Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Barrel Aged Head High | Kane Brewing Company

3.25/5  rDev -19.2%

3.75/5  rDev -6.7%

3.74/5  rDev -7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Got this fromJoe Canals. Love Head High but I've had it a few times so I thought this would be a nice variation. Pours dark and cloudy with a fluffy head. Getting a slight oaky barrel aroma, something else I can't quite identify, but not big with the hops.Maybe slight citrus. Tastes pretty good. I like how the barrel aging mellows out the hoppiness, but I have to admit, I prefer the regular stuff. A little more carbonated than I would've thought. Nice, but didn't blow me away the way Founders Doom did.

3.85/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

an opaque dark copper in color with 2 fingers of white fluffy head which dissipated into great lacing. smells of vanilla, banana, oak, caramel. the flavors are pretty different than their standard head high, this is a whole different beast. spicy bitterness up front followed by a sweet blast of caramel, vanilla, and oak flavors. there is a hint of banana as well.. absolutely nothing like head high in my opinion, but a great barrel aged beer. it's medium in body with a modest amount of carbonation. slightly creamy. not as easy to drink as head high was, but as far as barrel aged beers it's very drinkable.

glad we stumbled upon this at joe canal's.. forgot it was even friday, checked to see their specialty tap and it was this! great beer.. a little pricy, but it's my birthday/anniversary weekend - i think i can live a little ;)

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%