Fernet Aged Porter | Odell Brewing Company

Odell Brewing Company
Colorado, United States
odells.com

Style: American Porter

Over the past year, we’ve collected empty Fernet Barrels from our friends at Leopold Bros. Distillery. Their distinct Fernet includes lavender, honeysuckle, ginger root, bitter aloe, dandelion root, rose petals, chamomile, and pepper. Inspired by the herb & spice flavors of this dark minty liqueur, we promptly filled the barrels with a rich porter. The roasty chocolate malt character is infused with hints of mint and licorice from the herb-soaked oak, creating a decadent flavor and aroma.

Added by 1759Girl on 10-11-2013

1.5/5  rDev -61%

The head on this beer was 8 fingers with a very small modest pour. I couldn't pour it slow enough to keep the foam down. Sipping from the bottle was impossible, only foam, carbonation profile was likened to a shaken up bottle of champagne. The color once it did settle was lovely, dark velvety appearance that was forgotten the moment it hit my lips. This beer was awful, thankfully I only had one and someone else to help me choke it down. I considered dumping it, strongly considered. I barely tasted dark malt notes smothered out by an awful anise/mint flavor backed with a muddy taste reminiscent of old coffee, pottery slip, and NyQuil. I may be doing NyQuil an injustice. The aroma, was almost as bad as the taste, my first whiff made me think of cheeses that smell awful and taste wonderful, disappointed to find this beer is nothing like that, the aroma was a mere hint of the concoction that lurked below. I did not like this beer at all, I imagine there are some who will love it. I understand why it was a 1 time release.

2.16/5  rDev -43.9%

Pours dark brown with a four finger tan head from a fairly gentle pour. Definitely over carbonated. Has an unusual aroma with roasted malt, chocolate, peppermint, licorice, and a variety of herbs. I can't begin to know how many different ones were used.

Also has an unusual taste with roasted malt, chocolate, peppermint, licorice, herbs, spices, and flowers. I know the unusual aroma and taste are from the Fernet barrels. I just wish there wasn't such a strong peppermint taste or smell. I have never been a big peppermint fan. It is fine in small doses, but this is too much for me.

Light bodied with high carbonation, and a strong peppermint aftertaste. This is a tough bottle to finish. Glad I don't have another one of these. I usually like or love everything Odell brews, but here is a strong exception to the rule.

2.75/5  rDev -28.6%

2.75/5  rDev -28.6%

2.88/5  rDev -25.2%

2.95/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

The beer is dark mahogany with a thick beige cap. The aroma is interesting and complex, offering mint, herbal teas, red wine, chocolate, cinnamon, prunes, figs. The flavor is dominated by mint and an odd herbal sweetness. A myriad of flavors struggle to cooperate. Dark fruits and booze with a weird bitter finish. Licorice and mint with raisins and chocolate. A small sample is more than enough. I'm not a fan and won't be returning to this one.

3.11/5  rDev -19.2%

Don't know if I got a bottle.that was turning or what. Moments after I took the cage off, the cork exploded out of the bottle. Out of a non-aggressive pour, I got mostly head and an ounce or two of liquid. Aroma and flavor are dominated by Fernet. Very little porter; Flavor was also on the tart side. I'm not a fan of Fernet, but I do have dear friends in Buenos Aires who love the stuff. I was hoping I could find a way thru this beer to like Fernet. No go. Oh well.

look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.37/5  rDev -12.5%

3.4/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.44/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Fernet Aged Porter from Odell Brewing Company