profile, but it is simply a bit too much for me.

Size 7 from Steel Toe Brewing