Double Pilsner

Gots
SCORE
Very Good
Double PilsnerDouble Pilsner
Notes: The wise eyes of tradition focus on our brewhouse as we concoct our famed Double Pilsner. Refreshing and delicate yet bold and assertive, its golden straw color leaves nowhere for imperfections to hide. Scents of pilsner malt and light floral hop aromas combine with a rich malt flavor to create a balanced and warming Imperial Pilsner. Rest assured, you’ve made a wise choice.
Reviews: 186 | Ratings: 454
3.07/5  rDev -20.5%

LOOKS: A rich, fairly clear golden, in color, with a finger of white foam that recedes quickly to a ring. Mild lacing down the glass.
AROMA: Hmm...Let's start with honey, and then there is a smell underneath that I'm not too keen about. Not the usual grassy type Noble hop usually found in a Pils. I can't really explain it, so I won't try.
TASTE: Sweet honey first, followed immediately by that 'other' quality, and then back to an almost sickly sweet 'honey.'
FEEL: Medium full body, well carbonated, a tad sticky, drier on finish.
OA: Not my cup of tea.

4.02/5  rDev +4.1%

Haven’t had this in ages, and I missed it. An unusual and fun beer.

Poured from a bottle into a tulip glass. Beautiful golden yellow color with a creamy white head and great lacing. Sweet grass smell. A bit fruity with sme vanilla. Hard to describe but good! I hope I can find it more often.

3.16/5  rDev -18.1%

Pours out a slightly hazy straw color with a two finger off-white head. Retention is excellent and leaves rings of lacing. Carbonation looks lacking.

Sweet corn and tropical fruits in the nose pineapple comes to mind. Theres a pleasant floral bitterness with some grains. Smells heavy.

Extremely sweet. There is in fact a corn sweetness in it that I don't care for. Bitterness is low compared to the nose and theres a lingering medicina charater that isnt wanted.

The mouthfeel is thick and syrupy. Carbonation is low.

Maybe I just didnt get this beer. I can finish it I just don't see myself ever wanting to drink another. Not even for free let alone 5 dollars a bottle.

3.83/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Pours a foggy orange-yellow with a finger of white head. Not much head formation, and doesn't retain very well. Lacing is thick and dense though. Aroma is orange zest, lemongrass, grape jelly, dank, herbal and floral hops and pilsner malts. Aromatics is dense and confused. Flavor profile is orange zest, lemongrass, melon, and grape jelly. Hops are dense, hitting notes of herbal and floral. Pilsner, bread, and biscuit malts form a slightly doughy, undercooked base. Mouth feel is medium-thick with a velvety texture that imparts a slight effervescent that livens it up a bit. Overall, dense pilsner notes, but at the cost of being a little confused.

Served in a 12oz snifter from a 12oz bottle.

3.72/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a clear straw yellow with a thick white pillow of a head that recedes slowly and leaves gorgeous lacing. Aroma is lemon and biscuit. Flavor is very sweet, honey with a touch of lemon, not enough bitterness to round it out. Feel is thick and chewy. Overall a fun beer even if it's overly sweet.

Listen ppl. I’ve never been a beer guy. I drink whiskey and rum..until I tried Odell’s Double Pilsner. It was an awakening for me. Like a white girl that just read 50 shades of grey. It was like...the first time I heard the Beatles.

I just moved to Texas and loved this beer so much I’ve been trying to order it but it’s not available in stores yet. I may even bathe in it.

3.73/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Right off the bat this one had an almost hazy yellow appearance similar to a hefeweizen. Strange. Hoping it had lots of hop matter in it contributing to the questionable appearance. Did give good retention and lace notes though. Aroma was definitely hoppy, mild lemon notes behind that.

Taste kicks down continued hop presence and substantial bitterness. Body stays light, relatively highly carbonated. Hid the alcohol pretty well.

I definitely liked this, started out concerned about the appearance but it overcame that in every other category.

3.27/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours a rich, golden colour. Smells like clean, cereal malts, and slightly sweet. Tastes a bit sweet, medium-bodied, and fresh malts. Very typical pilsner tastes, but much more intense and heavier.

4.5/5  rDev +16.6%

L: Pours brilliant gold with a thin white foam collar.
S: Spice and light grains, traces of floral.
T: Rich malt flavors – bread to light biscuit - seasoned with a strong hop accent. Also some alcohol in the taste. Medium dry.
F: Medium body, medium to medium low carbonation.
O: Smooth and clean double pilsner – excellent beer.

My favorite beer Odell makes.

It's essentially the perfect balance of malt and light hops, with the strength to get you where you wanna go.

I like it because it is basically a balanced 'beer' flavor. Plus it has the coolest label I've ever seen.

