Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Slammin' Salmon Double India Pale Ale | Mad River Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Formerly Steelhead Double India Pale Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-18-2006

4.01/5  rDev +5.8%

A-Poured a cloudy red-honey amber. Decent head and nice lacing.
S-Hops w/light spice, honey, grapefruit, floral notes.
T-Grapefruit and nectarine, hops, spice, and honey on freshly-toasted country bread. The finish is full of citrus, light spice, tasty hops, and something that makes me think of rye, but I'm not for sure.
M-Very good. Slightly sweet w/great body and perfectly moderated carbonation.
D-Very nice dry-sweet harmony. I really enjoyed this one.

4.75/5  rDev +25.3%

3.37/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz glass bottle - Dull brown murky appearance– nice white head– nose of fresh hops, cannabis , sweet fruits , and alcohol – heavy to medium body – initial taste is sweet then turns bitter , hops , malt and coffee - aftertaste malty chocolate , and bitter

4.05/5  rDev +6.9%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

A- Dark amber, some brown cloudy hues, creamy head, lacing all over the glass.

S- Very malty. Lacked the hop bite I was looking for in a double IPA, but intriguing as hell. Caramel, Bread, Hop, and fresh leaves.

T- Not bad at all! I would have liked some balance with the hops and the malts, I feel like I got a lot more malt than I should have. Medicinal, floral, and citrus hops, bitter on the backend. Very fresh tasting.

M- Rich, chewy, creamy, exactly how I like my DIPA's.

D- Very drinkable for such a high ABV. I enjoyed my first Mad River brew and look forward to trying the rest.

3.75/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.65/5  rDev -3.7%

Deep orange color with an offwhite poofy head, and lacing that sticks around for qutie a while. Hazy, very very hazy. Looks like a DIPA, a dangerous, dangerous, DIPA.

Smells hoppy, piney, earthy, bitter. There's also some orange zest I'm picking up but it's pretty faint. Oily. Hoppy hoppy fruity hoppy.

Tastes bitter, piney, hoppy. There's a syrupyness going on that's part taste, part mouthfeel, that I don't quite dig. It's thick and slick and a bit off putting. Alcohol is strong and in your face.

This is definitely a hop fix for hop lovers such as myself, but it's not as balanced as I'd like it to be. The flavor isn't as delicious as I want it to be, the mouthfeel's kinda off. It's not bad at all, just not what my hops fix wanted.

3.63/5  rDev -4.2%

Mixer sixer elixir.

The appearance of this one is golden yellow with a medium haze. Poured a quarter finger fizzy white head that left quite quickly. Leaves a light alcoholic leg on the glass.

The smell is not very strong, light hops. Some alcoholic smell as well as a light citrus smell.

The taste is good, especially coming from a brewer I have never heard of. It has a hop flavor, but not as much as expected. It has a really strong carbonation, which does not help out this taste of 7-up that I keep getting. It is the citrus from the hops and no malt background at all. Pretty good, but not great.

The mouthfeel is overly carbonated, and that is saying something for me. I love carbonation, but this tastes more like a citrus soda than a high quality brew.

J

3.68/5  rDev -2.9%

Poured from a nice fresh bottle into a straight sided pint glass.

Nice piney, grapefruit hop character riding over the top of a caramel toasty malt aroma.

Matches with a caramel and brown sugar note that lies under a nice biting resinous hop character.

Overall, I need more aroma. I'd like more dryness, but really it's a decent DIPA available for once in a 12 oz bottle. That's a good thing.

4.37/5  rDev +15.3%

A: Reddish copper color with a nice 2 finger head leaving some decent lacing in the glass. There's also some sediment present in this one and it just looks great.

S: Smell of cherry? Also some very sweet grapefruit coming through the nose and is quite potent. I have to say that the smell of this is fantastic.

T: Wow, the taste is a bit of surprise. I wasn't expecting it to be like a citrus jolly rancher from the nose of it but it hits you in the mouth with some serious bitter up front which mellows to some sweet tones along with a peppery taste. A lot more complex than I was expecting

M: The mouthfeel of this is moderate -heavy but it's good.

D: Honestly, this is a great double IPA. I think it's a bit underrated in my opinion.

3.46/5  rDev -8.7%

Presentation: Poured into a Deadlift glass from a 12oz. bottle as pictured.

A: Slightly hazy amber orange with a decent amount of creamy, off-white froth. Mild lacing.

S: Mostly bready malts with some mild background of citrus to mildly soapy hops.

T&M: First sip seemed to be a bit coarse with the carbonation, but it smoothed out when it warmed up. Decent citric hop flavors are well-balanced with the malts. Very chewy with a thickness consistent with the higher 8.6% ABV. Alcohol is well masked. Nice tanginess with a tasty hop bitterness on the fade.

Decent DIPA, but nothing spectacular enough for me to go out of the way to buy again.

