Odell IPA | Odell Brewing Company

#682
4.5

Ratings: 3,131 |  Reviews: 744
4.88/5  rDev +14.3%

Now I got to say that this one turned out to be quite a shock to me. I was expecting just a rather normal IPA, nothing special but I was totally blow away by this one. The pour was gentle, resulting in a very bright amber, hazy and amply carbonated liquid which sat in its glass covered with a monster of a three inch or more head. This rested gently down and left behind generous amounts of side glass clingy and sticky lace, that are in all likelihood still there the next day. Just a great overall look, damn perfect for the style. The aroma coming off this knocked me back off of my feet for a good minute. Huge floral hop presence, I mean huge. Tons of citrus flavors, orange, tangerine, and very sweet as well. There was just a really fresh aroma coming off of it. It was literally dripping fresh. The taste was enormous. I had a hop profile that made you go nuts. Lots of orange and pineapple mixed in with a ton of sweetness, it was just heaven. A big resin, bitter dry finish was superb. Great smooth and light feel was no match for the huge flavor in here. This was really fantastic I could have had this all night, if only I had some more of it. This was far and away one of the best IPA's I have ever had. It was just unreal fresh and hopped to a level I very rarely see. I can find no fault in it at all, so it gets my second ever rating of a perfect five. To say I was surprised by what came out of this bottle was an understatement. This was a perfect IPA, I mean perfect. Maybe it was the bottle, hopefully this is the way they all are and if so this is a testament to something I never heard of before. Must Get More of this as fast as possible, it was that good.

3.92/5  rDev -8.2%

Pours clear, yellow honey with thin white head and minimal lace. Aroma of piney hops with honey and slight fruit. The initial flavor is sweet and malty with a longht live light to moderately bitter aftertaste that is maybe more like a pale ale rather than an IPA. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a slightly creamy feel, dry finish and moderate carbonation. Overall, this is very mild for an IPA. It has good flavor and is very drinkable but not overly complex.

4.32/5  rDev +1.2%

thanks to oxymoron for this one. this poured a nice glowing orange into a nonic with a slight haze and a mostly diminishing white head that formed a collar of lace throughout. smell was of honeyed peaches, yes, peaches, along with resiny citrus, pine, and sweet malt in the bouqet. very nice, powerful, fresh aroma. taste is a bit of sweet malt pushed aside by a heavy dose of lingering hop bitterness. medium-bodied with a long astringent finish. this was some surprisingly good shit.

3.58/5  rDev -16.2%

Into a pint glass, pours a cloudy orangish straw yellow color with a nice white head and decent lacing. The aroma is heavily hoppy, as is the taste, nice citrus qualities, not very shy, not very complex, but still pretty enjoyable. The body is pretty good, as is carbonation. In all, nothing bad about it, nothing too exciting, just a pretty good regional IPA.

3.84/5  rDev -10.1%

The beer poured from a bottle with barely any head, I had the bottle and the glass at 45 degree angle while pouring, so that can probably explain the lack of head.
The color is golden-orange, like so many American IPAs I have seen before, nothing special there. It's in the smell and taste department that the beer really shines. Smells a little like molasses and malt and the taste is all hops. I just took a big swig, let it swirl inside my mouth for a moment. The verdict - while it is a great tasting beer, it's by no means a session beer. The beer makes no bones about its 7% ABV and you can feel it in your breath in just the first sip.
All in all - another one in the great tradition of awesome beers from Odell's

4.7/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Like almost everything else from Odells, this is very good. Very tasty and very well-balanced. Naturally, as an IPA, hops are prevalent but not an overtly or obnoxiously aggressive manner. The piney, floral aroma is nice and subdued. The hop bitterness is well-balanced by the malts and the complexity of the flavors mask the strong alcohol content. Easy to drink despite high ABV.

4.62/5  rDev +8.2%

Fantastic IPA. Nice amber/gold color with decent lace. Nice piney, citrusy smell with some cheddar-like scents. Taste of orange peel, pine, lemon juice, candied sugar. Quite pure and delicious. Quite bitter. Fantastically delicious. Nice mouthfeel, very full bodied, almost syrupy while staying light enough for a good quaff. Fantastic, a must try. A flavor king.

Thanks goes out to jhammerly and Bitterbill for this brew.