OK, I'm not a experienced beer-rater. I just know that this is one of the first beers I've had that really made me pay attention and think, "Man that tastes great."
I had one other Pilsener Bohemian style and I decided then that I was going to start learning about beers and which kinds I liked. This was my starting point getting serious about the taste of beer.
I may find better in the future, but for today, this is one of the two beers that got me started paying attention. So, for now, I have a loyalty to Pilsener Bohemian Style and a couple of breweries.

3.6/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A: This pours a medium straw-gold, very clear, with a magnificent head, about an inch tall, thick, dense, and lasting.
S: Aroma is disappoint, relatively, with very light malt and not much hops.
T: Very heavy malt flavor--it masks the hoppiness, which isn't in a good balance at all. Sweet, malty beers aren't pilsners.
M: Way too thick. They should have lightened it up a lot more.

Not a well-done beer. Not sure who this is supposed to appeal to: pilsners are one of my favorite styles, but this is not a pilsner.

3.92/5  rDev +1.6%

Bought a single from Cost Plus and chilled it in the fridge for about two hours. Bottle says best by September 26, and as most will already know, label on this has a sort of Americana tapestry owl image, and looks totally badass. I've been wanting to try it for a long time, but it's a seasonal and I don't but too many 4-packs so this has gone untried for several years.

Poured into a Bulleit bourbon glass, gold in color, totally clear, no head active carbonation. Smells a little skunky with pez-like berry and malt. Sour yeast, sweet, herbal. Tastes about the same, very sweet with a berry character that morphs into a mildly bitter finish. Carbonation is more lively than expected, and this does have a bit of a hot mouthfeel, but the alcohol is really not present in the flavor. This is really clean - if I was being served this at a bar not knowing what it was I would probably pound this until I fell out of my chair, and at 8.1%, this would probably not take long.

Ummm...amazing? I really, really like it, however I will say that I don't know that it's leaps and bounds ahead of a good standard pilsner, and in the realm of doubles, I think I liked Uinta's Crooked Smile a bit better. Excellent take on the style, though, and i would totally get it again. It's in my 4-pack club now.

2.96/5  rDev -23.3%

On tap at D&T in Houston.

A: Pours a chilled hazed golden/orange color which persists even after this warms a bit. A minimal white head forms, and recedes in a second. Not much lace.
S: Sweet, lightly breaded malts up front. Then very fruity and hoppy in the nose. Plenty of esters. Maybe some odd spice in the nose?
T: Lightly sweet and sugary malts. Then the fruity hops take over. Mango, passion fruits even. Fruity esters as well. Not much more is going on, and really has no resemblance to a Pilsner in any sense. Not bad if you think of it as a slightly sweet DIPA.
M/D: A full body with low carbonation. Not nearly enough crisp, dry bite with to much sweetness. A slow sipper, but kind of enjoyable. I got trough the pint, but probably am not getting anymore.

If I forget this is suppose to be any kind of lager, it is just a middle of the road DIPA. I am not sure what a Double Pilsner is suppose to be, but this is not what I have in mind. Fails miserably on style points. Really just an average DIPA that happens to be made with a lager yeast that seems to be fermented at warmer than normal temperature.

On draft at the Odell Brewery June 2013

A - Clear golden, 1/2 finger of head, tons of sticky lace left on glass

A - Huge malt character, pilsnerish. Bit of a hop kick too.

T - Sweet and tasty! Malty.

M - Well carbonated, smooth.

O - Perfect take on a double pilsner: sweet, malty, easy to drink.

3.75/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Crystal clear straw colored pour with light carbonation and a white one-finger head. Grass and bread in the aroma. Taste has grassy hops, butter, bread, lemon, and malt. Very smooth and creamy flavor. Medium bodied but drinks very easy.

3.68/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured like a dense amber cloud, very lite head, one finger lacing, a few bubbles very little percolation. Mouth feel Bohemian pilsner, for sure. Taste refreshingly bold. At 8.1 ACL exceptionally smooth. As the owl on the label stares into eyes, for pilsner drinkers, a wise choice. Cheers

3.09/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

From notes.

12oz bottle purchased at Pilgrim's in Coeur d'Alene. According to the label, this was either brewed on or best by 9/20/13.

Poured a clear, yellow-gold color, with a creamy white-colored head. Spotty lace.

Grassy hop aroma and bready malts in the nose. There was an odd, unplaceable aroma in the background.

The flavor was mostly malty, with some grassy hop bitterness, and...veggies? Weird vegetable oil-like off-flavor really barges into the taste about midway through.

Thin bodied, with a bland, watery mouthfeel.

Even without the off-flavor, this beer wasn't much to be impressed with. Don't think I'll have another.

4.24/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured a beautiful golden yellow with two fingers of pure white head. It looks like what a quintessential lager/pilsner beer should look like, like every picture in media one has ever seen. Excellent. Scents of pilsner malt sweetness, Bohemian hops and some very slight citrus. A nose very similar to many a pilsner, but with a unique, American twist. I like it. Flavors of grapefruit, grapefruit pith, citrus and crystal malt sweetness, but with a nice Bohemian hop character present as well. It balances the bitterness with the sweetness as a good pilsner should and is quite pleasant in it's taste. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation. A bit heavier than a normal pilsner, but fitting an American Imperial Pilsner. It was still quite easy to drink and was not unpleasant. Overall this was a unique, yet familiar beer. It had the hallmarks of the classic pilsner, but with the twist of American Craft. I greatly enjoyed it, and would go back to it again.

