Odell 90 Shilling Ale | Odell Brewing Company

Odell Brewing Company
Colorado, United States
odells.com

Style: Scottish Ale

We introduced 90 Shilling, our flagship beer, at our opening party in 1989. For a while, we'd been wondering what would happen if we lightened up the traditional Scottish ale? The result is an irresistibly smooth and delicious medium-bodied amber ale.

Added by Todd on 01-27-2001

Ratings: 1,801 |  Reviews: 490
1.12/5  rDev -71.2%

Guess i should have know this beer was going to suck sence it's from an American brewing company.. First thing i should say is this is NOT a Scottish ale, It is a way over hopped american amber ale.. I really hate the fact the americans think it's a good idea to dump a ton of hops into every beer they make even the styles of beer that arent suposed to have a ton of hops.. All these hops are doing i making me want to hop my way of of this country to get sore real beer

2.06/5  rDev -47%

This was a pretty lame Scottish ale. Lightening it up made it pretty boring and then adding more hops and higher combination just made that worse. It's got an interesting peppery taste that makes it a little above average compared to other boring American flagship beers, but it's just not on par with anything Scottish style.

2.11/5  rDev -45.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2

2.11/5  rDev -45.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

12 oz bottle, poured into a shaker pint at approximately 40 degress F.

Appearance: Pours into the glass a hazy amber, towards the reddish-orange side of the amber hue spectrum. Forms a very thin head of almost light orange bubbles, which rapidly become a cap and ring. Held to light, one can very faintly make out a few streams of tiny bubbles heading skyward from the bottom of the glass. I admit some degree of trepidation, as I have found that I tend not to see orange in a beer unless it has a noticeable hop presence.

Smell: No, I showered today. Ba dum bump. The aroma opens with light, sweet caramel malt, wreathed through with some subtle suggestions of fruit - pear, raisin, and something citrusy. A soft grassy tone is off in the distance, like a fuzzy horizon.

Taste: Caramel malt with some vague toffee hints spills onto the tongue first, and then the 90-ton citric-herbal-earthy hoproller cruises in to crush it into nonexistence - leaving just perfume on my palate. Definitely not what I look for in a Scotch ale.

Mouthfeel: Difficult to tell around the full frontal assault on my tastebuds, if I'm being honest. I suppose it feels like a Scotch ale.

Overall: Once again, my sensitivity to hop flavors has me arching an eyebrow at anyone who has reviewed this beer as "malty" and mentioned nothing of any hop presence at all. They are literally all I get out of this beer, aside from a brief flash of caramel malt at the outset. Will not repeat.

2.15/5  rDev -44.7%

Odell 90 Schilling Scottish Ale

A: Pours a light mohagany with ruby highlights. 1/4" of soda-like head...Nice colour, but the head is very odd.

S: Floral, bright scent--hops, and heather?. Some light to medium caramel malt. Sweetness lingers.

T: Odd floral hops and hop bitterness combines with a floral flavour to produce something not all that enjoyable. Crunchy malts lie in the background, but are swallowed by the other aspects. Artificial sweetness makes for an undesireable aftertaste.

M: Medium mouthfeel, with medium carbonation. Leaves the mouth semi-dry.

D: Not enjoyable as a Scotish 90- ale, or as a beer defying categorization. Not a fan.

2.42/5  rDev -37.8%

1/2 pint from cask,served via handpump at local Wetherspoons

A- Ruby red body with excellent clarity. 1 finger tan head with average/good retention and excellent lacing.

S- Light toasted malts mingle amongst some more complex toffeish sweeter malts. Must stress these are as subtle as can be, not much nose at all.

T- There is obvious malt notes there, sweeter toffee in the beginning becoming toastier with a touch of tea like dryness in the finish. Once again extremely subtle and perhaps the finish is not stereotypical of the style.

M- Medium carbonation and body.

D- Doesnt work for me. Lifeless nose and palate and what is there isnt true enough to style for me. Maybe im harsh possibly due to the travel its maybe done or poor cellarmanship, but underneath that it can hardly be branded a 90 shilling - a full bodied malt beast.

2.54/5  rDev -34.7%

Appearance: This beer was a lovely, deep copper color. It had a very light tan head that was dense and persisted the entire drink. It left a lot of lace on the glass.

Smell: This beer smelled great at first. It had a big, maltly smell that just made my mouth water. There was some hops aromas as well, though not as much as I would have expected from a beer classified as a pale. Not the typical pale ale smell. After I had a few drinks, however, a certain sour "twang" developed in the aroma that seemed like it just didn't belong. Kind of like an old kitchen dish rag. The more I drank, the stronger it seemed to be. Initially, I had the "smell" rated at a 4.5, but as I drank, I had to lower it.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth and medium bodied. A great pale ale mouthfeel.

