Odell IPA | Odell Brewing Company

Added by rowew on 03-02-2007

Reviews: 712 | Ratings: 2,968
4.56/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours very nicely and with a good, sustained head with sticky lacing. Pure orangeish gold in color. Smells amazing, one of the best hop smells of any beer out there. Very Piney and fresh smelling with plenty of floral notes. Not exactly sure which hops they used, but you can tell Odell has good control over their hops. Taste is somewhat biscuity, with a sweet hop freshness. Again, more floral taste here. A little citrus, and it finishes only slightly bitter with a lingering hop aftertaste. Definately know you are drinking an IPA, but it isn't overwhelming. Mouthfeel and drinkability are good, and it goes down smooth without excessive bite. I'm not a huge hophead, but this is one of my favorate IPAs, and one that everyone should try. Definately Odell's best brew in my opinion.

4.1/5  rDev -3.5%

Coming out of the bottle this looks like a clear egg yolk color, when held up to the light in my glass though it has a copper looking color with a one inch creamy looking head that stays on the edges of the beer. Lots of big bubbles stay a top of the beer with nice soapy lacing clinging to the glass.

Smells like ripe fruit. I always get that strong grapefruit smell, some honey, lemon, Pine, musky earth like smells(fresh dirt), wet hay. I always like the smell of IPAS.

Taste is a little less flavor full then the smell. I get mainly an upfront slightly bitter taste with some pine, honey, this evolves into some bread like malts and a semi-sweet finish.

Mouthfeel is a little on the bitter side(not extreme)with good amounts of carbonation. Like someone else said, leaves a crisp clean aftertase.

Reasonably price and good flavor makes this have good drink ability.

4.56/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Hazy golden with a tinge of orange. Minimal white head.

Probably the best IPA I've ever smelled. Intense Floral hops, citrus and pine needles.

Well balanced. Hops are prevelant but not bitter. Really remarkable in its smoothness.

Great mouthfeel too. Chunky and full. To nitpick, I'd like to a see a little more carbonation.

Great beer. Probably my new favorite IPA.

3.66/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

I've had this before, but never in the capacity to rate it. Thanks to SupeWhite92 for reintroducing us, as well as saying hello to a bunch of beers I have yet to be formally acquainted with. :D

A big inch & a half of yellowed off-white froth develops over a clear, wheaty gold body. Lace is akin to a sticky DIPA: a.k.a., ugly & all over the place.

Aroma is so damn green with leaves & imaginary chunks of hop pellets grinding in between your fingers. (I actually drank Odell's new red a few days ago, & got the same intense hop aroma. Another bottle is in the queue for a review :o) Nothing else can make it through though. Not absurdly overpowering or sharp, but deep & rich in the perfume of pine & tangerine rind. Malt is apparently nonexistent. Not sure if I like that.

Feel is quite under-carbonated; slightly wheaty. Taste is much bitter-sweet tangerine rind, leafy greans, & lemon grass. Minoring slightly in sheet metal, the flavor thankfully has some notion in the back end of grainy malt & earth. It remains relatively juicy & sweet if you ignore everything else. It washes away pretty clean.

Too green to my liking, but it's what the people want, right? I remember this being a little more "dank" the last time I had it(a year+ ago). It's gotten better. Still not a hophead, but I can enjoy this. :)

4.52/5  rDev +6.4%

A: 12 oz. brown bottle with a fantastic label. Deep golden body; slightly red in the center and pretty hazy. 3/4" cream colored head that leaves light lace stickage.

S: Infectious grapefruit and pine throughout, especially pine! Dare I say, Pliny the Elder-esque?!

T: Great Hop Flavor... Pine Resin! Pronounced orange peel character. A hop head's wet dream.

M: Medium-Full. The sappy hops reach every corner of the mouth.

D: Wonderful IPA... gone in a flash.

Notes: Like I said before, a lot of qualities that remind me of Pliny the Elder. I know my experience w/both is minimal, but I have to say I much prefer Odell to the more famous New Belgium as far as Ft. Collins breweries are concerned.

4.05/5  rDev -4.7%

Poured into New Belgium Globe Glass

Pours a 1 finger pillow top head, slightly off white. Good retention and lacing. Color is a golden orange sunset.

