Odell 90 Shilling Ale | Odell Brewing Company

Odell Brewing Company
Colorado, United States
odells.com

Style: Scottish Ale

We introduced 90 Shilling, our flagship beer, at our opening party in 1989. For a while, we'd been wondering what would happen if we lightened up the traditional Scottish ale? The result is an irresistibly smooth and delicious medium-bodied amber ale.

Added by Todd on 01-27-2001

Ratings: 1,769 |  Reviews: 483
3.65/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.61/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.1/5  rDev +7%

I found it interesting this is an interpretation of a toned down iscotch ale. Certainly well balanced as far as hops and malts are concerned. A smoky taste of molasses and malts get a pick me up from the zestiness, and crispiness of the hops. Giving the 90 schilling a refreshing mouth feel. Very enjoyable to drink. I would imagine it pairs very well with many types of food as well as it fits drinking as a session. A nice pick me up of a buzz as well. A good selection to make, especially if you have never had the pleasure.

4.32/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

3.97/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

4.35/5  rDev +13.6%

This one was pretty good. While subtle, I quite enjoyed it. This was my first foray into the Scottish/Scot/Wee Heavy styles. I think I would like more robust flavors but this one would be good for throwing a few back. Something you probably can't do with the stronger ones.

There were flavors of malt, biscuit, and caramel. Slight hints in behind of dark fruit, such as raisins and fig. A slight nuttiness in there and perhaps just the smallest kiss of smoke. It all finishes with a ever so slight hop crispness at the end.

Would Drink Again: Yes
Would Purchase Again: Yes

3.94/5  rDev +2.9%

3.96/5  rDev +3.4%

4.34/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

3.73/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.04/5  rDev +5.5%

4.54/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.79/5  rDev -1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Appearance:
Huge fluffy head, white and very bubbly, the body is crystal clear, medium amber colored and filled with carbonation.
Smell:
Mild hops and malts, there are some strong sugary aromas, caramel and light chocolate appear after a few minutes. There is also a strong fruity smell, almost like a mixture of raisins and dates mixed in with some summer grass.
Taste:
There’s a fruity flavors that just overtakes the whole beer, again I can’t quite make out what it is but you can taste some raisins, brown sugar. The caramel starts off strong and quickly fades as it warms up giving way to more citrusy flavors.
Mouthfeel:
Light bodied, smooth.
Overall:
This is a fantastic ale, goes down smooth and a =m=n awesome flavor.

3.72/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.61/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

3.67/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.13/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

3.74/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

4.1/5  rDev +7%

2.11/5  rDev -44.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

12 oz bottle, poured into a shaker pint at approximately 40 degress F.

Appearance: Pours into the glass a hazy amber, towards the reddish-orange side of the amber hue spectrum. Forms a very thin head of almost light orange bubbles, which rapidly become a cap and ring. Held to light, one can very faintly make out a few streams of tiny bubbles heading skyward from the bottom of the glass. I admit some degree of trepidation, as I have found that I tend not to see orange in a beer unless it has a noticeable hop presence.

Smell: No, I showered today. Ba dum bump. The aroma opens with light, sweet caramel malt, wreathed through with some subtle suggestions of fruit - pear, raisin, and something citrusy. A soft grassy tone is off in the distance, like a fuzzy horizon.

Taste: Caramel malt with some vague toffee hints spills onto the tongue first, and then the 90-ton citric-herbal-earthy hoproller cruises in to crush it into nonexistence - leaving just perfume on my palate. Definitely not what I look for in a Scotch ale.

Mouthfeel: Difficult to tell around the full frontal assault on my tastebuds, if I'm being honest. I suppose it feels like a Scotch ale.

Overall: Once again, my sensitivity to hop flavors has me arching an eyebrow at anyone who has reviewed this beer as "malty" and mentioned nothing of any hop presence at all. They are literally all I get out of this beer, aside from a brief flash of caramel malt at the outset. Will not repeat.

4.88/5  rDev +27.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

The other beer, besides 5 barrel, that made me realize long ago that Odell is the TRUTH.

Get some.

3.89/5  rDev +1.6%

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

3.62/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Odell 90 Shilling Ale from Odell Brewing Company