Taste: There was an overwhelming odd flavor to this beer that accompanied the sour smell I detected in the aroma. There was a little bit of maltiness to this brew, but not much. I could detect only a little bit of hops bitterness. And this is supposed to be a pale ale?

Overall, this was a disappointing beer. I have liked all the other Odell offerings that I have had. Maybe I got a bad bottle? I will have to give this beer another try.

2.56/5  rDev -34.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer looks good and has a reasonable head but after that there's little to inspire here. A sulphury nose with some fruit can't do much to spice up a rather hollow centre which is ringed by some simple earthiness. Can't realy see how this can be called a 90 Shilling.
Classic case of a wannabe.

2.6/5  rDev -33.2%

2.66/5  rDev -31.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a CBS snifter...

A: 90 Shilling pours a clear, relatively dark copper color. About a finger of white head lasts for a few minutes until it fades down to a quarter finger of loose bubbles. Decent lacing on the sides. Fairly light and clear for the style.

S: Sweet, bready malt and a lot of citrus notes. A hint of pine resin hops. Not much complexity, a bit one note.

T: Sweet caramel malt, some mild hops. Very sticky and cloying. Kind of a watery taste. Freshness may be an issue here.

M: Well balanced, medium-light bodied with moderate carbonation.

O: This isn't anything impressive and doesn't really seem to be to style. It's somewhat thin and cloying, and certainly doesn't present anything interesting. A lot better options out there.

2.68/5  rDev -31.1%

A 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass. A Hazy amber liquid with golden hues near the edges, this beer evolves about a half inch of head before it fades to a thin foam layer. A grand amount of sticky, white lacing is left behind, enhancing the appearance. It smells of hops, faint citrus, a bit of smooth malt, and even fainter skunky/funky smell; something just seems off. This is reflected in the taste. It tries to find a middle ground between an amber and a scotch ale, but seems to fall short of excelling at either. Hops and very faint caramel lead the way before that odd skunk flavor takes over. Quite unfortunate. Mouthfeel is somewhat smooth, save a faint burning from the alcohol (which was surprising since there really wasn't a whole lot in there) and the rather unpleasant flavor. I'm a big fan of a number of Odell's products, but I won't be revisiting this one anytime soon. For some reason, it just doesn't do it for me.

2.7/5  rDev -30.6%

2.73/5  rDev -29.8%

Odell's 90 Shilling Ale pours a pleasant rich dark copper color with a small amount of cloudiness. A thin head dissipates quickly but hangs around enough to lace the glass nicely. The aroma is very faint, mainly highlighting the malt with little hops scent. The taste basically follows the scent - rather dull, with only a little hops flavor for this style of beer, with a slight smokiness. As it warms, it gets a little better, but overall the taste is mediocre, in my opinion. Mouthfeel is thin. Drinkability is only OK. The aftertaste suggested I might have an old bottle, but the "best before" date was 8/24/10, so perhaps the six pack I bought was warmed or otherwise mishandled along the way.

This is the third beer I have tried from this brewery. I think their St. Lupin Ale is very good, so with Odell terming this beer their "flagship" I was looking forward to trying it. For me, unfortunately, it was a disappointment.

2.78/5  rDev -28.5%

Bottle purchased in Pocatello on 9.4.12

A - Poursna clear deep amber with a one inch light tan head with good lacing.

S - Very malty and bitter.

T - Malty and lots of metal ruin it for me.

D - Good carbonation and a medium body.

O - Metal in beer is not a good flavor. It might be a bad bottle. I mean I did buy it in Idaho at an Albertsons. So, who knows?

2.83/5  rDev -27.2%

A Dark amber with an average size head, nothing special.

S Very faint smell, smells faintly like a loaf of bread. Maybe a little green apple.

T I think this taste more like an amber ale than any Scottish ale I've ever had. Not a lot of the piney/spicyness I had hopes for.

D Has a little too much funkyness to drink too many of these, not really worth my soeriety either.

O I've had better amber ales and way better Scottish ales before.

2.85/5  rDev -26.7%

12 oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass.

Pours a murky dark red with a small head that faded quickly. A bit cloudy.

The nose is fairly simple with a faint malt aroma, hints of cherry, and a general mustiness.

The taste reminds me of a mild red wine. Fruits, more cherry, grapes, and vague malts.

The trouble is, there really isn't much flavor. It was pretty simple and very drinkable, but with nearly no discernible character; in short, pretty boring.

After reviewing this beer, I've gone back to look at other BA reviews: most reviews seem pretty favorable. I can't help but wonder if my bottle was subjected to poor conditions in its life. I would be willing to give it another shot, but based on this tasting, I cannot justify giving it high marks.

Odell 90 Shilling Ale from Odell Brewing Company