Aroma is of honey and earthy, musky hops, and bready malts.

Taste is pretty good. Very hoppy. The hops are very earthy. Honey flavors and citrus notes are also present. Very zesty taste.

Mouthfeel is very bitter. It seems to be very cold on the mouth, but it was a good thing. It is as if you are drinking ice water on a 100 degree weather day. It leaves a very clean aftertaste for an IPA.

Overall, this is a solid IPA and I wish I would have gotten more of this. It has a great hop flavor and a very clean aftertaste. I definitely think it rates up to two-hearted.

4.77/5  rDev +12.2%

Got a bottle as a "extra" in a trade with JMBSH, thanks!

A: Pours a cloudy orange with a decent head, nice lacing through the drink.

S: Smells great! Like hops and grapefruit, I thought of Blind Pig or PTE when I smelled this beer.

T: Taste is awesome, grapefruit hops and some malt are predominant with me and I love it.

M&D: This is almost a perfect IPA in my opinion, not overboard and not too weak. I went to throe the bottle in the recycle bin today and smell it and it still smelled of grapefruit. This was like a West Coast IPA but it's wasn't...I loved this beer. If I could get it here it would be my #1 go to beer!

Thanks for the trade!

4.37/5  rDev +2.8%

A-Pours a hazy golden peach with a very small amount of head and lacing.

S-Wow! Lots of grapefruit hops with strong peach notes underneath. Awesome!

T-Not as good as the nose but still quite nice. Some malt sweetness in the front, grapefruit hoppy bitterness taking over in the middle and finishing a bit sweet with the hops.

M-Excellent. Medium bodied with excellent moderate carbonation, slightly resinous but still light.

D-Damn but I wish I had easy access to this beer, instead of the one beer that I got in trade. One of the most drinkable IPAs I have had. Ever.

HV

4.18/5  rDev -1.6%

Poured into a New Belgium globe glass.

Poured a 1 finger head, that dissipated over a minute or so. Golden orange in color.

Smells hoppy, Piney, and citrusey.

Tastes pretty hoppy, and a little bit watery.

Mouthfeel is very good. medium carbonation leaving me with a crisp feeling.

This beer is easy to drink. Its a very good IPA.

4.1/5  rDev -3.5%

Odell is always solid and this is a great IPA. Having it bottled is good but there is something a little extra on tap. Great hoppiness and a full body without a lingering after taste make this a top 10 beer, especially on the IPA list. A light fruity flavor adds to the complexity.

4.53/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Pours a clear golden color with a whipped egg white head that just won't quit; lacing galore

Smell: Lots of citrusy hops; pink grapefruit juice

Taste: The hops are front and center, with grapefruit at the outset; there is some malty sweetness that develops to balance but this is all about the grapefruit

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate, but prickly carbonation

Drinkability: Right up there with the folks from San Diego; outstanding; very citrusy, but not overly bitter

4.17/5  rDev -1.9%

Poure from a 12oz brown bottle into a clear glass tumbler. Freshness date on label. Single purchased from Skee Vue Liquors (Breckenridge, CO) for $1.49.

A: Pleasant burnt orange with sticky off-white 2--finger head with good retention and nice lacing.

S: Pungent citrus and leafy tobacco hops give a hard-edged earthy tone to this hops vehicle. There are a few sweet malt aromas as well.

T: As with other Odell offerings, the malt load is more than adequate to provide a solid medium-sweet caramel/toffee counterflavor. Delicious citrus and leaf hops flavors come on strong without being too harsh.

M: Slick and coating with relatively low carbonation and excellent citrus and earthy hops aftertaste.

D: I haven't had the opportunity to try many Odell brews, but this one takes their usual recipe of solid craftsmanship and adds a spicy, citrus hops exclamation point. Nice beer.

4.03/5  rDev -5.2%

Pours a cloudy orange toned gold with a creme head. Nose is tight citrus. Seems like pineapple juice. Flair is acrid, bitter, and slightly salty. Citrus tones are well in the back as an almost afterthought. Feel is smooth on liquid with a just as smooth carbonation. Pretty nice IPA. A bit rough though and might overpower some peoples interest.

