Odell IPA | Odell Brewing Company

Style: American IPA

Added by rowew on 03-02-2007

Ratings: 3,080 |  Reviews: 736
4.72/5  rDev +11.3%

I can't find this in Minnesota and pick some up every time I'm back in South Dakota.

A: This beer pours a light orange to yellow color. A soft, rocky white head sits on top. A beautiful lace follows down the sides as I enjoy.

S: The aromas in this beer are fabulous. Hops, hops, and more hops. First I get a nice piney aroma. This is followed by a bevy of citrus fruits. It finishes with a faint malt sweetness.

T: Homerun! The hops in this beer are perfectly showcased. First I get the subtle sweetness of the malts. This is followed by a rush of citrus fruits. Tangerines and grapefruits are obvious. This leads you into a solid bitterness that rounds out the drink and leaves you wanting more. Based on its appearance you would think the malts were going to be too few, but they really balance this beer out nicely.

M: The beer is a little bit lighter in mouthfeel on the spectrum of IPAs. It goes in crisp and has a dry finish. The carbonation is pretty adequate for this style. It would be perfect if the mouthfeel was a little heavier.

D: One of the best IPAs I've had. A perfect example of balancing malts and hops. The solid hop aromas make this beer that much more appetizing. I wish I could have at least 6 in my fridge all the time. A definite must try for any hop lover.

12 oz bottle

pours a coppery orange, with a very big, very creamy off-white head. Lacing? - huge clumps of extremely creamy sticky foam coat the inside of my glass. If a little whiter, I'd say some marshmallow cream blew up inside the glass. Interesting.

Nose is full of grapefruit, other citrus and pine...but a surprising amount of pale malt is present. I can still smell the malts above anything now that the glass is (temporarily) empty. Freaking awesome.

Taste....No, let's talk about mouthfeel first. This has startlingly low carbonation. I've gone through most of a sixer, and it seems to be the same for each bottle. I've been on a hop kick the last week, enjoying AleSmith, Stone, SN Celebration, O'Fallon, Two Hearted, 60 Minute, and numerous other IPAs...and this is by far the lowest carbonation I experienced. In fact, it is reminiscent of certain hoppy beers I've enjoyed on cask: big creamy head, very low carbonation, full fresh expressive flavors. I won't downgrade this because it doesn't match what I've come to expect, but it remains different. (If someone thinks I got a "bad" sample of unusually low carbonation, by all means beermail me.)

I call the wife over to taste it. "Taste what?" she says. "There's nothing left in the glass!" Again? Where'd it go?!?
Yes, I can't decide how much I love this, but have gone through 3 bottles in the last few hours while trying to decide! I have to admit it is pretty delicious. Whereas the citrus in the aroma is noticeably grapefruit, the taste reminds me more of orange juice. Quite sweet, with a pleasant and relatively light bitterness.

Carbonate this 7% sucker a bit more, and slow me down! As I sit here opening another, it would be criminal to rate this below a "5" for drinkability...so I won't.

1/23/08 re-rate. Eerily similar experience, but with more pronounced bitterness covering up the sweet flavor - gonna bump up the flavor score a half point.
5/15/10 re-rate. Flavor and body aren't quite what they were, but it is one of the best smelling beers I've ever stuck my nose into.

4.71/5  rDev +11.1%

thanks to cosmohophead for this extra

pours a clear gold with a 2 finger head that coats the glass with lacing

smells of tangy grapefruit and tropical hops

taste just like the smell but i pick up some pine hops first along with citris grapefruit and tropical hops. this beer reminds me alot of founders double trouble meets a lighter avery maharaja.

mouthfeel - not as crisp and light as double trouble - this beer coats your mouth and the aftertaste of fruit hops linger

drinkabilty is very good but watch yourself it is 7%abv

overall another great beer from odell and an IPA do be tried by all - better then sculpin imo.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: Light golden copper with creamy off-white head

Smell: Lots of pine with a hint of citrus

Taste: A nice blending of pine and citrus hops. Crisp and smooth with a lingering after bite of hoppy sweetness

Mouthfeel: Very smooth with good carbonation.

