Odell DeConstruction Golden Ale | Odell Brewing Company

Odell Brewing Company
Colorado, United States
odells.com

Style: American Wild Ale

A Golden Ale created by blending the final recipe with its own barrel aged pilot beers fermented with wild yeasts. Each individual barrel contributes a unique flavor from the wood chosen and the cultures resident to achieve subtle complexities that develop(ed) over time. A beer which starts sweet, filling the mouth with fruit-like esters and a mild spiciness, changing to a tart and lingering flavor reminiscent of grapefruit living amidst an earthy, citrusy hop aroma. Define flavor for yourself in this constantly evolving liquid expression.

Added by mcallister on 08-04-2010

2.99/5  rDev -26.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a 12 oz snifter

A: Reddish orange with a solid 3-4 fingers of head

S: Really nice, like I hope for in a wild ale. A lot of sour-like smells I associate with the wild yeast strains and some nice sweeter tropical fruit notes to balance. The smell got me pretty excited.

T: Not what I expected or wanted really. Really fruity sweet and very boozy. This would have worked for me if some of the tartness would have come through, but for me it didn't.

M: Insanely over-carbonated, distracted from the taste

O: I wanted to like this, I really did. Could be because I found the taste so different from what I was expecting base don the smell. Also, I thought that it ultimately lacked the tartness (even a little would have been nice) that I have come to appreciate from a wild. I bought two bottles and will let the other age for a while, perhaps that will change my perspective.

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

4.08/5  rDev +0.5%

This was a big brew so I needed a wingman to assist. Thanks B.

A: Poured a beautiful copper color. Monster three finger fluffy off-white head with lots of yeast floaties...amazing lacing and retention 30 minutes after the pour.

S: Slight fresh hop aroma, lemon zest, butterscotch, little to no sweetness, granny smith apples with an alcohol twinge.

T: First wave is grapey sourness and white wine. Body is similar to a lemon bundt cake that has combined with holiday pumpkin bread. Last wave of flavor is loaded with a sweet oaky resin and smoky char. The barrel aging makes for an evolution of flavor.

M: Mild alcoholic burn. Slightly sticky and finishes very dry. Abundant carbonation if not overwhelming. You could power a hot air balloon with this thing.

O: I don't know what gave me a harder time, the fallen mutt or the labyrinth of flavors from this titan of a beer. This beer is complex so don't go at it alone. The aging in the wine barrels really elevate this beer to something special.

3.73/5  rDev -8.1%

Poured from tap into half pint at brewers republic in co springs. Pours a hazy creamy orange with thin white head. Slight malt aroma and slight yeast...its a very mild aroma brew. Taste is big orange citrus with sweet malts and slight yeast profile. I expected a lot more wild in this beer. Its way over sweet over malted...but the flavor is good. Worth a try but so glad I didn't buy a bomber...

2.75/5  rDev -32.3%

4.75/5  rDev +17%

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

4.75/5  rDev +17%

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

4.62/5  rDev +13.8%

750ml bottle poured into a tulip glass. In hindsight, I wish I would have held out and let this age some more, I think it would have tamed the froth a little and made the flavors more pronounced. That being said, I'll be getting a cpl more and laying them down for later!

A- Dark reddish-orange and hazy with a ridiculous amount of frothy head, so much so that i felt it detracted from the beers appearance. Very little carbonation left in the brew, no runners bubbling up my glass.

S- Really picking up the sweet wine smell,laced in with citrus. If I could say summer had a particular smell, this is reminiscent of it for me. Evokes a good feeling.

T- The best representation of a wild ale I've had so far. Where others really have the wild yeast dominate, this one has a balance that makes it much more drinkable for me. It is sweet throughout, also somewhat peppery. Some sourness, similar to the acidity in a lemon, tangelo or grapefruit. Theres alot packed in there and its still not overwhelming, cant detect the high ABV as a result.

O- I'm very impressed. On the short list of my beers to remember this year. And I think this one will be even better when aged!

4.18/5  rDev +3%

Appearance - Served in a six-ounce sampler. Was very basic looking. Dark orange/yellow. Thin head.

Smell - It smelt complex: spicy, laden with subtle fruit notes and even some belgian sugars.

Taste - We decided it tasted like bananas and whiskey ultimately. But it was very interesting for a golden ale. I would have suspected it to be an American take on a BPA or Biere De Garde if it were a blind test.

Mouthfeel - fairly pleasant, but nothing to write home about.

Overall - very interesting, complex and a traditional-ish approach to a new American style. Would order it again! (Also, it's strong as hell).

3.86/5  rDev -4.9%

750 mL bottle courtesy of skycracksopen. It was poured into my Bruery tulip.

Deconstruction pours a lightly hazy orange, with about three fingers of fluffy white foam crowning the beer. Head retention and lacing are both surprisingly good for a high ABV wild ale. The nose is highlighted by some fruity white wine aromas, with supporting notes of alcohol and cracked black pepper. The flavor profile leads off with some peach centric stone fruit notes. Some clove and pepper phenols follow, before a vinous acidity jumps to the forefront. A muted earthy funk then fades in to provide a mild finish. The body is fairly dry, especially considering the ABV. Carbonation is a little low though, leading to the mouthfeel feeling just a bit flabby. I love the idea behind Deconstruction, and the end result is a very fine wild ale.

3.88/5  rDev -4.4%

Blind BIF 7 beer review:

Pours a dark golden color with an ample white head. 4.0
Big smell of Brett fats off the giant head. Further smelling leads to more flavors of Brett and additional light apple. Smells pretty nice. 3.5
The taste is confusing. The presumed Brett not only drives the flavor, but dries out the finish substantially. First pass, a bit of metallic joins smaller amounts of malt sweetness. More time and the beer opens up to bring more of that apple flavor, no more metallic and improved balance of sweetness. It reminds me of some odd combination of Fantome Extra Sour and Jacks Abbey Biere De Garde Brett beer. That slightly fruity sweetness that emerges over time and the (again presumed) Brett dryness are clearly not for everyone, but I am digging it as I explore further. 4.0
At first, this beer was over carbed with a medium body and some fear that I would never get through it. As its opened up, it's become highly drinkable. I am having trouble with the ABV because the sweetness that normally gives things away is covered by the dryness. 4.0
Overall, I was suspicious that this would not be all that great early, but it has really grown on me. 4.0

Reveal - Odell Deconstruction. Woah! Partially wine barrel aged blend of golden ales with "wild yeasts and lacto". The presumably white wine barrels totally threw me off. Very interesting! Thanks for the awesome start!

Odell DeConstruction Golden Ale from Odell Brewing Company