Odell IPA | Odell Brewing Company

Style: American IPA

Added by rowew on 03-02-2007

Reviews: 714 | Ratings: 2,981
4.45/5  rDev +4.7%

A - A very nice orange hazy color with a big frothy head after a vigorous pour. Some lasing and little carb bubbles.

S - A nice amount of citrus and floral hops with some bready malt

T - Oh so good. A lot of citrus and pine. Flowery hops and malt make the finish.

M - Nice and crisp, goes down very smooth.

D - This is an IPA i find myself drinking all the time. One of the best, if not the best IPAs available in Kansas.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A- This beer had a great look for an Ipa. After pouring a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass It had a cloudy orange and copper hue, with at thin head on top.
S- The smell was great. Nice hop blast. Lots of citrus.
t- citrus, spice, pine, mango, pineapple finish. Some green herbal notes, too.
m- very drinkable.
O- I will seek this out next time I'm in an area they distribute to.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Had a pint with dinner at the Tap House in Steamboat Springs last night for the HH price of $3.00. Always have to try it when available on-tap!

Beer poured a golden orange with a nice white head that left lacing behind.

Nose was wonderful, citrus hops were wonderfully strong.

Taste was extremely well balanced, a nice solid caramel and pale malt backbone was overtaken by grapefruit and pine hops.

Mouthfeel was medium bodied and smooth.

Overall this IPA is superb, definitely world class!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A- Pours orange gold with one and a half fingers of white head. Attractive lacing down the glass.

S - Strong hoppy and floral character with fruit notes, sweet pineapple, grapefruit and lychee.

T - Lots of floral and bright citrus hop flavor. Bitterness follows as it releases, incredibly hoppy yet well balanced.

M - Well carbonated and exceptionally smooth. Slight mouth coating and a light honey sweetness along with the fresh bitterness

D - Great balance of flavors, very bright citrus and a floral aroma, well hidden ABV. Expertly crafted, I found this one to be right on the mark.

12 oz. bottle,

A: Pours amber with a soft finger of white head, good lace.

S: Grapefruit, some orange rind, lemon, lots of floral citrus from the hops.

T: I get a lot of orange, sweet orange, tangerine upfront with a hint of pine and cedar bark. Interesting flavour, it's got a step in the pine, the citrus and the tropical but doesn't stay in each category for long. Just a tad maltier than most San Diego IPAs, but I'm fine with that here. I'm on the verge of giving this a 5, but I've had Duet so I'll hold back.

M: Medium-bodied, firm carbonation, dry, nice aftertaste.

D: This is just a damn good IPA. Shame I only have the one bottle, I'd love to have it again. Any hophead would clearly enjoy a bottle of this. Drinkability is off the charts.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

thanks to rsquared618 for the extra!

12oz bottle, with date of 080709. tasted in early/mid may 2009.

classic pale golden amber, with honey orange tones. clear. 2-finger off-white head, fades slowly to very thin but constant layer. great lacing, almost curtain-like later down the glass.

aroma: fresh pine, citrus and grapefruit (rind and zest), touch of apple esters and apple skin, into caramel maltiness. hint of peach. faintest trace of diacetyl. a nice yet complex balance.

taste: great balance of fresh citrusy hops and light piney resins, with caramel maltiness and fruity esters. bitterness is moderate, with crispness and very light resins.

medium body, smooth with mild resins again in finish. tingly, moderate carbonation can be fluffy.

simple but good. thanks again!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle into my Sam Adams glass. It poured amber in color with a full, frothy, white head filling the top inch of the glass. The head faded to a thin layer, but left some great lacing as I drank it. pretty nice looking beer of the style. Very nice looking beer of the style.

The aroma has a very nice and juicy hop profile to it. Mango, peach and pineapple all seem to come out in it. Just a little grapefruit like bitterness. Overall a excellent aroma, I can tell already this beer is going to fit my tastes very well.

The taste has a nice tropical fruit like hoppiness to it as well. I get more of the pineapple and mango to it up front with some bitter citrus rind like flavors coming out in the finish. Very nice hoppy flavor to it.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Overall I thought it was an excellent beer. I really love the tropical, fruity, juicy type hoppy flavors and this one brought those flavors out very nicely. They definitely nailed my personal tastes in IPA's on this one. Loved it.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bottle to Dogfish snifter.

A: Pours a finger of white foamy, rich head that slowly dissapates into a thinner, but still rich looking, layer of foam. Leaves great lacing and there is alot of lively looking streams of co2. A warm and slightly hazy golden straw colored body. Beautiful!

S: An intense aroma hoppy aroma floods the nose and baths the senses in grapefruit and citrus juices, with slight hints of grainy sweetness hidden under the wave of pungent hop oils. This smells awesome!

T: Citrus, grapefruit, even some peachy notes dominate the tastebuds. Also a surprisingly easy to handle bitterness rounds out the drink along with some sweet caramel notes from the malt. Just a slight tinge of booze.

