Odell IPA | Odell Brewing Company

Style: American IPA

Added by rowew on 03-02-2007

Reviews: 724 | Ratings: 3,039
4.46/5  rDev +5.2%

Another top shelf offering Odell! Just what are those guys doing over there in Colorado. This is my second eye opener from them. This IPA has a character that can be sharply distinguished from others. It had the sharp accent of a particular resinous flavor that I have mulled over for the last 20 minutes struggling to identify it. Unfortunately...I had only one bottle and it was gone before I could nail it.

At first I had wanted to say pumpkin rind but that wasn't it - so I'll have to settle on pine cone resin - in my fading afterglow until I buy a six pack.

A = Hazy amber
S = Herbal, pine
T = Sharply resinous...I'm favoring towards describing it as woody pine cone
M = Perfect IPA mouthfeel

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Here is where Beer Advocate is your friend. I was in a hurry in Texas awaiting to go back to Boston, and I wanted to get a great beer not sold in the NE. Searched SPECS and found this beer and was impressed with the 100 from the brothers. So clearly I bought it and will need to give it the same score

I am sitting alone in my poorly lit living room, so the beer once again looks a copper color. In the dark, everything either looks dark or copper to me. I accidentally drink many things. This also had some moderate lacing and looks great. Of course a hoppy smell, but also a great deal of fruit....grapefruit I suppose. Anyways, took a sip and it is a big hoppy blast. This was just a perfect amount of bitterness and zest - a great beer. I do think it has a slightly odd after taste - can't put my finger on it, but I still like it.

Nice carbonation and a pleasant beer on an oddly very hot day in Boston. I could have more, but alas, I am lazy and don't feel like walking to the fridge.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This poured with about an inch head of tiny bubbles that sank after a couple minutes leaving a thin layer across the top. The beer is a glowing gold-orange and if you look really close you can spot some fine sediment floating around in there. Smells awesome; really peachy and fruity - in fact for an IPA I'm not really getting any pine-like aromas at all, just peach and orange citrus. The flavor tastes peachy right up front, followed by grapefruit as the hop bitters start to work in there - nice balance. Carbonation is medium-low, and the mouthfeel is quite smooth. Overall I think this is a fantastic IPA.

4.47/5  rDev +5.4%

A - Golden color, fluffy white head, moderate carbonation, clear with a bit of particulate matter.

S - Lots of hop aroma, citrus and sweet floral. A bit of sweet malt comes through at the end and a touch of toastiness.

T - Almost exactly like the aroma, the hops come on strong but never become overwhelming, they are in balance with the malt. The hops are a nice combination of citrus and floral, with makes it a bit more complex than a lot of the straight forward citrus bombs that a lot of AIPAs are. A little sweetness from the malt finishes things up.

M - Moderate body which is balances nicely with the higher alcohol content and hop presence.

O - This is an excellent AIPA. It isn't just a hop bomb although there are a lot of IBUs there, nor is it super bitter, there is a lot of flavor and aroma from these hops. The hops are a nice combination of varieties which adds some nice complexity. The malt does take a back seat, as it should in an IPA, but it is there and lends a nice amount of body to make this IPA, which is a bit on the strong side, perfectly balanced. Will definitely be looking for this one again.

4.47/5  rDev +5.4%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Nonic Imperial Pint.

Appearance: Clear orange-gold with moderate eggshell white head that leaves nice lacing rings.

Smell: Mostly pine and grapefruit, with spice and light toasted malts.

Taste: Very hoppy with pine, grapefruit and some tropical fruit. The toasted malts are very dry and almost a little sour. Ends somewhat bitter and spicy. Fantastic balance, or is it a lack thereof?

Feel: Moderately low carbonation, medium almost oily body that is fairly creamy and smooth. Very dry sour finish.

Drinkability: Extremely good IPA. This beer makes me ecstatic that Odell came to Minnesota.

4.47/5  rDev +5.4%

A: golden orange. Hop haze with a full finger of head. Spotty lacing.

S: fresh tangerines.. mango, papaya.. touch of pine as well.. small touch of bready malts deep in there.

T: big orange flavor upfront.. some grassiness leads to a nice grapefruit taste.. some tropical fruitiness as well.. finish is a clean almost spearmint flavor with some grapefruit & pine resin bitterness. Very good.

Mf: good soft coating with a medium body. Good carbonation.

O: one of my favorite single IPAs!

4.47/5  rDev +5.4%

Pours a light, copper color into glass producing a frothy head. Clear as day. Cascade hops bombard the nose, producing an aroma of citrus--particularly grapefruit. Grapefruit is first on the palate. As the beer warms i detect a bit of woodsiness/oakiness to it. Also, a smidgeon of white pepper. The finish is very smooth as opposed to say Bridgeport IPA, which closes with a very bitter finish. Well-balanced by the malts. Medium-bodied mouthfeel. Excellent drinkability. Great offering by Odell.

