Runoff Red IPA | Odell Brewing Company

2.5/5  rDev -38.1%

2.75/5  rDev -31.9%

2.75/5  rDev -31.9%

2.76/5  rDev -31.7%

A- Bubbly, rocky just-off-tan head which leaves some beautiful lacing around my pint glass. The color is a slightly hazy reddish-brown orange. Slight visible carbonation, a very nice looking brew.

S- Caramelized hops, bitter hops, lightly toasted hops-- a lot of hops in the nose, obviously. Just behind them is a sweet malty backbone-- seamless blending of the two characteristics, it's hard to tell where exactly one ends and the other begins, and that is exceptional craftsmanship in my opinion. Just a tad too much hops for me.

T- Again, a hops forward beer. Despite the inviting and complex smell, the taste is surprisingly one-dimensional; flat hops. Metallic aftertaste, where's the counter balancing malt? Just barely any sweetness. Really, there is no depth here. Wtf, Odells? No much strength of flavor either; tastes watered down. Lacking, this beer needs to be brought up to par.

M- Like water; thin, no tensile strength noticeable. Decent coating, however, and no lingering aftertaste unpleasantness.

D- Eh. This doesn't taste that good. How can I drink a beer that doesn't taste good? I didn't buy it to look at or smell. It doesn't taste bad, it's just not good. Low drinkability in that case.

2.8/5  rDev -30.7%

Paired with meatloaf and blue cheese, supreme cuisine.

A bit pricey for a 6'er, at $10
Poured from the brown bottle into pub glass producing about 2 inches of off white foamy head. Tan really. Settling after a good amount of time to leave a thick froth cap of retention. Sticky webbings of lace. Color is a red amber, transparent.
Aroma of pungent fruity hops, sweet malt and caramel, touch of nuttiness. Hops are sweet nectar like and floral with juicy sweet aroma. definatly the showcase of the aroma profile.

Taste is not carrying over the hops from aroma. It tastes a bit more sour with more of a herbal sour hop bitterness and acidic flavor. Aspirin is one flavor that comes to mind.
mid malt sweetness present. Its flavorfull, but not flavors I particularly desire.
Mouthfeel is thin and crisp.

I feel a bit robbed of my $10.

2.85/5  rDev -29.5%

Odell Red

Perhaps a touch old, I’ll need to look up the dating here but what appears to be the best by date of 6/15/11 so a bit too close, but we shall see. Brewer says this beer is still in the best by range so lets go!

Really nice thick head a darker cream colored head, leaving wonderful lacing on top of a dark red body. Decent clarity perhaps but this beer is rather opaque and provides a deep ruby color.

Light toast, hops, I have to say this beer really is reminding me of smelling pot (for me not a good smell).

Hoppy, watery, bready, red ale at it’s finest. A red with wonderful American hop bite that dominates the red ale’s caramel malt. I certainly have had red’s with better malt profiles, a bit more toast and caramel. The malt here is a bit weak especially given the 6.5%. The English have done far more with reds with under 5% abv, but the American hop power is rather good.

Good carbonation, somewhat thin body, extremely drinkable as it should be.

I need more malt in a red and while I enjoy the hops here am not excited by this beer. I don’t like rating to style, but keeping style in mind this beer is a weird malted IPA or an over hopped and under/poorly malted red.

2.86/5  rDev -29.2%

12fl oz bottle poured into my tulip

Pours a vibrant ruby like color with a three inch off-white head. Great head retention with a nice layer sticking on top and the edges of the beer. Nice layers of lacing cling to the sides of my glass.

Nice aroma of citrus hops. With some grapefruit, apricots, and some passion fruit. Bread like malts.

Very little citrus flavor in the taste unlike I got in the aroma. Some bread and cracker like malts is about the only thing I can taste. This bottle must be pretty old I guess.

Mouthfeel is borderline on thin and lacking flavor(in flavor I mean hops)with high carbonation. Aftertaste is not that pleasant either.

Overall I' am disappointed with this beer, hopefully I get to try this beer when it is more fresh.

3.01/5  rDev -25.5%

Hops and pine. The more I drink, the more I like it, but it's still just too hoppy for me.

3.03/5  rDev -25%

Odell's red ale came out of the bottle an awesome red color with a fluffy off white head.

The aroma was very hoppy but present were notes of caramel and maybe some toffee.

The beer starts sweet and finishes bitter but is not very memorable in either department. This is not helped by a watery mouth feel.

The beer is pretty average overall and there are many many red ales to go for if you are looking for something impressive in the style.

3.06/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

More people buy IPAs than other beers.....but that's no reason to call an Amber Ale an IPA. I notice in the accompanying photo that it USED TO BE called Red Ale...nuff said.

This is a very good Amber ale.....sweet, very malt-forward, nice deep red color....Caramel and Munich malts for sure. No evidence of much of any hops. Not too heavy, sessionable.

So it's just NOT an IPA. Go back to the correct category, and sell it that way. There's no shame in making a very good, full-body, winter brew.

3.08/5  rDev -23.8%

Too hoppy for my taste

3.17/5  rDev -21.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

3.18/5  rDev -21.3%

Red IPA. not to be mean. But weak knees compared to Odell's regular IPA. this red seasonal is good, not phenomenal and rich like Odell IPA, or great with a kick Mercenary. Good beer. For the same price I can drink. Too light for my taste compared to Odell's other masterfull IPA, not citrusy bright, and refreshing such as Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA, or Stone's Delicious IPA. A beer not to turn down if offered it tastes good, but I will buy these others before I ever purchase this again.

3.19/5  rDev -21%

Big, hoppy colorful ale.

A wild red-orange color. Nice lacing and pleasant carbonation contribute to an good mouth feel. Peculiar smell of Band Aids. Seems fairly rich and malty but very sharp with a bit much of the grapefruit peel. Hops are the big story, which I guess is one option for this "anything goes" style. To me it's more of an IPA with the big resiny flavors and long, long bitter aftertaste. Hops are actually pretty good.

Candy-like flavors are balanced by the bitterness. Makes a bold statement if you want an assertive brew. Let a couple of fingers warm up and it's a good exercise in hop tasting, whatever their blend might be.

3.25/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Runoff Red IPA from Odell Brewing Company