Pours a nice slighlty cloudy golden orange color, nice carbonation, nice one-finger plus creamy off-white head, tons of nice sticky lacing to follow. The nose is hoppy, citrusy, piney, and some caramel. The taste is very hoppy, nice grapefruit flavor, and a little bit of pines to throw in, also some caramel. The finish is slightly bitter and dry. Medium body. Very drinkable, this is a fine example of a IPA, way to go Odell, highly recommended.

3.65/5  rDev -14.5%

07/07/07- Purchased at "The Liquor Store" in Jackson Hole, WY.

Presentation- 12oz bottle with no freshness info to be found. Poured into a standard pint glass.

Appearance- Deep golden, approaching amber colored pour. 3/4 inch head, in which a light ring remains after the finish. Leaves behind decent lace streaks though.

Smell- Nice sugary fruity nose. Reminds me of a lighter scented Lost Coast Indica. I bit of caramel malt in there as well.

Taste- Damn, it's got that funky Pyramid flavored yeast! I hate that stuff. I don't know how to desribe the taste, but I'm assuming it's the yeast. The hops taste perfectly fine with a nice fruity and pine flavored hit and the malt is lightly toasted and a bit caramely. The odd flavor brings this one down a notch though for me.

Mouthfeel- Lasting bitterness in the aftertaste with a higher than average carbonation level.

Drinkability- Gotta find out what that damn funky flavor is that I don't like. Otherwise, this one has potential...at least for people like me that hate all Pyramid beers (except Snow Cap).

4.4/5  rDev +3%

Pours a golden yellow color. Most IPA's tend to have a copper hue, but this one is lighter much like Stone's. A 1" head forms and laces the glass for the life of the beer.
Smell is sweet and citrus with the hops hitting all at once, but a sweet alchol/malt smell permeating. Really nice!
The first taste is sweet, but then the hops start to kick in. Grapefruit followed by a floral kick. Spearmint and a little grassiness, too. The finish is dry, but then a little sweetness comes back.
Mouthfeel is thick at first, but thins out as you swallow. Pretty unique, and perfect for an IPA.
The hops are really potent and steal the show, so drinkability really comes down to how much of that you want.

This is a GREAT IPA. It's one of my favorites if not my overall favorite.
Odell is overlooked sometimes, but they truly are an excellent brewer.

4.2/5  rDev -1.6%

Finally an IPA from Odell. Big fat grapefruit on the palate. Excellent IPA that will definitely be a standard for me. The malty balance is more indicative of the English style, but a joy nonetheless. A little pricey for a six pack. But beyond that it enforces my opinion that Odell is one of the best breweries around.

Poured from a 12oz. brown bottle into my Russian River shaker "pint" glass. Appears a mildly cloudy, golden orange color with about a finger of off-white head that sticks around, leaving a nice lace on the glass. Smells of floral, lemony hops, piney hops and a touch of sweet caramel malt. Tastes of bitter citrus such as lemon and grapefruit, as well as some pineapple and sweet malts. Medium in both body and carbonation. I was fortunate enough to receive six bottles of this through various trades and I am not complaining.

4.3/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured from the bottle very clear straw with a huge creamy head that faded to a quarter-inch to the end. Nice lacing was left with this one.

An aroma of citrusy hops, pineapple, and pine. Malts are also there but more subtle.

The taste was like the smell. Citrusy hops and pine. A slight bitterness at the end but doesn't detract at all.

Medium bodied and carbonated.

This one lives up to the hype I've heard. A very-easy-to-drink IPA for sure.

4.44/5  rDev +4%

Poured from 12oz bottle into traditional pint glass

A - Pours a nice pale straw color that is slightly hazy. Head starts at about 1 1/2 inches and receeds from there. Very attractive lacing.

S - Amazing floral hop scent that overwhelms in the finest of ways. Pine and grapefruit certainly come to mind. Absolutely enticing.

T - Just above moderate carbonation starts things off with a nice refreshing tingle, then a fat shock of hops comes bowling across your tongue. Hops provide a nice piney flavor with the right amount of floral goodness thrown in. Finishes with an excellent drying bitterness.

M - Crisp and carbonated up front that immediately becomes bitter and drying.

D - My new go-to IPA in these parts. Very drinkable with a do-able alcohol content that makes this an easy drinking (albiet bitter) IPA. Can't wait to try this one on tap.