4.47/5  rDev +5.4%

A: Pours a light honey color with roughly a finger of dense, white head. It leaves behind lots of attractive lacing, sparse film, but some larger bubbles around the edges.

S: Whoa...yes sir, this is exactly how I want my IPAs to smell. Loads of tropical fruit, citrus and some pine. Pineapple, mango, grapefruit. It's all here. What seems to be toasted and sweet malts take a back seat.

T: Big time hop flavor out in front. Pretty much everything from the nose, but I think there's some peach here I didn't notice in the nose. Even though the hops rule the roost, there really isn't a lot of bitterness here..just a little at the finish. The malts' sweetness really helps balance things out.

M: This has a nice, full mouthfeel to it. Not what I'd call dry in the finish, but there is some bitterness there. Leaves behind a nice coat of hoppy goodness.

O: Boy, am I glad I picked this up recently. Delicious and very drinkable, Odell IPA ranks high on my list of Single IPAs...maybe my favorite.

GABF Weekend '08

I'm very impressed with this beer, as I was their porter. Balance being the key, this beer strikes a major mark with a very well attenuated malty character with low lying sweetness (caramel and breadiness), which allows the hops to shine. An agressive hop blend of grapefruit, orange rind, pine, and a boquet of flowery, perfumy hops particularly in the nose. No apparent harshness or agression in the mouthfeel despite such boldness in the taste (Two Hearted Ale does this as well), allowing the beer to be supremely drinkable. Finishes with a crisp, cracker-like dryness and a riding orange rind note. I'm not sure if IPA's get any better.

4.47/5  rDev +5.4%

Got this as an extra in a trade with Bennetj17. Cheers to ya!

My Tonto Sam Adams glass was dirty and had a crusty yogurt spoon in it, and I was lazy, so this went directly in a big Tripel Karmeliet goblet. Sue me!

I want to get back to drinking this so I'll be brief: I really like Odell IPA. Looks great, big poofy head on a clear eyed brew, smells fun and well done, with loads of hop character balanced out to smooth, fruity apricot perfection, tastes wonderful, cool, hoppy-minty, spicy, sweet, generously malted, harmonious, fully delightful from a bold start to semi-bitter sticky end, wet and dare I say gulpable... this is the real deal, folks! Should be in the BA top ten in my righteous opinion.

I want more. More I say!

4.47/5  rDev +5.4%

The beer pours a clear amber color with sticky foam floating above. The aroma is a strong with components of lemon, orange, and pine resin. A hoppy affair as it slithers across the palate. The orange peel and Georgia pine combine to produce a hefty presence of hops. The mouthfeel is medium to heavy, effected with hops oil. The malt barely peeks through to produce some caramel tones. A very nice, strong brew.

4.47/5  rDev +5.4%

Simply put, if you're a Hop Hound, this beer rules. Had a taste B4 diving in, and the smell alone told me I was all in. 3 talls later, all was still dead ahead. On the road in Minnesota, so on the way back to our hotel stopped 2 buy something 4 the room, and sure enough this brew was there. Easy selection, even though some other favs were present. Bottle just as good as on tap. Is it the best i've had? Prob not, cause i've had some pretty darn awesome Ipas. For a 7.0; however, I would be hard-pressed 2 find a worthy opponent. The taste rules, grapefruit domination as I type, the smell rules, and all is most good. Even the hotel plastic cup I'm using can't taint this brew (I usually have traveling glass with me, but that's another story). Bottom-line-try it 4 sure, U won't be sorry U did. Just my 2 pennies worth. CHEERS 2 ALL!

Bottle Dated: 09/15/11

A-Hazy Orange with white head that sticks around for awhile

S-great citrus smell that makes me want to keep smelling and smelling

T-alot like it smells. just great

M-medium body and smooth

O-WOW. I am really impressed with this brewery. This is a very good beer and I can't wait to try more

4.47/5  rDev +5.4%

Odell IPA is splendidly bright in color (near orange), citrusy in flavor, and aromatic. Amarillo Hops shine through strong hop notes and flavor shows of subtle peaches, or orange. It is 7% ABV, making it strong and worthy, yet not overtly powerful or demanding.

4.47/5  rDev +5.4%

Had on draft in Taos, NM at KTAO radio station bar. Poured into pint.

A: Pours a clear bright orange color with yellowed hues around the edges. Nice 1 finger off-white head with nice retention. Little lace.

S: Amazing citrus hops with peels of lemon, lime and orange. Nice floral notes give it a sweet backbone.

T: Great citrus blast with a nice swing of bitter hops. That mellows out quickly to sweet dry flower.

M: Crisp and dry feeling. Light bodied with a light carbonation. Very refreshing.

O: A very refreshing and delicious IPA. I really enjoyed the citrus in the nose that was balanced by the bitterness in the taste. My first offering from Odell and I hope it's not my last!

4.47/5  rDev +5.4%

A: slightly hazy golden straw with a nice finger of fluffy white head. Tons of very fine lacing and good head retention.

S: Nice pine and floral hop notes. Citrus and tropical fruit notes. great aroma!

