Odell IPA | Odell Brewing Company

Style: American IPA

Added by rowew on 03-02-2007

Ratings: 3,090 |  Reviews: 737

3.02/5  rDev -28.8%

Poured into a 4oz sampling glass at a promo event.

A: Orange/amber color, with a thin white head that didn't last or lace well.

S: There was a floral bouquet of citrus (pineapple, pink grapefruit, etc), but it was way overpowering by sweet orange, as if someone had mixed it with O.J. concentrate. Was a little nervous to take a sip.

T: No evidence of hop bitterness whatsoever, except for a dryness on the aftertaste, that I can only attribute to a hop presence. The flavor, like the nose, was WAY overpowered by orange/tangerine sickly-sweet flavor. Given all of the positive reviews I read, I was WAY disappointed.

M: Medium-bodied and decently carbonated.

D: I just couldn't get past the orange flavor dominance. If I wanted orange juice, I would've asked for Tropicana.

I really hope that this was just a bad batch, because I intend on giving it a second shot.

3.11/5  rDev -26.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.17/5  rDev -25.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Best before 09/17/13B. 7.0% ABV confirmed. Acquired as part of the Odell Montage Summer variety box. Expectations are above average; Odell is probably the best brewery in Colorado. Reviewed live. 12 fl oz brown glass bottle with appealing label art and branded pry-off cap served into a nonical pint glass in me gaff in high altitude Castle Rock, Colorado.

Served cold, straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a three finger wide head of soft complexion, nice frothiness, and good (~7+ minute) retention - pretty solid for 7% ABV. Nice thickness. Slightly creamy. No real lacing as the head slowly recedes. A nice head for an IPA.

Body colour is a clear copper. Translucent. Nice vibrance. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

A nice appearance for an IPA - but it's rather standard fare. Not unique or special, but there are no overt flaws. Looking forward to trying it.

Sm: Hop bitterness is evident, emerging from oily hop character, peachy hop esters, floral hops, and somewhat dank herbal hops. A pale malt sweetness lends needed balance. Tangerine. Orange as it warms; the fruity esters definitely release more as it comes to temperature. A clean pleasant pungent aroma with some interesting elements. Aroma is mild in terms of strength.

Overall, I'm looking forward to trying it.

T: Peach, tangerine, light orange, and pale malt sweetness combine to form a brew that comes off a bit imbalanced. Though luckily no overt naked hop bitterness really comes through. The oily hops, floral hops, herbal hops, and fruity estery hops are interesting choices but don't seem ideal. Admittedly, I'm rather surprised this made the top 250 - as much as I love Odell. Light honey. Maybe some clove. A bit of grapefruit zest. The fruity notes veer too far into tropical territory for my tastes. I like it in a general sense, but the flavour profile is far from amongst the best I've experienced in the style. As the second act tapers and the climax hits, it grows more resinous and herbal.

There're some good choices here, but the end result is not a subtle balanced IPA. It does have a fair amount of complexity. I'm not blown away, but it's quite pleasant and drinkable. Flavorful and tasty stuff. Depth of flavour is above average, as is the intensity of flavour. Flavour duration is average.

Mf: Lighty oily. Dank. Nectary and sticky. Smooth and wet. Good thickness. Decent presence on the palate. Complements the flavour profile fairly well, but doesn't come off custom-tailored to it. It does a good job at facilitating delivery of the flavours.

Dr: Drinkable and enjoyable. Hides its ABV well. It's a solid IPA from the brewery that's probably my favourite in my home state, but I really don't know that its top 250 position is warranted. Good but not great. Certainly not one of the best IPAs I've tried. I'm glad this brings more attention to one of the most underrated breweries out there, and I'd definitely buy it again, but it's just not exemplary. I could kill a six pack in a night, but I'd sooner reach for something like Racer 5 or Sculpin.

B-

Would pair well with cannabis (if that's your scene).

Serve cold. Drank just fine out of my nonical pint glass.

***
01/03/15: brief impressions.

Pours a healthy beige head which sticks around long enough to show you this means business (~8+ mins). Body colour is a vibrant clean copper.