4.15/5  rDev -2.4%

Pours a cloudy golden color with a small white head that dissipates. Aroma is citrus and pine resin hops. Flavor is nice and smooth, hops dominate and nice bitter aftertaste in the finish that isn't too overwhelming. Mouthfeel is medium with med-light carbonation Crisp and clean this is a top notch IPA. Highly drinkable and refreshing.

4.16/5  rDev -2.1%

Appearance: The Odell IPA is an incredibly pale orange (almost yellow) color with a heap of effervescence in the sound of the pour. One would almost think this is a heavy wheat beer by the color. Upon first pour, I got a solid four finger head in my tulip glass. Unfortunately once you lose the head it's pretty much gone, which I find is indicative of a flatter (less-rounded) beer. Let's hope I'm wrong.

Nose: Holy CRAP! My nose is smiling from nostril to nostril right now because right out of the bottle this stuff smells exactly like Bell's Hopslam! There is tons of citrus (mainly pineapple and grapefruit) rounded out with some beautiful summertime peach. There are also miles and miles of aromatic hops just punching you in the nasal cavity. If this beer tastes like it smells I have just hit the jackpot because it's affordable and easy to find around these here parts.

Taste: Well...the bad news first; it unfortunately doesn't taste as insanely breathtaking as Hopslam. Does that mean it's bad? Not at all. The good news is that there are a lot of the same characteristics in this beer that you'd hope for in an IPA or DIPA; they just seem to be overly muted somehow. The intensity I look for in this type of beer is just not there like I'd hoped or like the smell would insinuate. In other words, this beer is being a little bashful for its own good.

Palate: Definitely a medium body on the palate and there is a good amount of carbonation to carry the flavors through your mouth nicely. However, there is a huge difference in this beer when there is some head to escort the flavors down. If the head has dissipated too much, then the beer tends to lack a strong (what I like to call 'bright') finish.

Overall: The aromas that come out of this glass in the first three to five minutes are undeniably the shining stars. I mean my hopes got extremely high before actually tasting this one. The fact that this beer comes in a six-pack and is readily available in my city is a good thing. I can see spending some quality time in warm afternoons on the deck with these, and with every smell I'll be dreaming of January when I can hopefully get my hands on the next batch of Hopslam.

4.32/5  rDev +1.6%

A: Very clear with a golden-orange color with a nice thick white head and good lacing

S: Very grapefruity and very strong, pleasant smell

MF: medium-bodied with mild, but prickly, carbonation

T: A bit astringent, but not unpleasant. Certainly the grapefruity hops provide a clean, hoppy taste without undue maltiness. There is a bit of bitterness in the finish.

D: Smooth though a bit palette killing. Doesn't taste or feel like strong alcohol. Deceptive.

Appearance - Golden in color with an off-white head that coats the glass all the way down.

Smell - Very citrusy hops with hints of honey.

Taste - Sweet hops with some caramel malt showing through. A little bit of honey and butter are present as well.

Mouthfeel - Smooth and creamy with a finer carbonation.

Drinkability - This is my favorite beer. Incredibly smooth and balanced for an IPA, this is actually the very IPA that got me started on the style. I could have sworn I had reviewed it before, but I guess I was wrong. For the price, its the best beer going.

4.65/5  rDev +9.4%

This Beer is so well balanced it is scary.

It has a great copper color and great head retention, could be a little lighter in color but it is still very nice to look at.

Smells great, A lot of bitter citrus hops and some sweet malt. Makes me thirsty just writing about it.

Tastes oh so good. Hoppy yet well balanced. My favorite tasting IPA.

Mouth feel is great, but nothing crazy here, just feels medium bodied like it should.

Drinkability, after 2 or 3 it starts getting a we-heavy but it is an IPA, I want to drink two of these before every nap I take for the rest of my life.

4.15/5  rDev -2.4%

Appearance: A hazy bright copper with a large off-white head.

Aroma: Toffee with tangerines and lemons - very nice.

Taste: Wheat bread initially, with lemons, grapefruit, and oranges later. The swallow finishes with a nice but not overpower bitterness. The bitterness has a nice lingering effect.

MF: Medium with a medium carbonation level, and a medium finish.

Drinkability: A very drinkable IPA. Very enjoyable.

4.59/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

S: Bottle into a pint glass.

A: Light amber-yellow color, very tasty looking. Large fluffy off white head, lacing down the glass the entire time.

