5 Barrel Pale Ale | Odell Brewing Company

Odell Brewing Company
Colorado, United States
odells.com

Style: English Pale Ale

The distinctive hop character of our 5 Barrel Pale Ale is due to the extraction of essential oils from select hops. We treat 5 Barrel Pale Ale to an infusion of fresh whole hop flowers in the Hop Back and the Fermentor, as well as four hop additions during the kettle boil. We like how this gives the beer a fresh, lively flavor and aroma.

Added by Todd on 03-09-2005

3.15/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

I was just chatting with Steve Thompson today on Facebook. I wasn't really chatting, but he posted a picture of the Odell wheat beer. I commented that Odell doesn't make a bad beer. I'm right. Try to find a beer they brew that isn't at least good… most are great. I am not usually fan of pale ales, but I am excited to see what this tastes like. Hopefully there are some hops in there. Cool story about where the name came from, so if nothing else we have that!

In the Glass: I wish you could see the head on this beer. I don't need a glass, I need a spoon! It is thick, white, and looks like a pillow sitting on top of this beer. I didn't pour it right, but still. Most beers don't produce such an impressive head. I am going to let that settle before I stick my nose in there.

UPDATE: After letting the head settle, the beer was practically "frozen" to the side of the glass. As I am swirling this around in the glass, the foam picks back up.

Nose: There are some hops there, but not a lot. I wasn't expecting a lot of hoppiness in the aroma, but had my fingers crossed for more than I am smelling. I am getting some herbal notes and maybe a little bit of spice. If you are new to pale ales, this is a good beer to just sit and smell. You can smell enough hops not to overwhelm your nostrils and you can get an idea of what a pale (bitter) beer will taste like.

Flavor: Considering what the beer smells like, I didn't expect it to have that much flavor. Your palate is just hit with fluffy hoppy goodness. The beer is also easy to drink, which means I could sit here and chug a few of these. This is a style that is popular in warmer climates because it's not too hoppy to destroy your palate, but is easy to drink and refreshing on a hot summer day. (Or a hot summer night here in Arizona.)

Mouthfeel: At first, you are hit with a lot of bubbles. I almost wonder if that is because of how I poured this. The head is gone, but it reminds me of a sip of Sprite. As the beer moves across the palate, it thins out and leaves a nice layer of flavor on your tongue leading to a nice, somewhat hoppy aftertaste.

Aftertaste: I like drinking India pale ales for the aftertaste. I am hop head, for lack of a better term. Pale ales are a great way for someone to be introduced to hops, as a lot of pales will use similar hop profiles. Brewers really get crazy when playing with an IPA recipe. But most pale ales will have a similar flavor. This is a typical example of this style, and while the aftertaste leaves some subtle hops behind, it isn't my favorite part of this beer. Too dry for a true hop experience.

Odell doesn't make a bad beer. Find me an Odell beer that isn't great, and I will drink it! Hopefully, when we start writing our book, we will be able to visit Odell and see things from inside the facility. If nothing else, we will go, tour the brewery, and just drink their beer!

3.67/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

On tap served in a pint glass at Waldo's pizza in KC

A - Clear amber/copper color, 2 fingers if sudsy white head that retains well and has some serious sheets of lacing going on.

S - Mild earthy hops with a muted caramel malt aroma.

T - Buttery caramel and pale malts, not too sweet, very balanced actually. Citrus hops and black tea play well off the malt. It's bready but in a clean way. Finishes with a woody hop bitterness.

M - Medium body with prickly carbonation.

Moderately hopped for the style a just a great looking beer. Aroma didn't really wow me. I enjoyed this and would drink again.

3.71/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This poured out as a nice clear orange color with a white head on top. The head leaves a great lacing on the glass and a thin retention over the beer. The smell of the beer has a mild hop and malt aroma that seems well balanced. The taste is much like the nose, it's got a nice maltiness as well have a hoppy bitterness. The flavors are good across the board on this beer. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a nice carbonation to it, very drinkable. Overall it's a good brew, very sessionable.

4.35/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from the bottle into a stemless wine glass.

A real nice classic orange amber, with a soapy but good two finger white head. Bubbles real nicely with lots of shampoo like retention, and clumps in valleys and peaks. Nice slow rising carbonation through a bronze amber body. Classic looking, a little bit of dullness, but pretty solid.

Really nice light toasty grains, and a little bit of orange marmalade fruity character. Grain rips quite a good bit too, a real inviting sense of barley.

Light malts hit the palate with big dry grains. Barley just rips and drys the palate and gives a real huge toasty aroma. Hop angle is nice and real subtle, with some herbal earth quality, and perhaps a hint of drying tea leaves in the finish. Lively carbonation that isn't distracting either.

Overall a real straight forward solid Odell creation, great stuff.

3.95/5  rDev +4.2%

Best By: 5/8/13
12oz bottle into tulip glass

A – Nice color, dark golden amber. Pours a fluffy 1" head that stays for a long time and leaves nice lacing.

S – Hops up front, nothing too citrusy though. Good bready malt undertones.

T – Caramel malts, bitter balanced hops. Grass and hay. This is very well balanced, and refreshing.

M – Crisp, clean and dry. What more could you want from this style.

O – Solid representation of the style, a nice balanced hoppiness to it. Could drink this one all day long.

5 Barrel Pale Ale from Odell Brewing Company