12oz bottle in pint glass

A: Orangish brown and hazy color, almost no head. Looks "thick" as it pours.
S: Smells sweet with a bunch of citrus, like an orange blossom honey.
T: Bitter with hints of the orange side of citrus. Lots of sweet malts to try a balance out the hops, maybe too much malt.
M: Tongue coating, a little heavy feeling but not in a bad way. This is obviously a big beer but there is no hint of alcohol.
D: This is a sippin' beer. I think I would prefer a little less malt, more unbalanced on the hoppy side. It is a little too rich to drink very fast or drink very many. In the end, very true to style. I like this beer but I don't love it. Worth trying.

4.44/5  rDev +17.2%

Traded my infected Basement Batch in for this
single at Freeman's, making it only .56 cents.
Thanks Kyle

12 oz ->Anchor steam pint

A ~ Very cloudy Mahogany that I can hardly see through.
This is a color that I like to see in IIPAs

S ~ Pinecone, Mint, with a little spicy scent that I cant place my finger on. There's some muted fruitier smells down in there as well, but they don't hop out at you. (not a pun)
Not a whole lot for a double.

T ~ WOW. Flipping my expectations out. Nice flavor throughout thats like fresh baked Wheat bread drenched in fresh Grapefruit juice! I'm not kidding. Whole bunch of freshly grated lemons & a Bit of juniper and coniferous forest flavors. Only a little bit of sappy hit on the way, way back of the throat.
Now In my top favorite IIPAs as a matter of fact.

M ~ Perfect carbonation and creamy mouth. Literally like whipped-creamy. Bit of that citrus/grass bite on the tongue with the sap flavors in the throat that remind you of what you just drank.
Nice balance that's not too malt forward that I notice certain breweries go for when they are attempting to balance a IIPA

D ~ Incredibly drinkable as a single, arguably sessionable sans the 8.6 ABV. They seriously could not approve this one anymore. Balanced without being too bread-y, with the appropriate amount of alcohol for the style without being too flabby and boozy.

Kudos for this recommendation it exceeded my expectation and has opened the Mad River door for me.
Seek this one out.

3.95/5  rDev +4.2%

4 cloudy tangerine with golden edges. abundant pulpy chunks are suspended throughout, some eventually settling. very short head leaves a ring and ample but temporary lace. i don't mind the chunks in this one. hopefully they're intended.

4 bright grapefruit and generic citrus rind in the smell. very straightforward

4 the taste is straightforward like the smell. almost all rind, very little pine. simcoe hops? juicy and fairly sweet, a little sticky and resinous. the alcohol is well concealed.

3.5 medium to full bodied, a little closer to medium. modest carbonation. a few of the chunks are hefty enough to chew or spit. very much like pulp.

4 one of the dipas i reach for when i want a simple, juicy hop fix. wouldn't mind even more juiciness.
at something like 8.99 for six, a good value too.

3.86/5  rDev +1.8%

Pour: 12oz bottle to tulip glass. Comes out with a three finger light tan head over a slightly cloudy orange/amber brew. Lots of bubbles along the sides of the glass. Head descends quite slowly, sticking to the glass all the way down and forming big plump bubbles as the smaller ones unionize. Descent stops with a thick smattering over the surface of the beer, and the webs that remain on the glass are as thick and opaque as the cap itself. Extremely inviting.

Nose: Very hop forward and presenting some winter spices: clove notes, lime and grapefruit, and some sweet balance of malt. A bit on the faint side.

Mouth: Sour and bitter, lacking the complexity of the aroma. Malts are present up front and are lightly sweet with flavor of sweat peas. Puckering occurs along interior of my cheeks, and the hops leave big lasting bitter aftertaste. A bit of warmth accompanies the exhale, though no flavor. Mouthfeel seems a bit weak, but with small bubbled carbonation throughout remains drinkable nonetheless. A little bit funky.

3.92/5  rDev +3.4%

This is a "local" brewery so I always hope for the best. From a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass poured a murky golden to dark orange with a medium white head that left nice clean lacing. Fairly solid nose of hops and citrus with a touch of apricots. Mouthfeel is nothing special, and the flavor is of malts, fruits, flowers, and a touch of pine. Generally very complex flavors. The alcohol is well hidden. Finish is bitter as befitting an IPA. But the double IPA competition is fierce these days, and while the price is right, this does not quite measure up to the top hitters. Not a bad brew and I am glad to see Mad River come out with a double.

2.75/5  rDev -27.4%

Wanted to try this after I saw it for the first time at Grandview Carryout. Thought A cali double IPA would be a win-win.
Poured a dark orange colored, almost brown color with a beige looking head, and a little lace. I thought the smell would be hoppy, but it kinda just smelled like funk. Taste is all caramel malt, followed by intense bitter. Not hoppy, just a hint of sweet malt, followed by mostly bitterness. Not all all what I was hoping for.

Slammin' Salmon Double India Pale Ale from Mad River Brewing Company