M: Medium bodied and very smooth and creamy. Great carbonation.

O: This is probably one of the best IPAs I've ever had! Really utilizes the fruitier side of hops to create an extremely flavorful and satisfying drink. Too bad I don't have easy access to this stuff or I would have in my fridge all of the time.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Growler purchased at the brewery tap house 6/20/08.

Poured into standard pint glass.

Wow. I love the look and smell of this one. Great citrus fruity hop aroma, with a clear amber color. You get hit with the hops right up front on first taste, but the malt background is solid enough to hold your interest beyond the first kick of the hop. Surprisingly clean on the finish after all the bitterness up front.

Just a damn solid IPA from a little known, and likely underappreciated, Colorado brewery.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Really great stuff! Nice and smooth even though the hops are pretty pronounced on the front and tail end. Very drinkable. Wish we got distro of this in Iowa

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

L: Gold in color, thin foam of white on top. By can see the carbonation rising in it, nice lacing.
S: citrus and hops. Lots of both
T: crisp, citrusy and not overly hoppy.
M: thin but still pleasant
O: best IPA I've ever had. I'm a stout guy, but this beer is excellent!

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

From notes on 3/30/15

On tap at Odell. Another excellent example of a solid IPA. Very good. Lots of bitterness with tons of flowery aroma and taste.

4.46/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4/21 bottle date poured into a Sam perfect pint

Hazy orange look with a clean one finger white head. Already looking like an IPA you want to start drinking.

The smell is bright and vibrant. No particular scent dominates with some citrus/fruit along with a light resiny/grassy hint. This probably is even brighter on draft or super fresh.

The taste is quite unique. Maybe Jai Alai being the only other IPA I've had with such apparent tropical fruit flavor like mango, orange, and pineapple. The malt balances the beer nicely but the hops still shine. Not much bitterness other than balancing out the taste. Really well made.

I'd highly recommend this as a go-to IPA. I can't get it here in Illinois, but I'm glad I got to try it and wouldn't hesitate to order on vacation.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Awesome beer. Have had the pleasure of having this numerous times fresh in town, Fort Collins. It's the Sculpin of the Midwest.

Classic west-coast, tropical, pine aroma and flavor. Goes down really smooth, not much bitterness lingering at all. Lots of rich, fruit coming through, like over-ripe peaches or pineapple.

Classic beer, must try. Always a go-to.

4.46/5  rDev +4.9%

Another top shelf offering Odell! Just what are those guys doing over there in Colorado. This is my second eye opener from them. This IPA has a character that can be sharply distinguished from others. It had the sharp accent of a particular resinous flavor that I have mulled over for the last 20 minutes struggling to identify it. Unfortunately...I had only one bottle and it was gone before I could nail it.

At first I had wanted to say pumpkin rind but that wasn't it - so I'll have to settle on pine cone resin - in my fading afterglow until I buy a six pack.

A = Hazy amber
S = Herbal, pine
T = Sharply resinous...I'm favoring towards describing it as woody pine cone
M = Perfect IPA mouthfeel

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Here is where Beer Advocate is your friend. I was in a hurry in Texas awaiting to go back to Boston, and I wanted to get a great beer not sold in the NE. Searched SPECS and found this beer and was impressed with the 100 from the brothers. So clearly I bought it and will need to give it the same score

I am sitting alone in my poorly lit living room, so the beer once again looks a copper color. In the dark, everything either looks dark or copper to me. I accidentally drink many things. This also had some moderate lacing and looks great. Of course a hoppy smell, but also a great deal of fruit....grapefruit I suppose. Anyways, took a sip and it is a big hoppy blast. This was just a perfect amount of bitterness and zest - a great beer. I do think it has a slightly odd after taste - can't put my finger on it, but I still like it.

Nice carbonation and a pleasant beer on an oddly very hot day in Boston. I could have more, but alas, I am lazy and don't feel like walking to the fridge.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This poured with about an inch head of tiny bubbles that sank after a couple minutes leaving a thin layer across the top. The beer is a glowing gold-orange and if you look really close you can spot some fine sediment floating around in there. Smells awesome; really peachy and fruity - in fact for an IPA I'm not really getting any pine-like aromas at all, just peach and orange citrus. The flavor tastes peachy right up front, followed by grapefruit as the hop bitters start to work in there - nice balance. Carbonation is medium-low, and the mouthfeel is quite smooth. Overall I think this is a fantastic IPA.

4.47/5  rDev +5.2%

A - Golden color, fluffy white head, moderate carbonation, clear with a bit of particulate matter.

S - Lots of hop aroma, citrus and sweet floral. A bit of sweet malt comes through at the end and a touch of toastiness.

T - Almost exactly like the aroma, the hops come on strong but never become overwhelming, they are in balance with the malt. The hops are a nice combination of citrus and floral, with makes it a bit more complex than a lot of the straight forward citrus bombs that a lot of AIPAs are. A little sweetness from the malt finishes things up.

