Odell 90 Shilling Ale | Odell Brewing Company

Odell Brewing Company
Colorado, United States
odells.com

Style: Scottish Ale

We introduced 90 Shilling, our flagship beer, at our opening party in 1989. For a while, we'd been wondering what would happen if we lightened up the traditional Scottish ale? The result is an irresistibly smooth and delicious medium-bodied amber ale.

Added by Todd on 01-27-2001

Ratings: 1,771 |  Reviews: 484
2.86/5  rDev -25.3%

What the... Simply not Scottish in my opinion. Reviewing it as such is probably a disservice, but they named it and claimed it. Too much hop for a Scottish. I had it on draft last night, and the malt was more prevalent. From the bottle: I smell a pine forest in my pint, and the excessive carbonation makes it explode over the palate. There's malt around the corner, but kept at bay by the bittering, dry hop finish. There's a little caramel in there and some dried fruit hanging from the large hop whine. It makes for a decent amber. If my buddy served it to me and said he made it, I'd give him kudos. It's a nice homebrew. It's not Scottish, and it's not exciting no matter what you call it.

It's a simple beer. Come on, there is so much great beer out there this is a waste of time. It's a decent amber for frat boys trying to grow out of their Coors diapers. The hopping is boorish, and masks what is good about the beer, a nice malting. They call it a cross between an English pale ale and a Scottish ale. Uh, okay. That combination is dumb. Naming this beer "90 Shilling" is dumb. It's a drinkable American ("Colorado ale" as they call it) amber; a bad Scottish ale because of too much boring American hopping; a bad English pale ale because it's too sweet. This is an average micro-beer 10 years beyond deserving recognition. Now it's just a quaint player in a market full of dynamic offerings.

2.88/5  rDev -24.8%

2.93/5  rDev -23.5%

Served on tap into a generic pint glass -

A - non-transparent, dark copper/amber color with a creamy, off white, one finger head that dissipates quickly.

S - Not a very strong aroma. Cream, some caramel malt and no hops on the nose. I think its a bit cold, though.

T - better than the nose predicted. Buscuity and caramel malts nicely balanced by floral hops. Decent bitterness.

M - medium to full bodied and wet. Compliments the taste nicel

D - could be a decent session beer and widely available here in Fort Collins. That being said, I don't think its a great example of the style.

2.93/5  rDev -23.5%

A - Pours a darker reddish Brown with a finger of head leaving a light film.

S - Smells of Brown Sugar, Malts, Fragrant Hops, Scotch and Hot Dogs.

T - Tastes of Caramel, Minerals, Red Fruits, Citrus, and Red Apples. This beer does have weird taste that is hard to describe, it's almost like a burnt Hop bitterness.

M - Good Mouthfeel and a little tannic.

D - Drinkability is good but one is enough for me.

This beer is average for the style with a unique taste that I don't like too much.

2.95/5  rDev -23%

2.95/5  rDev -23%

12 oz. bottle,

A: Pours a dark amber, with a thick soapy white head. Thick lace.

S: Burnt toast, some bitter melon, bonfire, not really an appealing smell.

T: Lots of toast/grain flavour. Light hop - lemon/soil, has an American influence for sure.

M: Medium-bodied, crisp, nice overall body.

D: Another one of my must tries in AZ, I wasn't a huge fan of this, but I guess you can't like 'em all.

2.98/5  rDev -22.2%

12 oz bottle. Date stamp 9/17/11A. Reviewed on 6/26/11.

Pour: A thick, dirty white head pours out of the bottle, protecting a ruddy colored body. The head settles to a thin, dense cover, leaving foam clinging to the side of the glass.

Aromas: 'Meaty' aromas, with some smoke and a hint of saltiness. Some caramel sweetness, and some earthy qualities from the yeast. Hint of floral hops.

Mouth: Kola nut flavors, with a vague caramel sweetness. Bready malts, thick and nutty. Very creamy mid-palate. Slight smoke, and some vanilla flavors. Very light hopping on the finish. There's a very weird taste left in my mouth. Vaguely medicinal.

Not quite sure what to make of the finish, but it ruins this beer for me. I can't explain it at all, which I know doesn't help, but it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I was disappointed by this beer.

Poured this 12 oz. brown bottle into a becker. Label embossed with date of: 053107. The body was a clear dark leather color. The oatmeal colored head was minimal and fell to a thin cap/film quickly. No lacing.

Smell was spicy, fruity, and mildly grainy. Date-nut bread. Rich.

Taste was sweet grains. Caramel malts. The light hoppiness balances, but does not disrupt the style.

Mouthfeel was smooth and medium bodied. This is not my favorite style but it was nice.

Odell 90 Shilling Ale from Odell Brewing Company