S: Smells quite piney, with some citrus fruit, lots of hops with a bright smell. Makes me happy!

T: Like god. Very strong, very bitter, very piney and resiny. Nice pale malts sitting in the back, carrying the glorious hops into your body.

M: Medium carbonation, just perfect.

D: Drinkable, I would drink this by the case.

4.25/5  rDev 0%

i forced a good appearance outta this one the way i poured it.... finished the pour a foot above the glass which yielded 3 fingers of incredibly chunky uneven head which sank slowly leaving a puzzle of lace notching at every sip, color was mostly clear amber

smell was an initial slap of piney hops with cameos of spice, grapefruit, and lime, very sharp and refreshing, i wouldn't mind myself an Odell IPA scented candle to fumigate my life after the beer was gone

taste was an extension of the smell, loads of hops overpower the malt, maybe a little understated compared to the proficiency of the aroma, but flavor was nice and sharp, resiny pine with a bright finish

mouthfeel was pretty light-medium bodied with subtle carbonation (the flavor itself was sharp enough to allow for a carbonation deficiency in my opinion), oily for the most part and a slightly dry finish. a gin lover would appreciate this beer

this beer goes down very easily (a 7% abv may give initiative to slow down, but it's in one ear out the other). the only weakness to this beer was how quick it was gone

overall, its a very refreshing, crisp IPA from a fantastic brewery, Odell has yet to let me down!

4.2/5  rDev -1.2%

A: Honey color, golden edges, hazy. White clumpy, sticky head. Leaves a long sticky lace down the glass.

S: Piney smell from the hops, juicy smell of fruit - some apple, some grapefruit. Clean smell...

T: Fruity malt sweetness right away on the tongue, still get some trace of apple. Hops come in, although not as strong as a lot of IPAs I've had. However, the hop flavor is very nice - woodsy flavor. Aftertaste is of lemon peel, grapefruit.

M: Great feel, body is fine. Smooth...

D: Very tasty ale. Flavors are pleasant, and a very drinkable IPA. I enjoy this IPA very much...

4.25/5  rDev 0%

12 ounce bottle, has some numbers stamped onto the label, but no clue how to figure out there meaning. Pours clear, typical lighter amber, with bubbles rising to the top and capped with a lovely, frothy just off white head, tha leaves great streaks and wildly patterened lace. NIce looking beer. The nose is equally exemplary, with fresh hop notessticking out so that even my low skilled sniffer can revel in the freshness. I get notes of fresh fruits, apricots and perhaps mangoes as another reviewer mentioned. Plenty of more smooth and tasty hop notes, citrus and grainy goodness. High quality, complex and thoroughly enjoyable Colorado IPA, seek it out and enjoy!

3.78/5  rDev -11.1%

on tap at papago...

pours a hazy pale copper color with a soft soap foam-like head. immense amounts of foam rings and webby lace is almost unreal.

the aroma is very earthy... almost like wood with notes of grapefruit, leafy hops, pine and caramel maltiness.

malt sweetness is a touch high for me but the level of bitterness and it's parching qualities keep me coming back. the flavor reminds me of sweetened yellow grapefruit juice (the real thing not the canned crap)... along with a solid malt backbone, orange pith and peel and some pine-like leafy green hops.

the body is medium but the carbonation is very soft which makes it really creamy on the tongue.

this is a great food friendly beer that can be consumed all night! 7/4/7/4/16/3.8

4.6/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

12oz bottle bought from the brewery. survived the plane ride in baggage back to Jersey in Sept 08.

beer is holding up very nicely at 6 months. no trace of sediment when bottled beer is held up to light.

Great aroma of hops, predominantly amarillo. very little head with lots of wonderful lacing along the pint glass. yellow-golden color with great carbonation retention right down to the last gulp. extremely drinkable - a phenomenal session beer and exceedingly deceptive - i'd never know this was 7% without looking at the label. mouthfeel is smooth and almost creamy; a testament to the malt backbone and the great balance of this beer. the finish develops a nice hop bitterness and is long without being too long and overpowering.

I recall liking several of the beers at this brewery including the porter and the 90 Shilling, but there's a reason I bought a 6-pack of this home with me. Fantastic stuff.

Odell IPA from Odell Brewing Company