Odell 90 Shilling Ale | Odell Brewing Company

Odell 90 Shilling AleOdell 90 Shilling Ale

Odell Brewing Company
Colorado, United States | website

Style: Scottish Ale

We introduced 90 Shilling, our flagship beer, at our opening party in 1989. For a while, we'd been wondering what would happen if we lightened up the traditional Scottish ale? The result is an irresistibly smooth and delicious medium-bodied amber ale.

Added by Todd on 01-27-2001

Reviews: 458 | Ratings: 1,672
Reviews by rickyleepotts:
3.17/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

We couldn't get Odell beers in Indiana, so when we moved to Arizona I fell in love. Their beers are really good, and I haven't been disappointed with anything I have had from them. For example, their IPA is delicious. Their double IPA, while not that hoppy, is a nice smooth flavor. They even do a double black IPA that is amazing! They recently dropped the price to $3.99 at Total Wine & More, and I grabbed a case!

Today we are doing the 90 Shilling. I have not had this beer, and have no idea what to expect. It's an ale… go figure! There is a wine associate at Total Wine that I chat with from time to time. He doesn't "get" beer and always jokes, "Any new ales or lagers in today?" He's funny!

This is a new journey for me and Odell, and I can't wait to drink this!

In the Glass: The beer is a light brown and has a nice thin white head. The lace is pretty good, and hang on to the side of the glass. It drops slowly, and just begs to be drank. Knowing what I do about Odell beers, I assume this is going to be great!

Nose: It smells like an ale. Not much going on in the nose, and I am getting subtle spices toward the end. Not much here, and I am not sure what that says about the flavor. Let's drink.

Flavor: There is a LOT more flavor here than I expected. At first there isn't much going on, and then as the beer slides across the back of the palate, the bubbles explode on the back of the tongue. The flavors I am getting are earthy and remind me a Washington state chardonnay. If you close your eyes, you can picture licking dirty rocks and chewing on pine cones. It's not a bad flavor, but it has a good earthy flavor that keeps me drinking.

Oh, and I will mention, that while writing this, I started chatting with JoShua McGuire (@Shua_MC on Twitter) about Odell and this beer. He seems to like the 90 Shilling and was drinking a Lugene when we were talking. Speaking of Lugene, if you like milk stouts, try it. But if you want to try a beer cocktail with that as the base, take 1 ounce of whipped cream or marshmallow puff vodka, mix the two together, and enjoy. You won't be sorry!)

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel starts thin and balanced, and then about halfway back it explodes with bubbles and those earthy flavors that I was talking about. It has a really nice complexity as you swallow, and the aftertaste (which is my favorite part of this beer) kicks in. Every time I swallow those flavors come rushing back to the surface. This is getting better as it heats up, too.

Aftertaste: I keep going back to those earthy flavors, but that is what I am tasting here. I wouldn't call this a dirty flavor, but it has a nice complexity that would pair nicely with food. I bet this would pair nicely with grilled meats or fried chicken. Maybe we can take a trip to Lo Lo's Chicken & Waffles and see. Highly out they have the 90 Shilling available, though!

Odell didn't let me down, but they also didn't blow me away with this offering. It's good, but not great. I would order this again, and will actually be looking for this on draft. I bet this is really good on draft. I bet this would even make a good cask beer. I can see this being served at room temperature. If you are a fan of Odell Brewing Company, then this should be a staple in your daily drinking.

4.21/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Thoroughly enjoyed from the 12 oz bottle in a snifter via a friend from work----Thanks Randy!

This Scottish ale pours a bright ruby amber with a modest head of off white foam that settles to a thick ring, thin pool, and very nice lacing. Nose of sweet brown sugars, mangoes, peaches, and fresh bread. Flavors exceed the nose with fruit forward notes of mangoes, peaches, and light brown sugar crusted bread on all sides that fade in the back of the taste with a very subtle herbal hop note. Surprising flavors from a Scottish. Medium mouth feel, medium carbonation, and a somewhat dry finish with a light grain note. A treat within the boundaries of the style. Solid and approachable. An excellent brew.

Cheers

3.96/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Really vibrant red-orange-brown color, with quick-rising bubbles and some sediment turbidity as well. Not much in the way of a bouquet—a bit of heat, dry sweet, odor of sticky pale-brown—and somewhat shallow, despite the label's claims of a "deeply pleasant aroma". Otherwise, this ale is very pleasant: in terms of texture, more of an amber with bite than a Scotch ale—but considering the stated goal of 90 Shilling was to create a lighter, brighter, more buoyant Scotch ale, I'd say this definitely succeeds. Not too sweet—a common failing of forays into this style—with good dry malt depth, excellent crispness, and a lot of barn-floor hay and turbinado-tinged malt-husk; also get notes of allspice and cumin, providing additional complexity. Not a home-run, but a stand-up double.