Aroma brings the resins and pale malts, but also some off-putting soapiness indicative this spent far too long in primary. Dank and herbal notes fill it out. A hint of bubblegum too.

Taste is underwhelming; the hop profile just doesn't do it for me. Not as resinous as the aroma promised, to its detriment. The hops don't match the malts, and I guess ultimately it's a bit too sweet. I dislike the soapy aftertaste, which evokes lemon detergent.

It's a bit scratchy on the palate, and isn't as fresh, soft, or crisp as would be ideal.

A drinkable IPA from what may well be my home state's best brewery, but not a world-class offering by any means. I prefer their Loose Leaf Pale.

C+

***
10/24/15:

The hop profile isn't bad, but it's just not my preferred hop profile. Chalk it up to personal preferences, but this is still a C+ at best. Absolutely a drinkable beer, though, and very enjoyable and pleasant.

C+

3.18/5  rDev -25%

A very malty ipa. Comes off too sweet with the malty flavor. Kinda bittersweet with the hops. Drinkable but not something to go out and get.

3.19/5  rDev -24.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Another one of those auburn colored ipas. 1/3" head, good lace down the glass. Aroma was earthy and not popping with hops of the pine, tropical or citrus variety.

Woody impressions, malty, had me guessing if this was an English ipa? Or just old? Plenty of crystal malt giving caramel impressions. Slightly boozy.

I dont get the love for this, will try again since O'dells is one of my fave CO breweries, but I dunno man.

3.2/5  rDev -24.5%

Not bad, had better. Went down smooth.

3.21/5  rDev -24.3%

On Tap

The Fox and Hound
Peoria, AZ

Dark copper in color with a moderately sized light khaki colored head that leaves lines of lace down the glass.

A bready aroma complemented by a bit of caramel and bittering hops.

The hop flavor comes in the way of a moderate level of bitterness, along with bready, slight caramel, sweet malts. Well balanced and drinkable, but unexciting.

Medium bodied with moderate-high carbonation.

Middle of the road IPA.

3.22/5  rDev -24.1%

Had such high expectations, but this was literally just "okay." Poured on draft at Capone's, but scent and taste was truly just pedestrian; nothing special at all. I really hope it was a bad tap line or something, and will try this again when I see it somewhere else. But so disappointed in this one.

3.22/5  rDev -24.1%

Thanks to the one fine BA, jtrockschalk, for allowing this brew to cross state lines during a recent, most excellent, trade.

This IPA suffers from something of an identity crisis. I grabbed it by the front, tossed it into a glass, & started sniffing around for clues. IPA, it said, distinctly but softly. Looks like an IPA, smells like an IPA, must be an IPA. My deductive reasoning skills are finely honed.

Tastes like...an IPA that's looking to be a bit to finely balanced. Too much malt, I growled. While the hops were there, so, too, was the malt, & an underlying (with an emphasis on the "lying") bit of mustiness that I didn't dig, but marked it a bit suspect. This beer hasn't been hanging with a high-brow crowd, if you know what I mean.

I'll let it off with some decent marks for now. Not as innocent, nor as clean, as I'd been led to believe. I'll keep my eye on him.

3.24/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: cream colored head recedes slowly, heavy amount of lacing. Color is slightly cloudy amber/orange. Some carbonation streaming.
Aroma: combination of bready malt and earthy hops.
Mouthfeel: medium with a mostly dry finish.
Finish: well balanced between the sweet barley malt and a fairly aggressive citrus and earthy hop presence.
Overall: enjoyable and drinkable IPA. Good representation of an American IPA.

From 12oz bottle to Bruges hybrid glass on 2/2/12
*From notes

-- Thanks, John --

A: Clean, pale golden. A standard pour yields a white two finger head. Decent retention and lacing.

S: Lemon, and lots of it. Hints of Pine-Sol and malt.

T: Again, more pine. If you had to classify it, I'd certainly call this more of an "east coast" style IPA. Not overly fruity, it's more resin based then anything.

M: Weak. It's thin, which really is a detriment to the beer.

O: Odell's IPA is fairly middle of the road. It doesn't stand out in a strong field. I'm beginning to think I'm not a fan of Odell's suds.

look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25