Drinkability: Very drinkable

Overall: An outstanding example of an American IPA.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Why can't I find this here?
Can stamped with a "drink by" date I assume: 09/09/16.
Pours a amber gold with hues of peach haloing. Immense 3+ fingers of fluffy sandy foam leaps toward me. But, I am ready. Big, clumsy, arthritic-hand doily lacing beckons me.
Aroma is glorious. The heavens waft floral lemon, orange, pine, and caramel and bready malt.
Flavors are even more enticing. The citrusy notes are gracefully sharing the spotlight with lemongrass and pine, and the malts too are complex. Again, I get both caramel and ready notes. Even a slight hint of peppery rye peeks through shyly.
Mouthfeel is perfect.
Overall, I guess the color is slightly darker in the amber range than is typical for the style. But there's no way in hell I'd knock it down for that. This beer is damn near perfect.
Odell's!!! Do you want my address?

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Golden orange color with a slight haze. Nice thin head that remained throughout

S - Floral hop aroma with strong notes of citrus, especially grapefruit

T - An excellent citrus flavor that is never superseded by the hops. This is a flavorful IPA that is slightly sweet with a taste of grapefruit and a healthy hop backbone.

M - A medium-body beer with good carbonation and an oily feel that finishes cleanly.

D - A great IPA with excellent aftertaste.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Holy shit... I really wasn`t expecting this. What an amazing beer. Light straw in colour, off-white head with great retention, super piney hop smell and taste, mild citrus aroma, extreme dryness. This beer has it ALL. It rivals Stone IPA if you ask me. I`m going straight back to the store for more of this while I still can.

AMAZING!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

As expected, draught is better/more consistent than bottles. That said, bottled Odell IPA is better than most draughts.

appearance - a beautiful, golden color with a hint of cloudiness. Nice head, which is sustained.

smell - fruity, hoppy, unlike most IPAs. Very inviting.

taste - An incredible palette. Orange, spice, herb, citrus, hops without the bitter bite. There is a progression of flavors all the way through the finish. Unlike any other beer I have had.

mouthfeel - great body and solid carbonation.

drinkability - I cannot get enough. Smooth, highly flavorful, and easy to drink. Hopheads may be confused by this beer, since it has accomplished a truly unique experience. Most IPAs taste similar with overpowering bitter finish that is an acquired taste. Odell comes from a completely different angle that never disappoints. People who prefer mild beers may find it too much.

Absolutely one of my favorites. Odell is a first-rate microbrewer.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours light amber/honey color with thick foamy head. It most dissipates but still remains through drinking with excellent lacing on the side of the glass. Strong, citrus, piney, hoppy aroma. Citrus, malty taste up front with great piney hops on the back end. Leaves just right amount of bitter aftertaste. The malts and hops compliment each other very well.

4.7/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This is a great IPA that really hits on everything you would look for in an IPA.

A: It leaves some nice legs on the glass and pours with a slight head. The color is nice and light straw color leaving a tease of what is to come.

S: citrus and very slight malt with some hints of other greatness that my nose cannot define. However, when it is right it just right.

T: Refreshing is the first thought that comes to mind but the actual flavors presented are that of hops (duh), citrus, lemon peel and pine.

M: Some brewery IPA's are pushing the envelope on flavor at the sacrifice of overall mouthfeel; this keeps it fresh and medium bodied.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Like almost everything else from Odells, this is very good. Very tasty and very well-balanced. Naturally, as an IPA, hops are prevalent but not an overtly or obnoxiously aggressive manner. The piney, floral aroma is nice and subdued. The hop bitterness is well-balanced by the malts and the complexity of the flavors mask the strong alcohol content. Easy to drink despite high ABV.

4.69/5  rDev +10.6%

Just out of the fridge, poured from a 12oz bottle with date 092909 and raised leaves around the neck and a guy riding a bucking elephant redeo style on the label. Thanks to bonsreeb85 for this goody.

