5 Barrel Pale Ale | Odell Brewing Company

Odell Brewing Company
Colorado, United States
odells.com

Style: English Pale Ale

The distinctive hop character of our 5 Barrel Pale Ale is due to the extraction of essential oils from select hops. We treat 5 Barrel Pale Ale to an infusion of fresh whole hop flowers in the Hop Back and the Fermentor, as well as four hop additions during the kettle boil. We like how this gives the beer a fresh, lively flavor and aroma.

Added by Todd on 03-09-2005

Liked:
3.81/5
Alströms:

3.15/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

I was just chatting with Steve Thompson today on Facebook. I wasn't really chatting, but he posted a picture of the Odell wheat beer. I commented that Odell doesn't make a bad beer. I'm right. Try to find a beer they brew that isn't at least good… most are great. I am not usually fan of pale ales, but I am excited to see what this tastes like. Hopefully there are some hops in there. Cool story about where the name came from, so if nothing else we have that!

In the Glass: I wish you could see the head on this beer. I don't need a glass, I need a spoon! It is thick, white, and looks like a pillow sitting on top of this beer. I didn't pour it right, but still. Most beers don't produce such an impressive head. I am going to let that settle before I stick my nose in there.

UPDATE: After letting the head settle, the beer was practically "frozen" to the side of the glass. As I am swirling this around in the glass, the foam picks back up.

Nose: There are some hops there, but not a lot. I wasn't expecting a lot of hoppiness in the aroma, but had my fingers crossed for more than I am smelling. I am getting some herbal notes and maybe a little bit of spice. If you are new to pale ales, this is a good beer to just sit and smell. You can smell enough hops not to overwhelm your nostrils and you can get an idea of what a pale (bitter) beer will taste like.

Flavor: Considering what the beer smells like, I didn't expect it to have that much flavor. Your palate is just hit with fluffy hoppy goodness. The beer is also easy to drink, which means I could sit here and chug a few of these. This is a style that is popular in warmer climates because it's not too hoppy to destroy your palate, but is easy to drink and refreshing on a hot summer day. (Or a hot summer night here in Arizona.)

Mouthfeel: At first, you are hit with a lot of bubbles. I almost wonder if that is because of how I poured this. The head is gone, but it reminds me of a sip of Sprite. As the beer moves across the palate, it thins out and leaves a nice layer of flavor on your tongue leading to a nice, somewhat hoppy aftertaste.

Aftertaste: I like drinking India pale ales for the aftertaste. I am hop head, for lack of a better term. Pale ales are a great way for someone to be introduced to hops, as a lot of pales will use similar hop profiles. Brewers really get crazy when playing with an IPA recipe. But most pale ales will have a similar flavor. This is a typical example of this style, and while the aftertaste leaves some subtle hops behind, it isn't my favorite part of this beer. Too dry for a true hop experience.

Odell doesn't make a bad beer. Find me an Odell beer that isn't great, and I will drink it! Hopefully, when we start writing our book, we will be able to visit Odell and see things from inside the facility. If nothing else, we will go, tour the brewery, and just drink their beer!

3.18/5  rDev -16.5%

12oz bottle

A: No note

S: Not much character. Nice pine-floral hop.

T: Cooked grain, hop bitter with a strange amount of metallic/iron flavor and aftertaste.

M: Loose with strong carbonation

D: Not really a spectacular pale ale. The aftertaste is really hard to ignore.

3.18/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.19/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Well thats an interesting color for a pale ale, this one is darker than average, auburn, like amber and brown together at last. Carbonation was lower, but I guess that goes with the English pale ale territory. Aroma wasn't much.

Taste was that Burton yeast and wood vibe. O'Dells definitely left the hops out, or went old school low alpha acid on them. Not a repeat purchase, I guess good for people who don't like hoppy pale ales, somewhat of a niche market.

3.2/5  rDev -16%

3.2/5  rDev -16%

I had this at a pub in Denver. The locals were raving about it; I thought it was good, but not enough to make me rave. A rather mediocre orangish color, with no head and no lacing. Rather mild nose for a PA. On the palate there is a nice maltiness, perhaps more than most American PAs have. Good carbonation makes this sparkly and refreshing. The best part of the taste is a nice pronounced bitter finish and aftertaste.

3.21/5  rDev -15.7%

This is a fairly average pale ale. Nothing too special going on here. Kind of an amber brown color with a tan head. The nose has a subtle malt profile under a citrus hop presence. The taste has hops up front and settles to some mild caramel malts. The average body is refreshing and has decent carbonation. A good pale ale, but not the most interesting.

3.22/5  rDev -15.5%

look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Reviewed from notes. The appearance has a slightly hazy orange brown body with a one finger white foamy head that dies within thirty seconds. There is a slight amount of carbonation is seen rising. The smell has some light caramel, malts and bitter hops. The taste is slightly sweet, caramel aftertaste, dry finish. The palate is light and sessionable. Carbonation seems a bit higher than most English Pale Ales, but not overwhelming. Overall, this is a pretty good EPA that I would probably have again.

3.25/5  rDev -14.7%

Pours a clear orange gold with a ragged white head that leaves little to no lacing.

Smells of mild hops and pale malts.

Tastes of mild citric hops with a pale malt presence. Hops are understated and not to my liking. There is an earthy finish to it that adds a little.

Mouthfeel is medium, but the carbonation is too loose and fizzy.

5 Barrel Pale Ale from Odell Brewing Company