Lunker | Steel Toe Brewing

4.27/5
Alströms:

4.96/5  rDev +16.2%

4.94/5  rDev +15.7%

Best barleywine I've had, aged in jack Daniel barrells genius, taste like a tootsie pop

4.92/5  rDev +15.2%

A-Deep, dark brown....minimal carbonation, head or lacing.

S-Incredible. Massive aroma of nougat, vanilla, toffee, and toasted caramel....

T-Rich and malty....nice sweetish malty English style Barley Wine with outstanding barrel notes from the Templeton Rye barrels used. Overflowing with strong notes of nougat, vanilla, caramel and toffee. Offers a real subtle unique spicy rye dimension as well.

M-ABV is 14.4% You gotta be shitting me. This is smooth drinking, with a velvet like texture. Not much of a pure alcohol bite at all. Has some whiskey notes from the barrel aging but over all I would have guessed this to be more of a 9-10% Barley Wine.

O-I do not buy the high end bombers much anymore. It has to be really special to get my attention. I tried a 5 ounce pour or whatever it was at the brewery and was hooked. I had to drive at the time and since I live 200+ miles from the brewery I decided to pull the trigger on the 750 to go. Pricey but in this case well worth it. Top tier beer. Maybe the best new beer I have had this year.

4.79/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.78/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

So I don't review beers too often anymore unless they completely blow me away... Just easier to be a typical, lazy American and give hads, but once I had a taste of this baby I realized I had to do right by her.

A: almost looks a lot like prune juice. No head to be found whatsoever, it's definitely the only un-becoming trait that this beer carries.

S: smells of the smoothest rye whiskey, butterscotch, toffee, caramel, etc. it's all there and easy to differentiate.

T: just as the nose promised and then some! This thing is so smooth and packs so much flavor. Rye whiskey, vanilla, caramel, toffee, heaven... (Yeah you can taste that in there too.)

M:low, medium bodied. Smooth, velvety, not much carb, but wouldn't have it any other way w/ this one.

O: this is in the top three Barleywines that I've had the luxury of enjoying. The nose and taste of this one rival, maybe defeat King Henry IMO. I hope to God that I have the chance to drink this again someday.

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.74/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

L: brilliant brown pour permeated by leisurely rising bubbles under a 1/2" beige cap that quickly dissipates. Has thick legs.

S: smells like whiskey, alcohol, brown sugar, toffee, caramel, dark dried fruit, malt, toast, oak, and a hint of vanilla. Alcohol dominates

T: dark bread, port, dark sugars, whiskey, alcohol, vanilla, anise, toffee, and hints of cinnamon. Alcohol is the big flavor and tannins from the oak joined by a big bitter hop accent provide some balance to the beer's rich malty sweetness

F: Low levels of carbonation help accent the beer's chewiness. The alcohol is borderline hot.

O: a big boozy beer with a mixed drink intensity that calls out for a cold winter evening by the fire

4.71/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.67/5  rDev +9.4%

My first time rating on this site.
I first tasted Jason's beer in Pacific City Oregon and was in town when I heard about this release. Jason made only great beer out there and Lunker is exceptional. I'm really glad I was able to get some.
A: Deep burgandy. At first the appearance was cloudy, but once the temp warmed to the recommended 55, it cleared up.
S: Full. Toffee, vanilla from the cask, grain.
T: Covers the tongue. Caramels, complementing bitterness, rye, toasted malt, slight stone fruits, sweet tannins in the finish. Excellent blending of lasting flavors. Alcohol was crisp, but remains part of the palate for such a big beer.
M: Perfectly carbonated. Any more it would have detracted from the blending, any less would have flattened out the aromatics. Coated the mouth well.
O: Great barrel aged beer. On par or better than the award winning BA from Pelican Pub. Stored bottles will be 5.0! I am so sorry I will miss his BA Imperial Dark release next month.
Cheers

4.66/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Lunker from Steel Toe Brewing