4.11/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A- Looks like an inviting pilsner. Golden color with a white head that hangs around throughout the drink. Clean

S- Sweet pilsner malt and subtle earthy hops meld together nicely. Not overly grainy like some pilsners tend to be.

T- Sweet and wonderfully malt forward. Buttery and juicy. Full flavor. Earthy, herbal hops give for a late spice and make for great balance. Peppery almost.

M- Love the feel. Alcohol is subtle with no esters at all. Creamy yet crisp. Rich. Light and so refreshing.

O- Paired with a spicy burger at The Foundry in Westport, KC. Simply put, my favorite pils ever.

3.49/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Fluffy, three-finger head. Plenty of carbonation. Clear, golden color.

S: This is where this beer is slightly lacking; I can't detect any major aromas. It just has a clean, crisp scent.

T: A little syrupy when it first hits the tongue but in a good way. Heavy maltiness with some booziness towards the end.

M: Crisp, clean and refreshing with a lot of carbonation.

O: I'm not a pilsner fan by any means but this one is really good. It has the crisp and refreshing characteristics of a pilsner but isn't watery or boring. It could use a bit more complexity in the smell and taste department but I would still drink this again.

2.72/5  rDev -29.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

there is something off about this beer. I love pilsners and I seek them out as much as possible. I also really dig most of the brews from Odell. This one however, the Double Pils is a disappointment. I recently had very fresh on tap and fresh in the bottle and in both cases the alcohol imparted a medicine like taste and smell. I don't enjoy it and will not buy this one again. it promises to be much better for a Double Pils from Odell. maybe it's the most recent batch.

2.98/5  rDev -22.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.75

Poured from 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: yellow-golden hue with a little touch of haze and a lazy effervescence. Head is half a finger of pillowy white foam. Not bad, but not particularly inspiring.

Smell: mostly sour graininess with a little bit of sweet malt. OK, I guess, but not my favorite.

Taste: malt has a bit of a sickly sweetness, although the sour graininess is toned down a bit from the aroma. Strong Pilsners can be real hit-or-miss; this is more like a 10% Lithuanian lager than a crisp Pilsner.

Mouthfeel: at least this is OK. Medium-heavy body combines with a good carbonation to yield a satisfying creaminess. I just wish it tasted better.

Overall: OK, this beer is not horrible. But it really does not float my boat.

3.4/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Enjoyed out of a 12 oz brown bottle at The Foundry. It was poured into bulbous Belgian-style tulip glass that was almost more like a snifter in shape.

Appearance - For some reason, my waiter did an extremely gentle pour, and so there was barely a line of stark white head around the edge of the glass, with spotty film over the rest of the body, which is your Pils-standard golden yellow, crisp and clear.

Smell - Biscuity and malty. Some overtones of phenolic fruit characteristics, but those are in the background and hard to pick up. I even sense some of the alcoholic esters as well, but again faint. Most of the aroma is dominated by bready notes.

Taste - To me, the higher ABV is not well disguised, which essentially is the key to producing a good double pils. In addition to the heat from the alcohol, the grain backbone is dominant, with some counterpoint from bittering hops. Again the generic fruit elements are present, lending some sweetness to the beer.

Mouthfeel - Crisp and clean, hovering on the light side of medium body. Carbonation is moderate to light as well.

Overall, probably a one-timer for me. The style intrigues me, mostly because the first double pils I ever had was fantastic (and unfortunately a one-time release) and I've been searching for an equivalent ever sense. This definitely was not it, in spite of the pretty snappy looking label.

3.32/5  rDev -14%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Drank three out of a four pack over the course of two evenings.

Appearance: Poured (into a flute, then later into a mug) a light gold with fluffy two finger head which slowly dissipated over a few minutes time. Visible carbonation in the glass, lots of bubbles.

Aroma: Cereals, biscuity notes. Maybe a little bit of herbal spiciness (had to search for it)?

Taste: Well balanced mixture of crisp, rounded grain flavor and hop bitterness, that spiciness I thought I smelled showed up as well. A little bit of warming alcohol in the finish. Malt sweetness became more noticeable as the beer warmed.

Mouthfeel: Crisp, with medium carbonation.

Overall: I wouldn't consider myself at all knowledgeable on pilseners, but I found this to be an enjoyable if somewhat unexciting beer. I found myself wanting a bit more complexity, especially for something that was 8% Abv, though I appreciated the hop flavors the more I drank it. Very drinkable for 8%. Paired pretty well with Chinese take-out.

Double Pilsner from Odell Brewing Company