A top notch IPA that oddly reminds me of home (Indiana and the availability of Bell's Two-Hearted). Its official: Odell is now my favorite Colorado brewery.

4.32/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours golden yellow with a thick head that slowly descends to a thin cover. Some lacing sticks to glass.

The smell is of grapefruit, lemon, orange, some pine. Very hoppy and robust. Some breadiness in the back - way in the back.

The taste is citric - lemon, orange, grapefruit. Some tea-like leafiness. Hops are all over the place, but there is just enough sweet malt in the back to hold this hop-bomb together. Floral notes in the finish - nice profile. The supporting malt works well together with it, too. Alcohol pretty well-covered for abv level, with just a hint in the finish.

The feel is chewy and incredibly smooth. Medium bodied. Citrus taste hangs on.

Thanks to bitterbill for this hoppy treat!

4.24/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A - Poured out an orange/amber color with a pillowy, white, two-finger head. Left good lace: nice layers.

S - It smelled of hops, grass, malt and orange.

T - It tasted very hoppy! It also had a good maltiness with a hint of citrus. Also, a nice bitter bite.

M - It was crisp and dry. A medium-bodied beer.

D - I was really impressed with this IPA. It is very hoppy and quite tasty.

4.1/5  rDev -4%

Poured this 12 oz. into a DFH shaped pint. Embossed date of: 9/19/07. The body was pale apricot and clear. A large barely off-white head left tendrils of lace and a cap of foam through the entire drink. I really like Odell's packaging/labels. The labels look like retro art posters and each style of beer has a label that is similar to the other Odell products. The bottles are embossed dark brown and have low shoulders. Nice.

Smell was citrus and resin. Earthy, pleasantly pungent. Very aromatic.

Taste was of juicy oranges. Refreshing bitterness with enough malts to counter, but not overwhelm the hops. Finished with a robust bittering end.

Mouthfeel was medium in body with fine carbonation. Solid all around.

3.95/5  rDev -7.5%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

You get a big foamy head without effort when pouring this one. The beer is an orangish yellow. I guess you would call it amber. It's more yellow than orange. Head is retained well. Nice lacing.

Smells of fruity hops. Pineapple and orange. Somewhat piney.

This one is mostly bitter in a good way. Predominantly grapefruit with a slight orange flavor. There is a lingering tartness.

There is a medium carbonation, and maybe a touch low for an IPA. This one is kind of dry.

Drinkability is high. I could drink a few of these. I have drank a few of these in a sitting, but the 7.0 ABV might get to you after 3. I typically like my IPAs a little more malty and a little less dry, but I really liked this one.

3.98/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a pint glass, this one is a beauty. A huge creamy, frothy head floats on an orange amber body. Sticky lace lasts the whole 5 minutes it takes to drink this one ;)

Smell is all hops, and very piney at that.

First taste was a little surprising. Lots of hop flavor throughout with notes of pine and citrus. It's definitely refreshing, but it could use a bit more malt. All I can seem to get out of it is hops and bitterness. When I did let it warm quite a bit, the caramel malt shined through, but to me the hops were just a bit overpowering.

This one was medium bodied and perfectly carbonated in my opinion.

Odell IPA is a winner and is very easy drinking. If it were a bit more balanced, it would be my go to IPA. It is a very solid beer though, and I demolished my 6 pack in no time.

12 oz bottle, best by 6/22/07. Pours a slightly hazy golden orange with a frothy dense white head that quickly goes to a thin film that leaves some lacing.

The aroma is piney hops with some melon and biscuity malts.

The flavor is sweet bready malts and some melon leading to a decent piney, peppery hop finish that lingers some in the aftertaste. The mouthfeel is is medium to full bodied with some slightly sharp carbonation and sticky hop resin.

Overall, an excellent showing by Odell. This is a well done IPA, not quite top tier, but still very enjoyable.

4.72/5  rDev +10.5%

12 oz bottle

pours a coppery orange, with a very big, very creamy off-white head. Lacing? - huge clumps of extremely creamy sticky foam coat the inside of my glass. If a little whiter, I'd say some marshmallow cream blew up inside the glass. Interesting.

Nose is full of grapefruit, other citrus and pine...but a surprising amount of pale malt is present. I can still smell the malts above anything now that the glass is (temporarily) empty. Freaking awesome.