2.15/5  rDev -43.9%

Odell 90 Schilling Scottish Ale

A: Pours a light mohagany with ruby highlights. 1/4" of soda-like head...Nice colour, but the head is very odd.

S: Floral, bright scent--hops, and heather?. Some light to medium caramel malt. Sweetness lingers.

T: Odd floral hops and hop bitterness combines with a floral flavour to produce something not all that enjoyable. Crunchy malts lie in the background, but are swallowed by the other aspects. Artificial sweetness makes for an undesireable aftertaste.

M: Medium mouthfeel, with medium carbonation. Leaves the mouth semi-dry.

D: Not enjoyable as a Scotish 90- ale, or as a beer defying categorization. Not a fan.

2.11/5  rDev -44.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

12 oz bottle, poured into a shaker pint at approximately 40 degress F.

Appearance: Pours into the glass a hazy amber, towards the reddish-orange side of the amber hue spectrum. Forms a very thin head of almost light orange bubbles, which rapidly become a cap and ring. Held to light, one can very faintly make out a few streams of tiny bubbles heading skyward from the bottom of the glass. I admit some degree of trepidation, as I have found that I tend not to see orange in a beer unless it has a noticeable hop presence.

Smell: No, I showered today. Ba dum bump. The aroma opens with light, sweet caramel malt, wreathed through with some subtle suggestions of fruit - pear, raisin, and something citrusy. A soft grassy tone is off in the distance, like a fuzzy horizon.

Taste: Caramel malt with some vague toffee hints spills onto the tongue first, and then the 90-ton citric-herbal-earthy hoproller cruises in to crush it into nonexistence - leaving just perfume on my palate. Definitely not what I look for in a Scotch ale.

Mouthfeel: Difficult to tell around the full frontal assault on my tastebuds, if I'm being honest. I suppose it feels like a Scotch ale.

Overall: Once again, my sensitivity to hop flavors has me arching an eyebrow at anyone who has reviewed this beer as "malty" and mentioned nothing of any hop presence at all. They are literally all I get out of this beer, aside from a brief flash of caramel malt at the outset. Will not repeat.

3.38/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

3.6/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.59/5  rDev -6.3%

The 90 Shilling pours from the bottle a dark red amber with a small bubbly head that quickly fades to a ring around my glass. Aromas of rich caramel and toffee meet a nice underlying bready molasses. Dark fruit and brown sugar...big maltiness. Herbal hops peek in and out as well.

First sip brings a wave of burnt caramelly maltiness with hints of bread dough and toffee. Sweet upfront with a herbal hoppiness that brings some bitterness on the way down. Dark fruitiness in the middle with a vague hint of chocolate. A nice, flavorful brew overall.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and creamy with fast moving carbonation. I wouldn't mind the carb being tuned down a little as it seems to step over the body of the brew. Overall, this is a tasty scottish ale, not one of my favorite styles but I'd say check it out if you dig the scottish ales. Thanks to babydoc for this one.

3.63/5  rDev -5.2%

Pours with a large off-white head which reduced to a skim layer. Lace grips the glass well. Color is dark caramel, fairly clear.

Aroma is malty, light biscuits mainly with a touch of dark caramel. Pretty clean smelling with some earthy hops. Kinda light overall though.

Taste is defined by the malts again, earthy and peat like but with some biscuits again. Hops compliment this and give it a touch of bitterness. good flavor but light again and pretty simple.

Mouthfeel seems okay, a bit thin though. Low carbonation levels. Good session drinkability. Light flavor and light body make this go down easily. I'd like to see it kicked up a notch or two overall.

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

4.54/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

4.09/5  rDev +6.8%

90 Shilling is a dark reddish amber color with a nice medium head. Its aroma has subtle hints of citrus and caramel. Very nice tasting with hints of fig and a good hoppy finish. It doesn't taste like a normal Scottish Ale. Overall, a very drinkable beer - one of my old reliables.

4.63/5  rDev +20.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

3.42/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a copper color with a very thin collar and wisps of head at the surface. Aroma is muted malt and a bit bready. Taste is light caramel, very lightly bitter, and some toasty malt. Light to medium body and medium carbonation lend to a decent mouthfeel.

Odell 90 Shilling Ale from Odell Brewing Company