Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Myrcenary Double IPA | Odell Brewing Company

Odell Brewing Company
Colorado, United States
odells.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Named for Myrcene, a component of essential oils in the hop flower, Myrcenary Double IPA is our tribute to those who revere the illustrious hop, and their unyielding exploit to craft hop forward beers. Brewed with a blend of hops containing the highest levels of Myrcene, this double IPA prevails with a tropical fruit-like flavor, a pungent floral aroma, and a clean getaway.

70 IBUs

Added by Bitterbill on 02-18-2011

#612
4.2

Ratings: 2,897 |  Reviews: 592

4.77/5  rDev +11.4%

Review from memory and notes

Serving Type - 12oz bottle

Great beer! the coloring is just right for the taste a smell, a deeper color than your standard DIPA, with more of an amber look to it. Smell is perfect, matching the taste in a very interesting way. Big floral and hoppy smell up front, with slight hints of yeast. Taste is perfect, a lot of hops, but enterprisingly not very bitter. A great taste with enterprisingly mild bitterness. I've never encountered a beer quite like this, and I am glad I did. Truly a great beer. Should be a must try for everyone.

4.38/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

So let me start by saying that this stuff is really friggin' good, and you should try it if you like IPA's and DIPA's. I've been holding off buying it because it's always $11 or $12 for a 4-pack, but after tasting it, I would probably pay that in the future. However, I did find it for $10 tonight and that was the right price point for me to get me into it.

Poured from a bottle into a goblet, and was suprised to see some suspension it the ale, enough to obscure my finger on the other side of the glass. The liquid is a pretty butterscotch color and yielded a small head from the pour. Leaves sparse lacing down the glass as you drink it down.

Nose on it is real nice, pineapple and mango fruits, a little yeast and malt - you can tell it's going to be really hoppy. Not to boozy, though, which is amazing, considering the amount of juice that's in this thing. Tastes great, but not melt-your-face-off hoppy like I thought it might be. It has some nice fruit flavors up front, and really robust backing from the malt and booze; one of the things I really enjoy about double-IPA's. Just like the bottle says, really clean finish.

Overall, I really like this one, and like I said, I would get it again and would probably fork over the extra buck or two even though it's a 4-pack. I don't really think I could see straight if I drank more than four of these, anyway. Nice job OBC!

4.75/5  rDev +11%

4.42/5  rDev +3.3%

Pale, lemony golden color. Almost hazy enough to look unfiltered, maybe it is. Small tight head that is gone all too quickly. Big grassy and lemon citrus aroma. Lots of hop flavor. Caramel malt sweetness. Lingering bitterness. I cant get enough of the balance between the hop flavor and the sticky malt I just love it when done right. Very solid mouthfeel. Great malty backbone just pulls this whole thing together. A great beer for my money, wish it could be a full time experience.

4.57/5  rDev +6.8%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass. Drank at 45F.

A - Cloudy dark orange body, substantial amount of meringue-like foam develops and lasts into the first few sips. Eventually fades down to a thick lace ring that lasts the rest of the way down. Good legs.

S - A standout in that I love beers that can mimic other esters with their hop and malt profiles. This one hits with alot of citrus and tropical fruit esters. Alot of times a beer hyped as "hoppy" is just that, heavy on the piney end. I don't get much of that here, its been developed into a fruit bomb. Well done!

T - Pineapple predominantly, grapefruit and tangerine as well. Also a bit of oakiness. Very unusual and so impressive that this is being done with a blend of hops, not just folded in or obtained artificially.

M - It lingers a bit heavy on the tongue, and there is a bit of alcoholic burn, but its pretty well done all around.

O - One of my most interesting brews as of late. I'll keep some back in the fridge for special occasions, not an everyday drinker in my book.

4.75/5  rDev +11%