Pours a bright clear goldenrod/orange. Nice bubbly head leaving spotty lacing as it dissipates.

Aroma is strong! I'm smelling peach and pineapple, pine, grapefruit, orange, so much juicy fruit and hops. I already know its gonna be so delicious.

Taste is so well balance. Hop blast up front with a great citrus flavor. Immediately balanced with malty sweetness for a great drinking experience. It has a sweet bread like flavor and feel to it.

Very oily hop texture. Medium body with just the right amount of carbonation. So good. Drinkability is great for this 7% beast and the IPA lover. Cheers!

4.69/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Picked up a bottle while traveling through Wichita, Kansas. Sure glad I did.

Pours a translucent bronze/gold with 2 finger fluffy white head. Nice lacing. Strong carbonation is apparent.

Nose is terrific. Tons of Oranges and Hops. Dank resinous aroma.

Taste matches the nose. First come oranges and melons. Then wonderful fresh-piney hops. The malts and resin complete the well roundedness of the taste.

Medium bodied with strong carbonation.

Fantastic beer! Expectations were high with this having a glowing reputation from my friends living in Colorado. Completely lived up to expectation. Wish I had bought more.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Served in a shaker, it pours a golden amber color, diaphanous and clear as crystal, with a good one inch foamy head with good retention and good lacing.

The bouquet is citric, but other fruits prevail. Tropical notes of passion fruit, mango, papaya, pineapple, tangerine. Assertive and delicious.

Balanced all throughout. The malty sweetness is intertwined with the fruity notes and the hoppy bitterness from the very beginning, and the finish is long. Once it started to warm up a bit the pine became evident too.
Good and pleasant carbonation. Medium to full body, extra smooth and silky; you drink a fruity cream with this one.

Excellent beer, one that I will seek again for sure.

4.69/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This one is interesting, but pretty good. The nose is fairly strong with grapefruit and a bit of pine. The taste is very balanced with malt and hops. The bitterness is honestly not that high. It's there, but unlike many other IPAs where you can really detect that bitterness up front. The hop taste is pretty nice. The best I can describe it as is juicy. A juicy flavor. It's not my favorite, but it is still very delicious. The taste of malt and hops lingers in your mouth longer than other IPAs I've had. The mouthfeel is medium and wet. The only thing I would like more from this beer is a little more bittering hops. If they bumped it to 70 ibu instead of the original 60, it would be perfect for me. But that is simply my preference. Overall, this is a great beer. It is not a hop monster like some others are. But I would definitely drink it again. And I will. Probably tomorrow.

Update: My palate must have been just a bit off the night I initially reviewed this beer. The aroma of this IPA is insane. You can just smell the resin and oils in the glass. The taste is less juicy than I previously reviewed. Overall, I just can't stop smelling this beer. It is really incredible.

4.68/5  rDev +10.4%

Spot on appearance. Cloudy light amber. Lovely white head and lacings like chalk marks all the way down.

Nice rounded citrus aroma with a proper caramel malt backbone.

There's no flavour that really stand out, and I mean that in the best way. Everything is combined perfectly to create an incredibly balanced AIPA. A sort of citrus sweetness up front, quickly gives way to some resinous pine, and it's all backed up by quality caramel malt. Just a touch of alcohol in the finish, hence just short of exceptional for me. Soft bitterness lingers long after the finish.

The perfect balance of this beer makes it more drinkable than most AIPAs (or DIPAs). Top notch beer.

4.68/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Copper pour, a finger of white head, excellent lacing. Nice looking IPA. Nose is fruity citrus hops. Maybe a bit of cookie malt. Flavor is likewise - huge hops. Fruity citrus flavors. A touch of spice at the back of the mouth. As with the nose, a touch of malty biscuits. Smooth - no element of bitter bite, just a nice balanced beer, particularly impressive given the hop content. Strong carbonation works well with the hop presence. Really a delicious beer, one that I'd have again if I could find it.

Odell IPA from Odell Brewing Company