Odell 90 Shilling Ale | Odell Brewing Company

Odell Brewing Company
Colorado, United States
odells.com

Style: Scottish Ale

We introduced 90 Shilling, our flagship beer, at our opening party in 1989. For a while, we'd been wondering what would happen if we lightened up the traditional Scottish ale? The result is an irresistibly smooth and delicious medium-bodied amber ale.

Added by Todd on 01-27-2001

Ratings: 1,806 |  Reviews: 490
4.19/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a shaker pint glass.

Look: Clear dark reddish copper. Cream colored head with bubbly retention, good lacing.

Aroma: Sweet, bready, with caramel and toffee.

Taste: Malty and sweet up front with tangy toffee and sweet buttery caramel. In the finish a wonderful hop presence balances the sweetness out, leaving a tea-like bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, slightly dry.

Overall: This is a delicious drinker, very easy to session.

3.93/5  rDev +1%

From a 355 ml bottle (best by June 5, 2013) into a globe glass.

A-This beer has a skinny, light-khaki head consisting of dense, smooth foam. The brew is deep amber in color and mostly clear.

S-The smell is smooth, balanced, and mild. There is some caramel malt, some lightly earthy hops, toast, and a bit of nuttiness.

T-The taste, like the smell, is a nice balance between smooth, lightly sweet malt flavors like toffee, caramel, on one hand, and a nice spicy, earthy hop flavor on the other hand. I also taste toast and nuttiness. The taste leans a bit more to the malty side, but the result is smooth and drinkable.

M-Feel is medium body with a smooth carbonation, not as heavy as some Scottish Ales.

O-This is a nice-drinking, if slightly mellow beer. I think the mellowness serves this beer well, because it is enjoyable, but not fatiguing or overly aggressive on the palate. A nice "unwind" type of beer that tastes good but doesn't require you to think too much. I am OK with that.

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

3.62/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into snifter. Appearance is a nice chestnut brown with clarity. Nose is grainy with light nutty notes, mild sweetness, and a hint of butterscotch. The taste is much of the same... Mild fruity qualities with again a bit of a buttery finish. Not sure if this is due to dirty tap lines or perhaps some diacetyl, but it actually works nicely with the beer. Mouthfeel is mild with moderate carbonation. Easy drinking with nice malty flavors.

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

3.17/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

We couldn't get Odell beers in Indiana, so when we moved to Arizona I fell in love. Their beers are really good, and I haven't been disappointed with anything I have had from them. For example, their IPA is delicious. Their double IPA, while not that hoppy, is a nice smooth flavor. They even do a double black IPA that is amazing! They recently dropped the price to $3.99 at Total Wine & More, and I grabbed a case!

Today we are doing the 90 Shilling. I have not had this beer, and have no idea what to expect. It's an aleā€¦ go figure! There is a wine associate at Total Wine that I chat with from time to time. He doesn't "get" beer and always jokes, "Any new ales or lagers in today?" He's funny!

This is a new journey for me and Odell, and I can't wait to drink this!

In the Glass: The beer is a light brown and has a nice thin white head. The lace is pretty good, and hang on to the side of the glass. It drops slowly, and just begs to be drank. Knowing what I do about Odell beers, I assume this is going to be great!

Nose: It smells like an ale. Not much going on in the nose, and I am getting subtle spices toward the end. Not much here, and I am not sure what that says about the flavor. Let's drink.

Flavor: There is a LOT more flavor here than I expected. At first there isn't much going on, and then as the beer slides across the back of the palate, the bubbles explode on the back of the tongue. The flavors I am getting are earthy and remind me a Washington state chardonnay. If you close your eyes, you can picture licking dirty rocks and chewing on pine cones. It's not a bad flavor, but it has a good earthy flavor that keeps me drinking.

Oh, and I will mention, that while writing this, I started chatting with JoShua McGuire (@Shua_MC on Twitter) about Odell and this beer. He seems to like the 90 Shilling and was drinking a Lugene when we were talking. Speaking of Lugene, if you like milk stouts, try it. But if you want to try a beer cocktail with that as the base, take 1 ounce of whipped cream or marshmallow puff vodka, mix the two together, and enjoy. You won't be sorry!)

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel starts thin and balanced, and then about halfway back it explodes with bubbles and those earthy flavors that I was talking about. It has a really nice complexity as you swallow, and the aftertaste (which is my favorite part of this beer) kicks in. Every time I swallow those flavors come rushing back to the surface. This is getting better as it heats up, too.

Aftertaste: I keep going back to those earthy flavors, but that is what I am tasting here. I wouldn't call this a dirty flavor, but it has a nice complexity that would pair nicely with food. I bet this would pair nicely with grilled meats or fried chicken. Maybe we can take a trip to Lo Lo's Chicken & Waffles and see. Highly out they have the 90 Shilling available, though!

Odell didn't let me down, but they also didn't blow me away with this offering. It's good, but not great. I would order this again, and will actually be looking for this on draft. I bet this is really good on draft. I bet this would even make a good cask beer. I can see this being served at room temperature. If you are a fan of Odell Brewing Company, then this should be a staple in your daily drinking.

4.75/5  rDev +22.1%