Taste....No, let's talk about mouthfeel first. This has startlingly low carbonation. I've gone through most of a sixer, and it seems to be the same for each bottle. I've been on a hop kick the last week, enjoying AleSmith, Stone, SN Celebration, O'Fallon, Two Hearted, 60 Minute, and numerous other IPAs...and this is by far the lowest carbonation I experienced. In fact, it is reminiscent of certain hoppy beers I've enjoyed on cask: big creamy head, very low carbonation, full fresh expressive flavors. I won't downgrade this because it doesn't match what I've come to expect, but it remains different. (If someone thinks I got a "bad" sample of unusually low carbonation, by all means beermail me.)

I call the wife over to taste it. "Taste what?" she says. "There's nothing left in the glass!" Again? Where'd it go?!?
Yes, I can't decide how much I love this, but have gone through 3 bottles in the last few hours while trying to decide! I have to admit it is pretty delicious. Whereas the citrus in the aroma is noticeably grapefruit, the taste reminds me more of orange juice. Quite sweet, with a pleasant and relatively light bitterness.

Carbonate this 7% sucker a bit more, and slow me down! As I sit here opening another, it would be criminal to rate this below a "5" for drinkability...so I won't.

1/23/08 re-rate. Eerily similar experience, but with more pronounced bitterness covering up the sweet flavor - gonna bump up the flavor score a half point.
5/15/10 re-rate. Flavor and body aren't quite what they were, but it is one of the best smelling beers I've ever stuck my nose into.

3.79/5  rDev -11.2%

Bonus bottle from ArrogantB

A fast pour into a goblet left a translucent bronze colored ale with a thick and pillowy bright white head. Leaves behind a bright white sticky lacing. Smells mostly of big pine and a skunky kind of a hop smell. The smells on this one don't fade out as the glass empties like some. Tastes were mostly citrusy like orange but more of the rind than the actual fruit. More bitter than juicy or sweet. Bitterness in taste is not overdone and is quite pleasant. Medium bodied and on the sticky side. Drinkability is alright and kind of reminds me of a Troegs Nugget Nectar. Worth a try and may end up trading for some more.

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

I was excited to see this new offering from Odell Brewing. I've been waiting for an IPA from them for a long time!

This is definitely my new session IPA! The beer pours a beautiful, dark amber color, with a nice lace that lasts until the beer is gone. I immediately thought "grapefruit" when I first sipped, as the citrus notes really hit me. Nice and hoppy, not too malty-- perfect IPA.

Thanks to Odell for brewing a highly drinkable IPA!

4.3/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours a very nice looking, hazy coppery orange with a one finger head that fades slowly to a solid cap. The lacing is very sticky, nearly coating in the interior of the glass, just what I lie to see in an IPA.

Smell; hops....hops...and maybe a little bit of hops. Oranges a bit of pine needles are the dominant hop aromas, but there's also a little grapefruit and a touch of an herbal presence. Underneath all of that there's still a nice balcing of sweet malts.

Taste; not quite as bitter as the aroma led me to believe, but there's still plenty of hops here. The oranges are definitely present, which I'm really digging, as I love oranges, and there's just some hints of grapefruit and lemons to add to the citrus flavors. The pine is not quite as noticeable, but still present. A nice caramel malt backbone gives a very nice balance to this beer.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and full of oily hop resins. The drinkability on this one is just fantastic.

I'm glad that Odell has made this a year round offering, as my wife is a hop head, and has already stolen two of these from me. I'm probably going to have to have some of these in the fridge at all times..

3.98/5  rDev -6.8%

Appearance - This golden-copper colored IPA has a thick creamy head that receds very slowly leaving big clumps of resiny goodness all around the glass.

Smell - Quite citrucy with a quiet malt backbone hiding in the background. Just a touch of bready yeastiness.

Taste - A bold sharp twang of hoppy bitterness slowly disolves into a malt roundness shortly after the swallow. That maltiness is quickly replaced with a mouth drying after hoppiness that begs for another sip. Piney, earthy, and grapefruit dominate the palate.

Mouthfeel - Light and creamy, with a full body that leaves the mouth clean.

Drinkability - This is quite a refresher, but at 7% it's sessionability is quite diminished. Nice to see a brewery that doesn't over do hops, and alchohol in an IPA. Although I love hop bombs, lets save those for DIPA, et al...

Odell IPA from Odell Brewing Company