Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Odell IPA | Odell Brewing Company

#663
4.5

Ratings: 3,111 |  Reviews: 740

4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

A truly excellent IPA. Great balance.

4.47/5  rDev +4.7%

Got this as an extra in a trade with Bennetj17. Cheers to ya!

My Tonto Sam Adams glass was dirty and had a crusty yogurt spoon in it, and I was lazy, so this went directly in a big Tripel Karmeliet goblet. Sue me!

I want to get back to drinking this so I'll be brief: I really like Odell IPA. Looks great, big poofy head on a clear eyed brew, smells fun and well done, with loads of hop character balanced out to smooth, fruity apricot perfection, tastes wonderful, cool, hoppy-minty, spicy, sweet, generously malted, harmonious, fully delightful from a bold start to semi-bitter sticky end, wet and dare I say gulpable... this is the real deal, folks! Should be in the BA top ten in my righteous opinion.

I want more. More I say!

3.58/5  rDev -16.2%

Into a pint glass, pours a cloudy orangish straw yellow color with a nice white head and decent lacing. The aroma is heavily hoppy, as is the taste, nice citrus qualities, not very shy, not very complex, but still pretty enjoyable. The body is pretty good, as is carbonation. In all, nothing bad about it, nothing too exciting, just a pretty good regional IPA.

3.59/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.42/5  rDev +3.5%

A_Pours a bronze hue with a big frothy off white head. Lots of bubbles stick around throughout.

S_Big piney, citric and rich hops dominate while allowing just a pinch of lightly toasted malt to come through.

T_Perfectly rich piney, citric and slightly sopay hops dominate throughout. A nice does of that same toasted malt gives this a slight sweetness in the middle which manages to keep the affair from being one sided. The finish is nice pure hop bitterness leaving traces of pine resin. As the brew warms the citric hop notes come to the forefront moreso than the pine. Not sure what mix of hops were used but it works.

M_Medium bodied with a slightly aggresive carbonation works perfectly with the oily hop quality here.

D_Wow, a top notch excellent IPA. The style may be overdone but this is one that truly shines.

4.29/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Hazy, deep, straw yellow color, with one finger of off white head. Head receeds and leaves tons of spotty lacing.

A: Outstanding! Citrus and pine hops are prominent from the start, almost an equal amount of each. Some slightly sweet malts balance the nose nicely. Very intense aroma from a single IPA.

T: Very good. Again, light citrus, orange, tangerine, and some lime as well. But there is also some distinct pine hops. Beer finishes somewhat dry, and bitter.

M&D: Light to medium body, but overly carbonated IMO. The carbonation makes for a brew that stings a bit on the way down. Drinkability is very high. At 7% ABV this is sessionable. Odell has cracked the top three IPA's in my book. Excellent! Skal.

4.72/5  rDev +10.5%

12 oz bottle

pours a coppery orange, with a very big, very creamy off-white head. Lacing? - huge clumps of extremely creamy sticky foam coat the inside of my glass. If a little whiter, I'd say some marshmallow cream blew up inside the glass. Interesting.

Nose is full of grapefruit, other citrus and pine...but a surprising amount of pale malt is present. I can still smell the malts above anything now that the glass is (temporarily) empty. Freaking awesome.

Taste....No, let's talk about mouthfeel first. This has startlingly low carbonation. I've gone through most of a sixer, and it seems to be the same for each bottle. I've been on a hop kick the last week, enjoying AleSmith, Stone, SN Celebration, O'Fallon, Two Hearted, 60 Minute, and numerous other IPAs...and this is by far the lowest carbonation I experienced. In fact, it is reminiscent of certain hoppy beers I've enjoyed on cask: big creamy head, very low carbonation, full fresh expressive flavors. I won't downgrade this because it doesn't match what I've come to expect, but it remains different. (If someone thinks I got a "bad" sample of unusually low carbonation, by all means beermail me.)

I call the wife over to taste it. "Taste what?" she says. "There's nothing left in the glass!" Again? Where'd it go?!?
Yes, I can't decide how much I love this, but have gone through 3 bottles in the last few hours while trying to decide! I have to admit it is pretty delicious. Whereas the citrus in the aroma is noticeably grapefruit, the taste reminds me more of orange juice. Quite sweet, with a pleasant and relatively light bitterness.

Carbonate this 7% sucker a bit more, and slow me down! As I sit here opening another, it would be criminal to rate this below a "5" for drinkability...so I won't.

1/23/08 re-rate. Eerily similar experience, but with more pronounced bitterness covering up the sweet flavor - gonna bump up the flavor score a half point.
5/15/10 re-rate. Flavor and body aren't quite what they were, but it is one of the best smelling beers I've ever stuck my nose into.

3.88/5  rDev -9.1%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass.

A: A medium amber orange with a one finger off white head. Not a lot of lacing.

S: Earthy hops with a fairly faint malt sweet smell.

T: Hops bitterness at first with flavors of pine, earth and some slight citrus. The mid flavors are where the malt seems to come gushing out with flavors of sweet fruits, caramel and butterscotch. Finish is bitter with the hops lingering. Nicely balanced IPA, far from a west coast syle IMO. Nothing near Pliny the Elder as I read in another review, this carries way more malt.

M: Medium to full. Chunky and course, prickly and lingering bitterness. Slight alcohol warmth.

D: Fairly good, it was easy to drink and I could have had another.

Overall a solid IPA but not a superstar in my book. Glad I tried it.

3.75/5  rDev -12.2%

4.28/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.28/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A&S: Big orange and lemon citrus hoppyness upfront. Subdued malty backbone. Lively yellow/orange transparent colored beer. WIth a 1 and a half finger white head when poured which settles in a thin layer. Great lacing on this beer; big thick lines.

T&M: Big spicy and grassy tones upfront. Bitter finish, but not super intense. Medium bodied and on the high side of medium for carbonation.

Overall: Very drinkable and enjoyable beer. So far I would say this is the best beer I have tried since I moved out of Michigan. Looking forward to trying some more from this brewery

4.02/5  rDev -5.9%

4.43/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Odell IPA from Odell Brewing Company