T: A nie sweet citrus on the front side which is pushed to the side right away by a nice bitter pine hop. Ends really smooth with very little bitter after taste.

M: Medium carbonation and medium body. Nice sweet bitter hoppy taste with a resin almost sticky mouthfeel.

O: Extremely well balanced beer. Really like this beer although it may not be as bitter as many IPAs this is a great beer. Nice piney hops!

4.47/5  rDev +5.4%

12 oz bottle. Pours a nice crisp medium gold colour, showing nice lacing and film, moderate carbonation.

Smell is full of pungent fresh hops, fruity grapefruit and slight resin. A floral character, very lively. Potent, complex, interesting.

Taste has grapefruity hops, a light viciousness. Plenty of fruitiness and hop character that only really gets bitter on the end, malts mostly subdued, finishes really cleanly, pine and hop bitterness. A really nice all round flavour, delicious.

Mouthfeel is luscious, carbonation is at a great level to show off the beer and give a full pleasing feel, dry and peppery on the end.

A delicious West-Coast IPA that is quite hard to find fault in. Really crisp and satisfying, hops are great and quite well balanced, drinks very well.

4.47/5  rDev +5.4%

Pours a light amber gold color with a big bubbly creamy head. Very good appearance, but nothing to push it over the top.

Smell is awesome, so much citrus and floral hop aromas, very nice smelling IPA.

Taste is bitter up front, like an American IPA should be, followed by a nice citrus, grapefruit, floral and pine flavors. Light bready malts also come through.

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy, very nice for the style. Medium carbonation and medium body.

Very drinkable beer, one of the best examples of the style out there.

4.47/5  rDev +5.4%

A- Light golden yellow with a white head and excellent lacing

S- Wow. Grapefruit,hint of lemon and orange, with a sweet pine smell

T- That citrus hoppiness right up front, into a medium to soft bitterness and a hint of malt. Delicious

M- good carbonation, crisp

D- Very drinkable, smooth and refreshing. Even with the hoppiness I found it very well balanced.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Obtained this beer via a trade with BA Minterro.

Poured the bottle into a pint glass

A: Vibrant color with a quick dissipating head

S: Really liked the smell, very tropical

T: Hand in hand with the smell. I really enjoyed it, hoppy and strong citrus notes

O: Overall, I really enjoyed this beer. A great smell and taste with strong citrus and hoppy notes. Really excited to drink more of these west coast beers.

4.48/5  rDev +5.7%

Got this as an extra! Thank you you-know-who!

A: Burnt orange color, 2 finger head - good retention, good amount of lacing, beautiful looking!

S: Hops, grapefruit, citrus

T: Mostly hops, grapefruit, citrus, very refreshing - reminds me of Zombie Dust, not too sweet, not too bitter (still has a good slight bitter finish). Perfect for summer! Not much lingering taste afterwards though.

M: Good amount of carbonation, very drinkable.

O: It caught me by surprise. This was my first Odell, and I am very impressed! Great beer to have (although not really a session beer) out back, when it's sunny out.

12oz bottle into a pint glass
Best before: 5/2/14 (must be super fresh)

Thanks to fatbeats18 for sending this one over in a trade

A: Pours a crystal clear dark golden amber with 2 fingers width of slightly off white colored head which has good retention and leaves lots of lacing.

S: Huge tropical fruit and citrus notes with orange/tangerine and pineapple. Some sweet malts, juniper and pine. Wonderful.

T: Lots of piney bitterness along with some citrus rind, lemon zest and orange peel. Not really the tropical fruit notes that were on the nose but still a great hop profile. Firm malt backbone to balance things out.

M/D: Full bodied, fairly smooth, carbonation moderate maybe a touch too high for my preference, drying on the finish, drinkability is great.

O: Top notch IPA. One of the best Ive ever had.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours a clear amber with a white head that settles into a long-lasting cap. Good lacing. Aromas of citrus, biscuity malt along with some floral notes. Flavors of juicy tangerine with hints of biscuit that finishes just slightly bitter. One of the best tasting IPAs I've had! Medium bodied with light carbonation. Overall, this might be one of the best west-coast IPAs out there. It's certainly the best one I've had to date.

4.48/5  rDev +5.7%

1.5 finger thick foam head with excellent retention and nice lacing on a murky crimson with golden hues body. As pretty as they get. Aroma is excellent as well with citrus, hops, pine and floral notes. The flavor is hop heavy as well with floral, citrus and earthy notes. This one gets better and better as you drink it. Semi dry in the finish. medium body and moderate carbonation. Overall it isnt quite perfect in the flavor and I prefer a less dry finish in my IPA, otherwise one of the best IPAs out there.

4.48/5  rDev +5.7%

This beer pours a golden sort of red color
it has a medium mouthfeel but very crips mouthfeel
tastes of very citrus spicy hops and is balanced very well
overall this is one of my favorite balanced IPAs that I have had. It is perfect on a summer day and has the ability to warm you all of the way through

Odell IPA from Odell Brewing Company