M - Moderate body which is balances nicely with the higher alcohol content and hop presence.

O - This is an excellent AIPA. It isn't just a hop bomb although there are a lot of IBUs there, nor is it super bitter, there is a lot of flavor and aroma from these hops. The hops are a nice combination of varieties which adds some nice complexity. The malt does take a back seat, as it should in an IPA, but it is there and lends a nice amount of body to make this IPA, which is a bit on the strong side, perfectly balanced. Will definitely be looking for this one again.

4.47/5  rDev +5.2%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Nonic Imperial Pint.

Appearance: Clear orange-gold with moderate eggshell white head that leaves nice lacing rings.

Smell: Mostly pine and grapefruit, with spice and light toasted malts.

Taste: Very hoppy with pine, grapefruit and some tropical fruit. The toasted malts are very dry and almost a little sour. Ends somewhat bitter and spicy. Fantastic balance, or is it a lack thereof?

Feel: Moderately low carbonation, medium almost oily body that is fairly creamy and smooth. Very dry sour finish.

Drinkability: Extremely good IPA. This beer makes me ecstatic that Odell came to Minnesota.

4.47/5  rDev +5.2%

A: golden orange. Hop haze with a full finger of head. Spotty lacing.

S: fresh tangerines.. mango, papaya.. touch of pine as well.. small touch of bready malts deep in there.

T: big orange flavor upfront.. some grassiness leads to a nice grapefruit taste.. some tropical fruitiness as well.. finish is a clean almost spearmint flavor with some grapefruit & pine resin bitterness. Very good.

Mf: good soft coating with a medium body. Good carbonation.

O: one of my favorite single IPAs!

4.47/5  rDev +5.2%

Pours a light, copper color into glass producing a frothy head. Clear as day. Cascade hops bombard the nose, producing an aroma of citrus--particularly grapefruit. Grapefruit is first on the palate. As the beer warms i detect a bit of woodsiness/oakiness to it. Also, a smidgeon of white pepper. The finish is very smooth as opposed to say Bridgeport IPA, which closes with a very bitter finish. Well-balanced by the malts. Medium-bodied mouthfeel. Excellent drinkability. Great offering by Odell.

4.47/5  rDev +5.2%

A: Pours a light honey color with roughly a finger of dense, white head. It leaves behind lots of attractive lacing, sparse film, but some larger bubbles around the edges.

S: Whoa...yes sir, this is exactly how I want my IPAs to smell. Loads of tropical fruit, citrus and some pine. Pineapple, mango, grapefruit. It's all here. What seems to be toasted and sweet malts take a back seat.

T: Big time hop flavor out in front. Pretty much everything from the nose, but I think there's some peach here I didn't notice in the nose. Even though the hops rule the roost, there really isn't a lot of bitterness here..just a little at the finish. The malts' sweetness really helps balance things out.

M: This has a nice, full mouthfeel to it. Not what I'd call dry in the finish, but there is some bitterness there. Leaves behind a nice coat of hoppy goodness.

O: Boy, am I glad I picked this up recently. Delicious and very drinkable, Odell IPA ranks high on my list of Single IPAs...maybe my favorite.

GABF Weekend '08

I'm very impressed with this beer, as I was their porter. Balance being the key, this beer strikes a major mark with a very well attenuated malty character with low lying sweetness (caramel and breadiness), which allows the hops to shine. An agressive hop blend of grapefruit, orange rind, pine, and a boquet of flowery, perfumy hops particularly in the nose. No apparent harshness or agression in the mouthfeel despite such boldness in the taste (Two Hearted Ale does this as well), allowing the beer to be supremely drinkable. Finishes with a crisp, cracker-like dryness and a riding orange rind note. I'm not sure if IPA's get any better.

4.47/5  rDev +5.2%

Got this as an extra in a trade with Bennetj17. Cheers to ya!

My Tonto Sam Adams glass was dirty and had a crusty yogurt spoon in it, and I was lazy, so this went directly in a big Tripel Karmeliet goblet. Sue me!

I want to get back to drinking this so I'll be brief: I really like Odell IPA. Looks great, big poofy head on a clear eyed brew, smells fun and well done, with loads of hop character balanced out to smooth, fruity apricot perfection, tastes wonderful, cool, hoppy-minty, spicy, sweet, generously malted, harmonious, fully delightful from a bold start to semi-bitter sticky end, wet and dare I say gulpable... this is the real deal, folks! Should be in the BA top ten in my righteous opinion.

I want more. More I say!

4.47/5  rDev +5.2%

The beer pours a clear amber color with sticky foam floating above. The aroma is a strong with components of lemon, orange, and pine resin. A hoppy affair as it slithers across the palate. The orange peel and Georgia pine combine to produce a hefty presence of hops. The mouthfeel is medium to heavy, effected with hops oil. The malt barely peeks through to produce some caramel tones. A very nice, strong brew.

Odell IPA from Odell Brewing Company