Myrcenary Double IPA | Odell Brewing Company

Odell Brewing Company
Colorado, United States
odells.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Named for Myrcene, a component of essential oils in the hop flower, Myrcenary Double IPA is our tribute to those who revere the illustrious hop, and their unyielding exploit to craft hop forward beers. Brewed with a blend of hops containing the highest levels of Myrcene, this double IPA prevails with a tropical fruit-like flavor, a pungent floral aroma, and a clean getaway.

70 IBUs

Added by Bitterbill on 02-18-2011

Ratings: 2,879 |  Reviews: 587

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

4.49/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle into snifter. best before 11/29/13.

A: a slight haze on a bright blond body. head is bright white and super frothy. great retention and even better lacing.

S: a lot of kiwi. orange juice. good bit of citrus. a healthy dose of grain to keep things in balance. resinous and super inviting.

T: welcoming malt and hop flavor. sticky but refreshing. fruity, but not too much to defeat balance. the bitterness is actually pretty non existent. lingering sweet and hop flavors. a mild alcohol heat, but minimal.

M: a really soft drink. carb is just velvety enough to be super smooth.

D: this is really good stuff. great hop flavor and aroma, not overwhelming or overpowering. just a great double IPA. this should be on more peoples radar.

4.25/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

poured from a 12 oz bottle into a large tulip glass... tonight, in my search for the perfect IPA, I am comparing this with New Belgium Rampant IPA and Ballast Point Sculpin IPA.

Compared to those two, I would rate Rampant the best overall, and Sculpin the lowest.

Myrcenary has some great fruit notes not found in the others: apricot?!? plums?!? it's different from most of the IPA's I have tasted, and different in a good way. The finish is slightly sweet, makes me want to open another bottle.

Bang for the buck: it's not as good a deal as New Belgium Rampant IPA, but it's pretty darn good. Definitely in my top 20, and maybe in my top 10, just cuz the fruit is so unique!

4.07/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

I've heard so much about this brew, I'm excited to actually try it for myself. Hopefully it goes a little better than the last time I was excited to try a new beer.

The pour gets it off to a good start: Crisp clear and inviting. Golden body, like dehydrated piss (but meant in a good way), with a small creamy white head that sticks around until last call, leaving its indelible mark on the side of the glass as the liquid magically disappears.

Inviting aroma, albeit not particularly profound. Some round resinous residue clings to my nostrils, allowing passage of some smoothe caramel malt, some sweet fruits, a little citrus and a touch of pine. Dang, sweet hops you might say. ROUND.

We start out with that smoothe caramel which immediately gives way to the cascades of hoppy notes: tropical fruits layered with some floral herbal notes, tangerines and that good good coniferous character that evokes an homage to home.

The creamy/sweet caramel balances out the astringent citrus finish well enough that it is just clean, but reminds your tongue what you've been consuming, and what is about to be all up in its business again as soon as I lift it to my lips again.
This is very smoothe drinking for a... HOLY SHIT 9.3?!? OK, maybe that's hyperbole, but I would have guessed mid six just based on what's going on in my mouth (that came out wrong). But seriously: this is a very well crafted, well balanced beer from a brewery that I was largely unfamiliar with before moving to the midwest. Odell in general has been a GREAT discovery, and Myrcenary is no different. For an every day shelf DIPA, I'm very glad to be in their distro.

3.75/5  rDev -12%